• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Wow.......wait, I'll say it again..WOW! Your glog just made my head poltergeist Matt. I should have never gotten that far behind. Soooooooo much to take in. Glad the surgery went well and your back at it. Your garden is beautiful. Your food has made my stomach punch me from the inside due to it being pissed I'm not feeding it that awesome looking food. Sorry to see your ferment go south like that. I'm going to have to keep up now so I can low and slow your glog instead of a quick seer!

stc3248 said:
Nice job on the ribs and brisket! You sure you ain't from TX?
Nah...just a whole lotta GOOGLE! :LOL:

PaulG said:
KO, Matt.  You scored with that bbq.
Looks as good as your pods!
Thanks Paul! 

Chilifan-Denmark said:
I would also like to thank you for your service, many Americans have risked life and limb for causes that affect us Europeans too. Especially WW Two ..

That said, Your garden look mean as hell .... really good ... keep up the good work!
No problem, I have served with a lot of European service members overseas and it was always an honor. Thanks for stoppin in!

3/5King said:
Wow.......wait, I'll say it again..WOW! Your glog just made my head poltergeist Matt. I should have never gotten that far behind. Soooooooo much to take in. Glad the surgery went well and your back at it. Your garden is beautiful. Your food has made my stomach punch me from the inside due to it being pissed I'm not feeding it that awesome looking food. Sorry to see your ferment go south like that. I'm going to have to keep up now so I can low and slow your glog instead of a quick seer!
LOL. Thanks man, it's always a pleasure to blow minds!  I feel the same way, if I miss a day (or even miss a few GLogs due to time) I have a TON to catch up! 

Jamison said:
I'm not sure which looks better, all that protein or the pods! I love eating animals!
It sure makes for a good day! Something about BBQ making everything better!

So this train ain't stoppin now folks.  Smoker fired up and loaded with....

These are my yellows from the deep freezer.  Brains, 7s, Fataliis, Fatalii X Savinas, Bhuts, and a few others thrown in there for good measure. Gonna make a hell of a powder.  Ill post a pic when they come off the smoker.  Right now they are sitting at 225, been on for about an hour, and are getting plenty of Ga pecan wood (thanks for the recommendation Rick!)

Also, Taking the mixer out for a test drive for tonight's dinner.  Not all the ingredients, but any guesses whats for dinner??

One last pic for now, I found a good use for the beer box.....gonna take my pepper photos to the next level with this thing.  Just need a bit of poster board and some light, white fabric and I am in business!

Great idea with the beer box. 

Are you smoking the peppers in the foil pan? I have a few pounds I intend to do tomorrow or the next day and was planning on doing the same with a few tosses every now and then to get them mixed up.

Seacowboy said:
Great idea with the beer box. 

Are you smoking the peppers in the foil pan? I have a few pounds I intend to do tomorrow or the next day and was planning on doing the same with a few tosses every now and then to get them mixed up.
Yea, I used a grill basket last time...no bueno if you don't want superhot smoked meat in the future!  This will allow me to get the smoke and avoid the drippage. 

WalkGood said:
looking forward to seeing the new powder and pics from the light box :)
Thanks Ramon! 

So the peppers went for about 3 or 4 hours then into the dehydrator at 95 degrees in hopes that I can preserve much of that yellow color.

And tonight's fun waassssssss............

Chicago style deep dish baby!

MGOLD86 said:
Matt........"The Ferment"...............Andrew Zimmern from ..."Bizarre Foods America" would plow through that with a pair of chop sticks.......and love it...... :D

Ok, I do have an issue with the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza......... :shame: 

I like the thought ......dough, cheese, ingedients, sauce................but the "Fe".....I mean the C.I. just doesn't do the trick ...... :confused:

Chicago style deep dish baby!

Here's my pizza arsenal .......some date back 40yrs. The deep dish pan to use and abuse is dead center bottom. Chicago is also known for its stuffed pizza which also has dough, cheese, ingredients, then a thin skin layer of dough with a non cooked sauce/parm on top.....

Not trying to bust your "Brain Strains"................as I like me Blue Label Scotch....too !....... :drunk:

Matt, seriously your plants look great ! I can't believe the progress in such short a time.
My next update, when I can put some photos together will include a foodie with your powders. I checked each one out..."the finger in the powder test" ..and they all taste marvelous....thanks again.

Greg

Thanks everyone!  It was delicious, and so were the leftovers. 

Damn Greg!  That is ONE hell of a pizza pan collection.  I really must get a dedicated Pizza pan.  Right now I am just using my CI skillet.  It works fine, but it would be nice to have a real Pizza pan. 

