• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patricks 2012 Pepper Grow Log

Here we go again! Time is just jetting by and it's hard to believe it's time to get started again. It is though and ain't that wonderful!

I may be moving this summer so going small this year. Here's what I got started tonight:

7 Pot Brain Strain x 4
7 Pot Congo x 2
7 Pot x 3
Armageddon x 2
Bengal Naga x 3
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel color x 6
Not the Black Naga x 2
SB7J x 4
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 10
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x 6

The seeds are in coco coir in 3 oz dixie cups. They will be covered and on a heat mat with the temp set at 84F.

DSC014391600x1200.jpg

I totally agree, Pepperjam. I use the DE and a perlite layer on my over-winters and apply it all around my plants where gnats could fly and crawl. Just gotta keep it dry. But Patrick has some friendlies patrolling the area--Tarantulas.

Thanks you guys/gals!! Thanks for coming to the rescue so quickly. Man I love the people on this site.

I have some stuff that is made from neem and canola oil that is supposed to murderize the bastages, from egg to adult. I watered every one, waited about an hour then added a few drops of the bug killer directly over the area the seed was planted. For the seedlings I ran a few drops down the stem, hoping it would continue down to the root area.

I looked long and hard for any type of flying critter in the room and found nothing.

Got a little excitement in the mail today--my AISPES seeds have arrived! I'm going to try and grow W bj W AISPES003 x 4, GhostLady AISPES006 x 3, White Cat AISPES008 x 4 and Ghost AISPES106 x 4. These are all C. chinense.

Got a little excitement in the mail today--my AISPES seeds have arrived! I'm going to try and grow W bj W AISPES003 x 4, GhostLady AISPES006 x 3, White Cat AISPES008 x 4 and Ghost AISPES106 x 4. These are all C. chinense.

Patrick,
You have some unique seeds there...4 more types to isolate,....the White Cat sounds interesting

Greg

Finally got the AISPES seeds in the dirt.

DSC015341600x1200.jpg

Four of all but the GhostLady which I got three of.

I also started using a different growing medium with these guys and I've found a couple of issues already. It's Jiffy Organic Seed Starting Mix. First off is you can't tell if it's wet or dry by looking at it. Second is it appears to compact easily. I fixed both issues by adding a top layer of coco coir, that's easy to see if wet or dry and by adding some perlite to keep it from packing so tightly and allowing oxygen to get to the roots.

I also started a few seeds with the wet paper towel in a baggie method and had some success. They're in the Jiffy mix now just waiting to explode with new growth.

Here's a couple of Thai Hot seeds that were wagging their tail.

DSC015361600x1200.jpg

And one of the better ones, a Scotch Bonnet. These were all started on Feb 3rd with the pics taken yesterday on the 9th.

DSC015381600x1200.jpg

Here's a list of the new ones.

Scotch Bonnet x 4
Thai Hot x 3
SB7J x 5
Naga Morich x 5

Life is good.

And slowely you are already expanding your growlist again :lol: looks great, Patrick! Looking forward seeing those AISPES varieties this summer.

+1

Those AISPES are gonna be pretty sick to follow. Maybe when I get a full season to grow I will sign up and give growin some crazy stuff a shot.

Update time. I started out this year with thinking I was going to move so I kept the numbers low. Now that I've decided to stay I've been starting more and more. I'll have an update on types and numbers later. For now I thought I would post a few pics of the way things have progressed.

DSC015801600x1200.jpg

The overhead shot.

DSC015841600x1200.jpg

The front row. Kind of hard to see but I had a bit of a yellowing problem, think I went a little heavy on the fertilizer, seems to be clearing up.

DSC015901600x1200.jpg

Shot from the side. You can see some of the mottled yellowing on the leaves better in this shot.

The last 10 that I've potted up I've sprinkled a little bit of mycorrhizae powder on the growing medium and then set the seedling right on top of it. I'm doing this based on some reading I did in a horticultural magazine named Rosebud. I guess we'll see. I am pretty happy with the overall growth despite the fert problem. Got some good looking stems and I am a leg man. :halo:

Those look Great! Think of the low numbers like this, less to cull! You have what you need and you don't have to give away to people who are gonna kill em or kill em yourself!

Thanks you three.

Matt I hate to cull. Absolutely hate it. I'll share some with friends and family, lose a few for what ever reason and I always end up with the right number. I did surprise myself with the total number. No idea I had started this many new ones. The Thai's and Scotch Bonnet's are for a friend so they don't count. Right? Hhhmmmm.... :halo:

7 Pot Brain Strain, PepperLover x 5
7 Pot Jonah x 5
7 Pot Primo x 5
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate x 5
Fatalii x 5
Infinity x 5
Joe's Long x 5
Lemon Drop x 5
Naga Morich x 5
Pepperoncini x 6
Scotch Bonnet cross 7 Pot Jonah (SB7J) isold x 5, nonisold x 2
Scotch Bonnet, Jamaican Yellow x 5
Scotch Bonnet, Red x 5
Takanotsume x 5
Thai Bird sh*t x 3
Thai Dragon x 3
Thai Red x 3
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend, Hippy x 5
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Yellow AISPES x 2
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate x 5

Nice action Patrick. Glad you aren't moving.Should be another epic grow year for you :cheers:
I had a madballz break the surface today. :dance: Thank you

Honestly, what is your take on AISPES? How easy is it to navigate the boards, what is the process to get the seeds, and how intensive is the req't to document and report? I am pretty good at keeping logs and wouldn't have an issue isolating and reporting, but the language thing kinda freaks me out and is it more of a click box for seeds you want or "marketplace" like we have?

You have some pretty intriguing strains from them this year and I just wondered how much you value being a member. The dues aren't an issue, if it is worth it.

Thanks guys.

I like AISPES Matt but I do have trouble with the language and navigating the site but I manage. I don't think they're real strict on documenting and reporting, I did a real poor job last year and they let me renew my membership and get seeds again. I do plan on improving over last year. I did send them back a lot of isolated seeds to put back into their bank. Getting seeds isn't that hard it just depends on the number they have available. They will list what varieties are available and you send in your wish list and they will send what they can. It's a first come first served thing I think. This is my second year and so far I've gotten every thing I've asked for.

I really like what they stand for. They work hard providing pure seed and a few members, Marco for one, work hard on trying to stablize new peppers. I imagine most of the varieties they grow once stabilized will eventually find their way to the public. Being involved allows you earlier access and you get to be part of a team that is working for the future and that's always worth a warm fuzzy. As long as google translate is available I'll be a member if they'll continue to have me.

Plants look great, Patrick. It will be interesting
to see how your AISPES seeds pan out! Good
luck going forward : )

I got tired of the wobbly card table I've used for the past couple of years and broke down and set up the drawing table that's been in a box in the garage. Much more stable AND it has wheels! That's a win win.

DSC015921600x1200.jpg

Back