• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Thanks guys.

Here's a view of some ripening Bhut Jolokia yellow pods I've picked. Two different sources for them, AsiaGarden is one and the other is from a nice lady in OZ, wish I could remember her name. I don't believe she's on here.

DSC010121550x1163.jpg

Nice Yellow Bhuts there Patrick. I just added these to my grow list for next year after tasting the pod that I was sent by SuperHot. I really enjoyed the flavor and the heat was reasonable.

Thanks you two.

Finally one of the pods on the 7 Pot Jonah cross has ripened. I've been looking at this pod for what seems like months. It was the largest pod and it sat in the middle of the plant half hidden from view, all nice and cozy trying to hide from me. Everyday I would check on it looking for any sign of it changing color. Nothing. It didn't gain any size for the last month!

The first time I collected three pods from this plant they all went from green to red in what seemed like hours. That was back in July I think. Last night about six pm I checked the plant and no sign of red. This morning when I checked the damn thing was almost entirely red. What the hell? You could see it for a mile, the red sitting there in a sea of green. Half an hour ago the remaining green was gone so I picked it! I got it! The single pod that I've been waiting for is mine. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DSC010151550x1163.jpg

Here it is, up close and personal.

Top view:

DSC010251550x1163.jpg

Bottom view:

DSC010281550x1163.jpg

More to come....

The weather so far this month is nothing like a normal Midwest October. Highs in the 80's and lows in the 50's. Perfect pepper weather and I couldn't be happier and more grateful. I'm picking pods on a daily basis and if it stays this way for another week, and it's supposed to, I may have the best harvest I've ever had.

Here's a photo of a Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate AISPES. It's just starting to ripen and should be ready in a couple of days.

DSC010161550x1163.jpg

Here is what's happening right above it.

DSC010181550x1163.jpg

October in Nebraska? Too freaking cool. :cool:

Not yet SS but today is the day. The Mighty Beaglestorm has done a review on it though. I'll stop back by later on today and let you know what I think of it.

Finally pulling some yellow Trini Scorps from a plant grown from your seeds. They are monsters and a very large majority of them are good examples of scorpion pods. You have a good one there SS, thanks for sharing the seeds.

Here's what I'm talking about.

DSC010321550x1163.jpg

Thanks guys.

Here's a view of some ripening Bhut Jolokia yellow pods I've picked. Two different sources for them, AsiaGarden is one and the other is from a nice lady in OZ, wish I could remember her name. I don't believe she's on here.

DSC010121550x1163.jpg

I got lucky this year with a Yellow Bhut that had the perfect shape - all gnarly and like 4 inches long. But most of the others were not like that and I see a lot of what they looked like around in pics. I'm going to treat it as a cross that needs some stabilizing. Did you notice variation in your yellow bhuts or was it just these two plants?

I have four of the yellow B.J.'s, one from AsiaGarden and the other three from the OZ source. Not much variation on any of them. A few pods that never got beyond an inch or so but other than that no real differences.

In the rush to capitalize on different looking peppers very few growers take the necessary time to stabilize a cross, best of luck to you Spicegeist.

A little behind schedule but...... It seems the 7 Jonah cross gets the last laugh. I'm not entirely crazy so I ate a small slice from top to bottom. Maybe 3/16" wide. Mistake. My capsaicin receptors are way out of whack and lately ketchup has been hot. I'm blaming it on some new meds. Who knows. Anyway I did get a bit of sweetish 7 Pot flavor before the heat became the main focus. The flesh is firm, almost crunchy. I'm no good at describing heat right now except to say I hate it when my lips burn. Need to stop licking them when I do this.

Here's a shot of the inside. Kind of juicy eh?

DSC010371550x1163.jpg

I've isolated a few pods with the intention of growing this again. I always wanted to name a pepper so who knows, five or six years down the road I just may get to do that.

The weather has been fantastic the past couple of weeks and the peppers are beginning to ripen. I'm thinking positive, hoping the weather stays good. Here's a shot of what I got the past couple of days.

DSC010401550x1006.jpg

I've got a couple of bags in the freezer so I will be doing some dehydrating very soon.

Thanks for keeping up with my log.

Love this pic!

DSC010371550x1163.jpg

Patrick. That is a harvest any true chili head would die for. And that Jonah Cross looks evil :mouthonfire:

Thanks Jamie.

I finally have my first ripe Trini Scorp Chocolate AISPES pepper. The word that comes to mind is beautiful. I'm really digging the chocolate colored peppers, just wish they had a chocolate flavor!

Here it is in all it's glory.

DSC010511550x1163.jpg

Thats a big ol' chocolate pod,, gorgeous pepper Patrick!
and that Jonah cross just looks plain out mean! :mouthonfire:
Great pics!

Kevin

Wow Patrick! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Choco TScorp! Great looking pod. Perfect shape, perfect color, and taste?? Wait...I bet it is perfect. But I, like you, wouldnt mind if it was a hint of Godiva mixed into the devil's sweat.

Back