Odd pepper rot.. whats going on?

Only on a few of my peppers, have I been experiencing this sort of rot. Its flesh seems to go away, and it just opens up, no browning or anything, and I have no idea what it is.. you can see what I mean on the green pod in the center.

69062863_photobucket_762_.jpg

Any insight?

Hope it doesnt hit any of my other pods.

Heres what they're turning out to look like.. I'm thinking this actually is a bhut plant after all..

69062863_photobucket_761_.jpg

but some of them are starting to grow tails!

69062863_photobucket_759_.jpg

No birds.. these are from way inside the plant at the top, nor do I ever see birds on my back porch. take a look at the green one. the entire inside membrane is exposed with no damage to it. i'd think they'd be a bit more destructive..

Hoping its not bacteria or something.

You've got some type of pod muncher. Not sure what type, but they apparently only eat a small amount before moving on, because I can see where the pod has tried to heal the wound.

It has to be large enough to be easily spotted, so give your plants a close examination.

only thing I've seen has been ants, but I figured nothing of it..

pepper eating ants? rofl..

Ill watch for them tomorrow and see whos nibbling.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=pepper%20maggots&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=1031

I've seen these flies before!

What can I do?!

http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/pepper-maggot.html

says the larvae leave near the stem... makes sense.. lemme pop open that green pepper with the missing tissue.

any mice or rats?...set a trap baited with peanut butter and check...reason I say rats or mice is they taste the pod and leave it alone after a bite if they are hot...if they are anaheims, they just eat the whole pod...and like SS said...it could be birds...you would be surprized where a mockingbird will go inside a plant...

you know, after looking at those pods again and thinking about ripe and green pods showing the same signs...it could be sun scald....

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1020&bih=574&q=sunscald+pepper&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

thats gotta be what it is.. this just started happening when I moved my bhut to a sunnier spot on the deck, and I had one monster peper which started showing signs of this right on the outside of the plant. the others were deep at the top of the plant, but you could still see them.

would this dry up the seeds and make them disappear?

Got to agree with AJ. Looks like sun scald.
If it was an animal it would probably pierce the fruit at one point or two and not just eat the outside layer.

Don't know about the no seeds thing in the fruit but I had it happen to me in the past. I think its environmental since later in the season the plant that had that behavior started producing normal seeds.
Lets wait and see if someone knows what can cause this.

Bleash

Looks like over watering to me. I've had it happen to a few of my habs last year. I thought it was some sort of rot, but the good folks here at THP steered me right.

Insect damage IMO. Sun scald might make them turn colors, but not eat away the flesh. I would think pods would have genetically adapted to the sun millions of years ago. I have seen small (2-3 inch) grasshoppers munching on my pods before and I suspect that's what it is. I just pulled a Jalapeno off the plant this morning that has a nice sized hole in it and I had chased a grasshopper out of the plant the day before.

Insect damage IMO. Sun scald might make them turn colors, but not eat away the flesh. I would think pods would have genetically adapted to the sun millions of years ago. I have seen small (2-3 inch) grasshoppers munching on my pods before and I suspect that's what it is. I just pulled a Jalapeno off the plant this morning that has a nice sized hole in it and I had chased a grasshopper out of the plant the day before.

Sounds like it's time to make some Chapolina stuffed pepper poppers.

I think it looks like insect/animal damage as well. My sun scalded peppers turn leathery, they don't have skin and flesh just disappear. I've also heavily overwatered my plants in the past and they never did anything like that. Something is feasting on your hard work IMO.

Back