• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

It looked to me like the clones needed some more light, so last night I put
them on the grow table with the rest of the plants. I knew it would force
the issue for some of the bigger leaves that were looking a little wilty,
and maybe even for some of the clones that weren't taking too well.
After leaving them overnight, I clipped all the wilted leaves and cotyledons,
sprayed them with water and put them back in their new home.

Original clones:
DSCN3711a.jpg

top: serrano, cayenne, marconi rosso
middle: serrano, early jalapeno, bolivian rainbow
bottom: early jalapeno, empty cell, serrano

Tray A clones:
DSCN3714a.jpg

Back row: Bishop's Crown, Bishop's Crown, Bolivian Rainbow
Middle row: Red Caribbean, Red Caribbean, Bolivian Rainbow
Front row: Congo Trinidad, Chocolate Habanero, Poblano

Tray B clones:
DSCN3712a.jpg

Back row: Fatali, Fatali, Early Jalapeno
Middle row: Tepin, empty, Early Jalapeno
Front row: Tepin, Black Pearl, Aji Segment

Some look kind of yellowy, but not bad for being cut off and
shoved into some dirt! The new growth is getting easier to
see with the naked eye. I'm hoping a little TLC on the grow table,
some fertilizer and a bit of dilute epsom salts will 'perk' (nod
to geeme) them up a little bit.

The baccatums:
DSCN3715a.jpg

All are inca red drops and omni colors, except for front right,
a serrano (partner to the cut off stem) and front center,
a chiltepin (the scrawny, yellow, deformed one that I labeled as
a 'goner'; a while back. It's the one sticking out on the right):
DSCN3514a.jpg
Chiltepin - CPI - soil. One looking kinda puny. It's a goner!
Never give up on a plant! I don't know if it had anything to do
with it, but I sprayed it with epsom and in two days it looked
like a new plant. The spray did not have such a dramatic
effect on the other test plants :think:

Not much going on today; gave the plants a little dilute epsom spray
and checked real close for bugs, deformities, new chews (none) with
my Hastings 7x Triplet. Amazing what you can find when everything
is 7 times bigger! Here's the growth tip of one of the Cayenne starts
(in general they are one of the fast, robust varieties even among the
annuums, on my tabletop) I actually was looking at it with pinching the
tip in my mind, which I changed :scared: :
DSCN3726a.jpg

The two NuMex Twiight seedlings from seed sent
by Siliman for a test (he got 4/5, I got 2/3) - have
to say CPI seed is pretty good :cool:
DSCN3721a.jpg

This really poorly lit serrano plant looks much
better in real life- I really missed it on this one!
The branches are getting real pepper like growth
tips, now:
DSCN3717a.jpg

The little Yellow Aji is really getting it on; I'll definitely try to
plant this one out this summer!:
DSCN3720a.jpg

The Long Red Cayenne is looking really healthy. It will
be hard when potting up time comes :cry: the partner seedling
looks really good, too:
DSCN3716a.jpg

The branching process is starting to happen in most of the starts, more rapidly in
some than others. This Chiltepin is a good example:
DSCN3723a.jpg

The Black Pearl is another:
DSCN3724a.jpg

My challenge will be to keep these critters alive for another
month to six weeks until potting up to gallon-size nursery
pots, and putting them out in the greenhouse. They went
into the dirt on 1/22, so that makes them about 34 days at
this point, 27 more by the end of Spring Break. So they
would be going into gallons at almost nine weeks. I have no
idea how that stacks up; any comments?

Looks great. My only comment is that I am having similar fear, although I'm a bit behind where you are growth wise. More room... more light... will they make it to planting time?

All I can say is my Cayenne's are as big as some of my overwinters....but I think the tepin and your chinenses should stay under control. Just keep cutting and cloning until plant out!

Your little donors are some of your best looking plants! Amazing stuff!

I'm anxiously waiting for your next mad scientist experiment...
What's it gonna be???

Shane

Looks great. My only comment is that I am having similar fear, although I'm a bit behind where you are growth wise. More room... more light... will they make it to planting time?

I hear ya, Andy. I am just interested in seeing which of the varieties I've
started will handle the kind of abuse I dish out in my garage! The survivors
will be tough monkeys! I posted a question about lighting in the growing
forum.

