• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Man i havent been on in a while but your update showed up in my youtube feed. Wanted to stop by and say that was one awesome feel good moment for me to catch on memorial day. Congrats on the garden. Hope it goes nutzo!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Glad to see you up and up on this glog. Again. Thanks to you and for all who have made the sacrifices for each of or freedoms.

No more just watching people and their updates. Or watching your old how to grow pepper videos.

Grow grow grow.
Thanks bro!  I am excited to start postin some new vids and sharing with yall! 

Beehunter said:
Man i havent been on in a while but your update showed up in my youtube feed. Wanted to stop by and say that was one awesome feel good moment for me to catch on memorial day. Congrats on the garden. Hope it goes nutzo!
Glad you made it back!  I am looking forward to watching these babies explode as well!  Stick around and you won't be disappointed!

So i just hung out for a while in the garden so the dogs can run around in the yard.  Most everything looks happy, so we are definitely in business.  Maybe one or two have some minor shock signs, but out of 66, I would say that is some great odds!

I am planning to start another 10 or 12 for the sole purposes of overwintering and practice starting seeds on a much smaller scale before I make a huge go at it again next year.  If any of yall followed me last year you know well that I had quite the seed starting fiasco, eventually forcing me to restart everything after I killed about 200 seedlings.  I am planning to keep them in pots, trim them back, and just get em enough sun to shoot em up a bit before I put them back in the tent for the winter.   I am rethinking my tent setup to get me some room on the floor, but that is way down the road.  So anyways, I have close to 150 varieties of seeds in my stash and I am gonna pick about a dozen or so to make the cut. 

Here is what I am choosing from:

Trinidad Viper X Purple Bhut (Big Cedar)
ButchT Mississippi Strain (Big Cedar)
Naga Viper (Big Cedar)
Maddball Z Chocolate (Big Cedar)
Billy Boy Douglah Red (Silver Surfer)
Billy Boy Douglah (Silver Surfer)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver Surfer)
Douglah X Scorpion S1 (Silver Surfer)
Bubblegum 7 Pot (Nagacanario via Standbyandfire)
Savannah 7 Pot Hybrid Long (Nagacanario via Standbyandfire)
7 Pot Brown (Nagacanario via Standbyandfire)
TSMB Satan's Strain (Nagacanario via Standbyandfire)
Infinity (Mine, originally from mido)
Brain Strain "Tail" (Mine, originally from CMPMAN)

I am still debating about the starting medium.  I typically go with PROMIX, as it worked great for me last time, but I am considering going with something different because as we all know, it is expensive and tough to find.  I know many-a-grower that uses the stuff you can get at any local nursery or most big box stores, and I think it would help on the wallet and the stress of trying to find the exact same stuff each time.  I generally dont do anything in moderation, so I often find myself going with the most expensive stuff, or the 'best' stuff, and sometimes you can be just as successful with a bit more.....restraint....

Anyways, I have rambled enough and need to work in the morning.  SO if anyone has any opinions on knocking a couple seeds off my list and any recommendations on easily accessible seed starting mediums, let me know. 

My drawer at work for the last 9 months...

Looks good Matt, and welcome back. 

That pic of your desk drawer looks similar to mine. Most of my lunches end up with a powder or hot sauce. Mostly powders though. I usually cut the powders I take to work with some cayenne. It adds good flavor and gives you a little fluff between not hot enough and too hot to eat. <-- That happens from time to time when playing with super hot powders. 

Hey Matt, glad you're gonna germ some. That list is a really good one, hard to pick but if I HAD to I would drop the 7 Brown. My .02 on starting medium. I had awesome germ rates last year with peat pellets, but this year it was rough with a ton of no shows and mold issues. So I wouldn't go with them...I know you had trouble with cubes, and it seems like I see folks that use them having trouble with helmets. So maybe that'll eliminate a couple for you.

Dang Matt, that looks like my drawer too. Actually i had really great germ this year and last year just using a mix of MG and Black Cow 50/50 and adding some powdered up Egg Shells for some extra calcium. Be interesting to see what you do.

Hey Matt, I've had great germination rates (90%+) using MG Orchid potting soil and watering with a 1/4 strength MG Bloom Booster until they pop which was usually around 7 days and then watering with 1/2 strength fish fertilizer. I think keeping the temps in the 80 degree range 24/7 until they pop has alot to do with my success.

Good luck, Robert

When it was cold out I used potting soil, nothing special and had great germ rates. I did have them in a south window with a light for some heat.

