• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking OK I need advice on cooking with a smoker

Pepper Belly said:
Cant get a brisket in Germany.
Brisket is just a cut of meat, if you have butchers that sell beef, you have brisket.

The cut is between the shank and the chuck. Make sure to have the butcher keep it whole.

The minion method in its true form is for long burns -- an idea created from Jim Minion and WSM smokers but works well with side firebox smokers IMO -- I use it for long burns for Briskets and Butts Turkeys and some Spares where I dont wnat to be opening the fire box to refuel and to go 15 - 20 hrs smoking time ... after a few beers I like to sit in the Hammock for awhile....

I acutally seem a smoker/grill at Lowes that is half charcoal and half gas -- but I am die hard charcoal and wood fella -- be forewarned with brisket -- cooked to hot and fast will give you a nice pair of shoes -- also if you cut with the grain you'll have beef gum

Pepperbelly,
you'll have some spots hotter than others on your smoker and without the mods most likely will stay that way. To learn what spots are where, just get a cheap pack of biscuits, like in the tube, place them on the smoker and after 1 5-20 mins open it up and you'll see some done more than others, those will be your hotter spots.

Scott

sfisch said:
Pepperbelly,
you'll have some spots hotter than others on your smoker and without the mods most likely will stay that way. To learn what spots are where, just get a cheap pack of biscuits, like in the tube, place them on the smoker and after 1 5-20 mins open it up and you'll see some done more than others, those will be your hotter spots.

Scott

very very good advice

sfisch said:
Pepperbelly,

Scott

Ill give that one a go ! Great advice!

Back