All I can say is my Cayenne's are as big as some of my overwinters....but I think the tepin and your chinenses should stay under control. Just keep cutting and cloning until plant out!
Those Cayennes seem to be a very robust variety, indeed. I'm going to try to make it
without having to pinch any of the annuums, and the rest look like they
are staying more bushy and squat. If I get any more clones going they will
revolt and take over my garden!
Your little donors are some of your best looking plants! Amazing stuff!
Thanks, Shane. I'd like them to green up a little. I'm thinking of changing lighting
tubes, depending on what people say in my lighting question thread.
I'm anxiously waiting for your next mad scientist experiment...
What's it gonna be???
If I can get them through the next month, I'll call that pretty good! But you never know
what opportunity will present itself :crazy: I'm hoping to zero in on a few other folks' mad sci
experiments!
Shane

Wow that great results from the cloning and topping plants. I am now considering getting a magnifying lens to better inspect my plants. What are feeding your plants sorry if you had mentioned it before. Your plants look great

Wow that great results from the cloning and topping plants. I am now considering getting a magnifying lens to better inspect my plants. What are feeding your plants sorry if you had mentioned it before. Your plants look great

Hey, Socal, thanks for stopping by! The cut off stems have been very successful;
They really push out the new growth, cuz they already have a little root system, I
guess. The clones - we'll see. I have them under the lights, and am cutting off
wilty leaves. Some seem to be taking pretty well, and others not so good. I'll post
some pics in the next day or two.

I'm feeding with just with Alaska fish fertilizer, very dilute, every other watering, and watering
every 3 or 4 days. I'll feel good when I have plants that look like yours!

Serrano stem - really looking healthy. Have to
say a successful topping!:
DSCN3732a.jpg

Cayenne Stem - very robust:
DSCN3730a.jpg

The tall plant has flower buds:
DSCN3727a.jpg

This is the second cayenne to bud, 35 days from sowing. Even among the annuums this
variety, Long Red Cayenne, is on a fast track.

I found some 6500K, 2350 lumen, cri84 fl tubes in the garage I had bought to replace shop
light tubes. I decided to swap out the 5000K, 2250 lumen, cri90 tubes with the higher
temperature tubes. Will be interesting to see how the plants respond to the change.

Paul,

You'll be pleasently surprised by your results with the cooler bulbs. My T8's have 6500k and my Metal Halides are screwed in with 7200k.

Greg

Paul,

You'll be pleasently surprised by your results with the cooler bulbs. My T8's have 6500k and my Metal Halides are screwed in with 7200k.

Greg
Thanks for the feedback, Greg - I wouldn't have thought it made
a huge difference until I started reading some stuff on the forum. Will be
fun to compare before and after pics.

Your plants are so awesome, I really enjoyed checking out your grow
log this weekend!

Thanks Paul I appreciate the kind words but I am only the by product of this forum, but I hope to get like few of these other growers that have it down to perfection. Thanks again I can not wait to see the progression of those clones in the next month hopingfully it works out.

Thanks Paul I appreciate the kind words but I am only the by product of this forum, but I hope to get like few of these other growers that have it down to perfection. Thanks again I can not wait to see the progression of those clones in the next month hopingfully it works out.

You are too modest, my friend, but I agree there are lots of
good ideas and models floating around the forum! Easy to feel
humble when I see some of the great creativity and initiative
displayed on THP.

If these clones survive for another month, that will be a bonus!
I said earlier that putting them under the lights would really test
them, and it did. Today I trimmed all the wilted and yellowed
leaves from the clones, being pretty ruthless:
DSCN3733a.jpg

What's left is decent growth, and it's easier to see the new growth.
Original clones:
DSCN3740a.jpg

top: serrano, cayenne, marconi rosso
middle: serrano (not looking too good), early jalapeno, bolivian rainbow
bottom: early jalapeno, empty cell, serrano

Clone tray A - these all look pretty good, if a little yellow. I hope
being under the 6500K lamps will boost their little energy
levels a little:
DSCN3739a.jpg

Back row: Bishop's Crown, Bishop's Crown, Bolivian Rainbow
Middle row: Red Caribbean, Red Caribbean, Bolivian Rainbow
Front row: Congo Trinidad, Chocolate Habanero, Poblano

Clone tray B - not too bad, again a few light green ones;
notice the new growth coming from the yellow aji segment
in the lower right corner:
DSCN3741a.jpg

Back row: Fatali, Fatali, Early Jalapeno
Middle row: Tepin, empty, Early Jalapeno
Front row: Tepin, Black Pearl, Aji Segment

The baccatum clones are not on the grow table, just under
my cfl desk lamp ; ) - they are beginning to come around. The
chiltepin in the front center was accidently beheaded : ( - I'll
just let the branches grow out:
DSCN3751a.jpg

One of the Chiltepins was getting way too tall, and starting to branch out:
DSCN3748a.jpg

So I cut it off above the last node that
had a recognizable leaf bud coming
out...
DSCN3749a.jpg

And cloned the tip - it looks good right after cutting, but will be a little
wilted tomorrow, I think:
DSCN3750a.jpg

This is the yellow aji stem - I can't
help taking pics of this all the time:
DSCN3747a.jpg

Man I am digging that aji yellow! Looks like you're going to have two main stems. I am so tempted to try this. Thanks for taking the time to update your glog Paul.

