• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 155
JuanHubero said:
The only reason I even bought from the nursery is because they were selling them for $2 each.  It was too good to pass up.  So I picked up 4 Bhuts and 4 Reapers on a whim.  Thankfully, the Bhuts grew out pretty true, or true enough for my liking.  But the Reapers definitely did not.  I still feel that I got my money's worth from them though, regardless.

Oh, and the majority of the plants I grew this year were from RFC.  I ordered one of his FB plant specials in the spring, and I am really glad that i did.  I wound up getting a lot of peppers from the ones I put outside...and I still have a Chocolate Hab, Chocolate Bhutlah, Chocolate Brain Strain, and Red Bhutlah x Bubblegum 7 that I will be keeping inside until next spring.  I'm using them to experiment with trimming and training techniques, and also seeing if I can keep them alive all winter long.
Glad to hear your Duffy plants are doing well. Good luck on the OW. Red Bhutlah x BBG7 is a nice one.

randyp said:
Chuck, I just finished your entire glog,Added yours to Dew's and Rick's which I follow religiously.I worked 7 years for a huge greenhouse in maintenance and replaced all the roofs.20 x 60's and bigger.Are you running a top pipe end to end,And are you thinking of putting in a roll up so you can open it on nice days?
Thanks Randy. I hope the glog wasn't to painful. LOL. It wasn't as exciting as sone seasons. This year I focused on the ground. Tried to just bring it to life. I believe it's there. Next year will be a good year I believe.

I'm planning on making a roll up side. I don't know if I'll be able to use the plastic in the peak of Summer. I'm afraid that if I leave the plastic in in the Summer, the plants will cook. It stays in the 90's all Summer long. It stays in the upper 50's at night. It's a dry heat as well. The Sun is intense at this elevation. My Chinese do better in the shade. I'll put up shade cloth all Summer long. I'll need the plastic in the Spring and Fall.

I'm going to add a top rail. I was looking at some hoophouses and some people put their bracing on the outside and some in the inside. I'm going to start with a frame on the bottom. I'll probably put bracing at 10 and 2. Here is some pics of a Hoophouse at one of my local nurseries. See how they put their braces on the outside? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 80
That's a good idea to make your list for next year while its fresh on your mind. I really need to down size next year. My plants got too big and there are way more than I care to have. Definitely gonna my to focus more on the varieties I used the most.

It hasn't been a very exciting glog this year. Worked more on soil improvement than anything else. Everything grew big and healthy. Not bad for virgin clay soil. Next year should have better results.
stickman said:
If you're gonna have roll-up sides on your hoophouse Chuck... the 2x4 bracing outside is handy to fasten the rolled-up edges to... like the pics in the previous post. Cross-bracing at the top I would put inside as a rail to hang things from.
Thanks Rick. I'll take all the advice I can get. I'm going to frame it all in, in the next week. I'll put plastic over it for Winter. I want to be able to work in it off and in this Winter. Don't want to shovel snow. It's nice having a clean work spot. Once it's framed I'll start adding to the walls of it.
PaulG said:
Oh, man, would I like to have some
greenhouses like that!
I could only imagine the grow you would have. Freaking epic.

randyp said:
Chuck the shade they use on greenhouses will do wonders for your fear of plastic.Use 6ml plastic,you can walk on it,lol
Thanks for the heads up Randy. I think the stuff I have is 6mil.

Ozzy2001 said:
That's a good idea to make your list for next year while its fresh on your mind. I really need to down size next year. My plants got too big and there are way more than I care to have. Definitely gonna my to focus more on the varieties I used the most.
Thats what I did this year. Focused on Goats Weed and Aji Pineapple this year. I use a lot of that for cooking and powder in the Winter. Next year I'm going bigger. I prepped the ground covered in composted wood chips, ran drip irrigation and left them alone. No weeding. Just had to make adjustments to water timer when it rained. Everything will be self automated next year. More time to enjoy the garden.