I had really good luck with the peat pellets after it warmed up. As Shane mentioned they can really hold the water and cause the issues he mentioned. I didn't have that happen with my later starts.

With those they hooked, stood up were placed in 3.5's and went outside in the sun.

I can definitely see where they can create issues for an indoor start.

I'll be watching to see what others say here as I plan to start things a few months earlier next season and worry  about the possible dampening off.

Good luck!

Glad to hear everything is coming along at home, Matt.  That is a great list.  So hard to knock things off a list like that.  But you said 10 or 12 and there are only 14 on the list.  What's wrong with another couple of plants? ;)  Seriously though, I'm sure you will figure it out. 

Regarding the starts, I did a little experiment this year.  I did all my starts in potting mix and side by side did them in Rapid Rooters.  I got much better germination in the Rapid Rooters.  While there were more helmet heads in the Rooters, there were not as many as I thought there would be.  If you consider the improvement in germ rates, it more than offset the number of helmet headed sprouts.  Just a thought.

Keep the updates coming! 

Matt,
Way to get down and dirty with the garden. Man you must be hyped. I know I'd have a tough time sleeping with the adrenaline flowing...coming home, family, friends and "thee garden".
Great to see you back in action with the glog...there's always room to jump back on to this "spinning merry-go-round".

Looking forward to following this one to the final harvest !

Jeff H said:
Looks good Matt, and welcome back. 

That pic of your desk drawer looks similar to mine. Most of my lunches end up with a powder or hot sauce. Mostly powders though. I usually cut the powders I take to work with some cayenne. It adds good flavor and gives you a little fluff between not hot enough and too hot to eat. <-- That happens from time to time when playing with super hot powders. 

Thanks!   Yea, it was a great go-to stash for just about anything. I haven't tried cutting them, but I may have to give that a try.

gnslngr said:
Nothing in the world like "coming home" is there?
The next best thing though for me now, is watching other people do it.It is an awesome feeling.
Thanks for that-
Welcome home Matt

Have a good one-
DJ

It does feel great to be back. I am now back in the mix and I love being able to go out after dinner, in the morning, and just about any time and check on the garden!  Gonna be a great summer.

stc3248 said:
Hey Matt, glad you're gonna germ some. That list is a really good one, hard to pick but if I HAD to I would drop the 7 Brown. My .02 on starting medium. I had awesome germ rates last year with peat pellets, but this year it was rough with a ton of no shows and mold issues. So I wouldn't go with them...I know you had trouble with cubes, and it seems like I see folks that use them having trouble with helmets. So maybe that'll eliminate a couple for you.
Yea, I just wanna mess with my techniques and I have a bunch of crazy varieties that I wanna overwinter.  I really sucked last year with Rapid Rooters and Hoffman's, but the PROMIX worked great. I am probably just gonna go with that again since I know it works and then build my own stuff for the potting up phases.

RocketMan said:
Dang Matt, that looks like my drawer too. Actually i had really great germ this year and last year just using a mix of MG and Black Cow 50/50 and adding some powdered up Egg Shells for some extra calcium. Be interesting to see what you do.
It is a great drawer to have :hot:  I think I am gonna head out to the nursery at some point and see what I can find. 

neoguy said:
Thanks for your service. Good growing.
Thanks Neo!  I appreciate you stoppin in!

RPM55 said:
Hey Matt, I've had great germination rates (90%+) using MG Orchid potting soil and watering with a 1/4 strength MG Bloom Booster until they pop which was usually around 7 days and then watering with 1/2 strength fish fertilizer. I think keeping the temps in the 80 degree range 24/7 until they pop has alot to do with my success.

Good luck, Robert
Ill have to look into that.  I really wanna keep it organic for the beneficial microorganisms, so a lot of the MG stuff hasn't fit into my previous attempts.  Thanks, Ill check it out.

Devv said:
When it was cold out I used potting soil, nothing special and had great germ rates. I did have them in a south window with a light for some heat.

I had really good luck with the peat pellets after it warmed up. As Shane mentioned they can really hold the water and cause the issues he mentioned. I didn't have that happen with my later starts.

With those they hooked, stood up were placed in 3.5's and went outside in the sun.

I can definitely see where they can create issues for an indoor start.

I'll be watching to see what others say here as I plan to start things a few months earlier next season and worry  about the possible dampening off.

