• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

OFFICIAL PEPPER RANKINGS

I will do my best to update this as info becomes available. Obviously mods are welcome to modify this first post. I wanted people to be able to access a list of peppers in descending heat by lab tested scoville units. Anyone feel free to post and I will update it as I can. I AM NO EXPERT. feel free to comment, especially OMRI.

BHUT JOLOKIA - 1,001,304
NAGA - Dorset, morich, etc. 960,000
7POT -
TRINIDAD SCORPION -
FATALI
DEVILS TONGUE

CHOCOLATE HAB - 301,065
ORANGE HAB - 295,529
RED SAVINA HAB - 256,341

Red savina is really no hotter than a normal hab but Fatalii and devil's tongue should be up there on the list probably just below the naga, bhut, 7-pot and scorpions.

from NMSU

"Bhut Jolokia, at 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), is nearly twice as hot as Red Savina"

First of all... Bhut Jolokia with the fiery 1,001,304SHU world record!

boslandpaulpq6.jpg

Red Savina with 577,000SHU (even though the result never duplicated).

http://www.redsavina.com/

EDIT:

Some more authenticated scores.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/heatlevels2001.html

The red savina testing was very likely flawed so its best to just forget the 577,000 SHU. Chocolate habs, white habs, gold and white bullet habs are all much hotter as well as the ones from the 2001 heat levels link.

Paul Bosland has had seed samples of all the super hots for a while now. I was looking forward to NMSU's testing results under a controlled environment of all these. Ironically, all plants but Bhut Jolokia are destroyed each time due to "virus" issues. Strange this happened 2-3 times now from my understanding.

I'm starting to wonder how the seeds were so compromised.

Chris

Omri said:
First of all... Bhut Jolokia with the fiery 1,001,304SHU world record!

boslandpaulpq6.jpg

Red Savina with 577,000SHU (even though the result never duplicated).

http://www.redsavina.com/

EDIT:

Some more authenticated scores.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/heatlevels2001.html

They also say Naga Morich is 1,500,000SHU and Red Savina is 577,000SHU.
It's better to show the tests, not places with no known sources.
This is what this thread is about.

hello everyone,
I recently spoke to a young woman at NMSU.Chili Pepper Institute and she told me they were currently doing a comparison study of Bhut Jolokia and Naga Moresh , maybe they will release the study results sometime this year.
she would not elaborate on what the study consists of in detail,so i could only guess about that.
maybe they will do some Fatalii testing too.I read somewhere that
Dr Bosland was thinking about it.

pablo

cheezydemon said:
BHUT JOLOKIA - 1,001,304
NAGA - Dorset, morich, etc. 960,000
7POT -
TRINIDAD SCORPION -
FATALI
DEVILS TONGUE

CHOCOLATE HAB - 301,065
ORANGE HAB - 295,529
RED SAVINA HAB - 256,341

I've never grown any of these peppers, but in terms of taste (not heat), what are the most flavorful and aromatic?

This will be my first year with naga and scorpion.

The only one I have grown is the orange hab. Man I love it! It has a distinctly smoky flavor and plenty of heat.

The 3 best dishes I made with them were: Seared Scallops with a habanero mango glaze, Hab salsa, and hot wings.

Thanks, I came across the pepper Lemon Drop, which looks interesting because it supposedly has lots of heat and a very lemony flavor....I was thinking of making a lemon marmalade with some Lemon Drop pepper....also maybe an orange hab. pepper jelly....hmmmm.

Fatalii (and devil's tongue which is very similar) have a great lemony taste with lots of heat. A must have in my opinion.

You all are forgetting the Diablo Negro I ordered from EBay....roflmao

supposed to cause spontaneous combustion when consumed....

hehe sorry dude but I ask to the seller if they are diablo negro and he tell me that is just the name he give them ...but this not THE diablo negro ..

Right! no Diablo Negro in the list. I am having trouble finding lab results for anything else. Does anyone know of anything obviously missing from the list?

Back