• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Orekoc's 2019 grow

Can't think of a clever topic title, so, it is what it is.

I started late this year.  Planted on two different dates, 3/24/2019 and 3/29/2019, didn't get them on to the heating mats till 3/31/2019. 

Here is the list, we will see how many come up. The first 36 were planted first, the last 36 were planted, well, last.

The bolded ones have at least one sprouted.

The Bold Badger ones are from his big bag o' mixed seed.  I took out 6 placentas that either looked different from each other, or were a different color.  Then planted 6 seeds from each.  Thus, the numbers 1 - 6.

Sawyer is starting me some seeds (ones I bought from ButchT), and I plan to buy a few plants from him as well.

1. Saraga Scotch Bonnet - Trident
2. Cobra - Pepper Guru
3. Alan Boatman TF - White Hot Peppers
4. Beth Boyd SB - White Hot Peppers
5. Jamaican Hot Chocolate - White Hot Peppers
6. Bahamian Beast Peach F3 WHP - White Hot Peppers
7. PDN x Reaper - White Hot Peppers
8. Reaper x Lemon Drop - White Hot Peppers
9. Primo x Lemon Drop - White Hot Peppers
10. Salem - Trident
11. Obeah - Trident
12. Papa Dreddie - Malarky
13. Freeport Orange SB - White Hot Peppers
14. Hababon Peach Cross - White Hot Peppers
15. Orange Ribbon - White Hot Peppers
16. Aji Cachucha Cuba - ??Cachucha??
17. Scotch Bonnet WHP - White Hot Peppers
18. Bahamian Beast Mustard Stingers F2 WHP - White Hot Peppers
19. Sri Lanka Chili Red - Pepper Guru
20. Aleppo - Lawrence Family Farms
21. Bike Billy Jalapeno - Lawrence Family Farms

22. Scotch Brains ISO - White Hot Peppers
23. Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion WHP - White Hot Peppers
24. Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques F6 White
25. Bishop's Crown - Bhuter
26. Big Sun Habanero - Lawrence Family Farms
27. Pablano - Lawrence Family Farms

28. Tekne Dolmasi - Lawrence Family Farms
29. Spezzanno Thai Chile - Mike & Holly Brown
30. Chapeu Du Frade - Lawrence Family Farms
31. Purple Bhut Pumpkin - White Hot Peppers
32. Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques F6 Violet
33. Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques F4 White
34. Morupi Amarela - Bhuter
35. Penis Pepper - Lawrence Family Farms
36. Pimiento Cristal - Lawrence Family Farms

37. Xian Horn - World of Zing
38. Facing Heaven 7 Star Chillies - World of Zing
39. Bold Badger 1
40. Bold Badger 2
41. Bold Badger 3

42. Bold Badger 4
43. Bold Badger 5
44. Bold Badger 6
45. Indian Jwala - Bhuter 2014
46. SB7J - Bhuter
47. Pimenta Leopard - Bhuter
48. Orange Bhut - Bhuter 2014
49. Bahamian Goat - Jamison Pitsch
50. Bonda Mu Jacques- -Tommy Grissom
51. Purple Flower Bubblegum Orange - Bhuter
52. Peach Scotch Bonnet - Bhuter
53. Red Dog - smileyguy697 2014
54. Coyote Zen White - ?Bhuter?
55. Peach Bhut WM - Bhuter
56. MOA - HillBillyJeff
57. SBS Purple Ornamental - smokemaster
58. Scotch Brain F6 - FreePortBum
59. Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - Ford's Fiery Foods
60. Green Hornet - romy6
61. BOC - Bhuter
62. Cappuccino SB - Bhuter
63. Fatalii Jigsaw - HillBillyJeff
64. Monster Apocalisse - Bhuter

65. Jalapeno Purple - White Hot Peppers
66. 7 Pot Pink - White Hot Peppers
67. PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F2 - ?Bhuter?

68. Vencentian Seasoning - Aron Taylor
69. Peach Wasp - White Hot Peppers
70. Bonda Ma Jacques   - ???
71. Bahamian Goat - Buckeye
72. Blue Christmas - Hippy Seed

Thanks for looking.  I'll get a picture or two up tomorrow.

OBC - Oregon Bag Company.  A nursery supply / greenhouse place in Canby, about a 40 minute drive north from me, on an old highway.  I know there are places closer, but they aren't as professional as this place. I think they've been around for 50+ years.

Trident offered me the Obeah seed when he sent me some Saraga Scotch Bonnet seed.  He also sent me some Salem seed as well, and I got 5 sprouted of those.

Trident's cross “Salem” which is Obeah x Butch T. Steve Queen from Fort Lauderdale created Obeah which is a MoA x Reaper Trident then crossed it with a Butch T. Has the shape of a Red Bahamian Goat with a good tail.

Also, I have great respect for those of you going commercial.  I am worn out from potting up close to a hundred seedlings today.  And I took plenty of breaks and rest periods.  Don't know how Trent does it.

Quick question men, women, and non-binaries.  I have a chance to grow on pepper at a friends house where it will be fairly isoloated, as in several 100 yards from any other possible pepper with huge barn in between.

Which pepper should it be?

Thanks!

Orekoc said:
Quick question men, women, and non-binaries.  I have a chance to grow on pepper at a friends house where it will be fairly isoloated, as in several 100 yards from any other possible pepper with huge barn in between.