Good luck!
Thanks Devv, yea, I am still narrowing everything down.  Peat pellets are definitely one of my options. 

DocNrock said:
Glad to hear everything is coming along at home, Matt.  That is a great list.  So hard to knock things off a list like that.  But you said 10 or 12 and there are only 14 on the list.  What's wrong with another couple of plants? ;)  Seriously though, I'm sure you will figure it out. 

Regarding the starts, I did a little experiment this year.  I did all my starts in potting mix and side by side did them in Rapid Rooters.  I got much better germination in the Rapid Rooters.  While there were more helmet heads in the Rooters, there were not as many as I thought there would be.  If you consider the improvement in germ rates, it more than offset the number of helmet headed sprouts.  Just a thought.

Keep the updates coming! 
You are right, Im going all 14.  :lol:

Like I mentioned to shane, I had a lot of trouble with Rapid Rooters, so that is probably out for me. But thanks for the recommendation, I know a lot of people have been successful with them, I just can't figure it out... :(

PIC 1 said:
Matt,
Way to get down and dirty with the garden. Man you must be hyped. I know I'd have a tough time sleeping with the adrenaline flowing...coming home, family, friends and "thee garden".
Great to see you back in action with the glog...there's always room to jump back on to this "spinning merry-go-round".

Looking forward to following this one to the final harvest !
I have a pretty easy time sleeping, it is just staying asleep...  I am still switching my clock, but I am almost there.  I think in another week or so I will be back on Freedom time!

Ok, I have another few minutes, so here is a min-update. 

I am planning on taking some real pictures in the next few days, I just got my real camera out of the shipping container today so it is charging.  I also had to pick up another memory card...thanks customs...

But everything is looking great, it seems like everything is taking to the soil really well and there are a few front runners.  Nothing is dead yet (shane...)  so at least I am doing something right! 

Well...Cole has a definite obsession with the hose! As soon as we go outside, he darts for that thing, so today I let him help me water the plants.

Here is what our sauce shelf looked like throughout the deployment.  Never a sweet moment...:lol:

Ill get you guys some proper pics probably a video this weekend.  Enjoy your Friday!

stc3248 said:
Starting him young! He should open his own profile on here! Haha, good to hear they're still green, sounds like mama hardened them off well!

Yea, he definitely loves to be in the back yard, and usually tries to get in the garden when I am working in there.  Once the plants get a bit bigger and aren't so tender I will probably let him run around in there with me.  Gotta start young!

Devv said:
So has Cole grabbed the hose and given you a bath yet?

That was my son's favorite trick when he was that age.

I not just wait :D
Not yet, but I know it is coming... :lol:

Alrighty, pulled the trigger today on soil and have some seeds soaking to plant in the morning.  And the winner is....

So my original intent was to go cheap and accessible.  After spending time in all the local nurseries and box stores, there really wasn't anything that I fell in love with and so I decided to take a trip back up to the nursery in the town south of me where I usually get my Promix.  I already have ideas of what I am gonna do for the later phases, so I really just needed something for the seedlings and first pot up.  Anyways, I planned on picking up a bag of PROMIX  seedlings, but they didnt have it so I picked up the bag of PROMIX Ultimate.  Since I am super indecisive and the PROMIX was only like 6 bucks, I also picked up the Dr. Earth.  Tomorrow I am gonna open up the bags and do an "unboxing" review to see how they compare as far as weight, makeup, and texture. 

So onto the seeds.  I decided, what the hell, lets do them all!  I am gonna go with the same method that I used last season towards the end, and that is using small dixie type cups until they need to be potted up. That way when they start to pop up I can move them from the germ box to the lights without worry about disturbing anything.  I decided to go with two per cup and cull the weaker of the two.  I am only planning on keeping one of each variety so this will also be a test of the two different soils.  The strongest gets a spot in the yard.  Darwinism at its best!

I got the good camera all charged up and ready to use, so tomorrow I will take a walk through the garden and snap some pics and probably take a video or 2. 

Here are a few gun shots from the Stan.
Benelli M4

AK-47

Oh....and MY NEW TOY!!! 

Time to get to smokin some peppers!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em! Benelli sure makes some mean shotguns! Good fire rate with low recoil! Weber too...top notch! Oh...and the AK, such a crappy, P.O.S., cheap yet effective weapon that takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. 7.62X39, not the best to reach out with, but plenty o power. Hmmm no wonder its the "Preferred weapon of our enemy!"

Now lets see them plants!!!

Back