• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

JUR-Z-Devil said:
i just watched a video on youtube where a guy had a bunch of bbg's and he only got one on one plant too... oh now im anxious... i guess there is always next year if the ones i plant dont work out... I love the bbgs.. i envy your list... id kill for mot of those but cant buy anymore and im running out of seeds to trade... i still have a good 70 varieties this year so cant really complain.. I had some peach bb7 naga's and none germinated... had mustard and chocolate moruga brains and none germinated... I lost alot in trades that showed up and were no good... its all good though it was fun trading with people around the world... plus it gives me more room to plant a lot of mutant candlelights i have coming from norway and a secret project plant i have been working on for a long time i plan to introduce this season to everyone... Nothing like it... Ill be crossing alot with that plant this season and gonna try mutant candlelight crosses... wont have any of my secret plant to sell or trade for a few seasons but its ready to be shown off this season...
i've got a really nice Pheno Choc. bbg , makes for a great powder and will grow really well for you , if you'd like a few seeds , can get them out tomorrow !  just shoot me a p.m. if interested .

thanks MW.. that would be awesome . may i ask if you have pics of the purple naga brain?  i have had zero success with all my brain crosses this year and they were what i was most looking forward too. lost them all so i gotta put up another ad i guess to try again. i just cant manage to get them to live. even though all grown and started in the same trays and environment 2 inches from the rest. lost chocolate and mustard moruga brains , red yellow and chocolate naga brains, gengis kahn brains.... its driving me mad...

OCD - I think my curse is the brainstrain crosses the way yours was the bbg7's... its maddening

Hey all. I've got most of my seeds germinated. The only ones that didn't make the cut was the Jigsaws. I may start some more soon. Everything else is germinated and need planting in a couple days. Once they are planted, I'll germinate Annuum's in a few weeks or so. Here is what I planted so far. Most of them are two plants per cell. Still have some more Chinese to germinate in the next week.

Thanks for stopping by.

2017 Cells Planted
1. BBG7 Orange
2.BBG71 3
3. Reaper x Peachbhut 2
4.Perfect Bhut 2
5.BBG Peach Ghost Jami 9
6.Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode 2
7.Caribbean Red 3 4
8.Tobago Treasure BBG 4
9.Nagabon 3
10.Naga BBG 1
11.Scotch Brain 3
12.Scotch Brain ISO 1
13.Peach Ghosty BBG 3
14.BBG Apocalypse 2
15.Congo ButchT 1
16.SicMyst 2
17.BBG Yellow Large 2
18.Jigsaw 0
19.Redgum Tiger Mamp 4
20.Naga Brain Yellow 3
21.Pimenta Reaper 4
22.7Pot Lava Chocolate x BBG 0
23.TabaNaga 2
24.Rocato (Chinese) 2
25.Aji Jobito x BBG7 4
26.Black Bhutlah Scorpion 2
27.Butlah BBG 3
28.Reaperx Yellow Scorpion 2
29.Chocolate Primo 2
30.Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero 3
31.Chocolate BBG 3
32.BOC (Gary) 4
33.Venez Tiger x Srtsl 4
34.Scorpion XXX 4
35.Naga Reaper 3
36.Trinidad Scorpion (Randy) 3
37.Reaper x Purple Bhut 1
38.Mustard Moruga Brains 2
39.Foodarama 4
40.SB7J UFO (Justin) 5
41.Babymorich 3
42.JigsawHabanero 4
43.Bleeding Borg 9 5
44.Redgum Nagabrain Tmamp 5
45.Andys King BOC 0
46.BBG7 x Scorpion 4
47.BBG7 x PDN 2
48.Orange BBG ISO 3
49.Apocalypse Scorpion 1
50.SRTSL x BBG 1
51.Caribbean Red 4 6
52.BBG7 Cluster 3
53.Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo 5
54.BBG72 4
55.Primo 3
56.Brainstrain x Reaper 2
57.MOA 6
58.Ghost Peach WM 4
59.Black Panther 5
60.Sepia Reaper x Neyde 3
61.TommyGum 3
62.Reaper x Chiltepin
63.CBBG7 x Reaper
64.Naga Peach
65.Naga Orange

stickman said:
And so it begins! That's quite an ambitious list Chuck... good luck with it! I hope the new hoophouse makes a big difference in your grow this year. Cheers!
Devv said:
And I agree! A really nice and aggressive grow list. ;)

Can't wait to see how it pans out this season!
Thanks guys! I'm probably not going to grow all those cells out. I've got spares just in case of nasty weather. I like to have extras on hand just in case you guys need some. Knock on wood. I'm think hundred plants, between ground and container. Probably more. LOL! Everything is under control as of now. Wait till new shoes. I'm going to plant one cell from each variety in these 5x5 square containers I've got. The rest will be in smaller containers. I'll slowly transplant bigger when needed. With two plants per container, I should fare well. Stealing this method from from Stefan.

Thanks meat freak!!!

Well I've been trying to find time and use my camera. Took a bunch of shots and this is the only one I liked. Practice! Practice! Practice!
Patience! Patience! Patience! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 71
Even professional photographers will snap 40 or 50 pics before they find the ones they sell, so don't feel bad about doing the same. Nice looking seedlings Chuck! It's good to be seeing new green up your way. :)

Scott's decided to give the IRT plastic mulch a try this spring, and it looks like he may be transplanting outside soon. I'm jealous about now, but maybe not so much in July and August... ;)

JUR-Z-Devil said:
nice focus... cant wait to not be using a flip phone camera... i feel like a caveman...
Thanks Jason. Flip phone is better than Polaroid

karoo said:
Nice pic.
You can feel those cotyledons struggling.

