• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 144
Devv said:
I first started making the biochar using a 55 gallon drum that I cleaned and then burned clean. I then fitted a 30 or 35 gallon drum inside of the 55, using 3/4" rods to hold it up, so I could just close the 55 gallon drum cover. I also had a lid for the smaller barrelI.I cut a 6" high by 10" wide "door" on the bottom of the 55 gal drum. And built my fire under the smaller barrel. At about four hours I tipped the barrels over and wet the char to make sure it didn't burn up.

I then built this:

http://www.devtex.net/images/kiln.pdf

I'll look for a pic...

OK, sometimes it's just easier to take a new pic..LOL than find the originals..

206.jpg

I made this from an old BBQ firebox that got too warped to control the heat. It's 3/8" thick, and damn heavy! Put angle iron legs and a firebox on the bottom. Along with the stack on top.

207.jpg

Inside is the box the raw wood goes in, complete with the pipe to use re-use the wood gas in the heating process as per the plans. I call it Frankenstein ;)  I use it to make charcoal from mesquite, and I guess I need to make some more biochar, can't have enough of the good stuff ;) I've posted this before a few years ago, haven't used ti much lately.

A very cool design Scott! How do you recirculate the wood gas back through the firebox? That should be easy enough to do with the Redneck Retort too.

Your grow looks great, Charles - nice plants and pods coming along!

Our night temps are starting to hover around 51 now, daytime highs in the low 70's
with cloudy, variable weather.  Have had at least a half inch of rain in past 36-48 hrs.

Devv said:
That pipe in the center has a 1 to 2" gap at the top, allowing the pressure in the inner box to push the gas back down to the fire box. I never tried to make it look pretty, just made it to work...LOL

That's all that matters Scott... I'm more into function than cosmetics myself. ;)

How are things coming along out your way Chuck? Haven't heard much from you lately, and I expect you're elbow-deep in your harvest. I dried your box of pepper love, and will probably be using it for stir-fries this winter. Cheers!

stickman said:
That's all that matters Scott... I'm more into function than cosmetics myself. ;)

How are things coming along out your way Chuck? Haven't heard much from you lately, and I expect you're elbow-deep in your harvest. I dried your box of pepper love, and will probably be using it for stir-fries this winter. Cheers!
Hey Rick. Things are moving along slowly. I haven't got a ripe Aji Pineapple yet. Been picking plenty of Goats Weed. The tomatoes will be done in the next week. I'll pull them and start constructing the Hoophouse. I've got the materials to build two more hoops. I'm going to throw all my container plants under the Hoophouse and cover with plastic. I'll see if I can extend my season. I dug 5 post holes for my privacy fence. I also recieved the rest of the parts for my COB led build. Going to retire the fluorescent's. I've been staying busy for sure. I also have been taking computer classes at the local community college. Trying to learn more than just searching the web. Learned Word last week and this week we will work on Excel. This is all new to me.

PaulG said:
Your grow looks great, Charles - nice plants and pods coming along!

Our night temps are starting to hover around 51 now, daytime highs in the low 70's
with cloudy, variable weather.  Have had at least a half inch of rain in past 36-48 hrs.
Thanks Paul. Fall is going to arrive soon here. We've had the almost exact weather. It did heat back up to the 80s in the day.

Thanks for stopping by you guys. I'll update with pictures as soon, as I have something to share.

Good on ya for taking the computer classes!

I moved to that after 25 years of auto tech, am now in my 17th year. It's a field in demand, as many just don't understand it. Excel is a great way to get into data management. Save a spreadsheet into a csv file. Then rename it into a txt file and open it in notepad. It will really help you understand how data is managed. A csv file IS the common language for different database systems to "talk". They ALL understand a csv. Be it Microsoft SQL, or Sybase, Postgresql, Mysql, and the list goes on. It also has some really cool functions. I use it to add 3rd grade kiddo's to our Active Directory. My export is in caps, I use the excel to take 150 names and lower case them, then combine the first and last name into a username...OK I'm rambling here. Nuff said ;)

Keep learning! :party:

Devv said:
Good on ya for taking the computer classes!

