• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P-Son's "mild to wild" Manscaping prohibited!!

After a couple nudging pm's it is time to get things rolling...well, get a list situated atleast. I won't be starting my seeds until March 1 this season. This list is subject to change, and I'm betting it will before I'm done typing. My two goals this season are 1.) Take less pics and better quality 2.)Sow later and achieve similar yields. My germination techniques and set up are not inspirational or extravagant so the bulk of my updates will be after early june plant out. Fert apllication and medium are changing a tiny bit but staying simple with it.

c.annuum
Big Jim
Elefant
Giant Aconcagua
Goat's Weed
Jimmy Nardello
Mucho Nacho
Purple Pequin

c.baccatum
Aji Cristal
Birgit's Locoto (growdown)
Yellow Bouquet

c.frutescens
Boonie
GRIF9265
Jindungo
Lombok
Malagueta
Ndungu

c.pubescens
Canario
Brown Rocoto
Dino Pod
Rocoto Largo San Isidro
Turbo Pube
White Manzano

c.chinense
7 Pot Congo SR
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot Primo Red
7 Pot Primo Yellow
7 Pot Red Brain
7 Pot Yellow
Armageddon F-2
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (overwinter)
Bode Roxa
Black Naga
Butch T (overwinter)
Carolina Reaper
Douglah (overwinter)
Fatalii
Giant Twisted Chocolate Habanero
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Red
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Peach
Not Black Naga Mean Red Spiky Cross
Not Infinity Yellow Cross
Peach Scorpion
Red FDA Scotch Bonnet
Spikes F-1
TFM Scotch Bonnet
Red Tree Hab

wilds
CAP 1144
CAP 1530 c.cardenasii
CGN 19198 c.sp
c.buforum
c.ciliatum
Cumari Parana
Cumari Verdareira
c.exile-chacoense-cobincho
c.eximium
c.flexuosum
c.galapagoense
Huge Rocopica (pube x card)
c.lanceolatum
Mata Frade
Parvifolium
c.tovarii

Now for the good stuff.... 70's style! These are some old and new pics of the pubes and wilds I have growing currently.

eximium and cardenasii
RSCN0307.jpg

NIKONL810004.jpg

tovarii and galapagoense
RSCN0569.jpg

RSCN0303.jpg

flexuosum
RSCN0299.jpg

c lanceolatum.... Holy Grail stuff!!! After 47 days I sowed my last couple seeds in a last ditch effort. 9 or 10 days later and this guy hooks. I'm over the moon...that is until I see the seed hull hanging on. Really?? So what do you do when only 1 sprouts out of your 7 seeds and it has a helmet head? Surgery ensued! I weaseled the pinhead sized casing off and everything looked nice and green but in a few hours it started looking rough. Fingers crossed for now. Excuse the cell phone picture here.
2013-02-03_10-40-10_380.jpg

Pubes
2012-12-29_22-15-48_522.jpg

RSCN0573-1.jpg

RSCN0629.jpg

RSCN0648.jpg

Another isolation question (to go with Matt's) - it looks like you used a drinking straw to isolate.  That looks easier than dealing with the tulle - how is it working for you?

3/5King said:
You've got some pretty interesting pods, those Elefant pods look really cool, very unique skin. The elongated spikes on that wild's Caylix are awesome looking. It's like a tomato lol. Grow is just outstanding. Oh and those fatalii's look so wicked. Flower shots = upskirts.
Thanks Dave,it's been fun growing some of these.

Nightshade said:
I like those 19198s mine are about to blow up they are branching out and getting bigger
They will get bushy. I kept mine in a small container,with a larger one,I bet they would get pretty big.

Devv said:
Um.....things are really kicking up your way!

Fantastic! Stupendous!

Pics match the grow!

Really cool varieties and they all are extremely happy.
Thanks Devv! They were all happy until the last storm we had,major damage to a few plants.

stc3248 said:
Wow...don't know how I missed that update! Loving those Manzanos huh??? They're such a cool pepper...

Your GW cross from Jamie is almost certainly a reverse of the cross I am growing with the GW as mama. Sweet! Is it shooting up or out? Mine hit 6' in a hurry then bushed out...and she's a looker! Pod shape on yours is very similar, along with them being slower to darken in sunlight than a true GW. 

Your ISO system is pure genius too...like the straw markers! Too late and too many cervesas down for any more typing...plus I think my bunkmate is wondering what the hell I'm doing with my computer this late at night...
The GW did the beanstalk,then did the bushy thing. It is a nice looking plant whatever it is.

I have been enjoying the manzanos. There is no way that anyone can explain how good they are,just can't do it. Brought a couple to eat at work today.
MGOLD86 said:
How is your flower drop with the tulle??  I mean I see one wide open, but does it generally work out well for you?
Worked fine for me. I experienced flower drop in the bags,just with the chinense though. They drop flowers just because they can I think.As long as I get one pod from a super,I am fine. Some of the other ones only get 2-5 seeds per pod,you have to bag up more.

