• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Hellz yea, shoot em my way!

Anyways, woke up this morning to a great sight. The plants looked amazing cuz we got a nice rain last night. So I shot a vid and took a few pics after I threw the meat on the smoker. Then it rained again, and again, and harder, and again...lol. Anyone ever tried to maintain heat in the rain??? Fun!

Video is processing and ill upload it when it is done.

:cheers:

I love to cook with the pit but rain sure does make it hard (when it does rain here), even the day after a rain I fight with low heat issues. And this is with "dry" wood from the shed.

I smoked a few peppers and tomatoes yesterday with mesquite, only did it an hour or so, removed as soon as I got some color. Now dried sausage stays about 3. Never having smoked veggies I was afraid to over smoke.

Devv said:
I love to cook with the pit but rain sure does make it hard (when it does rain here), even the day after a rain I fight with low heat issues. And this is with "dry" wood from the shed.

I smoked a few peppers and tomatoes yesterday with mesquite, only did it an hour or so, removed as soon as I got some color. Now dried sausage stays about 3. Never having smoked veggies I was afraid to over smoke.
It has been pretty interesting.  I just have to do a bit more checking the pit temp.  I have been able to keep it within range, but it has been running with the baffles wide open.

Like I mentioned, I took some pics and a video this morning so here are those.
Row of Bhut Yellows

Assam

And I decided to give one of those grow bags a shot.  I have a ton in the garage in what I am guessing was an alternate plan for the wife to pot up???  But it is great because I am planning to use them when the new starts need to be potted up.  Here is the Safi Red

http://youtu.be/MDn5W_prfQI

RocketMan said:
Yep, thank Shane for those Matt that was option Bravo.

Plants are looking great, now lets see some smoked powder shots :)

EDIT: Not that we're being demanding or anything ;)

:ROFL: Its all good, I'm always down for a bit of pressure.  It is still in the dehydrator, ill probably pull them out tomorrow and I have to pick up a coffee grinder as well.

MGOLD86 said:

:rofl: Its all good, I'm always down for a bit of pressure.  It is still in the dehydrator, ill probably pull them out tomorrow and I have to pick up a coffee grinder as well.

Make sure that coffee grinder is dedicated to peppers only. Although, that would make for an interesting coffee flavor, and surprise the heck out of the guests you had over for dinner. :eek: 

Sanarda said:
Great update. Happy healthy green. YESSS!!!
Yea, you are tellin me!  I was starting to sweat....maybe...lol!!

Jeff H said:
Make sure that coffee grinder is dedicated to peppers only. Although, that would make for an interesting coffee flavor, and surprise the heck out of the guests you had over for dinner. :eek:
Thats a must-do!  Unless of course I REALLY needed to wake up...

So here are a few gluttony pix.  The weather ended up really throwin a wrench in my plans.  It began to pour, like Biblically poor, and my temps began to drop in to the 100s....So at that point I was at about 7 hours on the smoker so I pulled them inside and threw them in the oven for another 2 hours to finish them off.  I used the "Texas Crutch" so I wrapped them and put about a 1/4 cup apple juice to keep everything moist and cookin.  Anyways, it tasted friggen amazing and I ate too much.

I used the minion method, and 3 pieces of hickory and one of applewood.

About 5 hours in

Finished resting

Pulled

And because to make this legit there needs to be some heat...

I really love this smoker.  It is unfortunate I was unable to finish on it this time, but at least I got a ton of good smoke on it before I had to move the meat.  The shoulder had a great bark, even with an hour or so in the oven.  It was smoky, crispy, and awesome.  And I gotta say, RM's smoky sauce was the greatest compliment to the meat.  Had a bit of bite, but the flavors melded perfectly. 

Alrighty, time to grab a drink and watch some Top Chef. 

:Cheers:

Haha...yup, been there done that on the rain/smoker. Been out there in my gortex with near freezing temps and pouring cold rain...and smiled while doing it. Good choice of wood for that batch. Looking great on the garden as well my friend. Hope those bags work out for you. I ordered them in case mama had to pot them up before you came home. Those were some big plants in those little starter trays! Haha...I knew either way they'd get a purpose. The 1/2 gallons are great to build a nice rootball before potting up or planting into their final homes. Keep me posted on the quality on those, they were a really good deal and I may just order me some for next season.

The meat looked fantabulous! I will be out your way in a month...Fayetteville for a week or so and may even drive down to Myrtle Beach for a day...ahhhh, some leave....Oh, and point is...I'll be kickin my diet while there for some good ole NC BBQ!!! Doing a bang up job with them plants brotha! Keep up the good work!

stc3248 said:
Haha...yup, been there done that on the rain/smoker. Been out there in my gortex with near freezing temps and pouring cold rain...and smiled while doing it. Good choice of wood for that batch. Looking great on the garden as well my friend. Hope those bags work out for you. I ordered them in case mama had to pot them up before you came home. Those were some big plants in those little starter trays! Haha...I knew either way they'd get a purpose. The 1/2 gallons are great to build a nice rootball before potting up or planting into their final homes. Keep me posted on the quality on those, they were a really good deal and I may just order me some for next season.

