• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PARCEL POST RESULTS.

I may have sent out some crossed Poblano red seeds to someone. I hadn't grown them in a few years, and this year they seem shorter/stumpier. I think my original seeds may have been unlabeled f1's

I will participate in the parcel again and was pleased with the seeds I grew from it. The Lemon Drop, Trinidad Congo, and Carribean Red all look pure. AJ overall I am very happy at how many brain strains have popped their head all over the planet all from one plant in my backyard. I almost always germinate twice as many seed as I want and cull the odd looking ones. I am having the biggest problem with crosses from my Chocolate Habanero homegrown this year and I shared seed in the parcel.:banghead:

Sounds like ya'll are having fun with some mystery plants, sorry I was too late and missed the train.

I only plant a few of each variety of pepper and tomato seed I purchase so when I trade it is original sourced seed left over from it's original packaging. But crosses can be fun and sometimes synergistic. :D

Crosses and mysteries were welcomed! They were just supposed to be labelled as such.

I could have just had bad luck with the few varieties I took, but 100% of them seem to be at least slightly off.

Oh Well!

The only real disappointment out of the bunch are the 2 mutants. The red savinas that are shaped like miniature cayennes, and the banana peppers that are shaped like wierd messed up little.........banana peppers.

The Scotch Bonnets are crossed with 7 pots I think. The Bhutsare not pointy, but have a great smoky heat, etc.

So no great loss. I think I will rely more on the New Mexico Chile site next year.

Upon further review....

My big sun scotch bonnets, which seemed off to me, are, in fact, BIG SUN HABANEROS (forgive me POTOWIE, should be C Chinense)

THEY ARE AWESOME.

Maybe my favorite hab yet.

Italian ROASTERS....SPOT ON with their description. Thank YOU.

NAGAS - SPOT ON

I also found out that my chocolate C CHINENSE are in fact Chocolate Scotch Bonnets! Not Habs.

BOY THEY ARE MOTHERPHUCKING HOT THOUGH........;)

I am sorry to have questioned the parcel, I just thought that in the anal AJ fashion of this beast, we ought to compare results.....eh?eh?eh?eh?

;)

cheezydemon said:
Upon further review....

My big sun scotch bonnets, which seemed off to me, are, in fact, BIG SUN HABANEROS (forgive me POTOWIE, should be C Chinense)

THEY ARE AWESOME.

Maybe my favorite hab yet.

Italian ROASTERS....SPOT ON with their description. Thank YOU.

NAGAS - SPOT ON

I also found out that my chocolate C CHINENSE are in fact Chocolate Scotch Bonnets! Not Habs.

BOY THEY ARE MOTHERPHUCKING HOT THOUGH........;)

I am sorry to have questioned the parcel, I just thought that in the anal AJ fashion of this beast, we ought to compare results.....eh?eh?eh?eh?

;)

Don't forget about your Yellow Nagas! ;)

I hear you Cheezy on the Big Sun C. Chinense I have some Big Sun Scotch Bonnets and they may be my favorite pepper, great flavor and just the right amount of heat. I both shared and recieved good seed from the parcel and would do it again. I also think we were a bit lucky that it actually never got lost in the shuffle. Did you grow any seed of mine out of the parcel cheezy?

Whether you call them habs or Scotch bonnets, you just gotta love the big sun chile. Actually all the africanized C. chinenses seem to be awesome

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I hear you Cheezy on the Big Sun C. Chinense I have some Big Sun Scotch Bonnets and they may be my favorite pepper, great flavor and just the right amount of heat. I both shared and recieved good seed from the parcel and would do it again. I also think we were a bit lucky that it actually never got lost in the shuffle. Did you grow any seed of mine out of the parcel cheezy?

...The big sun SB is identified as a Hab on thechiliman.org

MY BAD!

I was spoiled by the SB's I grew last year that had a wonderfully flat shape. Evidently not all SB's do.

Other than that, I will have to check.

THANKS for that one though! That baby already has a parking space in my overwintering stable.

POTAWIE said:
Whether you call them habs or Scotch bonnets, you just gotta love the big sun chile. Actually all the africanized C. chinenses seem to be awesome

You are a wealth of great info my friend.

Ever eat that ripe lime?;)

I'm new enough to the peppers that I don't know enough as to what exactly some of them should look like or taste like. I was happy with the seeds I got from the parcel and noted the ones that said op or crosses. I think that makes them more interesting. Now if we get some heat and they catch up on growth we'll see what they develop into yet. I'd gladly trade again but most of my seeds would have to be bought as I just don't know if I'll have a lot of seed yet.

Cheeseydome, there are several African strains that are often labelled as either Scotch bonnets or habs, but are probably neither. These include: bigsun, Burkinas, Gambias, and even the fatalii.

Back