Thanks Jacques. I should have put a dome over them. Wouldn't have that problem. Still refining process.

stickman said:
Even professional photographers will snap 40 or 50 pics before they find the ones they sell, so don't feel bad about doing the same. Nice looking seedlings Chuck! It's good to be seeing new green up your way. :)

Scott's decided to give the IRT plastic mulch a try this spring, and it looks like he may be transplanting outside soon. I'm jealous about now, but maybe not so much in July and August... ;)
Thanks Rick! Yeah it gets frustrating sometimes. I can only image when serious photographers had to develop the film. Spoils with the new stuff. I remover all those camping trips and parties with 35mm. You would get them developed the next week and try to figure out what the hell you were trying to picture.

I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to go and pick up some more compost and composted wood chips in the next week. I'll till it in and cover the hoop house. I'll order some plastic and get it in. By the time I'm ready to plant the ground should be alive and warm.

Trident chilli said:
Nice list and that's a great shot of the seedling and husk .... I think this is going to be your year wishing you all the best ... keep the photographs coming
Thanks John. This is the most varieties I've done at once. I'm trying to stay organized. Need to get the seedlings under some real light. Hope you have a great year as well.

A little update. All my seeds popped except. Andys King BOC, Jigsaw, and 7Pot Lava Chocolate x BBG. I have some other varieties I need to start germinating. Don't know if I'll try and germ them again. I've got a bunch of plant right now. Next time I'll soak for sure. I got lazy with so many varieties. I think I'll get the 3oz containers next year. Those cotton discs will fit perfect in one of those. There a little tight in the ones I've got now. Then I can put another disc on top to sandwich the seeds. I'll have a 100% germ rate for sure.

Hope you all have been having a great week so far.

OCD Chilehead said:
A little update. All my seeds popped except. Andys King BOC, Jigsaw, and 7Pot Lava Chocolate x BBG. I have some other varieties I need to start germinating. Don't know if I'll try and germ them again. I've got a bunch of plant right now. Next time I'll soak for sure. I got lazy with so many varieties. I think I'll get the 3oz containers next year. Those cotton discs will fit perfect in one of those. There a little tight in the ones I've got now. Then I can put another disc on top to sandwich the seeds. I'll have a 100% germ rate for sure.

Hope you all have been having a great week so far.
Everything looks great Chuck, nice big list.  The Lava x BBG has been stubborn for me also.  They do germinate but have been taking quite some time.  They did better for me after a salt petre soak.  The King BOC surprises me a bit, they seemed pretty easy to get going, maybe just some bad luck on those.  Its funny how this works sometimes with seeds.  I sent someone some Devil's Heart that I got from pods from a friend.  He didn't get any to germinate but everything else I sent was fine.  I hadn't tried myself yet on that one so was worried, and when I planted mine I had 5/5 sprout in 5 or 6 days.  Don't know why its like that sometimes, but seems to be.  If you do want to try the lava x bbg again or needs more seeds let me know.  If you don't grow and mine turn out something great, can always get some pods from me.  I have 2 going in I think.

Devv said:
Love the pic Chuck. And Rick is correct, shoot a few and go with the best. Until I get this new camera down that's what I'm doing. Now the old one was a one shot deal. But not at first ;)

TGIF!
My problem is squeezing in the time. As soon as plants get new shoes, I'll have time. Lots of stuff to do around the the house and garden. Can't wait till Day Light Savings. March 12th. Four weeks from today.

jcw10tc said:
Everything looks great Chuck, nice big list.  The Lava x BBG has been stubborn for me also.  They do germinate but have been taking quite some time.  They did better for me after a salt petre soak.  The King BOC surprises me a bit, they seemed pretty easy to get going, maybe just some bad luck on those.  Its funny how this works sometimes with seeds.  I sent someone some Devil's Heart that I got from pods from a friend.  He didn't get any to germinate but everything else I sent was fine.  I hadn't tried myself yet on that one so was worried, and when I planted mine I had 5/5 sprout in 5 or 6 days.  Don't know why its like that sometimes, but seems to be.  If you do want to try the lava x bbg again or needs more seeds let me know.  If you don't grow and mine turn out something great, can always get some pods from me.  I have 2 going in I think.
I think my germ rate would have been better if I would have soaked and got my goofy thermostat replaced sooner. I'll check and see if I have some more seeds. I believe I do. Thanks my friend. I'm going to order some salt petre. My BOC's I've got from pods Gary sent, had a 100% rate. I still believe presoak and heat was my issue, but then again I had a two day germination without the soak. Weird.

I have officially planted everything. Second round germination will begin soon. So far I've got 216 plants. Damn it! This only round one. Now that I've actually counted, I've got to do some more planning. I've still got another 20+ varieties to germ. Hmmm. What ever I can't keep, I will pick the best of the best and give the rest away. I imagine I'll be well over 300 be the time this is done. LOL! At least I won't be bored.

I've taken one of my old T12 fixtures and gutted it. I bought two T8 fixtures and mounted them to the old fixture. I like it. In another note I finished the COB LED build. The best investment ever! I tried it out. Holy shit. Pardon my language, but was appropriate. I saw spots just off the reflection in the carpet. I think by using this light, my hardening off time will be short and the shock little.

Hope all of your guys and gals, garden adventures are doing well.
2017 Cells Planted
1. BBG7 Orange 1
2.BBG7 1 3
3. Reaper x Peachbhut 2
4.Perfect Bhut 2
5.BBG Peach Ghost Jami 9
6.Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode 2
7.Caribbean Red 3 4
8.Tobago Treasure BBG 4
9.Nagabon 3
10.Naga BBG 1
11.Scotch Brain 3