I moved to that after 25 years of auto tech, am now in my 17th year. It's a field in demand, as many just don't understand it. Excel is a great way to get into data management. Save a spreadsheet into a csv file. Then rename it into a txt file and open it in notepad. It will really help you understand how data is managed. A csv file IS the common language for different database systems to "talk". They ALL understand a csv. Be it Microsoft SQL, or Sybase, Postgresql, Mysql, and the list goes on. It also has some really cool functions. I use it to add 3rd grade kiddo's to our Active Directory. My export is in caps, I use the excel to take 150 names and lower case them, then combine the first and last name into a username...OK I'm rambling here. Nuff said ;)

Keep learning! :party:
Thanks Scott. Sounds interesting. It's all foreign to me. I had to google Word, Office, and Excel. Im not getting any younger. My knees are shot and I don't know how much longer I can do labor intensive jobs. I need more education to get out of this field. I've got to start somewhere. If I get stumped, I'll knock on your door.

There's definitely no moss on you Chuck! Lol! Good on ya for taking computer courses. I hear you 'bout needing to find a steady job where brawn isn't necessary... none of us is getting any younger, and the bills don't stop 'til you do.

I hope you take lots of pics when you set up your hoophouse.

I'm sending positive energy your way in the hope it'll help your Aji Pineapples ripen. All three of my plants are producing ripe pods now, so hopefully it will be soon. I know it seemed like it took mine a long time to ripen, but when they did, they seemed to come fairly quickly. I saved the seeds from about half of your Goat's Weed pods before drying them so I should be good with them for the foreseeable future... thanks again!

Wishing you Chuck lots of sun so your Aji Pineapples ripen soon ... also good on you with the computer course .. they laugh at me at work because I type with one finger as I am doing now

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Scott. Sounds interesting. It's all foreign to me. I had to google Word, Office, and Excel. Im not getting any younger. My knees are shot and I don't know how much longer I can do labor intensive jobs. I need more education to get out of this field. I've got to start somewhere. If I get stumped, I'll knock on your door.
 Chuck, I  must say it takes a lot to study up and change careers in mid life. If I was able do it anybody can. ;) If you ever need help just holler.

I will say this, as far as computers go. If you see some error, or have a goal, google it. I guess the best thing you can do is get a used clunker, that you don't care about. Get adventurous, break it and learn to fix it. As I mentioned before, google it. I'm forever using the research I gather from google. What do I need to do to satisfy a request, solve a problem? I just read and try to make the best choice after reviewing several answers, as not all are the one. The best thing I did career wise was to get a job in a school district. I did this at 41. Nice to work inside, versus the Texas heat. The days off are killer. I work 226 days and just 8 hours a day versus 11-12 I did when working on cars. With only 5 days off a year. AND health insurance is reasonable, plus the retirement. I took a major pay hit at the get go, but it's come back around in the last 10 years.

Go for it!

stickman said:
There's definitely no moss on you Chuck! Lol! Good on ya for taking computer courses. I hear you 'bout needing to find a steady job where brawn isn't necessary... none of us is getting any younger, and the bills don't stop 'til you do.

I hope you take lots of pics when you set up your hoophouse.

I'm sending positive energy your way in the hope it'll help your Aji Pineapples ripen. All three of my plants are producing ripe pods now, so hopefully it will be soon. I know it seemed like it took mine a long time to ripen, but when they did, they seemed to come fairly quickly. I saved the seeds from about half of your Goat's Weed pods before drying them so I should be good with them for the foreseeable future... thanks again!
Trident chilli said:
Wishing you Chuck lots of sun so your Aji Pineapples ripen soon ... also good on you with the computer course .. they laugh at me at work because I type with one finger as I am doing now
Devv said:
Chuck, I  must say it takes a lot to study up and change careers in mid life. If I was able do it anybody can. ;) If you ever need help just holler.

I will say this, as far as computers go. If you see some error, or have a goal, google it. I guess the best thing you can do is get a used clunker, that you don't care about. Get adventurous, break it and learn to fix it. As I mentioned before, google it. I'm forever using the research I gather from google. What do I need to do to satisfy a request, solve a problem? I just read and try to make the best choice after reviewing several answers, as not all are the one. The best thing I did career wise was to get a job in a school district. I did this at 41. Nice to work inside, versus the Texas heat. The days off are killer. I work 226 days and just 8 hours a day versus 11-12 I did when working on cars. With only 5 days off a year. AND health insurance is reasonable, plus the retirement. I took a major pay hit at the get go, but it's come back around in the last 10 years.

Go for it!
Thanks a lot guys. I needed some encouragement. I have a meeting with a student advisor. I will take some tests to see how smart I am. I suck at academics. I haven't had to use anything they taught me in school. I'm good with a measuring tape and basic arithmetic. Can't even remember what calculus was about. I shouldn't put myself down. I'm going to be 40 Jan. 2nd. I've managed to stay clean and sober for 8 years. 9 years on February 25th. If I can do that, I can do anything. One thing that has taught me is, it's never to late to change.

