• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Paul, I've been so busy with work, church and now peppers that I'm just now getting caught up on some Glogs including yours. Man you are part creative genius and part mad scientist and I love the way the two come together and compliment the other lol.Dr Jeckyl and Mr Paul..lol. Seriously good job one of these days I'll stop by and say howdy!!

Your wish is my command sir. :D

I just went in & snapped a couple of the rescued 'twigs' Paul, i had cut every single leaf from all of them as per the tip on my grown log from a fellow member, he said it would concentrate all the plants energy in to root growth & he was right.

They have all since then started sprouting new leaves, so they must be OK? they lived.
If i zoom in a bit you can see one has started to produce flower buds as well.

But does this mean i will end up with a Bonsai Bhut? or will it grow full size Paul?

If this will work & they grow full size it sure would be an easier way of growing these super hots, germination takes so long.

Mezo.

They should continue to grow just as the host plant, becoming full
sized pepper bushes. You can shape it any way you want by
pruning. You could maybe 'bonsai' them by keeping them small
and repotting, root pruning and branch pruning/shaping every year.
A true bonsai is planted in a tray, so i don't know if this would
officially be a bonsai or not, maybe?

Looking man,
Hey, Josh! Thanks for browsing!

Paul, I've been so busy with work, church and now peppers that I'm just now getting caught up on some Glogs including yours. Man you are part creative genius and part mad scientist and I love the way the two come together and compliment the other lol.Dr Jeckyl and Mr Paul..lol. Seriously good job one of these days I'll stop by and say howdy!!

Hey Robin, good to hear from you. You have been busy!
Your pepper project alone is a full time job! I'm not sure
about the creative part, but you are probably right on with
the mad part ; ) Yeah, let's get together :cheers:

No pics for a couple days...pausing for dramatic effect?!?!?!

Looking forward to the next update!
Shane

I wish I were that clever! Actually we were out of town for the weekend.
I need to get out to the garage and check on the plants. Will post a few
pics later today.

Thanks for the visit, Shane. I need to spend three or four hours catching
up on grow logs, myself, including yours! Maybe I can do that tonight.
They are turning over so fast, it is hard to stay abreast of what's going on!

Keep the faith, bro!

After being gone for the weekend, came home to some fried clones.
They were in the grow tent at 78F without any breaks for 18 hours a day,
and the clones took some heat, literally. There are several that won't
make it or are already toast, but there are some that look good, too. I
raised the light a couple of notches and loosened up the soil, and cut
off the wilted leaves. Again. If I hadn't overheated the clones, the suc-
cess rate would be much higher. On the other hand, every successful
clone is one more mouth to feed!

Original clones. Struggling valiantly despite my efforts to bake them, mostly annuums:
DSCN3801a.jpg

top: serrano, cayenne, marconi rosso
middle: serrano, early jalapeno, bolivian rainbow
bottom: early jalapeno, empty cell, serrano

Clone tray A. Most looking okay; Bolivian Rainbows really took a hit, might not make it:
DSCN3803a.jpg

Back row: Bishop's Crown, Bishop's Crown, Bolivian Rainbow
Middle row: Red Caribbean, Red Caribbean, Bolivian Rainbow
Front row: Congo Trinidad, Chocolate Habanero, Poblano

Clone tray B. The Yellow Aji leaf has grown quite a bit, and the black pearl transplant is almost
ready to pot up to a 3 or 4 incher:
DSCN3804a.jpg

Back row: Fatali, Fatali, Early Jalapeno
Middle row: Tepin, empty, Early Jalapeno
Front row: Tepin, Black Pearl, Aji Segment

The baccatums are pretty sick looking, but might pull out; the Chiltepin stem is growing out well, and the NuMex Twilights are doing great:
DSCN3800a.jpg

The Chiltepin and Chocolate Habanero transplants' big leaves wilted, but the
leaves left look pretty good. Chiltepin:
DSCN3799a.jpg