The meat looked fantabulous! I will be out your way in a month...Fayetteville for a week or so and may even drive down to Myrtle Beach for a day...ahhhh, some leave....Oh, and point is...I'll be kickin my diet while there for some good ole NC BBQ!!! Doing a bang up job with them plants brotha! Keep up the good work!

Yea, I was like in and out of the door trying to get the temps stable.  But I will definitely let you know how the bags work out, I am planning to put my starts in them as well so they should get a fair trial run.  Let me know when you are heading this way, if I am in town and mobile I may try and get the day off and meet you somewhere. 

MGOLD86 said:

They say on the bag 'for electric smokers', which THEY DONT FRIGGEN SELL. 

Hahaha!  Don't worry about it.  The wood doesn't know any different.  ;)  The chips "for electric smokers" will work just fine on a charcoal rig.  One thing which you probably already know, is to soak the wood chips in water for 20 to 30 minutes before putting them on the coals.  They will last longer, won't just burn up, and will generate a lot more smoke.   

And those rib racks look amazing!

oh my!!!!  im so done looking at yalls grows.  i just surf to see all these awesome food pics you be posting ;)  very nice  matt who new you were a soldier,master gardner and top chef :dance:  very nice sir!

p.s.  plats looking good also :party:

stc3248 said:
Will do...still bummed you made it all the way out to Pendleton last year and I didn't get a chance to swing by. I know how work ups go...no real time to play. 
Yea, gotta love workups.  We were pretty much tied to the base.  I was lucky enough that in the day before the last day 2 contractors that worked for us smuggled me off the base to barstow to get In and Out. 

stickman said:
Excellent looking porkage Matt, I'd say you've got this down! No vinegar-based BBQ sauce though, huh? ;)
Thanks, and I am a fan of the vinegar but the wife isnt.  I really just did a dry rub and then added a squirt of sauce on the sandwich at the end.  I prefer my pork with little sauce so I can really taste the meat.  But I do have to dart around the corner every once in a while to get me a vinegar bbq sammy.

DocNrock said:
Hahaha!  Don't worry about it.  The wood doesn't know any different.  ;)  The chips "for electric smokers" will work just fine on a charcoal rig.  One thing which you probably already know, is to soak the wood chips in water for 20 to 30 minutes before putting them on the coals.  They will last longer, won't just burn up, and will generate a lot more smoke.   

And those rib racks look amazing!
Yea, that is what I did, but it is still a pain in the ass to keep throwing handfulls in.  If i ever am stuck using them again Ill probably just soak em for a while like you said. 

sicman said:
oh my!!!!  im so done looking at yalls grows.  i just surf to see all these awesome food pics you be posting ;)  very nice  matt who new you were a soldier,master gardner and top chef :dance:  very nice sir!

p.s.  plats looking good also :party:
lol!  Thanks, but I still have a lot to learn!

So I finished my first batch of bona fide powder today.   I have done flakes a couple of times and they turned out alright, but never powder.  I was using wood chips, so they didnt give off as much smoke as I had liked, but the heat and flavor of the pepper is still there.  I stuck my finger in the bag when I was done and damn it is :hot:  This stuff really cleared out my sinuses.  Probably about a good 5 or 8 minute tongue burn.  I can't wait to try again with some real smoking wood.  I really like the color, I was worried that it was going to go a bit more brownish because I was pushing the dehydrator at about 115.  But no, it is a nice clay color.  And man, it doesn't make anywhere NEAR the amount I thought it would. :lol:

Ok, got a question for yall on the safety front.  I am not putting my tent up for my seedlings because I only plan to have them under lights until they are able to be brought outside (which brings up another questions, what is the point in which it is beneficial to have them under lights or outside??), so I plan to move them from my germbox to the top of my bench under the lights.  I am not against hanging the lights from the ceiling, but I was wondering if I could just stack stuff and put the lights on the stack.  I used a cinder-type block, a 2x4, and a towel to avoid scratching the bulbs.  It is very sturdy, but I was wondering if this would be a fire hazard.  Any opinions?

Thanks everyone for stoppin in!

millworkman said:
Id put them out as soon as they sprout.  If they are going out there eventually then why wait.  Put them in a shaded spot till you are sure they can go for a day without watering and just let them go.  Good looking light too!

Thanks, I didn't even think about that.

Matt the grub looks amazing. I am very jealous.

Now if I were you I would set them babies on the porch for a week / harden them off and straight to full sun. And think of all the electricity you save for more PBR's  :rofl:

Dang Noah beat me to the punch. Slow ass type writer I have 

Nice update!

The pork came out really nice! And the powder, I think you got a lot, just wait and see how far it goes..well maybe not LOL

When it's warm I do as Mill's said, once they stand up put 'em in the sun, not 10 hours a day but until it's hot out, then move to partial shade, the coty's may scald some but the first true's will come out and just right. I think if you do use the lights hardening off will be much harder.

BTW plants are lookin' great!

Back