• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

BWAHAHA!  Rick got it right.  I found myself waking up on the couch at about 2am.  Checked the meat, temps were stable and it was off to bed for a few hours.  Checked again at 5am, good, and then got up at 8 and pulled it off and put it in the oven, wrapped, with a bit of beef broth ("texas crutch").  Ribs go on in about an hour and a half. 

Sorry for the blurry photo, MY BAAADS!

Thanks guys, but I was still up at 5 to check on things...even if I did go back to bed for a few hours after that!

Ribs on at 11

Here we are at 2

And something disappointing.....betcha haven't had this happen to a ferment before!

I have no idea how I would have gotten worms....the peppers were smoked, the ingredients chopped and everything added.  If there was a bug attached to the pepper, it wouldn't have survived the smoke....any ideas??

millworkman said:
Mmmmmmm extra protein! !!!!

LOL.  I thought I drank a bit too much last night so I didn't freak out....I wanted to check in the morning so I was sure i wasnt seeing things....lol!

MGOLD86 said:
And something disappointing.....betcha haven't had this happen to a ferment before!

I have no idea how I would have gotten worms....the peppers were smoked, the ingredients chopped and everything added.  If there was a bug attached to the pepper, it wouldn't have survived the smoke....any ideas??
So... good news/bad news.

Bad news, you have some sort of worm there.

Good news, this is the best hot pickled maggot recipe I've seen ever. Hands down. Taste test video?

:rofl: haha, Andy!

Those are def maggots. Matt.  A fly probably laid the
eggs on a pod or somethig and they survived all
that to be born in heaven.

:shocked:       :sick:        :(      :banghead:     :(      :silenced:

Great looking pods! That giant hybrid I ludicrous.

I love me some brisket and ribs! Pics had me all super hungry for something I don't have on hand. Luckily that misfire ferment banished my appetite for a bit lol. Still gonna have to pick myself up some ribs soon!

WalkGood said:
Every ting looks awesome Matt, cept da worms :/ I hate worms, even da worm in tequila. Enjoy da food and don't forget a plate shot FTW.
Thanks Ramon...ya win some and lose some.  Next time Ill get it right.  See below for the win shot!

stickman said:
It looks like fly larvae Matt. Did you wash the veggies well before processing the mash? Also probably not enough salt. Oh well... it's just part of the learning curve... we've all done similar things.
I pulled them out of the freezer, let them sit in the sink to defrost (still in the bag), pulled them out, washed and halved them, put them on the smoker, and then into the jar.  I did do a portion of it in the garage, so it is possible a fly landed, layed an egg, and then the smoker didn't kill it.  I guess Ill just have to be more careful next time. 

Pulpiteer said:
So... good news/bad news.

Bad news, you have some sort of worm there.

Good news, this is the best hot pickled maggot recipe I've seen ever. Hands down. Taste test video?
Actually, I decided to send YOU a bottle to do the "Official" taste test.  Ill let you know when it ships :)

PaulG said:
:rofl: haha, Andy!

Those are def maggots. Matt.  A fly probably laid the
eggs on a pod or somethig and they survived all
that to be born in heaven.

:shocked:       :sick:        :(      :banghead:     :(      :silenced:
In this case, good on it.  Sure, it screwed up my ferment, but if it went through ALL that, go ahead...you sir, Mr Fly, are determined. 

Peptacular said:
Great looking pods! That giant hybrid I ludicrous.

I love me some brisket and ribs! Pics had me all super hungry for something I don't have on hand. Luckily that misfire ferment banished my appetite for a bit lol. Still gonna have to pick myself up some ribs soon!
This was the first time I did brisket, and first for baby backs as well.  Both went well and i can definitely see more of them in my future. 

So folks, dinner went well.  I learned a lot and will do a few things differently next time (mainly just time things better).   But everything was awesome and Ill definitely be tweaking things next go around.  Bottom line, meat was juicy and tender and full of delicious SMOKE!

Separate the point from the flat for.....

BURNT ENDS ANYONE?!?!?

Bend test.....PASSED!

Sliced and ready to go

Caramelize that SAUCE

Ready to serve

Money shot

And the best part.....
LEFT OVERS!

Holy Smoked goodness brother. How on earth do you stay so skinny. That BBQ looks supertastyliciousness. 

Well bro my first ferment turned to mold . Now I don't feel so bad  ;)

Gonna stick to the old fashion way for making sauces . Leave the ferment to Wild Bill and Stiky Ricky  :fireball:

Holy Crap Matt........I'm sitting here eating and this still makes me hungry! I haven't tried ribs yet. I may have missed this earlier, but did you boil them first?

Tim

Awesome, has my meatloaf beat by miles, lolz.

Edit: all out of "like this" hope dis does the trick
209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

stickman said:
Most excellent meal Matt! Maybe you'll have the cole slaw next time... :dance:
You know Rick, I am the only one that eats the cole slaw and I always do it with pulled pork.  Since this time I didn't do it this time I decided to pass.  Plus I was pretty busy working it.

romy6 said:
 Holy Smoked goodness brother. How on earth do you stay so skinny. That BBQ looks supertastyliciousness. 

Well bro my first ferment turned to mold . Now I don't feel so bad  ;)

Gonna stick to the old fashion way for making sauces . Leave the ferment to Wild Bill and Stiky Ricky  :fireball:
Easy, I purge :) 

But yea, may stick to powder and non-fermented sauce for a while. 

peppernovice said:
  Holy Crap Matt........I'm sitting here eating and this still makes me hungry! I haven't tried ribs yet. I may have missed this earlier, but did you boil them first?

Tim
It really ain't too bad.  St Luis goes for about 6 hours and Baby back go for about 5 (both at 225).  Here is what i do:

The night before I trim and remove the membrane along the bone.  Then I rub with "Memphis Dust"
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Then about (cook time +1 hr rest+1 hr preheat) I preheat the smoker (or kettle using indirect) to 225-250.  I use a mix of apple and hickory.  Smoke until they crack when doing the bend test.  Then slather with BBQ and put them on a grill at high heat for a few minutes to caramelize the sauce.  Wrap in foil and rest them. 

WalkGood said:
Awesome, has my meatloaf beat by miles, lolz.

Edit: all out of "like this" hope dis does the trick
209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg

209rc.jpg
Of course it will with brother! That meat loaf looks mighty fine. 

Oh....there may be some more food shots tomorrow...gonna have to stop in to see what Sunday has in store!

Back