Pulpiteer said:
Another isolation question (to go with Matt's) - it looks like you used a drinking straw to isolate.  That looks easier than dealing with the tulle - how is it working for you?
I guess you can tulle a full plant,it would have to be pretty young though. These super plants get large!

I used the silk pouches with draw strings and would isolate the top of a branch. I wait until the blossoms are swollen but not opened,cut the big leaves off,and bag it. Bugs will be bugs,I found earwigs in some bags and had to start over. The straw is to mark what I want seed from.

meatfreak said:
The drinking straw are to mark which pods are isolated so when he harvest them he knows it's isolated seeds.
Correct.

millworkman said:
After that Tovarri pic, I want an update in here.
Not much to update,unless you want pics of the smallmouth I have been killing. I will try to scrounge up some pics.
NateFrentz said:
This is an amazing log - thanks for sharing it
Thanks for the compliment! It pales in comparison to most here though. If one person was inspired,it was a successful season for me then. The glog isn't really for me,just trying to give back to the community. Thanks again.
Couple pics

CAP1530
DSCN6585_zpsbd199398.jpg

C.galapagoense
DSCN6479_zps485417cb.jpg

C.flexuosum
RSCN6456_zps59db43b4.jpg

C.eximium
DSCN6582_zps541ee53e.jpg

C.tovarii
DSCN6363_zps5df7a276.jpg

C.chacoense
DSCN6309.jpg

CGN19198
DSCN6265.jpg

Growdown plant
DSCN6593_zps0452b7dd.jpg

My youngests first fish other than some small bluegill. Yup,his knees were knocking! Nothing compares to river smallies on light tackle,they just don't quit fighting.
IMG_20130808_143139_334-1_zps34e88eb6.jpg

Another "toad" he caught the next day. He was giving me the business about skunking me.
IMG_20130824_111759_987_zps9b341ebd.jpg

Beautiful depiction of the lifecycles of dem wilds JB. And that pic of you on the latter with the birgy is priceless. Shane better watch out this  PA boy is coming after him. 

Nothing beats taking the boys fishing and catching a trophy though  :party:

Stunning pics as always John...Love the fishing brotha. Tell your boy congrats!!! Here are a few of my youngest...when he was younger. Damn kid's almost as tall as me now...
6612_1207401946673_1940402_n.jpg

58289_1588077023312_914433_n.jpg

47162_1588078023337_5813197_n.jpg

Sure do miss being able to spend weekends at my folk's place...so much fun to watch his face when he hooks a big one.

I really do think you'll catch me in the growdown...its gonna be close for sure!!!

Nice pics!

Why is it when we take the kids fishing they always catch more and bigger fish? But that's cool with me, it's always a good thing to see the smile on their face, especially when they trump Dad, now those memories really stay with them!

I'll be watching the finals for the growdown!

OOPs

Beautiful pics and a cute young man with some good eating. Life is good!!!
Thank you

Beautiful depiction of the lifecycles of dem wilds JB. And that pic of you on the latter with the birgy is priceless. Shane better watch out this  PA boy is coming after him. 

Nothing beats taking the boys fishing and catching a trophy though  :party:
Yes,been spending some time at the river,I got out of fishing for a number of years.

Stunning pics as always John...Love the fishing brotha. Tell your boy congrats!!! Here are a few of my youngest...when he was younger. Damn kid's almost as tall as me now...
6612_1207401946673_1940402_n.jpg

58289_1588077023312_914433_n.jpg

47162_1588078023337_5813197_n.jpg

Sure do miss being able to spend weekends at my folk's place...so much fun to watch his face when he hooks a big one.

I really do think you'll catch me in the growdown...its gonna be close for sure!!!

Nice pics brother. Our Largemouth don't get much bigger than the one in your first pic,not like down south. Great looking fish. That crappie is a big boy too!

Nice pics!

Why is it when we take the kids fishing they always catch more and bigger fish? But that's cool with me, it's always a good thing to see the smile on their face, especially when they trump Dad, now those memories really stay with them!

I'll be watching the finals for the growdown!
It's because we are always baiting hooks,and untangling bird nests!!!!!!!!!  I'm with you,it's all about them now.

Beautiful pics and a cute young man with some good eating. Life is good!!!
Thanks!  I always make them turn them loose. Let someone else enjoy fighting them.

Amazing Wilds Edition you just did...  a picture says a whole lot more than a drawing of the flower and pods...
I have more I need to shoot,just need to find time.

I didn't realize how pretty the flowers were on some of those peppers. Very nice and nice pics!
They are very cool. Good to see you Andy.

And yet again...  :)  Can I get some was of knowing how small those first ones actually are.  The Ndungu.  I have a plant from seeds from Uganda that are remarkably similar.

Are you taking pictures at night?  Those purple flowers just pop like that.  Very pretty.  

That yellow 7 is a nice looking pod too.  Just the shape that I like them.  One of my favorite peppers I think.

Just stunning John...you keep taking the camera work to the next level! Armageddon??? That thing looks freakin painful!

Back