beer Ozzy's Beginning brewing

So I went ahead and popped a bottle from last week of the Blue Moon copy. I know its early and I will wait for 3 weeks to really analyze how it taste but so far so good. It was already carbed up a little and taste pretty damn good. The flavors will definitely benefit from a little mellowing. I'm really happy with it though if it doesn't change at all.

Bottoms up!

I also moved my RIS into our closet and roused the yeast again with my CO2 wand. Our closet gets a little warmer during the day. I'm still hoping it will drop a couple more points, but I'm a realist and im going to order some PET bottles so im ready.

grantmichaels said:
Not sure if you like podcasts or not (I give them half my attention while working), but the early episodes of The Jamil Show are densely packed w/ quality info, and they are pretty entertaining/colorful ...

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Page-23
Cool. I'll definitely check it out. I've been watching quite a few YouTube videos for sure. It's a lot easier to do something once you've seen somebody else do it.

grantmichaels said:

Couldn't agree more.

These are really good, in particular.
Northern Brewer makes some good basic intro vids.
I ordered my PET bottles and stuff to finish my mash tun last night. Just need to get a grinder and I'm ready for AG
I'll probably have to get a larger pot/kettle too. A friend of mine owns a bar so I'm having him ask his distributer if he can get ahold of an old keg that I could cut open and make my kettle.

Going to sit down and figure out all the brews I want to make over the next couple months. I just found an awesome shop 45mins from my house that has a ton of malts, hops, yeast, and general supplies.
http://momalt.com
My local shop is good for some stuff but they don't restock often and don't have any bulk grain. This place will be well worth the drive to not have shipping cost, and have a variety to select from.
I will just have to sit down and see what I will need in the near future so I can buy a big load and save more. 2 row for instance is under $1/pound if you buy a 50lb sack.

Ozzy2001 said:
Going to sit down and figure out all the brews I want to make over the next couple months. I just found an awesome shop 45mins from my house that has a ton of malts, hops, yeast, and general supplies.
http://momalt.com
My local shop is good for some stuff but they don't restock often and don't have any bulk grain. This place will be well worth the drive to not have shipping cost, and have a variety to select from.
I will just have to sit down and see what I will need in the near future so I can buy a big load and save more. 2 row for instance is under $1/pound if you buy a 50lb sack.

Cool.

I'm trying to buy indie.

I've moved my purchased from Northern/Midwest as much as is possible ...

Been using morebeer, love2brew, bootleg yeast etc ...

I'm down with supporting indie, and even buying local (albeit remotely) ...

I need to check out the place in Tampa, though ... Bench's or something, I think? ...

grantmichaels said:
Cool.

I'm trying to buy indie.

I've moved my purchased from Northern/Midwest as much as is possible ...

Been using morebeer, love2brew, bootleg yeast etc ...

I'm down with supporting indie, and even buying local (albeit remotely) ...

I need to check out the place in Tampa, though ... Bench's or something, I think? ...
Love2brew is prob 30-40 minutes away....when/if....good place to buy stuff?

tctenten said:
Love2brew is prob 30-40 minutes away....when/if....good place to buy stuff?

yup, i've bought most of my grains and hops and all recent since my initial batch from them ...

i've found them to be willing to do the kinds of stuff i sometimes want, to ... like ship something the same day etc ...

they hit that nice balance of quality AND SERVICE, and price is fine enough for having a good sized market to serve ...

morebeer is working for me, too ... i like the guy (another ex software dude in beer - there's A LOT OF THEM) ...

there's always been a big focus on beer in the software world - "free as in beer" etc ... but i never would have suggested that it would be so obvious to see in reverse, thinking they'd get lost in the see of brewers ...

not true, there's a lot of them ... brad smith or whatever, the beersmith guy ... the guy who owns morebeer ... jamil z. (?sp) ... palmer's a geek (science, though) ...

it's interesting ...

grantmichaels said:
So - where are things? ... You've got bottled BM clone, an RIS waiting for PET bottling, and plans to brew AG this weekend? ...

LOL.
Not this weekend for the AG. I did get my PET bottles today though as well as my false bottom, valve, and corona grinder. I will probably bottle the RIS tomorrow night. I have an apartment empty that I have to paint and clean, so there will be no brewing this weekend. I still have to sit down and figure out the recipes I want to do and what grains I need.
I may download beer smith this weekend and sit down and play with that. I will also put my AG stuff together and ready to use. I am very excited to brew that stuff up. A DBL Choc stout, DFH 90 min clone, and Barney Flatts clone are definitely on deck though.

Oh yeah!

Sounds like your a grist order away from AG brewing ...

Once I get through my inventory or ingredients, I'm planning to order my batches through this, I believe:
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Build-Your-Own-All-grain-Beer-220p2125.htm

I just moved brewday from tomorrow to Saturday morning. Have to clean and sanitize some stuff yet, and also do the dividing up of the grist, and I think tomorrow I'll see if I can't put time into the BeerGun and CO2 distributor block hook-up's to get those online ...

Saturday I'll brew, Sunday I'll work - and then it might be a little while before I get to brew next, after this one here this weekend.

On the other hand, there's like 12 gallons of beer + whatever this weekend nets, so I know that'll last me a while, at least ...

CHEERS!

so, i'll toss this out here, and Wheebz can add to or modify it ...

from what i've since learned about attenuation, the re-pitching was doomed as performed ...

for that to have worked, the yeast needed to have been pitched in a starter that was already fermenting, as close to peak krausen as possible ...

only more so for your beer being pretty high-gravity ...

apparently the key is that the yeast isn't budding, and is actively fermenting - and then they'll go in there and chew up some remaining sugars, if they are fermentable ...

and, i guess, lager yeasts are even better suited for the job ...

i have to try to remember this for myself, too ... hence sharing!

CHEERS!

grantmichaels said:
so, i'll toss this out here, and Wheebz can add to or modify it ...

from what i've since learned about attenuation, the re-pitching was doomed as performed ...

for that to have worked, the yeast needed to have been pitched in a starter that was already fermenting, as close to peak krausen as possible ...

only more so for your beer being pretty high-gravity ...

apparently the key is that the yeast isn't budding, and is actively fermenting - and then they'll go in there and chew up some remaining sugars, if they are fermentable ...

and, i guess, lager yeasts are even better suited for the job ...

i have to try to remember this for myself, too ... hence sharing!

CHEERS!
I believe I will make a starter from now on period. Especially on any high gravity brews. I agree with what you've said too.

Alright....bottling of the RIS is done.  24 500ml PET bottles filled up and the rest went in regular bottles.  Ended up with 8 regular bottles.  I put them in an empty bucket covered up so if I do get a bomb, it will hopefully stay contained in there.  I absolutely can't wait to try it carbonated.  Its pretty tasty as it is now.  Now I can focus on buttoning up my AG gear and getting all my grains that I will need.  I am super excited to jump into the next step.  I've already learned so much just doing these first 2 extract brews.  Its been so much fun and I haven't even begun to reap the rewards from it  :beer:

Back