Which pepper should it be?

Thanks!
As in a single plant, or a crop of many plants of the same variety?

My take:.if it's just one or a few  plants that you can have at your friends place I would pick those you value the most   and  want to
prevent crossing at all cost..I looked to see if you had any wilds ;) on your list a that would be my pick,didn't see any.Also those you 
are growing that might be hard to get seeds of if any crossing were to occur.

Thanks wiri, I'll be trying a wild next year.  And that one I'll isolate for sure.
wiriwiri said:
My take:.if it's just one or a few  plants that you can have at your friends place I would pick those you value the most   and  want to
prevent crossing at all cost..I looked to see if you had any wilds ;) on your list a that would be my pick,didn't see any.Also those you 
are growing that might be hard to get seeds of if any crossing were to occur.

Not much to add.  Hardening off all the babies.  We've got 9 or 10 more days of rain, so I have them outside.  Just have to make sure they don't drown.  When the rains stops I'll but them in their final places.

Here are the Sri Lanka Reds I'm growing for the Growdown.  Have not picked out which one to use yet.
srilankareds.jpg

And here was something I found at Hmart.
hellokittysoysauce.jpg

Happy growing to one and all.

A few more pics of plants that will go in pots in the next two weeks.

Biker Billys

Biker Billy.jpg

Morupi Amarela - these some how got topped as seedlings.  So the grow you see is from shoots from the cotyledon leaves.  I lost one for sure, not sure if another will branch or not.  Four to plant out, which should be enough, I hope.  I don't remember why I had these on my wish list, but Bhuter sent me the seeds after seeing my list.  He is a good man, like so many others here.  Well, except for the women, they are good as well.  They just aren't men.
Topped.jpg

Spezzanno Thai
Spazzano.jpg

Some Scotch Bonnetts, i.e. Beth Boyd, P. Dreadie, etc.
Scotch Bonnetts 1.jpg

Well, no pictures, yet, but a quick update.

When I repotted my seedlings to individual pots, I pretty much left them outside, so they have been hardening off for weeks now.  I think they are ready to go into permanent pots now, if the weather would cooperate.  The 14 day predication changes several times a day. Ugh.

Also, I went and bought more pots, so I now have 100+ 5 gallon, 100 3 gallon, 48 7 gallon, and 4 15 gallon pots as well as over 100 gallon pots.  So, each variety will get one in a 5 gallon, then 48 will get a 7 gallon, not sure which should get the 15 gallon.

Dreading the cost of potting mix.

More later.

edited to correct grammer.  I really should learn to proof read before posting.  Sigh.  Something just don't get better with age.

Wow, for some reason i was not aware of
the scope of your grow, Craig!

You have your work cut out for you getting
all those filled with soil mix and potting up!

It looks like our weather is going to turn a
bit for the better, according to todays forecast.
Not stellar, but at least possibilities of some
decent sun breaks for finishing the hardening
off process.

Good luck getting all that together, my friend!

Have I mentioned that I'm insane?

We'll see how it goes.  I hope to get the beds in for next year.  Then I'll have all these pots to fill up. 

I'm hoping to pot up 30 a day.  We will see how that goes.
PaulG said:
Wow, for some reason i was not aware of
the scope of your grow, Craig!

You have your work cut out for you getting
all those filled with soil mix and potting up!

It looks like our weather is going to turn a
bit for the better, according to todays forecast.
Not stellar, but at least possibilities of some
decent sun breaks for finishing the hardening
off process.

Good luck getting all that together, my friend!

Orekoc said:

When I repotted my seedlings to individual pots, I pretty much left them outside, so they have been hardening off for weeks now.  I think they are ready to go into permanent pots now, if the weather would cooperate.  The 14 day predication changes several times a day. Ugh.

Also, I went and bought more pots, so I now have 100+ 5 gallon, 100 3 gallon, 48 7 gallon, and 4 15 gallon pots as well as over 100 gallon pots.  So, each variety will get one in a 5 gallon, then 48 will get a 7 gallon, not sure which should get the 15 gallon.

More later.

edited to correct grammer.  I really should learn to proof read before posting.  Sigh.  Something just don't get better with age.

Greetings from just down the road. Could you have a local landscape company drop a few cubic yards of potting soil off? That could be cheaper than bagged mix.

I've had good luck with the 2 cu/ft bags from Wilco.

If I get the battery charged in my 1972 truck, I can get a load myself.  Would be the cheapest way.
EricBee said:

Greetings from just down the road. Could you have a local landscape company drop a few cubic yards of potting soil off? That could be cheaper than bagged mix.

EricBee said:

:welcome: to THP, EricBee!

Orekoc said:

More later.

that is a huge amount of containers. do you do drip irrigation with that many plants?

I think 9 of the 72 had no germination.  Maybe 8, as I found a hook in one of them as I was potting up the seedlings.  Obeah finally came up!  It now has a second set of true leaves.  It is still inside, under an led light.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.  It is raining right now.  Eight or nine flats with 32 plants in most of them, a couple of them have around 20, then some other small flats with 4, 6, or 8 in them.  Plus, I was weak and bought a few to grow. 

Found a "twist" pepper and a "hot" pepper at H-mart, so I had to get one of each. We won't talk about the Bonnie plants I got.

Have I mentioned I'm insane?
Devv said:
I want to see a pic of the 72!

Good luck with all the potting up you have on your plate ;)

Back