• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P-Son's "mild to wild" Manscaping prohibited!!

After a couple nudging pm's it is time to get things rolling...well, get a list situated atleast. I won't be starting my seeds until March 1 this season. This list is subject to change, and I'm betting it will before I'm done typing. My two goals this season are 1.) Take less pics and better quality 2.)Sow later and achieve similar yields. My germination techniques and set up are not inspirational or extravagant so the bulk of my updates will be after early june plant out. Fert apllication and medium are changing a tiny bit but staying simple with it.

c.annuum
Big Jim
Elefant
Giant Aconcagua
Goat's Weed
Jimmy Nardello
Mucho Nacho
Purple Pequin

c.baccatum
Aji Cristal
Birgit's Locoto (growdown)
Yellow Bouquet

c.frutescens
Boonie
GRIF9265
Jindungo
Lombok
Malagueta
Ndungu

c.pubescens
Canario
Brown Rocoto
Dino Pod
Rocoto Largo San Isidro
Turbo Pube
White Manzano

c.chinense
7 Pot Congo SR
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot Primo Red
7 Pot Primo Yellow
7 Pot Red Brain
7 Pot Yellow
Armageddon F-2
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (overwinter)
Bode Roxa
Black Naga
Butch T (overwinter)
Carolina Reaper
Douglah (overwinter)
Fatalii
Giant Twisted Chocolate Habanero
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Red
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Peach
Not Black Naga Mean Red Spiky Cross
Not Infinity Yellow Cross
Peach Scorpion
Red FDA Scotch Bonnet
Spikes F-1
TFM Scotch Bonnet
Red Tree Hab

wilds
CAP 1144
CAP 1530 c.cardenasii
CGN 19198 c.sp
c.buforum
c.ciliatum
Cumari Parana
Cumari Verdareira
c.exile-chacoense-cobincho
c.eximium
c.flexuosum
c.galapagoense
Huge Rocopica (pube x card)
c.lanceolatum
Mata Frade
Parvifolium
c.tovarii

Now for the good stuff.... 70's style! These are some old and new pics of the pubes and wilds I have growing currently.

eximium and cardenasii
RSCN0307.jpg

NIKONL810004.jpg

tovarii and galapagoense
RSCN0569.jpg

RSCN0303.jpg

flexuosum
RSCN0299.jpg

c lanceolatum.... Holy Grail stuff!!! After 47 days I sowed my last couple seeds in a last ditch effort. 9 or 10 days later and this guy hooks. I'm over the moon...that is until I see the seed hull hanging on. Really?? So what do you do when only 1 sprouts out of your 7 seeds and it has a helmet head? Surgery ensued! I weaseled the pinhead sized casing off and everything looked nice and green but in a few hours it started looking rough. Fingers crossed for now. Excuse the cell phone picture here.
2013-02-03_10-40-10_380.jpg

Pubes
2012-12-29_22-15-48_522.jpg

RSCN0573-1.jpg

RSCN0629.jpg

RSCN0648.jpg

Dudes on fire with those mad camera skills... If ya don't mind me asking what camera are you using? Excellent pics thru out man.... Black naga??? interesting pod, will have to throw those into the seed tray along with everything else...

Pictures and pods are perfect, love your attention to detail … Awesome shots of your son’s catch of the day! I grew up fishing my brains out and have passed that onto the kids as well but all my shots of them are still in 35mm, never gotten around to scanning everything :/

Hope you and yours have an awesome weekend :)

Beautiful pod shots John!  How is the Douglah X IC?  I am a huge IC fan, and it crossed with a dougie scares me TO DEATH!

millworkman said:
And yet again...  :)  Can I get some was of knowing how small those first ones actually are.  The Ndungu.  I have a plant from seeds from Uganda that are remarkably similar.
Ever have a donne sali or chuncho? They are a bit longer than them,not much. 1/2" long and 1/8" wide on average.

Pulpiteer said:
Are you taking pictures at night?  Those purple flowers just pop like that.  Very pretty.  

That yellow 7 is a nice looking pod too.  Just the shape that I like them.  One of my favorite peppers I think.
Both night and day day pictures. I will elaborate later on.

stc3248 said:
Just stunning John...you keep taking the camera work to the next level! Armageddon??? That thing looks freakin painful!
Armageddon will make you give back things you never stole!!!!! All of the browns do,right? Paper thin pods,thinnest I have ever seen. Ultra productive plant and very consistant pod shape.
Portuge said:
Dudes on fire with those mad camera skills... If ya don't mind me asking what camera are you using? Excellent pics thru out man.... Black naga??? interesting pod, will have to throw those into the seed tray along with everything else...
Nikon coolpix point and shoot with a larger zoom function. I guess everything out now will give you quality pics. A steady hand and knowledge of the camera functions helps. Next season I hope to have a fancy dslr and some good

@ Charles... I haven't forgot about you. I am waiting on a couple things and I will get you out a box of goodies.

Devv said:
Excellent camera work there for sure!
Thank you sir.

WalkGood said:
Pictures and pods are perfect, love your attention to detail … Awesome shots of your son’s catch of the day! I grew up fishing my brains out and have passed that onto the kids as well but all my shots of them are still in 35mm, never gotten around to scanning everything :/

Hope you and yours have an awesome weekend :)
Wish I grew up fishing in the salt and brackish waters. It was polluted creeks and ponds for me. I have been going just about everyday and the garden is showing signs of neglect.