I pulled the plants and recycled my potting soil into the earth. I'll start fresh next year with new container soil. I've used over and over agin for the past 3 years. I will reuse my bed soil. I'm moving the beds from the front of the house to the back. To hot in the front of the house. I'll add more top soil to hold water. Maybe some bio char as well. I'll keep posting pics of the hoophouse for reference. 20x12 is my final dimensions. Thanks to you all that followed me this year. Thanks to all of you that sent me pods. I'm hoping I get to pay you back next year. Plan on doing isolations kn a lot F1's and more. Very excited. I might start some seeds be for the end of the year. I would like to do some cloning in some varieties. If it all works out, I'll have some plants to send out. Time to fire up the dehydrator.
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG

OCD Chilehead said:
Nothing much going on here. Fall is here. My plants are dropping leaves. I'm hoping the weather holds long enough to harvest the rest of my pod's. Got the last hoop built, and up. Need to just brace it up. My grow light is just about finished will get some pics when I fire it up. I wish, I was back at the cabin. LOL
Man, that place is really great! Well captured on pics!
Glad to see plants are fine!

Very well done Chuck!

I'm glad to see all the soil work and the hoop structure, which will extend your season quite a bit ;)

Looking forward to your endeavors next season!

Thank you all.

I picked up a brand new label machine from a yard sale. Decided to put it to use.

I have some decisions to make. I have 65 spots for sure next year. We all know that's just the start. Picking up the lumber for the hoophouse frame Monday. Will take some reference pics of that as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 77
OCD Chilehead said:
It hasn't been a very exciting glog this year. Worked more on soil improvement than anything else. Everything grew big and healthy. Not bad for virgin clay soil. Next year should have better results. Thanks Rick. I'll take all the advice I can get. I'm going to frame it all in, in the next week. I'll put plastic over it for Winter. I want to be able to work in it off and in this Winter. Don't want to shovel snow. It's nice having a clean work spot. Once it's framed I'll start adding to the walls of it.
I could only imagine the grow you would have. Freaking epic.

Thanks for the heads up Randy. I think the stuff I have is 6mil.

Thats what I did this year. Focused on Goats Weed and Aji Pineapple this year. I use a lot of that for cooking and powder in the Winter. Next year I'm going bigger. I prepped the ground covered in composted wood chips, ran drip irrigation and left them alone. No weeding. Just had to make adjustments to water timer when it rained. Everything will be self automated next year. More time to enjoy the garden.

I pulled the plants and recycled my potting soil into the earth. I'll start fresh next year with new container soil. I've used over and over agin for the past 3 years. I will reuse my bed soil. I'm moving the beds from the front of the house to the back. To hot in the front of the house. I'll add more top soil to hold water. Maybe some bio char as well. I'll keep posting pics of the hoophouse for reference. 20x12 is my final dimensions. Thanks to you all that followed me this year. Thanks to all of you that sent me pods. I'm hoping I get to pay you back next year. Plan on doing isolations kn a lot F1's and more. Very excited. I might start some seeds be for the end of the year. I would like to do some cloning in some varieties. If it all works out, I'll have some plants to send out. Time to fire up the dehydrator.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0097.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_0098.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_0099.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_0093.JPG

OCD Chilehead said:
Thank you all.

I picked up a brand new label machine from a yard sale. Decided to put it to use.

I have some decisions to make. I have 65 spots for sure next year. We all know that's just the start. Picking up the lumber for the hoophouse frame Monday. Will take some reference pics of that as I go.

It's all looking good for 2017 Chuck! I ended this season with about 60 plants, and 40 of them were Gochus... that's plenty of heat for anybody unless they're planning on going into wholesale. :)  Cheers!

stickman said:
It's all looking good for 2017 Chuck! I ended this season with about 60 plants, and 40 of them were Gochus... that's plenty of heat for anybody unless they're planning on going into wholesale. :)  Cheers!
Thanks Rick. I agree, more than enough heat. I have a lot of unstable hybrids. I really want to grow them out and see what happens. In the past I've sent out pods to those less fortunate. That happened to me this year with my supers. Next year I would like to share with you guys. That's if nothing goes wrong. I think my first season was the only season that didn't have any problems. Every season after that I get hailed or it's to hot. I'm combating with the hoophouse and shade cloth next year. I want to get an early start. I'll start more than enough seedlings just in case it backfires.

Devv said:
Can't wait to see your grow next year Chuck!

My goal is to sow seeds right after Christmas and hope for the best ;)
Thanks Scott!
I'm right with you on the seeds. Let me know if there anything you want.

Been working hard at home and away. Manage to get home before nightfall and get my frame built for my house. Need to get the other two hoops up and I'll frame the end walls.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 75
Wow, Charles, that's going to be an awesome space for your plants.

Nice variety of seeds.  Good luck choosing...

Back