Also...I wish I could "like" that video like 4 billion times!  dayyyyuuum.

Awesome looking pizza Matt - any heat added as special ingredient? Not going to comment on the style though because i think PIC 1 and me can have an all out war on which style is better :)

Hey Matt!

Been away and come back to all these pods and food pics, some good stuff going on there!

I was raised in NY and have been trying to capture the NY pizza flavor for years, have gotten close...or so I think until I go back home and have some!

Holy crap Matt, looking tasty! That BBQ is definitely making crave some good ribs. Pizza is looking good although I'm part of the thin crust crowd.

Those yellow pods should make a nice looking powder for you too!

Can't wait too see what else you have in store for us.

You and I are definitely on the same wavelength.  I actually laughed out loud as I was reading.  First, I saw your mix of yellow supers for the smoker.  I think the flavor of the yellow supers is perfect for smoking.  I just emptied my dehydrator last night and two trays were smoked yellow supers.  Haven't powdered them up yet, but the aroma of the dried smoked pods is intoxicating.  Did I mention I use pecan wood, as well?  I have no idea if it is from GA, but pecan is awesome for smoked peppers (and smoked tuna, but that is a different topic.  ;) ). 

Here is where it got awesome:  After I saw the pictures of the yellow supers for the smoker, I was thinking, "I have to tell him how awesome powdered smoked yellow supers are on pizza."  Then I saw the photos of your (incredibly awesome looking, btw) pizza!  Obviously your powder was not ready for the pizza above, but it will be ready for future pies. 

Very cool, Matt.  Glad to see you settled in back home. 

I am certainly no expert, but I've found you can run the dehydrator at around 115 - 120 and still keep good colors on the pods.  Nothing wrong with 95, just that the pods may dry quicker with a little higher temp.  Hell, the last time I ran the dehydrator I needed to run it at 115+.  If I had it at 95 it would have been like an air conditioner on the pods; it was 105 - 110 outside!

PaulG said:
Always glad I stopped by, Matt!

The pizza?  Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
LOL.  Thanks Paul, it sure was delicious!

BrooklynXpat said:
Awesome looking pizza Matt - any heat added as special ingredient? Not going to comment on the style though because i think PIC 1 and me can have an all out war on which style is better :)
I always add a bit of heat...a little sumpin sumpin :)

Devv said:
Hey Matt!

Been away and come back to all these pods and food pics, some good stuff going on there!

I was raised in NY and have been trying to capture the NY pizza flavor for years, have gotten close...or so I think until I go back home and have some!
Gotta love the expirimenting!  I bet it has been HARD work... ;)

WalkGood said:
Thanks and I haven't eaten yet ... mon you driving me away, lol ... great stuff Matt ^_^
lol, thanks Ramon!

Capsicum Select said:
Holy crap Matt, looking tasty! That BBQ is definitely making crave some good ribs. Pizza is looking good although I'm part of the thin crust crowd.

Those yellow pods should make a nice looking powder for you too!

Can't wait too see what else you have in store for us.
I will probably go thin next time.  I like to chnage things up, and this go around I was really craving some deep dish!

DocNrock said:
You and I are definitely on the same wavelength.  I actually laughed out loud as I was reading.  First, I saw your mix of yellow supers for the smoker.  I think the flavor of the yellow supers is perfect for smoking.  I just emptied my dehydrator last night and two trays were smoked yellow supers.  Haven't powdered them up yet, but the aroma of the dried smoked pods is intoxicating.  Did I mention I use pecan wood, as well?  I have no idea if it is from GA, but pecan is awesome for smoked peppers (and smoked tuna, but that is a different topic.  ;) ). 

Here is where it got awesome:  After I saw the pictures of the yellow supers for the smoker, I was thinking, "I have to tell him how awesome powdered smoked yellow supers are on pizza."  Then I saw the photos of your (incredibly awesome looking, btw) pizza!  Obviously your powder was not ready for the pizza above, but it will be ready for future pies. 

Very cool, Matt.  Glad to see you settled in back home. 

I am certainly no expert, but I've found you can run the dehydrator at around 115 - 120 and still keep good colors on the pods.  Nothing wrong with 95, just that the pods may dry quicker with a little higher temp.  Hell, the last time I ran the dehydrator I needed to run it at 115+.  If I had it at 95 it would have been like an air conditioner on the pods; it was 105 - 110 outside!
LOL...ESPN BRO!

I will have to give it a go at a higher temp then.  I usually stick to around 115 for the red and brown pods, but this is the first time I have dried yellows.  Ill check on them this afternoon and bump it up a bit if it is going too slow.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Back