• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

Trident chilli said:
Great update Chuck ... you are flying and that BBG Pumpkin look is a winner
Masher said:
Sure looks like you are on your way chuck...love those calyx's on those pumkin pods.  very cool looking pods.

Happy growing growing bud  ;)
bpiela said:
I just ordered some of those Orange BBG's as well.  They look awesome!
They do look good, don't they? Not many Orange varieties. Another hybrid. I hope half of what I've started has something cool. I may isolate whole plants or use some bags on certain branches. We shall see when that time comes. Rick made his own bags last year. May have to try that.

Devv said:
Nice looking load there Chuck!

I just drool every time I drive by one of those places ;)

I'm way behind, I need to finish shredding my leaves. First plants hit the dirt next week!
I wasn't able to gather enough leaves this year. If I have the time, I'll gather materials this Summer and compost. Then I'll add it in the Fall.

My little trick to get the leaves, is to give the peeps who rake them at the school district hot sauces and peppers. Our Live Oaks drop their leaves starting last week and for the next 2 weeks or so. So I need to rake them. Just not enough hours in a day! The Live Oaks are a unique tree, as they drop their leaves in the early spring the new ones are coming out as the tree flowers. They are never without leaves. They pollen so heavily that they turn your vehicles a greenish/brown.

OCD Chilehead said:
They do look good, don't they? Not many Orange varieties. Another hybrid. I hope half of what I've started has something cool. I may isolate whole plants or use some bags on certain branches. We shall see when that time comes. Rick made his own bags last year. May have to try that.

I have to do some isolation this year as well.  Maybe we can get Rick to do a tutorial...

Nice to see all that compost Chuck, it'll see you right. :thumbsup:

The bags made of organza fabric are easy for someone with a sewing machine to make. The fabric and ribbons are really cheap too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofuQxx3QUL8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofuQxx3QUL8
The rest is bagging the blossoms just before they open and shaking the branch to release the pollen. Some folks use an electric toothbrush to do that, but I just let the wind do my work for me or use a camel hair paintbrush to pick up pollen from a parent bloom and transfer it to the tip of the pistil and then bag up the flower to keep pollinators away. If fruit sets inside the bag, I remove the bag and mark the stem with a bright-colored piece of yarn. If no fruit sets, the flower stem will just fall off and you try, try again.

stickman said:
Nice to see all that compost Chuck, it'll see you right. :thumbsup:

The bags made of organza fabric are easy for someone with a sewing machine to make. The fabric and ribbons are really cheap too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofuQxx3QUL8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofuQxx3QUL8
The rest is bagging the blossoms just before they open and shaking the branch to release the pollen. Some folks use an electric toothbrush to do that, but I just let the wind do my work for me or use a camel hair paintbrush to pick up pollen from a parent bloom and transfer it to the tip of the pistil and then bag up the flower to keep pollinators away. If fruit sets inside the bag, I remove the bag and mark the stem with a bright-colored piece of yarn. If no fruit sets, the flower stem will just fall off and you try, try again.
Thanks Rick for the video. May have to brushin up in my Home Ec skills. I don't think they even have that in schools anymore. I'm getting older.

Well here is a small update while I have some time. I've been waiting for the backyard to dry. Today after work I shoveled a yard of compost and raked it in the garden. I remembered to pull some samples for soil test before adding. It was a experience shoveling in the dark. Literally no light. It's on my list of things to do. If I get the chance tomorrow, I'll till it in and add the rest. No pics as it was to dark.

In another note. I started some more seeds. I could wait. I have one more variety in the mail. I'll start them with the Sadabahar, Chi-Chien, Armarillos, and Tepin Lemondrop. I'm excited to try the Armarillos. Never grown them before. That will be the last seeds I start. I promise! LOL

I'm tired of mechanics and shoveling. Have a great night you all. Thanks for stopping by. I'm trying to get caught up with all your clogs. Can't wait till DLS.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 56
stickman said:
All looking good so far Chuck! Good on ya for getting your soil tested. It should help quite a lot. Are you gonna clip the extra seedlings or prick them out and repot?
Thank you good Sir. No, I'm going to steal Stefan's technique and plant two per hole. I need to dry the soil out completely and sift out rocks and twigs the best I can. I took samples 6inches down and from 6 different spots through out the garden. Should give me a rough estimate.

Devv said:
Nice looking starts!

And wishing you the best this season!
And thank you as well good Sir. I'm hoping they come out half as good as yours are Scott. I think we are all going to have a better season than last. Knock on wood!

Well I'm beat. I got off a couple hours early today. I went straight home and started digging. I tilled what I shoveled last night, and then I made rows shoveled and tilled some more. Someone slap me. It is February isn't it??? I don't know what I'm going to do when Spring comes. Feels kinda nice. Maybe more camping! Well here is a pic of the results. Just need to get some plastic mulch and cover.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 62
That is some fantastic looking soil Chuck! I'm thinking this is gonna be a great year for you if you can get your water needs dialed in. Make sure you set up your drip hoses first so they can sit underneath the plastic mulch. Hose timers are fairly cheap, and will make sure your plants get enough water. Here in New England, I adjust my timer so the plants get 20 minutes of water every 12 hours, but if your conditions are dryer than here you'll have to adjust that. Good luck, and we'll be following along for sure. :party:

stickman said:
That is some fantastic looking soil Chuck! I'm thinking this is gonna be a great year for you if you can get your water needs dialed in. Make sure you set up your drip hoses first so they can sit underneath the plastic mulch. Hose timers are fairly cheap, and will make sure your plants get enough water. Here in New England, I adjust my timer so the plants get 20 minutes of water every 12 hours, but if your conditions are dryer than here you'll have to adjust that. Good luck, and we'll be following along for sure. :party:
Thanks Rick!

I used drip last year with timers. Worked out great. With my clayish soil, I didn't have to water much. I actually turned it of for about 5-6 days and didn't get any wilt.

Do you cut an X in the plastic to plant? My plants will be in 5x5x5 container come dirt day.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Frank! I sure did. Should have sprouts any day now.

Thank you again.
n.p. was you able to get some of those pumpkin bbg from ford ? I seen them while ordering a few of the turkish and syrian seeds . Would of gotten some but he was out . They look pretty cool and from what he says pretty tasty . Next time  

moruga welder said:
n.p. was you able to get some of those pumpkin bbg from ford ? I seen them while ordering a few of the turkish and syrian seeds . Would of gotten some but he was out . They look pretty cool and from what he says pretty tasty . Next time  
I think I ordered 3 packs. They haven't showed up yet. When they do, I'll send you some.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Rick!

I used drip last year with timers. Worked out great. With my clayish soil, I didn't have to water much. I actually turned it of for about 5-6 days and didn't get any wilt.

Do you cut an X in the plastic to plant? My plants will be in 5x5x5 container come dirt day.

Yup, you got it Chuck! 

Back