• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pash Gets Serious

Seeds Started 2/15:
Beaver Dam (4/4)
doux long d'Antibes (2/4)
:confused:
Goccia d’oro (3/4)
Alma Paprika (4/4)
Maria Nagy (4/4)

Pasilla Baijo (1/3)
Buht Jolokia (4/4)

Monster Infinity (1/1) :party:
Yellow T-Scorp (2/3)
Billy Boy Douglah (2/3)
Lg. Yellow 7 Pot (3/3)
Brain Strain (3/3)
Aji Crystal (3/4)
Blondie (0/3)
:cry:
Aji Omnicolor (4/4)
Chiltepin (3/3)
White Fatalii (3/3)
Donne Sali (3/3)
Long Choc Hab (3/4)
Peruvian White Hab (2/2)
Big Ass Cayenne (1/3)
:confused:
Wild Brazil (0/3) :confused:
PI 653748 (2/2)

PI 224444 (2/2)

Started 2/5
Pile of store bought Fresnos (a bunch germinated, took a couple weeks w/ no pre-soak)

Started 1/25:
Jimmy Nardello (5/5)

Start received from Scott at Grow Wurks 1/15:
Trinidad Scorpion R.I.P. 2/24

Overwintered from 2011:
Chichen Itza Orange Hab F1
Red Carabean Hab
Mystery Pepper

Owerwintered from 2010:
Jalapeno

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

After poring over multiple different possible growlists, I finally got my seeds started. It was torturous eliminating varieties from my list, but I am already putting together a 2013 list of all the seeds I didn't get to start this year. Some seeds I started in groups of 4, and plan on giving away all but one plant from each variety to friends and neighbors. In the end, I plan on growing out 30 plants (20 in the ground, 10 in pots.)

I set Feb. 15 as my deadline to get going and at 1am this morning, I put the last seed in it's peat pot. 25 hours prior, I soaked the seeds in weak chamomile tea/hdrogen peroxide using this ratio.

P1010049.jpg

I took this next photo this morning. My smart little labels did not hold up well under the humidity of the dome I had them under. I did make a chart in case my labels fall apart.

P1010052.jpg

Also, I tested the temp and they were at 88 degrees, so I took the dome off and will check the temp again later. My dad got me a Jiffy 72 pellet starter kit that included a heat mat and that's what I'm using.

Thanks Aji Joe, Wayright, hot stuff, Peppermeister, chris-w, stc3248, and the folks of Seed Train 2012 for all the great seeds! I feel like I'm sitting on a gold mine right now!

More later. Cheers!

Looks awesome Pash! I like the twist on the HP (mixing it with Chamomile Green Tea) although I'm not sure if there is any benefits, it really seemed like something done from the heart and has "PASH" written all over it. No one can take that from you ;) I had the same problem with my list! Not only did I have trouble with deciding what plants I was going and not going to grow, I also had a hard time deciding how many of each to grow. That's the fun part though, if it was all an easy choice it wouldn't be any fun.

Great list Pash! I also use a weak tea solution with a little hydrogen peroxide! The starts I tried that with seemed to pop quicker for me??? I'll have to go back and look at the exact dates I started each and see what the difference was. Just a warning though, figuring out which ones to plant was really hard for me too....but once you've spent the time to grow those out its even harder to get rid of the plants! My wife calls them my babies...lol. I know I have to part with some, and I'm dreading that almost as much as my daughter getting her drivers liscense next week!

Consider your glog followed!
Shane

Hey, good luck on your take-off, Pash!
Am looking forward to seeing your overwinters!

Hey, thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to breathe easier once some of these guys are a healthy size.

Very nice list of peppers. When will you put your babies outside?
I'm not sure yet. I definitely don't have room to grow 72 plants in my closet (which is where the starts will be in their infancy. I have a covered dog run that I've converted into a potting shed that gets some light. A fair amount will go there as soon as they outgrow their jiffy pots. The rest will stay in the closet under lights for awhile. I'm going to play it by ear. I'll be happy just to keep these guys alive.

Hey, good luck on your take-off, Pash!
Am looking forward to seeing your overwinters!

