Passow's Pumpkin Experiments

I know, this thread fails without pics but tough nookies, I don't have the camera this week. I'm brewing twice this week (within two days of each other) and both are pumpkin beers.

Yesturday I brewed my pumpkin ale (I'll post the ingredents soon). I used 5.5 pounds of Pie Pumpkin (fresh and roasted) and lost about a half a gallon due to sediment in the boil kettle. All the sediment plugged up my drain spout so I had to use my racking cane to get the wort out.

What's interesting about this one is after it's done fermenting I'm going to bottle about 2 gallons and the rest is going into a large pumpkin to age for a week. Should be a fun experiment!

Tomarrow's brew is Passow's Geraucht Kürbis Pförtner (Smoked Pumpkin Porter). Should be interesting. It's either going to be amazing or total crap :lol:

texas blues said:
"Tough nookies"? What? Are they like chick weight lifters or something?

Salute',TB.

Something like that :lol:

Here's the ingredients to the Pumpkin Ale:
Maris Otter Pale, Munich Malt, Aromatic Malt, Caramunich Malt, Dark Brown Sugar, Fuggles Hops, Pumpkin Pie Spice.

pumpkin.jpg

Poor pumpkins......

Oh yeah everyone iggys dog ate from the wrong bowl this morning, iggy was spewing!
stoneddog.jpg

I'm brewing tomorrow. I'm doing a test batch of of pumpkin ale with chiles, mostly likely. i'll have to take pics.

imaguitargod said:
What's interesting about this one is after it's done fermenting I'm going to bottle about 2 gallons and the rest is going into a large pumpkin to age for a week. Should be a fun experiment!

You do realize that you are opening it up for infection, right? Being hollowed out, the pumpkin will spoil rather rapidly, along with your beer. While I definitely admire the awesome spirit and creativity that is going into this endeavor, I am less than optimistic about what the result will be.

Oak chips and a bit of brettanomyces in the secondary might be interesting, however.

More importantly......

Beer fermented in a pumpkin tastes like shit.

It takes on a raw gourd flavor.

We eat cooked pumpkins, raw pumpkins are like raw potatoes, they taste nothing like the cooked version.

SERIOUSLY!!!

BYO had an article where 2 dip shits fermented in a pumpkin. Their homebrew club crucified them.

And a pumpkin smoked stout?

More power to you!

I don't know of any actual documented cases where that would taste like shit.;)

Steve973 said:
You do realize that you are opening it up for infection, right? Being hollowed out, the pumpkin will spoil rather rapidly, along with your beer. While I definitely admire the awesome spirit and creativity that is going into this endeavor, I am less than optimistic about what the result will be.

Oak chips and a bit of brettanomyces in the secondary might be interesting, however.
It's not like I'm fermenting it in there. If I was, the I'd be worried about infection. but I'm taking as much percaution as possable, sealing it back up, putting an air lock on it, etc etc. Shouldn't rot that fast...

cheezydemon said:
More importantly......

Beer fermented in a pumpkin tastes like shit.

It takes on a raw gourd flavor.

We eat cooked pumpkins, raw pumpkins are like raw potatoes, they taste nothing like the cooked version.

SERIOUSLY!!!

BYO had an article where 2 dip shits fermented in a pumpkin. Their homebrew club crucified them.

And a pumpkin smoked stout?

More power to you!

I don't know of any actual documented cases where that would taste like shit.;)

Once again, not fermenting, just using it as a secondary.

Currently brewing the smoked pumpkin porter right now.

imaguitargod said:
It's not like I'm fermenting it in there. If I was, the I'd be worried about infection. but I'm taking as much percaution as possable, sealing it back up, putting an air lock on it, etc etc. Shouldn't rot that fast...

That won't work. What you have is a relatively bug free beer that you are introducing a bug infected chunk of veggie matter. No matter that the beer has already been fermented.

Cheezy is correct...it'll take on the flavor of dead gourd rather than sweet pumpkin.

Pumpkin stout? Whoa Nelly......now that's entering a whole 'nuther portal to the rubicon. Please don't tear a whole in the universe with that one.

Salute', TB.

I reckon we're all going to have to chip in to buy you a camera.....SINCE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY WE ARE GOING TO GET YOU TO POST SOME FRIGGIN' PICS!!! :lol:

Salute', TB.

lol @ TB on the camera. As for the pumpkin, I'll post a topic over at Home Brew Talk.com and see what everyone thinks (not that I don't respect you all's opinions, it's just I like getting as much feedback on the subjetc as possable). It's only 2 gallon's of beer though and would be a fun experiment.

As for today brew of the Pumpkin smoked Porter, after a 90 minute boil the pumpkin became infused into the beer and was very hard to seperate the two. I ended up with around 4.5 gallons for a 5.5 gallon recipe.

But on the plus side I overshot my gravity a little so I'll probably get a higher abv beer...w00t!

imaguitargod said:
lol @ TB on the camera. As for the pumpkin, I'll post a topic over at Home Brew Talk.com and see what everyone thinks (not that I don't respect you all's opinions, it's just I like getting as much feedback on the subjetc as possable). It's only 2 gallon's of beer though and would be a fun experiment.

As for today brew of the Pumpkin smoked Porter, after a 90 minute boil the pumpkin became infused into the beer and was very hard to seperate the two. I ended up with around 4.5 gallons for a 5.5 gallon recipe.

But on the plus side I overshot my gravity a little so I'll probably get a higher abv beer...w00t!

Shit bro, I'll get you a camera! I'll check out that thread over at HBT. Longtime lurker I am over there.

Salute',TB.

Dough in on my roasty stout tonight.

Michelob's "Jacks pumpkin spice ale" has to be the best pumpkin beer I've had.......(I know, I know) I couldn't believe it either, but it was light on the pumpkin and light on the nutmeg, heavy on the other spices.

cheezydemon said:
Dough in on my roasty stout tonight.

Michelob's "Jacks pumpkin spice ale" has to be the best pumpkin beer I've had.......(I know, I know) I couldn't believe it either, but it was light on the pumpkin and light on the nutmeg, heavy on the other spices.

Actually, Ive had that one and it's pritty decent considering the source..,..

Back