• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patricks 2012 Pepper Grow Log

Here we go again! Time is just jetting by and it's hard to believe it's time to get started again. It is though and ain't that wonderful!

I may be moving this summer so going small this year. Here's what I got started tonight:

7 Pot Brain Strain x 4
7 Pot Congo x 2
7 Pot x 3
Armageddon x 2
Bengal Naga x 3
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel color x 6
Not the Black Naga x 2
SB7J x 4
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 10
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x 6

The seeds are in coco coir in 3 oz dixie cups. They will be covered and on a heat mat with the temp set at 84F.

DSC014391600x1200.jpg

Thanks THP.

Cerebus thank you for the information.

I'm afraid I gave up on the indoor plant grow. I purposely left the piant alone for a couple of days to see how the aphids did. Their numbers exploded so outside it went. Like I said earlier I don't want to be fighting them when the new ones begin to grow. I thought about cutting it way back and into the garage but I prefer not to take any chances.

gnslngr I didn't use the alcohol, got too damn frustrated with the little evil green bastages. They spent last night in 17F cold air, hope it killed all of them.

Cheers right back at you Justaguy, best of luck to you too man.

Luckily I have not had to fool with them... I't still nice and warm, so there are tons of lady bugs to deal with the pests...

You southern growers just love to rub it in don't cha? Glad you don't have to mess with them S.S. Tupperware.

Look what I found last night before heading for bed? Yep, the first little seedling poking it's head up looking for some light. I'm so happy and couldn't be any prouder.

Ladies and gents, I give you.................the 7 Pot Brain Strain. Six days after planting the seed.

DSC014671600x1200.jpg

Funny it was the one with the temp sensor in it.

Thanks Socal. I'm having the same experience. I moved the sensor around to different cups yesterday and temps ranged from 73F to 84F. Frustrating. The outside cups were the coldest. I wrapped the seed tray in several layers of aluminum foil to try and even things out. I'll give it a day and do the temp check again.

Thanks Socal. I'm having the same experience. I moved the sensor around to different cups yesterday and temps ranged from 73F to 84F. Frustrating. The outside cups were the coldest. I wrapped the seed tray in several layers of aluminum foil to try and even things out. I'll give it a day and do the temp check again.

Try putting an aluminum plate on the heating mat, this will spread the heat more evenly.

I can't remember which threat Jack posted what he uses to insulate the pad in. Killing me! But if you are out there JACK! What do you use?

He said that if you insulate the heating pad you will get a much more even heat. I got a pad in the grow room, but right now I am using the temp sensor for the space heater. Once my other gauge comes in I am gonna break out the pad for round 2 of planting. Im definitely interested in knowing how the foil turned out. Will check back soon.

Thanks for the heat suggestions gentlemen.

You're so right Kevin and thanks.

I had another Brain Strain pop a little hook up so that's two.

The heat problem still persists and I've made some changes. The main issue is I let my house temp get down to 62F/17C at night and these mats aren't designed for providing that much warmth. I'm getting a 10-12F boost at best. The aluminum foil tray evened the temps out some but no increase. So this morning I moved them into the T. nursery. It stays around 81F/27C. Going to go without the heat mat for now and give it 24 hours to settle in before doing anything else.

My mat defiantly stays on all night.and I really don't want to put the tray under the MH bulb yet till they are all sprouted. I just slowly transplant as they grow. That said I dropped a bunch of seeds last Saturday afternoon and a bunch are already showing. So, I'm kinda just going with it for now.

Go get you a Hovabator incubator, worked great for me and keeps a pretty constant temperature. I just wished I had thought of it sooner then I wouldnt have had to use the electric blanket

I've got an incubator already but it's reserved for eight legged babies.

I decided to use the heat mat in the nursery and I'm happy to say this morning's temp in a center cup was right on 84F/29C. I'll be checking the outer cups later today.

I added five more seeds to the grow, Infinity pepper, and had two more hooks this morning, 7 Pot and a "Not a" Black Naga.

So true story. I opened the mailbox today and saw your envelope. I was really excited because I also saw the thermostat for the heatmat so I can throw your seeds in the dirt tomorrow. I forgot you sent some powder, and I was so excited I licked my finger, stuck it to the bottom of the bag and came up with a finger that looked like I just got done eating a bag of cheetos. Without thinking twice, I stuck it in my mouth. Great flavor and then a bit of a surprise. Ill tell you, the SB doesn't bring the heat down too much. 2 mins later I reach for my drink but realize that the spiked Bloody Mary will only make it worse. Needless to say it is about 15 minutes later and I can still tell I ate something hot and about 1/4 of a box of kleenex are gone. Sick pepper you got there Patrick. Sick pepper.

I cant wait to grow em and Ill keep you posted. Thanks again.

Matt

Great story Matt and thanks for sharing it! No matter how many times I taste that powder the heat always surprises me.

Did some investigating today. My seeds are germinating at a snails pace. I'm thinking the entire time they were under the matt in the kitchen when I couldn't get the soil temps up above 70 shouldn't count anymore. I have eight seeds that have germinated. I did a bit of rooting around today just to see if there is anything going on with the other seeds I started. I checked eight of them under the miscroscope and every one of them has a tail that has exited the seed. Going eight for eight made me all warm and fuzzy on the outside.

Looking through the eyepiece of the 'scope. See that tail?

DSC014711600x1200.jpg

For the ones that have germinated I set up a light to keep them happy and growing.

DSC014761600x1200.jpg

Hey Patrick,

Electron Microscope?..............yea right....ha

I can see the tail from the seed, what's the other fiberous hairs, roots?

Greg

Electron microscope....man don't I wish. Just an old stereo 'scope.

The other fiberous hairs are part of the coco coir. Pretty hairy stuff.

Back