food NW Shennanigans 11-8 BOOM!

Sometimes one computer or the other shows odd times on THP.  Not to Worry....it's always 5:00 somewhere!!!

:rofl:

No such thing as a "THP" time it is whatever timezone you have saved.

I just blame it on stray electrons.  Most of the time, when I log on to THP, the time stamps are correct.  Without making any changes in settings etc...sometimes when I log on, the time stamp is wonky.  Next time log on, it's back to normal. 

Stray electrons are rampant in the Methow.  We've just learned to ignore them. 

Grilled Flank Steak with Mole BBQ Sauce &
Smoked Salmon Sopa Seca &
Martini Grilled Prawns

Scovie's Mole BBQ Sauce.
 • 3/4 C. Ketchup
• 2 Tbs Butter
• 1 Tbs Unsweetened Cocoa powder
• 1 Tbs Espresso powder
• 1 Tbs Cider Vinegar
• 1 Tbs Mole asses
• 1-1/2 tsp French's Yellow Mustard
• 1-1/2 tsp Worchestershetchire Sauce
• 3/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
• 1 Tbs Pasilla Ancho Powder
• 1 Tbs grated Mexican Chocolate
• 1-1/2 tsp Red Habanero Powder
• 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
• 1/2 tsp Ground Oregano
• 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
• 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
• 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
• 3 Cranks of BP
Combine all ingredients and simmer for about a half hour adding liquid (broth or water) to get the consistency you like.
To die for.

Skirt Steak Dry-Rub
• 1 Tbs Scovie (or Ancho) Powder
• 1 Tbs Sea Salt
• 1 Tbs Smoked Paprika
• 1 tsp Garlic Powder
• 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
• 1 tsp Ground Cumin
Combine all ingredients, and add fresh chopped parsley.
Completely cover and pat spices into meat.
Let sit on the counter for about a half hour, and bring meat up to room temperature.
Grill to desired doneness, slice, and dish up.

Sopa Seca de Fideo
• 8 oz. Vermicell
• 2 Tbs Butter
• 3 Tbs Veg Oil
• 1 Med Chopped Onion
• 2 Cloves Pressed Garlic
• 1 can Anehiem Canned Serranos Chiles
• 28oz Can Whole (or Crushed) Tomatoes
• 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
• 1 tsp Epazoté
• 1 C. Frozen Peas
• 2 C. Chicken Broth
• Smoked Chinook Salmon
• Cream Cheese
• 1/2 & 1/2 To make a cream sauce
Crush noodles until they are about a half inch long.
Combine ingredients and cook similar to rice.
Portion some Sopa Seca in a sauté pan, and lightly sauté.
Add sour cream and half & half until it gets creamy.
Add Smoked Salmon, stir in and dish up.

Martini Prawn Marinade
• 1/2 C. Dry Vermouth
• 1/4 C. Olive Oil
• 1/4 C. Chopped Onion
• 1/4 C. Lemon Juice
• 2 Tsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
• 1 Tbs White Wine
• Worchesterschire Sauce
• 2 Cloves minced Garlic
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 1/2 tsp BP
• 21-25 Shrimps
Remove Prawns from marinade, skewer and grill.
Bring marinade to a boil and reduce by half then motor-boat.
Add 2 Tbs butter and put in a dish for dipping.

Follow my process here:
Salmon Brine: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39380-nw-posse-shennanigans/?p=828910

BBQ Sauce: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39380-nw-posse-shennanigans/?p=828719

Salmon and Prawns: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39380-nw-posse-shennanigans/?p=829033

Sopa Seca and Steak: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39380-nw-posse-shennanigans/?p=829170

Steak and Prawns: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39380-nw-posse-shennanigans/?p=829207

In thinking of this outdoor cooking Surf-n-turf challenge, about the only cooking style we haven't tried is pit cooking, like a clambake or pig roast.  Hubby wouldn't let me dig a pit in the front yard, so Plan B it is. 

Most clambakes have similar items to a shrimp or crab boil- corn, potatoes, onion, spices, bread, seafood and either kielbasa or Andouille sausage.  Without further adieu, I give you-

Salsalady's De-constructed Clambake

The Sides-
Corn, Potatoes, Onions, butter, CrazyGood Green Chile Dust, wrapped up in a triple layer of foil and baked in coals.