Thanks, Paul! Here's some photos from October 11th when I yanked out 2011's peppers. I could have left them in the ground much longer, but I wanted to get to work on some cover crops. My Dad had been growing peppers in the same spot for 3+ years and I was anxious to start working on the soil.

Chichen Itza: before and after trim:

P1010015-1.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

They looked like this when I was done. I didn't have alot of info on overwintering at the time, and was going solely on what I read here. I bound the smaller plants (which were volunteers from fallen fruit) hoping they would fuse together. Instead they died, as did the seemingly hearty Biker Billy. I should also mention, I overwintered these guys outside but under cover.

P1010020-1.jpg

Here they are the survivors last month, before being put in larger pots. I trimmed leaves during the winter. Next time, I'll just let them grow.

P3150005.jpg

I had to leave the seedlings for three days when I left town which was nerve wracking. I hadn't really got the temp dialed in; the tray was getting too hot in the daytime (it's near a window. I set up a timer to turn the heat mat on and off in 30 min. intervals to try and bring the temp down. For fear of the peat pots drying out, I put the dome on with vents open and prayed. When I got back, some pots were at 90 deg others at 78 deg and some mold was forming. That was Monday night.

A lot of peppers popping up starting Monday, and are really picking up stream today. The Maria Nagy are coming out very strong right from the get go. I'm pulling out plants once they sprout and immediately putting them in slightly bigger pots and under lights.

Overall I'm very happy with the progress. I'm surprised at how many c. Chinese are popping so quickly (#'s updated above.) Next post will have photos.

Here's where the plants are going as soon as they sprout: the work in progress closet.

P1010054-1.jpg

My T-Scorp from January (in the Oregon Cherry Can) is now without leaves. It got fried when I left it outside in direct sun under a plastic cover. I am not hopeful, but I'm going to see if it can recover just the same.

P1010055.jpg

I'm playing around with using coffee and oatmeal bags as pots. I can roll them up, making them deeper, if the peppers get leggy.

P1010056.jpg

Here are the 42 peat pots that have not done anything yet. I've moved them toward the center of the tray where I can keep them around 85 degrees. The edges of the tray were only reaching 76 degrees.

P1010057.jpg

30 of the 72 have sprouted, and it's almost been 7 days since planting.

Awesome! Glad you got some action! Shane

Thanks Shane, you and me both!

Grow Closet got a facelift today; I lowered the lights, put 6500k bulbs in, an put up some foil wallpaper. I've got 4 23w 6500 CFLs and a 15w LED pane I got on EBay for $15 shipped. This setup may change, but most of my peppers are going outside by April, so I'm probably not going to add much more to the lighting.

P1010054-2.jpg

Sexy seven day old Maria Nagy:

P1010057-1.jpg

I'm ready to call it; R.I.P. T-Scorp. Fallen pepper, you will live on in my avatar. He was killed by overwatering and burning leaves when I left him in a mini-greenhouse outside.

P1010056-1.jpg

Six more hooks this morning. I'm praying for the Blondies, PI's, and the lone Infinity Pepper. It's still early, we're 8 days in.

More hooks today, I started getting scared as I am not prepared for potting up, so I ordered these 3.5" square pots. I was going to try and use all recycled materials (tin cans and such) but I ran out of time and I've got 72 possible plants a brewing.

A friend is paying a visit, and I convinced her to take four sprouts earlier than we discussed. I was planning on distributing plants once I had them in 5" or bigger pots, but that was a lofty goal.

These guys are moving out today:

P1010054-3.jpg

I gave my friend some Alaska Fish Fertilizer with instructions. Most of my fertilizer plan comes from this one post. Thanks PaulG!

I refined the grow closet some more; I lowered the lights and added foil. Once the 3.5" square pots arrive, I will start figuring out how best to cram a bunch of peppers in here. For the time being, I'm taking them out during the day to get some window light. They are on a not very stringent 20/4 cycle.

P1010055-1.jpg

Good day today, only 23 of 72 have not sprouted. If I can get just one of the Blondies to sprout, I can rest easy, and count the sprouting part of this project a success.

