• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Glad to see you home safe and sound, looks like you have a handle on that grow, now you can set back and get some R&R with the family, it will definitely be a interesting grow with all those peppers.
Have fun and don't forget to gets some quality time in. 

Pulpiteer said:
Awesome! Loved the video and thanks to your wife for taking it.  That was priceless...

They're looking great in the ground!  Welcome home and thanks for your service to our country!
Thanks Andy!  She did great at keeping everything happy and picking the PERFECT time for 'the reveal'!

Justaguy said:
Enjoy your season. Looking good.

Thanks again for your service.
Thank you for the badass package of hot goodies during deployment!  My guys loved everything! 

capsidadburn said:
Good to have you back home Matt!   I look forward to watching your season.

Thank you for serving!
Mike

No problem Mike! Thanks for stoppin in, gonna be a great season!

Sanarda said:
Sure is good seeing you in your garden again.  Its so great you got home in time for Memorial Day.  Looking forward to those pod reviews....

It feels great! Tonight I started staking everything, and next I am gonna make my tags.  I have an idea on how to change everything up when it comes to pod reviews.  I am gonna try to get them a bit shorter, and packed with a bit more than just me crying...I will probably start to bust a few out in about another month or so.  I gotta get some surgery at some point and I will have to recover enough to put down them crazy pods.

millworkman said:
Wahooooooo! Thanks Matt and good luck this year!
Thanks!  I can't wait to see how these things turn out. 

wildseed57 said:
Glad to see you home safe and sound, looks like you have a handle on that grow, now you can set back and get some R&R with the family, it will definitely be a interesting grow with all those peppers.
Have fun and don't forget to gets some quality time in. 
It feels great to be back.  That was exactly my plan.  I knew that I wouldn't get any time to relax with the fam until the garden got planted.  Now I should be good to hang out and spend it with the wife and little one. 

Time for a few pics!  :)

From the first care package we got.  The LDHS was the perfect start to the heat.  It got a few guys hooked early and they started to go hotter and hotter as things went on.  My favorite was the Orange, and it came with me every day for a week to the chow hall until some of the others made me share :(  It has a great savory flavor that really went well on anything.

From the HBD pkg.  Hands down, the Cajun Blend went on more bags of popcorn than anything else in the entire shop. Some of the guys got the little pop secret jalapeno popcorn powder, and that just sat on the shelf until that bottle went to zero!  Great stuff!

And LDHS sent a shirt...that got worn at least once a week!  We found a butcher that worked for the Brits and were able to get meat from him.  We put the HBD Jerk Blend to great use! 

In non-pepper related news, some of you may have remembered last time's deployment pistol.  I got a Kimber Custom II with all our unit engraving for a group buy.  This go around we did SIG 516 Rifles AND Kimbers.  We haven't got the Kimbers in yet, so I won't divulge too much, but needless to say they are gonna be friggen amazing.
Here is the SIG:

Alrighty, that should do it for now.  I am gonna check out some of the other threads and then probably watch a movie with the wife.  I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day tomorrow!

Man you said SIG and when I saw that first pic I thought whoops he accidentally put in a pic of an M4 Carbine :) that weapon looks awesome Mat, love the color.

So, your new tagging idea are you going to be something like stapling them to te top of the stake? Can't wait to see it. We're in the process of buying a house so mine are all in 3 gal root pouches and solo cups right now, gotta pot up some if those. They'll go in the ground after we move in but that might not be till Aug.

Take care Bro and Happy Memorial Day

Glad you made it home and have a chance to grow some peppers this year. So happy to be asked to be part of this too. Can't wait to start seeing you pod up!!!

Welcome home!!

megahot said:
Sick gun Matt! So glad you can be back with your family bro! ( pepper plants included ) :onfire:   Nice lookin boy ya got there :)

Thanks!  I cant wait to throw some rounds down range with it.  It is a piston driven instead of the direct impingement system, kinda like the SCAR series rifles.  Supposed to fire more reliably and cleaner.  I am havin a blast with the youngin, great kid!

Sanarda said:
I am glad that I am part of this family.  Thanks for including us in your journey abroad and at home.  And tell your wonderful wife that she is a phenom.. 
You definitely are part of the family!  I tell her every second!

RocketMan said:
Man you said SIG and when I saw that first pic I thought whoops he accidentally put in a pic of an M4 Carbine :) that weapon looks awesome Mat, love the color.

So, your new tagging idea are you going to be something like stapling them to te top of the stake? Can't wait to see it. We're in the process of buying a house so mine are all in 3 gal root pouches and solo cups right now, gotta pot up some if those. They'll go in the ground after we move in but that might not be till Aug.

Take care Bro and Happy Memorial Day
LOL.  It is the SIG's AR variant.  It has the desert cerecoat (sp?) finish, which MAY match another goodie that i should be gettin in the next month or so...  For the tagging I am gonna do the same as last year, just bamboo rods, a nametag, and some packing tape.  It worked out great for me.  Thanks, and Happy Memorial day to you too!

Bodeen said:
Glad you made it home and have a chance to grow some peppers this year. So happy to be asked to be part of this too. Can't wait to start seeing you pod up!!!

Welcome home!!

Thanks!  I cant wait either!

Peptacular said:
Nice looking plot, fam, and firearm. Awesome that you were able to have a surprise pepper growing season!

I am so excited to be able to grow again!  Thanks for stoppin in!

Ausmith said:

Thanks! 

Devv said:
Sig looks awesome! .223? .308?

Steaks don't look too bad neither :surprised:

Have a great Memorial day!
Its in 5.56, now if only the price of ammo would drop........ :)

So since today is Memorial Day I wanted to take a second and just recognize the US Servicemembers that have given the ultimate sacrifice so that we may be free.  There will be copious amounts of booze and meat consumed today, and I just want to take a second to recognize those that will not be able to share with us in person, and instead are here in spirit.  I know that there are men and women from all branches that have given their lives over the years, but the below list of names are near and dear to my heart as they are brothers from my command.  So when you are throwin a few back later, say a silent prayer, give a nod, pour one for your homies, or recognize however you feel appropriate. 

Memorial Wall

MARSOC Foundation: https://www.marsocfoundation.org/refresh/templates/fallen_heroes.php?id=4

Back