• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Outdoor growers - What is your pot progression - seeds to plantout?

Downriver

eXtreme
I'm looking at my pots and such I used last year (72 cell to 2" to 3.5" to 5"), and got to wondering what other folks do.

How many pot-ups do you do, and from what size to what size, before they end up in their permanent home:?:

This year, I'm starting with peat pots (50 pots X 3), then upgrading the strongest ones to 3.5 inch plastic cups. I'm not anticipating any other pot-ups until they reach their 5-7 gallon containers/ground at the end of May/beginning of June

I'm not sure about measurements but I keep potting up as needed until about the end of July. I start with 72 cell trays and sometimes get to as big as half barrels.

Here's the pots I start with
3283921617_011b6fe75e.jpg

Mine go from the little cells into 16oz drink cups then to 32oz yogurt containers then to their final resting places.

What's your timeline?

Would the 16oz cup/3.5" square pot (as I understand they are about equal volume) be enough for full size (~10-week-old) transplant?

I use 72 cell trays to start in then when I see roots coming out the bottom of the cells, I transplant to 3-3.5" containers and they stay in them until they get transplanted to 5 gallon containers...this has worked for about 4 years for me and I see no sense in changing...a 3.5 inch container will support a pretty good plant...the time from 72 cell to first transplant is about 3 weeks and about 5-7 weels until plantout...mid-end of march...this is for my chinense...the annuums grow much quicker...about 3 weeks in the cell starters then 3-5 weeks to plantout...

Soooo, it sounds like I could avoid at least one pot-up, if not two. That would be huge.

After potting up from the 72 cell, do you still water from the bottom? I've heard you have to be careful on the new pot size. If it's too big, the plant can't absorb the water fast enough and could die - similar to over-watering or constant "wet feet". Anybody else here that?:?:

I sow seedsin a to-go tray that is 5-10" octagon. Once they germinate and the plants get about 3-4" tall, I transplant to 3" square (3.5" deep) cells, sometimes "trenching" the stems so only the leaves are showing. They stay there until they go in full size (5-7 gallon) pots or in the ground.

Like AJ, my method works for me and I do not plan on changing.

Mike

ok, so i have a question.

this is going to be the first yeat i grow in pots. normally i use the ground, but i dont feel like digging up 85 holes in a rental houses yard(land lord may get mad) so i plan on starting all my seeds in 50 mm jiffy pellets. then once they out grow those moving them to 2.5 gallon pots. my soil will be mirical grow, but im wondering if 2.5 gallon pots is too small. should i just put the plant from jiffy pellet to a 5 gallon then? or what?

I like to pot up progressively and I always seem to get best result this way. Never be in a hurry to plant into a big container, especially if space is a concern

POTAWIE said:
I like to pot up progressively and I always seem to get best result this way. Never be in a hurry to plant into a big container, especially if space is a concern

may i ask why not?(not being rude) but i seriously dont know why. like i said this will be a first for growing in pots. so any detailed advice would help.

codykrr said:
may i ask why not?(not being rude) but i seriously dont know why. like i said this will be a first for growing in pots. so any detailed advice would help.

There are a few reasons why potting up regularly can be beneficial. If the roots colonize the majority of the pot the growing medium will dry out more rapidly. This helps to reduce the chances of root rot but also allows you to water more frequently. Watering more frequently can help with the exchange of gases in the medium. As you water I believe CO2 is pushed out and vital oxygen is drawn in. I am sure others will have other positive things to add. I should also point out that plenty of people go from small containers to large ones as you stated above and have positive results. I think it is simply a matter of what you feel more comfortable doing.

I start out in three ounce Dixie cups, move up to 16 ounce plastic cups and then usually on up to the final pot, anywhere from three gallons to 15 gallons. This will be the third year for that and I may fiddle with things a little this year.

just my potting regimen right now
72 cell tray
1 pint plastic pot
1 gallon plastic pot
then either3,7 or 10 gallon Grow bags

patrick said:
I start out in three ounce Dixie cups, move up to 16 ounce plastic cups and then usually on up to the final pot, anywhere from three gallons to 15 gallons. This will be the third year for that and I may fiddle with things a little this year.

hey patrick! nice to see you on here..

all i know is this year me and brian are going to be pooping fire! i cant wait to eat a trinidad scorpion! i think im going to keep it simple this year. il probly only transplant once to a 2.5 gallon, and then to a 5. im still in the "buying supplies" process so we will see what happens. either way its going to be good. and i just finished off a small bottle of sauce i made from your bhut powder! good stuff! maybe next year ill get some 7pot, and trinidad seeds.

codykrr said:

My theory has always been: that with too big of a container, too much water is needed for even watering which causes lack of oxygen in the root zone between waterings. Ideally you want something that gets watered and then dries out quickly so it can be watered more often, providing more oxygen and nutrients. Advanced hydroponic systems work so well because of the constant feeding of oxygenated nutrient water.
Personally I go through as many as 8 different pot sizes per plant, and I notice a big difference in plant size and production when potting up in increments
Keeping plants in smaller pots also gives you plenty of more room which can always be quite valuable

I have no doubt Potawie uses the best method...hell, he is a master grower...

for me, handling so many plants and the transplants becomes back breaking work and I am basically lazy...I plan on selling somewhere close 800 seedlings this year and growing close to 350 for myself so you can see, I would be potting up all the time....

To me, the less plants you have, the more transplants you can go thru.... :doh:

POTAWIE said:
My theory has always been: that with too big of a container, too much water is needed for even watering which causes lack of oxygen in the root zone between waterings. Ideally you want something that gets watered and then dries out quickly so it can be watered more often, providing more oxygen and nutrients. Advanced hydroponic systems work so well because of the constant feeding of oxygenated nutrient water.
Personally I go through as many as 8 different pot sizes per plant, and I notice a big difference in plant size and production when potting up in increments
Keeping plants in smaller pots also gives you plenty of more room which can always be quite valuable

I agree.

I'm starting in a 50 cell tray (gives a little more room for the roots) then I start planting up from there. Usually to a 4.5" pot, then 6", then 2.5 gallon, and finally a 5 gallon. I have used pots as large as 10 gallons, but for 1st year plants 5 gallon is good. Ideally if you pot up just as the roots are starting to show up at the bottom, the plants will have the best growth. Of course you can just plant up to its final home, but the downside is you won't have the same root density as you do with potting up. The plants send roots out and down, when they hit a barrier, then they fill in the available space. The key is to not let them get root bound. Too long in a small container will cause problems as they won't send out as many roots when placed into the larger container.

I am really thinking about going to 7 gallon containers after the 5s for my better plants....I just hate to mess with the root ball when they are producing....

Back