• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

OCD Chilehead said:
Just got in the results of my soil test. PH is high and Nitrogen low. Everything else looks good.

What do you guys think? Hope you can read it.
"PAGING RICK"he is the wizard on testing Chuck.Everything looks good.My plant out is delayed 1-week thanks to your weather that is catching us now thru the weekend.If your hoop house gets warm open door put a box fan blowing "OUT" of the house and open your sides.I worked in a greenhouse and fans pulling air over watered cardboard type material was how they do it.I think hog confinement houses use the same principle.

OCD Chilehead said:
Just got in the results of my soil test. PH is high and Nitrogen low. Everything else looks good.

What do you guys think? Hope you can read it.

That's a great result Chuck! 7% organic matter is excellent! Trace minerals is excellent too... the pH though is a killer for growing peppers... they'd be happy with a pH of 7 or even happier a little lower... around 6.7

You might want to think about adding sulfur to your soil to lower the pH... probably in the fall... or maybe an acidulating fertilizer to add nitrogen along with with helping neutralize the pH. Espoma's Holly-Tone fertilizer is an organic that can do that for you. Read up on them first though, and how they interact with your type of soil. Be aware that it might take more than one season to get your soil fully dialed in... some amendments are hard to get rid of if you add too much. Better to be a bit conservative.

Cheers!

randyp said:
"PAGING RICK"he is the wizard on testing Chuck.Everything looks good.My plant out is delayed 1-week thanks to your weather that is catching us now thru the weekend.If your hoop house gets warm open door put a box fan blowing "OUT" of the house and open your sides.I worked in a greenhouse and fans pulling air over watered cardboard type material was how they do it.I think hog confinement houses use the same principle.
Thanks Randy.

I built a door at each end. Thought I might be able to open them both in the day. If I was home all day that wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to cover it with shade cloth don't think that will keep the temps down though. I may see if I can hook a thermostat up to a little blower fan. Mount it inside blowing out. Then it could draw fresh air in from the other side. I haven't decided yet. I may put a couple windows in at each end as well. I was at the local green house and they do indeed have huge swamp coolers.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Randy.

I built a door at each end. Thought I might be able to open them both in the day. If I was home all day that wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to cover it with shade cloth don't think that will keep the temps down though. I may see if I can hook a thermostat up to a little blower fan. Mount it inside blowing out. Then it could draw fresh air in from the other side. I haven't decided yet. I may put a couple windows in at each end as well. I was at the local green house and they do indeed have huge swamp coolers.
Hey, Charles.  When I use shade cloth on my greenhouse it
lowers the temps by about 10˚F.  

PaulG said:
Hey, Charles.  When I use shade cloth on my greenhouse it
lowers the temps by about 10˚F.  
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know to much about this greenhouse growing. All new to me. I'm thinking of wiring a thermostat and blower to suck out heat in the day. It stays in the 90's all summer. So I'm just taking a guess, must get to well over 120 when it's 90 in the shade. That's what I'm the most afraid of.

stickman said:

That's a great result Chuck! 7% organic matter is excellent! Trace minerals is excellent too... the pH though is a killer for growing peppers... they'd be happy with a pH of 7 or even happier a little lower... around 6.7

You might want to think about adding sulfur to your soil to lower the pH... probably in the fall... or maybe an acidulating fertilizer to add nitrogen along with with helping neutralize the pH. Espoma's Holly-Tone fertilizer is an organic that can do that for you. Read up on them first though, and how they interact with your type of soil. Be aware that it might take more than one season to get your soil fully dialed in... some amendments are hard to get rid of if you add too much. Better to be a bit conservative.

Cheers!
Thanks Rick!

I was surprised by the results. The organics was weird. It's still looks like clay to me. LOL! I new the ph was going to be high. You can see the alkaline on the surface around here. Im amazed at the other stuff in it. I'm thinking that my tap water will lower the ph. It's usually around 7. I'll have to see what my Garden Tone PH is. I add a cup in the hole before I plant. I mix it up with soil of coarse. I could add some peat at the end of the year to drop the ph as well. If I was adding liquid nutrients, my Flora Nova drops the PH to around 6.3 in my water.