MGOLD86 said:
Beautiful pod shots John!  How is the Douglah X IC?  I am a huge IC fan, and it crossed with a dougie scares me TO DEATH!
I honestly have not tried it yet,just have dried them. One is red,the other black,not very productive which is weird.
img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/9728947536_d0938bee35_b.jpg[/img]
I haven't showed any harvest pics but I have been picking a full wal mart bag every other day. I'm ready to yank everything and be done.
9793816834_45a8959d6f_b.jpg

Jay's Ghost Scorpion Red will keep you busy picking. Super productive plants.
9794554343_43a401bdc4_b.jpg

I wish I could get a panorama shot of this to show the 1000's of pods on it. Seeds were labled Bode Roxa,I am calling this Bode Mystery. If you want to grow a plant that makes you look like you know what you are doing,this is the one. A feel good if you will....
9794534944_e378f953a7_b.jpg

Been a good year for the pubes...
9794438634_fe39649e3e_b.jpg

Older pic of inground chinense,growdown plant in back.
9794389275_6787789d25_b.jpg

Growdown plant
9728947536_d0938bee35_b.jpg

9725725511_da887f4724_b.jpg

Good/Bad guy.
9794184834_7183a8863f_b.jpg

9794246056_7601f2d55d_b.jpg

Bump?

Thanks..

Getting back to Andy's question about night/day shooting. I always find myself trying to shoot in the harshest sun after work which is not good,so I would wait until almost dark,but then you have to use slower shutter speeds and blurrier picture are a result(I hate using a tripod). I found that shooting at night had advantages. I was able to get some detailed and clear shots,check for night bugs,etc...

Shooting flowers is another thing I like to do,but most of them close up by nightfall so I had to try and find a way to get a similar effect as shooting at night. Wind is always a factor too so I started trying high shutter speeds with the flash turned way down. Probably not correct or something that is taught,but it works for me.

Shot in harsh afternoon sun.
9794462245_6f22c16157_b.jpg

Douglah pod
9794264045_070402f405_b.jpg

Jay's Ghost Scorpion peach
9794314425_524b49069c_b.jpg

9795278946_a9fc1f12ef_b.jpg

9793863203_59db209a20_b.jpg

9794337335_ba98b86d9d_b.jpg

Wow John,
By no means are your plants shutting down...and I'd like to say your saving the best (photos) for last, but you're photos are also best, all the time !

How tall are your in ground plants ? Those stakes are probably 6 ft'ers...

The Jay's Scorpion Red is a dynamite producer, especially in your garden..hotter than a Carbon ?

Dang, I glanced at FreeportBurn's seedling start and at 1st thought that was yours...hah
But I know better, it's too early to shutdown the garden and too early for the trips to the garden center,

Bears/Steelers....Sunday

Portuge said:
Bump, i too have been thinking about dslr camera but thats a pretty penny to lay down for now... Pics look great
I should have spent alittle extra and made the jump initially.

capsidadburn said:
Beautiful John! Love the Jay's Ghost plant, Bode Roxa, and the Mantis! That harvest shot with dark background is pure beauty.
Thanks for stopping in Mike,I need to check your glog out. I have been slacking.

PIC 1 said:
Wow John,
By no means are your plants shutting down...and I'd like to say your saving the best (photos) for last, but you're photos are also best, all the time !
How tall are your in ground plants ? Those stakes are probably 6 ft'ers...
The Jay's Scorpion Red is a dynamite producer, especially in your garden..hotter than a Carbon ?
Dang, I glanced at FreeportBurn's seedling start and at 1st thought that was yours...hah
But I know better, it's too early to shutdown the garden and too early for the trips to the garden center,
Bears/Steelers....Sunday
Foreground stakes are 5' the ones in back are 6' and the big stakes are 11 1/2'. I was hoping I would have to add to them but not this year. Plants not nearly as tall as last year but more productive.

Jay's red is hot and productive,the carbons are like a car hood in Phoenix though. The peach jay's spanked me around worse than the red but that plant was in a container,I notice those plants get hotter,could be wrong though.

The Bucco's were rumblin and now they are stumblin. The Squealers are fumblin and bumblin. Mike Tomlin is a politician....period! Their troubles are greater than he,but he is a big one. Worst coach in the league at time management. Morris Buttermaker could have coached that last Superbowl team!!!! When the brothers bowed out,the franchise went down.

GO BEARS!

John, your plants are absolute stunning. You must tell me your secret :) Sounds like you've been doing a lot of harvesting, a full bag every other day  :party: Are those Scotch Bonnets on the left? They sure look freaking huge! Just be patient and don't yank out your plants just yet, otherwise we have to wait till next season for those great photo's!

Plants are beautiful!

And the toning down the flash is a perfect way to get the color balance correct. Crystal clear shots for hand held and slower shutter speeds. Are you adjusting the ISO any? My early on studies showed better color with slower film..well now digital.

I like the time you put into your pics, I'm usually playing catch-up and rush things.

Have a great week!

Been a long time since I checked in, but when I got off today I told myself I was making time to catch up on a few. I love the pictures as always. Such skill. Glad you like the Nards, I am drying a bunch to turn into powder for the fam....teaspoon in scrambled eggs and now I like scrambled eggs, go figure.

Love the eating mantis shot. I wish I had the steady hand and quality camera needed to get such flower shots. Praying mantis, when I see them get picked up and ride around my garden with me(on my shoulder or head) I never see them eating to get such pics.

Back