• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

windchicken said:
This reaping is the very last Papa Dreadie harvest of the year for me, unless by some miracle we can go 2-3 more weeks without a frost, because the plants are loaded with big, glossy, green pods.

Anyway, here's a spikey Dreadie for ya John:

dreadie_nov20.jpg

:clap: :clap: Thats one of the best pods iv seen this season Gary , awesome looking pepper my maan :crazy:

id be growing from that if that was mine :shocked:

You got green fingers Gary i know that buddy...

Superhot Sim said:

:clap: :clap: Thats one of the best pods iv seen this season Gary , awesome looking pepper my maan :crazy:

id be growing from that if that was mine :shocked:

You got green fingers Gary i know that buddy...

Wow, thanks so much, Simmy!!!  :dance:

These Bonnets are going to Matthew Arthur up in Arkansas. He's an expert grower, so hopefully he will save seeds from the spiker... :P

Trident chilli said:
Gary great shaped pod and a spike can be clearly seen on the top rim .... as this thread comes to a close in the Northern Hemisphere I think Erin would be pleased with everyone's efforts

Thanks John!!! It makes me so glad to hear that!  :party:

With the kind generosity of Matt, I am now in possession of some P. Dreadie seeds and a few other varieties I haven't had before. I'll be joining the P. Dreadie glog next year. Hard to believe that I'll be getting the early starts going in 4-6 weeks from now. Can't wait to try these!

Neil

Hi,

love all the scotch bonnets, I am looking for a few P Dreadie SB seeds for this coming season.  
if you have some to share, I can send a SASBE.

Thank you

Sy

PS. the spikey Dreadies are cool looking

Durham Bull said:
Hi,

love all the scotch bonnets, I am looking for a few P Dreadie SB seeds for this coming season.  
if you have some to share, I can send a SASBE.

Thank you

Sy

PS. the spikey Dreadies are cool looking

PM me your addy.

Jase4224 said:
My P. Dreadie SS is growing super fast, probably the fastest growing of the 30+ varieties I have this year. I have buds forming on it and only germinated the seeds in October.
That's great to hear .... keep us posted on its development looking forward to seeing some great looking pods

mlh5953 said:

What does the "SS" part of " P. Dreadie SS" stand for? 
As Malarky say's SS stands for Select Strain. If you look at page 1 #20 I wrote to Erin asking him about his bonnets and sent him photographs ... I had wrongly assumed that I had grown the select strain however he explained how the select bonnets were chosen ... In UK the word culled means killed ... Erin's understanding is that certain pods were hand picked! .... what was intresting to see was both standard and select pods on a single plant. Hope this helps

I read alot of great things about this strain but discovered it first in a memorial youtube vid talking about the origin and THP member this thread was about.

Hogleg sent me a few..I included them into this yrs grow...looks likeva couple have sprouted already.

Back