Last year was my first time growing in the ground. I've always been a container grower. In containers, it doesn't really matter what your soil PH is, as long as you PH your water. The PH of the water will correct the soil. Or soilless in my case. In the ground I see it as being a little more tricky. That's why I'm keeping the rows in a mound. A little more controlled.

I managed to get the hoophouse braced up. It's starting to look like a the real deal. I looked at some used windows today. I may put a couple in if I can talk the guy down in price.

Attachments

• IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 56
Congrats on the soil test ;)

The N is manageable, the PH: I'm in the same boat. That's why I collect rainwater, it's more acidic than my well. But I need more...lots more..LOL

I can't wait to see all of this come together. A ton of work! But not when it's fun stuff; and to me that's what all of this is, is fun. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Keep it green!

Devv said:
Congrats on the soil test ;)

The N is manageable, the PH: I'm in the same boat. That's why I collect rainwater, it's more acidic than my well. But I need more...lots more..LOL

I can't wait to see all of this come together. A ton of work! But not when it's fun stuff; and to me that's what all of this is, is fun. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Keep it green!
Thanks Scott!

Tomorrow we put the plastic on. I saved some stuff for my son and I to work on together. Plastic and some bracing. We may build a door as well.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Rick!

I was surprised by the results. The organics was weird. It's still looks like clay to me. LOL! I new the ph was going to be high. You can see the alkaline on the surface around here. Im amazed at the other stuff in it. I'm thinking that my tap water will lower the ph. It's usually around 7. I'll have to see what my Garden Tone PH is. I add a cup in the hole before I plant. I mix it up with soil of coarse. I could add some peat at the end of the year to drop the ph as well. If I was adding liquid nutrients, my Flora Nova drops the PH to around 6.3 in my water.

Last year was my first time growing in the ground. I've always been a container grower. In containers, it doesn't really matter what your soil PH is, as long as you PH your water. The PH of the water will correct the soil. Or soilless in my case. In the ground I see it as being a little more tricky. That's why I'm keeping the rows in a mound. A little more controlled.

The organics in soil is mostly stuff too small to see, including the soil biota, but it's what makes the soil dark. Good idea to test the pH of your tap water if you're going to use it to irrigate. Peat moss will gradually lower your soil pH, but it also has growth inhibitors in it. Not a big problem in small doses, but maybe not what you'd want in your garden soil in big ones. I think adding sulfur or Ammonium Sulfate might be a better idea. Holly Tone fertilizer already has the elemental sulfur added in the correct amounts if used as directed. https://www.espoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Esp_Holly.pdf
You might also be interested in this paper by the university of Utah extension   http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1954&context=extension_curall
From what I see in it, your peppers will be happy with a soil pH of 7.5, which is higher than I would have predicted.

Have fun working on the hoophouse with your son this weekend. :party:
Cheers!

stickman said:

The organics in soil is mostly stuff too small to see, including the soil biota, but it's what makes the soil dark. Good idea to test the pH of your tap water if you're going to use it to irrigate. Peat moss will gradually lower your soil pH, but it also has growth inhibitors in it. Not a big problem in small doses, but maybe not what you'd want in your garden soil in big ones. I think adding sulfur or Ammonium Sulfate might be a better idea. Holly Tone fertilizer already has the elemental sulfur added in the correct amounts if used as directed. https://www.espoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Esp_Holly.pdf
You might also be interested in this paper by the university of Utah extension   http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1954&context=extension_curall
From what I see in it, your peppers will be happy with a soil pH of 7.5, which is higher than I would have predicted.

Have fun working on the hoophouse with your son this weekend. :party:
Cheers!
Thanks for the information. I'll look into the sulfur. I use the Espoma products. They are top notch in my book. I've already invested in fertilizer last year at seasons end. I don't want to over do it. My Aji Pineapple and some other plants did well last year. You really know your soil. Like I said before, I've been a container grower for years. This is all new to me.

Thank you for all your help.

Superhot Sim said:
That hoop house is going to give you a he'll of a season Chuck, and your efforts will be well rewarded. Having fun with your son helping is what makes it all worth while.
Happy gardening and a good weekend.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Thank you Sir. You too!

I try do as many memorable things with him I can. I showed him how to lay out the hole patter for the braces and then he drilled the holes after clamping it. I let him hammer the carriage bolts in and bolt the pieces together. The more he knows the better off he'll be in life.

Back