beer Passow Brews: Stone Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

Not often enough :(

I usually do around 28 litres/brew to maximise the use of fermenter space, which then unfortunately means that I have to bottle the 7 or 8 litres that don't fit in a keg. Mash tun can take around 7 kg of grain max, so I can (and have) turned out 40 litre batches and split between two fermenters.
I don't drink a great deal, but certainly prefer the stuff that I make over most of the beer in the shops.

dreamboat

imaguitargod said:
Genetic. My mom's father was born without one, my mom was born without one, I was born with one but it slowly dissappeared until one morning in the 5th grade I woke up and it was completely gone. You can shove a skunk under my nose and I wouldn't be able to smell it. I've been slowly training myself to smell with my fingers and skin via identifing air pressure changes/air thickness but it's no where near a realiable system and I can only identify one to two "smells" that way.
No wonder you say your farts don't smell!

Ok, after a few sips of my hydrometer sample, I must say, this is a spot on Stone clone. Nice bitter chocolate taste mixed with the bitter Magnum hops and the black barley gives it that perfect burnt chocolate chip cookie taste that’s in the Stone Bitter Chocolate Stout. Right now, it’s way too young, but in a few weeks, and carbonated. Oh ya baby!

thehotpepper.com said:
No wonder you say your farts don't smell!

I am told they dont! :oops:

Well, I bottled it today, FG was 1.006 which means 8.9% abv. I'm a little dissapointed that it didn't finish with a higher gravity...but oh well.

I'm calling this brew "Passow's Stoned Clone". I;m going to open on in a week to see how carbination is going. Will report back.

passowstout.jpg

Ok, it’s ready. It’s almost absolutely perfect! The body is a little thinner than Stone’s but the taste is almost identical, burnt chocolate chip cookie taste and all! Medium head that lingers and lingers and eventually dies down to a white ring around the glass. This was one of the things I was worried about being affected by the use of real chocolate powder.

IGG You making my mouth water dude!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great and the recipe sounds like it would taste awesome!!!!

My next brew will be a stone ruination inspired brew, but I plan to improve it!

I think that it needs a little more malt flavor to balance it out.

imaguitargod said:
Yep, sure is!

For those who were drooling, yes, it was a 10 out of 10... Incredibly aromatic, full bodied and flavourful...I purposely savored it for an hour... Went great with a bag of Dick T's Nuclear Nutterz...

Very nice job! For extract brews, I like when all of the extract is light, and the darkness comes from grains. I am not a fan of anything but the lightest of extracts. So congragulations!

fineexampl said:
Stone rules. :)
So igg, how's this stuff after mellowing for a bit...or did you finish it all?

Have about 4 aging in the basement (going to have one a year) and about 4 more. The bitterness is still there and it tastes AMAZING!!!

Back