Guess who woke from his slumber? My one Monster Infinity! Thanks Shane for the seed; he's ALIVE!!! :cheers:

P1010054-4.jpg

Also, big news for Orange County residents: the Fullerton Arboretum has published the chile and tomato list for their Monster Tomato and Pepper Sale. My family and I have been going for years, and it is how my interest in peppers began. It is a huge sale with 1000s of plants, each only $3. This year they added T-Scorps (at $5.) and some other Trinidad/Tobago types. If you are interested, check out the list here.

I planned on buying a Holy Mole at the sale, but now I will pour over their list and surely find others that I must have.

Amazing list of peppers! They have Bhuts too! Jamaican Hot Chocolates, Fatalii...plus the scorpions. Tons of other great stuff too! Those Peruvian Whit Habs caught my eye...

glad that Monster Infinity popped for you!

P1010057-2.jpg

After taking this photo, I decided to pot up.

P1010058.jpg

Roots were starting to poke through the peat on my strongest plants. Because I planned on taking the 'jackets' off the peat pots when I transplanted, I decided to act now. I wanted to keep from disturbing the roots too much when I removed the jackets.

I ran out to Home Depot and Grow Wurks on my bike and picked up a bag of Kellogg's Patio Plus and two 1020 trays. Did you know both could be transported on one's back?

P1010063.jpg

I dunked each peat pot in Myco Blast before carefully removing the jacket and transplanting in 3.5" square pots. I added straight Kellogg's to the bottom of each pot, and filled in with Kellogg's amended heavily with pearlite. Thanks for the tip, Shane!

Here's a photo from Friday night; I'll try to take some better pics today. Cheers!

P1010064.jpg

Only impressed if you did that on a fixie with that messenger bag...Looking good man! Watch out for fungus gnats with that kellogg. I bought some mosquito dunks to battle them, but once I added the peat to the mix the gnats seem to be less inclined to make a home in there...however I planted some of the beans you gave me in straight kellogg and they literally got eaten alive by the gnat larvae.

Were both of those a bush bean??? Neither variety is putting out runners yet so I can't tell. I think you labeled the anasazi bush...but not the hyacinth??? The hyacinth is stunning! Can't wait for them to mature!

Keep up the good work!
Shane

Only impressed if you did that on a fixie with that messenger bag...Looking good man!

Hahaha! I did use that bag to carry both the soil and the 1020 trays, but my bike has gears, thankfully. I've only carried that kind of weight a few times, and my back always lets me know it's not happy about it.

Watch out for fungus gnats with that kellogg. I bought some mosquito dunks to battle them, but once I added the peat to the mix the gnats seem to be less inclined to make a home in there...however I planted some of the beans you gave me in straight kellogg and they literally got eaten alive by the gnat larvae.

Man that's a bummer about the beans. Thanks for letting me know about the gnat's love of Kellogg's. I had to stop a Portabello mushroom growing project early last week because of a gnat infestation and have set out yellow sticky traps by my peppers. I've trapped one so far. I'm hoping bottom watering will help with the gnats. We shall see...

Were both of those a bush bean??? Neither variety is putting out runners yet so I can't tell. I think you labeled the anasazi bush...but not the hyacinth??? The hyacinth is stunning! Can't wait for them to mature!

Keep up the good work!
Shane

The anasazi should be bush beans. I received them in a trade and was told they were bush. The hyacinth are climbers, based on the pictures I've seen of them. I'm planting my beans and corn around April and going to try to get the beans to climb the corn. I pulled up some favas I had growing as a cover crop in preparation for the pepper patch. I innoculated my favas and peas with this stuff, and look what resulted:

P1010056-2.jpg

Huge globs of nitrogen rich nodules hanging on the roots!

Also, here's some photos I took today of the Peps:

This is the grow closet as it looks today, I may take out the 15W led panel and make a separate spot for peat pots.

P1010054-5.jpg

The Alma Paprika has been growing very fast!
P1010058-1.jpg

The Maria Nagy has started out real strong, as well. If this pepper ends up being tasty, I'm going to isolate a plant and distribute the seeds widely.

P1010055-2.jpg

I did not expect the Yellow T-Scorp to be so explosive, but it is my third fastest grower. Thanks Aji Joe!

P1010057-3.jpg

More soon; thanks for looking!

Oh, one more thing. Here's the City of Lost Children: all the seeds that refuse to pop.

burp-1.jpg

Back