No change in the garden. I'm going to pick the rest of the tomatoes this next week. I'll pull them and get some hoops up. Hope you all have a great weekend. I went to Moab for the weekend yesterday. The place we rented was a disaster. We didn't even unpack. We turned around and came home last night. Well I tried to get away from the house and take it easy. LOL. I just can't seem to sit still when I'm at home.

OCD Chilehead said:
 I tried to get away from the house and take it easy. LOL. I just can't seem to sit still when I'm at home.

I definitely know that feeling Chuck!  I used to go fishing a lot before I became a property owner. Between maintenance and the garden I've only been out once this summer... :rolleyes:

Hi Chuck,

How good are you at problem solving? Meaning, when in a given situation, regardless of what it is, when it comes to making something work. How do you rate yourself? Not one to knock education mind you, as I only have high school. But I do work in an environment where many have BA's and Masters degrees, and they (many)  can do only one thing, their job. Get them outside of their comfort zone and forget it. They hire peeps to do everything. 

I don't think that's you, not from what I've seen.

Here's where I come from:

I can read, I can understand what I read. And do thank a teacher for that!

So there. Now the boundaries are unlimited. If I can read about it. I can do it. That's my thing. No one can stop me from learning and moving forward. Be confident in yourself. You have what it takes for sure!

stickman said:
I definitely know that feeling Chuck!  I used to go fishing a lot before I became a property owner. Between maintenance and the garden I've only been out once this summer... :rolleyes:
I hear ya Rick. Property owner and I take care of my moms house as well. I like to ride my Harley when I can. My favorite thing to do is hanging out with my son.
Devv said:
Hi Chuck,

How good are you at problem solving? Meaning, when in a given situation, regardless of what it is, when it comes to making something work. How do you rate yourself? Not one to knock education mind you, as I only have high school. But I do work in an environment where many have BA's and Masters degrees, and they (many)  can do only one thing, their job. Get them outside of their comfort zone and forget it. They hire peeps to do everything. 

I don't think that's you, not from what I've seen.

Here's where I come from:

I can read, I can understand what I read. And do thank a teacher for that!

So there. Now the boundaries are unlimited. If I can read about it. I can do it. That's my thing. No one can stop me from learning and moving forward. Be confident in yourself. You have what it takes for sure!
I would rate myself very high in the mechanical problem solving field. I can usually take something apart that is broken, tell you why it doesn't work, and how to fix it. I understand how things work. I like the show "How's it made" LOL

I'm the same way. If I have a book to work with I'm more than confident to do the job. That's what I did with my 09 Harley. I bought a official Harley shop manual. Two of them actually. One for mechanical and one for electrical. Rebuilt the motor with no problems.

I'm trying to stay confident in the unknown. I was feeling anxious out of the blue earlier today. I said the hell with that. Took some deep breaths and did 10 quick push-ups. Anxiety gone. LOL. The mind can make or break you.

Hey y'all. I must apologize for the absent glog. Been busy racing Winter. Got my privacy fence built, some other miscellaneous things done. Pulled the tomatoes. Lost about 80% to skunks, mice and grasshoppers. Should have stuck to the peppers. Live and learn. My favorite tomato I grew was one called Champion. Got two hoops up and squared. Need to build two more. It's 12x18. I could go a couple more feet. 18 is good enough. If I need more space, I'll build another one. I'm building a COB LED growlight. Need to drill, tap and mount. Just made a frame for them. Anyways.

Just pulled pod's today. Very happy.

Thanks Terry, Rick, and Jason for the pod's you guys sent to hold me over. Very kind of you all. Nothing like fresh pod's.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 61
I love it!

Great to see that harvest! Those hoop houses will serve you well, just ask Rick ;)

And that soil! I see some really nice looking garden soil there! All the hard work does have it's rewards!

Devv said:
I love it!

Great to see that harvest! Those hoop houses will serve you well, just ask Rick ;)

And that soil! I see some really nice looking garden soil there! All the hard work does have it's rewards!
Thanks, Scott. I appreciate it.

The soil is improving. It's still on the clay side. The key to clay is not compacting. I tilled it at the beginning of the season. It was still soft, when I pulled the tomato plants. I will till more compost and chips into the soil. I'm trying to get 4 rows in the plot. I want 8 plants per row, so 32 plants. I'll do a container garden as well.

Back