• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Well I finally decided on trying to overwinter, and keep producing, a 7 Pot Brain Strain. I broke down and picked up a 150W HPS light. It's the one hanging from the top. The one on the left is a 150W CFL that I have facing the lower part of the plant.

DSC009241550x1163.jpg

I haven't picked a ripe pod off of the plant this season although there are several that are big enough. The nights in the mid 40's are not conducive to pods ripening.

I've been going round and round on what pepper to bring in and I don't know if this one will stay or not. Should have bought a bigger light. ;)

Well I finally decided on trying to overwinter, and keep producing, a 7 Pot Brain Strain. I broke down and picked up a 150W HPS light. It's the one hanging from the top. The one on the left is a 150W CFL that I have facing the lower part of the plant.

I haven't picked a ripe pod off of the plant this season although there are several that are big enough. The nights in the mid 40's are not conducive to pods ripening.

I've been going round and round on what pepper to bring in and I don't know if this one will stay or not. Should have bought a bigger light. ;)

I was wondering which plant of yours would make the cut to come indoors. LOL I don't think I can do it at my house, but I am going to try over wintering a few at my office. What do your tarantulas think of that 2nd Sun in the middle of the room?

Looks like you have room for a few more plants,

You could always pinch back the upper growing tips,

keeping a more compact plant with dense canopy growth

while indoors during the winter, then let it run when you re-pot outdoors,

I've cloned plants through the winter that produced flowers and pods indoors,

and a few of those will be brought back in soon ...for another round under the lights

Some serious food for thought PIC 1 thank you.

I've got the lights facing away from the spiders so hopefully it won't mess with them too much. I do plan on turning it off at night though. I'm going to overwinter a few more plants but they'll get cut back first, roots and all. Good luck to you two.

Hey patrick nice choice on your overwinter plants but why not bonsaia bunch of stumps in to smaller containers with new dirt before you brought all those bugs inside. It has got to be hard to entertain rowdy friends with a grow light in the middle of your living room no? Seems you could save a ton of space chopping several plants and grow new vegetative growth over the winter. Congrats on your successful pepper season. :)

BeagleS, I was thinking about adding one or two to a skillet full of fried spuds first off then pondering what to do with the rest.

Thanks Cappy. I plan on cutting several back to overwinter, new dirt and all, but didn't consider putting them under the lights and keep'em growing for next season. That is a great idea, thanks.

As for bugs I did a good sweep of the plant and messed with the first couple of inches of the dirt, using the evil stuff aka Ortho Max. Plus according to another individual around here they have had great success keeping bugs down with used coffee grounds. Thought I would give that a shot too. If things get too buggy back out it goes.

My living room is one of those rooms that folks glance at as their walking through the hall or in the dining room. Real fun is in the kitchen and family room.

Great to see you still got too harvest all those goodies, patrick :dance:
How's the weather over there lately? It's been outstanding over here, with temperatures wich arent normal this time of the year, but I'm not complaining one bit :D

The weather has been pretty darn good meatfreak glad to hear you're getting some of it too.

I would estimate I have about 2000 green pods waiting and I'm getting desperate.

Couple of pod pics for the fun of it.

DSC009561550x1163.jpg

Now these may not look like the biggest pods you've ever seen but I'm thinking they may be the heaviest. TS Morouga Yellow AISPES pods and they are solid. A big, heavy, meaty darn near superhot pepper. I'm thinking at least a 40 grammer.....what would you guess Chris? Can't be under 34. :lol:

Yellow Trini Scorps, seeds from SS. These pods are the best representative of the Trinidad Scorpion. Almost all of the pods look like these.

DSC009631550x1163.jpg

My only TS butch T. plant still loaded with pods.

DSC009731550x1163.jpg

Nice pods. As I see more and more trini scorp pods I believe my one plant is actually a 7pot prino, but the other 4 definitely look like that but smaller.

Nice pod pics P. Those TS Morouga Yellow AISPES do look heavy and meaty. :)

You'll probably need to move em indoors to get them to ripen. It dropped to 43F here last night, but we're due for a few more days of 80 degree weather later this week with 50's for lows so I'm hoping for another month of ripening weather, although I don't really need more pods. :)

Just drooling, you have some great looking peppers, that's going to be some heat when they ripen. I'd move them in if frost threatens but maybe it will hold off for a while yet.

Thanks for the compliments and the advice everyone I do appreciate it.

The weather has been wonderful! Here it is the first week of October and we're currently sitting at 83F with a low this morning of 53F, perfect pepper weather. I am happy, no I am ecstatic to finally see some color in the plants. Reds, yellows and browns instead of the nothing but green look is a welcome change.

I will bring in a few after I cut them back to overwinter. The rest will have all of the peppers removed and added to the compost pile. I'm pretty sure my pile of green pepper powder isn't going to be as big as I have been dreading.

Here's a pic of a few I nabbed today.

DSC010101550x1163.jpg

The two little red ones above the Bishop's Crown pods are my very first Trini Scorp Butch T pods. I think they're on the small side. There are bigger pods on the plant but they're not red yet. Just a matter of time now. :lol:

Back