• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Thanks guys!

TSMB Yellow.  This pod is a monster.  I can't wait for it to turn!

The 7 Pot is looking great, poppin out a ton of pods.  

7 Pot Yellow looking huge and mean!

Douglah looking exceptionally mean!

Fatalii

Ja Hot Chocolate

Bonda ma Jaques

Giant Marconi Hybrid...not kidding!

One more???

WalkGood said:
Holy moly pages and pages of incredible poddage you will be super busy very soon picking and processing ... excellent job mon!
Thanks Ramon!  Hopefully they stay that way and just turn a different color!  :)

Capsicum Select said:
Those are gnarly looking!

Can't wait to see the ripe Assams
Yea me too, this first round should be milder than the next round.  Once those start turning remind me and ill shoot a couple pods over to you. 

MGOLD86 said:
This TS is just looking mean.  It is the same as the one I posted last week, but now it has some nasty spikes.  I really love the look of this pod. 
This pod is looking awesome. Very nice picture too, btw, the contrast with the dark in back looks great.

It looks like your douglah is getting some brown on its shoulders, isn't it?  Or am I seeing things?

PIC 1 said:
Matt........your plants don't hesitate to show production....bravo

I can't wait to see all the ripening colors. You'll definitely have some serious photos happening !
Thanks Greg!  Me too.  Gonna be a blast.

Pulpiteer said:
This pod is looking awesome. Very nice picture too, btw, the contrast with the dark in back looks great.

It looks like your douglah is getting some brown on its shoulders, isn't it?  Or am I seeing things?
Thanks Andy, it was still a little light out (about 830pm), but the flash blacks out the background.  The douglah is gettin a bit of a sun tan.  There will be color soon enough..

GA Growhead said:
Podtastic!
There will some color in no time!
Thanks...the suspense is KILLING ME!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Money shots look awesome!!
Money shots look awesome!!
Thanks Dennis!

Alrighty folks, time to put the plants on hold and appreciate some good ol BBQ.  Cooking starts now for tomorrow's meal! 

Stay tuned for updates...they will probably get more drunken as the night goes on!

Getcha popcorn ready for druken meat money shots!?!

2d3b88a882cbbc75ce84eadf9264c446.jpg

Wait whaaaat?

I like the way your meat looks Matt! Hold on.....that didn't sound right. Hey I know you're busy, but if you get a chance check out my first video update. I'd love to get your input. Now....enjoy your beautiful meat.

Tim

peppernovice said:
  I like the way your meat looks Matt! Hold on.....that didn't sound right. Hey I know you're busy, but if you get a chance check out my first video update. I'd love to get your input. Now....enjoy your beautiful meat.

Tim

I will tell you, I really enjoyed rubbing my meat.  It put a smile on my face. :)

scotch 2 down....

stc3248 said:
Meat rubbing is my specialty! Haha...serious looking BBQ ready to happen there! Got me hungry! Those pods are freakin crazy! Didn't you just get back??? :crazy:

So stoked every time I come over here...season wouldn't be the same without Matt's updates!
WORDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Back