• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Opinions on my first hot sauce

I'm waiting for my Trinidad Scoropions to rippen before I attempt my first hot sauace. I'd like your opinion on the qauntities and the PH of the recipe (I don't have a PH meter) and also the ingredients.

I'm going for a thick smokey garlic sauce with medium heat (jalapeno heat level). I also don't want it to taste too vinegary.

lime juice 1 cup
Garlic 3 cloves
TrinScorps 3 deseeded and deveined
Carrot 1 peeled
Roma Tomato 1 peeled and deseeded
Cider Vinegar 1 TBSP
Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
Water 1/2 cup

I'm going to slice all the vegatables and smoke them for at least an hr. Then pure them and boil the sauce for 30 min.

Let me know what you think!! Thanks.

I see we have a difference of opinions on the level of spicyness this will yield. Maybe I'll do half jalapenos and half TS. Would anyone suggest other spices to add to complement the given flavors?

i am still trying to figure the spices out too! and just make some with the scorpion! i made a suace using 2 douglah,2choc scorpion, 5 fatalii, 5 datil, all were whole seeds and all and it has a very nice burn to it! so if you are growing a plant just make some and try it if it is too hot you can make the next batch less hot till you get it right! good luck, and let us know how it turns out once you make it!

Eric

i am still trying to figure the spices out too! and just make some with the scorpion! i made a suace using 2 douglah,2choc scorpion, 5 fatalii, 5 datil, all were whole seeds and all and it has a very nice burn to it! so if you are growing a plant just make some and try it if it is too hot you can make the next batch less hot till you get it right! good luck, and let us know how it turns out once you make it!

Eric

Good point. I have more peppers than I can handle right now, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to experiment. I've been picking the ripe ones and I immediately put them in a freezer bag in the freezer. How long should they last in there? I'd like to make sauces year round if I could.

It sounds good, but I do not find anything "smokey" in your ingredients list. You could broil the peppers (or all of the veggies) before pureeing to add a bit of toasted flavor and also dumb-down the heat a bit since that is a potential issue using 3 TSs.

lime juice 1 cup
Garlic 3 cloves
TrinScorps 3 deseeded and deveined
Carrot 1 peeled
Roma Tomato 1 peeled and deseeded
Cider Vinegar 1 TBSP
Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
Water 1/2 cup
This is really out of whack. Why are you making such a small amount? What's with all the lime juice for such a small amount? Not enough sugars to balance. I don't think you will be successful making such a small amount, that's less than a small saucepan. If one little thing is off it will be hard to balance. Make a pot of sauce.

This is really out of whack. Why are you making such a small amount? What's with all the lime juice for such a small amount? Not enough sugars to balance. I don't think you will be successful making such a small amount, that's less than a small saucepan. If one little thing is off it will be hard to balance. Make a pot of sauce.

+1 Agree... :crazy: :lol:

It sounds good, but I do not find anything "smokey" in your ingredients list. You could broil the peppers (or all of the veggies) before pureeing to add a bit of toasted flavor and also dumb-down the heat a bit since that is a potential issue using 3 TSs.

I am going to smoke all the vegatables. Would that flavor not come through in the sauce?

I'm making a small amount b/c I only have a few sauce bottles. How much lime juice and sugar would you suggest?

I have to agree with THP it’s not going to be what you want it to be. 1 Cup is enough lime juice for, well more than a gallon of sauce. I think I kind of see where your going with it and if I was doing this I think it would more like:

3 Scorps
3 whole Carrots peeled
3 Roma’s or maybe a package of reconstituted Sun-dried Toms
3 Large Cloves Garlic
1 Med Sweet Onion
2 Tbs Lime Juice
Water to cover Veggies

Smoke your veggies as planned and don’t even think about grabbing the liquid smoke, it won’t be what you want, run your veggies through the food processor or fine chop them put into a pot and boil for 30 minutes. After the boil run through a blender till smooth then back into the pot and simmer 45 to 60 minutes or till you have the consistency you want. Taste the sauce and adjust, use Honey or Agave Nectar for sweetness. It will give you another layer of flavor where sugar just gives you sweet. You said you don’t have a ph meter. You can get a cheep one at a Lowes or Home Depot or go to a pool supply place and you can get some test strips. You really want your sauce to be below 4 ph for safety. If you don’t check ph keep it in the fridge and just pull it out when you want some and then right back in. It should be good for a couple of weeks. Another thought for some smokiness would be to add some Chipotles to the mix. Like 1 tsp of powdered or Chipotles in Adobe sauce would be good IMHO. Happy Saucing

Cheers,
RM

Thanks for the input RM. I think I was going overboard on the lime juice b/c I don't have a PH meter and I wanted to make sure it's safe. I'll check out home depot for the testers. How much honey would you recommend for that amount of sauce? I'm not a fan of sweet sauces. I'd really like the smoke and garlic to shine through. I may just make some tonight!!

I would only use the honey if the sauce is too sour for you. Ust it to offset the sour and get it to where yu want it. I'd start with a tablespoon and then add 1Tbs at a time till it's where you want it to be.

Cheers,
RM

Back