Italinan Herb Bread KaBobs-
This recipe works well for camping also.  The Ingredients can be put in a plastic bag, then just add water. 
4c Self-rising flour
1c parmesan cheese
1T Italian Herbs
1 3/4c water
1T olive oil (optional)

Mix it all up and let it rest for 20 minutes.  Bake it in a dutch oven, in foil or wrap blobs around a skewer and bake over hot coals.

Kielbasa and Andouille sausages-
Didn't get a picture of this, but all I did was chunk them up and cook on the grill on skewers until nice and toasted.

The Main Event-
Clams, Mussels, and Shrimp in a spicy clam broth, white wine and butter sauce

Saute minced shallots, garlic and red chiles (Santa Fe type something from the grocery store) in butter and extra virgin olive oil with fresh thyme and basil, capers, salt and pepper. 

Add a cup of clam broth, a splash of white wine, a dash of Lucky Dog's Roasted Garlic sauce, a squeeze of fresh lemon, and a sprinkle of Yellow Pepper Powder.  Bring to boil and add fresh (cleaned and de-bearded) mussels.  When they start to open, add the clams.  When they start to open, add the shrimp.  Saute/boil just until the shrimp turn pink. 

Serve it up with a big stack of napkins and Dig In!

This clam dish would be excellent over pasta.  I actually bought some linguine, but decided the potatoes were enough.  But it is so good, I'll be doing it again over pasta, with some garlic bread on the side. 

What Fun!  CHEERS everyone!

Everything is right about the food from both ...

I'd eat SD's beef and SL's seafood and leave the shrimp and potatoes and biscuits and corn for Danielle ...

Nice Job, Scovie!  The shrimp cocktail and smoked salmon vermicelli are really unique.  Was the shrimp sauce warm or cold? 

There's no way we could of pulled this off cooking in the same place.  :lol:

Thanks SL, You did a fantastic meal there too!
That shrimp dipping sauce was room temp. It was like Prawn butter.
Dipping the Baguette in there was better than the Prawns. LOL

We MAY have been able to pull it off, but copious amounts of liquor would have been necessary! :lol:

JayT said:
So much awesomeness!!!  Can I vote for both?  Hank is proud.

Yes, whoever did the poll made it multiple choice.

This is a serious vote folks. This ain't just a TD, this is to settle a long going dispute, who is the best backyard cook in the Methow. The people of the valley will be talking about this for years! All 39 of them.

Scoville DeVille said:
Thanks SL, You did a fantastic meal there too!
That shrimp dipping sauce was room temp. It was like Prawn butter.
Dipping the Baguette in there was better than the Prawns. LOL

We MAY have been able to pull it off, but copious amounts of liquor would have been necessary! :lol:
Mmmm that sounds good. 

You mean "copious amounts of liquor"  wasn't involved in your shenanigans???  AUTOMATIC FAIL!!!   :lol:

And perfect timing posting our results at the same time.  We did not plan that, but Great Minds Think Alike..;) 

(If I was smart, I'd concede to Scovie, then every time we get together he'd have to do all the cooking.  :rofl: )

grantmichaels said:

I'd eat SD's beef
:doh:

These both look awesome

I'm going to have to give this a lot of thought - SL was clever enough to incorporate my recent experimental roasted garlic sauce (sans peppers) - and since I know what that tastes like it's got me leaning towards hers...

Gonna mull it over....

That mole BBQ sauce looks killer but it needs to be on chicken not a perfectly cooked and crusted flank, in my opinion, a chimichurri or salsa fresca would have added a nice fresh acidic bite and complemented the meat and not covered it with all those flavors. The spiced crust had the flavors needed.

SL's New England deconstructed clam bake looks great, deconstructed is cool for those that don't want seafood taste in their corn and potatoes. I wish you got a shot of the sausages, but that was a good idea too, skewers, and not in the bake, for those non-seafood lovers at the party. Biscuits too (Sausage sammies or sopping broth). I think SL nailed it, something for everyone, meat, seafood, veg lovers, whudda-thunk it would be in a clam bake, but she deconstructed it. If that bake was multiplied by 10 you could have a serious par-tay! Kudos.

Vote: SL

Back