Man I am digging that aji yellow! Looks like you're going to have two main stems. I am so tempted to try this. Thanks for taking the time to update your glog Paul.

Hey, Patrick - glad you cruised by! You know, all of the stems
that were cut back look like they are going to grow out just great, with
two main stems just as you say. One of the Serrano branches is
becoming a leader due to the offset nodes, unlike the nice balance
of the other two. If they prove to grow out well this Spring and Summer,
I may consider it as a technique to get some nice sturdy, bushy plants
in future seasons. I'm also interested to see how the Chiltepin turns out
being a bushy variety as it is.

Thanks again, Patrick, for checking in!

Here are two views of the Orange Rocoto from Beth at
Peppermania's business card seeds - nice, sturdy stem,
overall a good start. I hope this one makes it:
DSCN3745a.jpg

View from above:
DSCN3743a.jpg

Man you are fearless! you really went after them with the pruning. Good on ya! Your right it is much easier to see the new growth and im guessing should help that new growth really take off! Im liking that Rocoto. Look at those hairy leaves!

Man you are fearless! you really went after them with the pruning. Good on ya! Your right it is much easier to see the new growth and im guessing should help that new growth really take off! Im liking that Rocoto. Look at those hairy leaves!

Hey, Beehunter! Thanks for visiting. It's easy to be fearless with defenseless plants!
I think removing the wilting leaves will free up energy for the new growth; I think the
old leaves and cotys have donated as much as they can to the clones. I haven't
checked on them yet today, so we'll see how they look. The rocoto is a cool little
plant. I was bummed when the second seed germinated right next to the first one,
and I had to lose it. Since I only have one rocoto start, I guess all my eggs are in
one basket for that variety! Next year, only one seed per cell!

Have a good day, 'hunter!

Decided to separate the two chocolate habaneros (late germinators) and
the cut off cayenne stem and its partner now rather than later when both
would be much bigger. In both cases, I loosened the soil around the roots
of the plant I wanted to move, and then pulled it out as gently as possible,
kind of teasing it out with a little piece of stiff wire. Then into some Rootone,
and then into a pot of soil. Here's the habanero I left in the pot:
DSCN3758a.jpg

Here's the transplanted hab:
DSCN3757a.jpg

The transplanted Cayenne - it leans over cuz it
was growing leaning over sideways in the pot:
DSCN3756a.jpg

The cut off Cayenne stem:
DSCN3754a.jpg

The cut off Serrano stem:
DSCN3753a.jpg

Cut off Yellow Aji stem:
DSCN3755a.jpg

PaulG, your pepper numbers are increasing exponentially and ad infinatum. Be careful, you might unbalance the universe!

You've got some real beauties, and some are going to be even mo beauty and bushy with those cuttings done. Your Orange Rocoto really shines--I jinxxed my one seed by posting its sprout action earlier, now it refuses to emerge from the dirt. Maybe I'll print a pic of yours and put it next to its cell.

Keep up the good grow.... :cool:

PaulG, your pepper numbers are increasing exponentially and ad infinatum. Be careful, you might unbalance the universe!

You've got some real beauties, and some are going to be even mo beauty and bushy with those cuttings done. Your Orange Rocoto really shines--I jinxxed my one seed by posting its sprout action earlier, now it refuses to emerge from the dirt. Maybe I'll print a pic of yours and put it next to its cell.

Keep up the good grow.... :cool:

I notice you just increased your own population, Ken! Any harm I
might cause will be counter balanced by you :lol:

Appreciate your kind words, but I judge my plants by your standard!
If the clones pull through I don't know what I'll do with them :crazy: A
project with no purpose. Sounds like a government contract! Let's pull
for the Rocoto to make it thru adulthood so we can have some more seeds!
Everything I've heard makes it sound like a winner!

I think the picture idea has some merit.

Thought I'd post the 24-hours-later pics of yesterdays
transplants and clone. The transplants had a bit of a
Rootone dusted root, the clone is a cutting dipped in
Rootone. First the smaller Chocolate Habenero transplant:
DSCN3759a.jpg

The Chiltepin tip - not too bad, bottom leaves a tad droopy:
DSCN3761a.jpg

The Cayenne stem is showing some kind of new growth at the base of the new branches:
DSCN3762a.jpg

The Cayenne transplant that was curved over because it had been growing at an angle has
straightened itself up overnight:
DSCN3760a.jpg

The top of the Cayenne plant:
DSCN3760aa.jpg

Back