Chocolate Habanero:
DSCN3798a.jpg

Hey Paul,

You've got some survivers there. If the root systems small try to mist the leaves that hydrates the seedlings pretty fast. I'd remove the plants away from the light or heat. Keep them in a cooler area to recoup or give them minimal light to force them to struggle for more. They should be fine. I usually branch clone late in the year for some winter starts. This year I consintrated on Overwintering some plants. Some years I've Wintered-over some plants. That becomes tricky when bringing an entire plant indoors.........leaves, peppers and all. It's a playground for pests.....unless treated and routinely inspected.
My clones have a success rate of about 75% in rockwool. It would be higher with "hydro" methods but I just can't fathom up the extra loot for a small crop of plants.
Good luck with the rest of your indoor "garden".........Springs just around the bend

Greg

As long as the leaves aren't crispy they should pull out of it! I had one little fatalii that fried all its leaves crispy. I move the stump indoors and it if now putting out new growth at the nodes...Unless the stem is dry and brown there is always hope brother!!!

Keep us posted!
Shane

they dont look too bad Paul! I think they will pull threw! I gots the faith!

Thanks, 'hunter - the good vibes will be helpful,I'm sure! Once the
crispy leaves are removed, what's left doesn't really look horrible : )

As long as the leaves aren't crispy they should pull out of it! I had one little fatalii that fried all its leaves crispy. I move the stump indoors and it if now putting out new growth at the nodes...Unless the stem is dry and brown there is always hope brother!!!

Keep us posted!
Shane

Hey Shane, thanks for browsing. The little fatali clones do seem pretty
resilient. The color on mine isn't great, but the moisture content
and leaf structure seem okay. I'm really pulling for them and the
other chinense clones to get to a potting up stage. Some of the
annuums I'm not so concerned about. The Yellow Aji and Chiltepin
also seem to respond well to the cloning.

[quote name='PIC 1' timestamp='1331022586' post='581782']
Hey Paul,

You've got some survivers there. If the root systems small try to mist the leaves that hydrates the seedlings pretty fast. I'd remove the plants away from the light or heat. Keep them in a cooler area to recoup or give them minimal light to force them to struggle for more. They should be fine. I usually branch clone late in the year for some winter starts. This year I consintrated on Overwintering some plants. Some years I've Wintered-over some plants. That becomes tricky when bringing an entire plant indoors.........leaves, peppers and all. It
s a playground for pests.....unless treated and routinely inspected.
My clones have a success rate of about 75% in rockwool. It would be higher with "hydro" methods but I just can't fathom up the extra loot for a small crop of plants.
Good luck with the rest of your indoor "garden".........Springs just around the bend

Greg
[/quote]

Thanks, Greg - I'll be sure to keep them misted. At this point, I don't know what
the total outcome will be. Some may live but not be very robust plants. I think
my light set-up would have been okay if I were there to monitor for the weekend.
The 18 hour uninterrupted stretches with no air circ were the main culprits, I think.
Now that I've raised the lights, the temps are around 73-74, and I've left some air
space in the 'clone tent'; for some passive circulation. Right now I'm thinking that
18-19 of the 23 look like they have a good chance of survival. I'm kind of in the same
boat as you, in a way, but the clones at this point are just an experiment, and the effort, if
not expense, in bringing them to adulthood may not really be 'cost effective' in terms,
and it is really a small amount of plants. I am looking forward to some cloning and grafting
experiments if I get to a point of overwintering some plants.

Thanks for visiting, Greg - yes, Spring is coming! Has your area been affected by the
tornado epedemic?

A few more pics updates. Elongation and branching seem
to be the watchwords, at the moment.

Cayenne:
DSCN3791a.jpg

Serrano:
DSCN3790a.jpg

Early Jalapeno:
DSCN3792a.jpg

Yellow Aji:
DSCN3794a.jpg

Cayenne:
DSCN3795a.jpg

Wild Texas Tepin - found a couple more chew marks on this one, so
sprayed it with a little Neem since it's still so young:
DSCN3793a.jpg

Ready for transplant, two Hungarian Hot Wax, a Chiltepin, and the little
Red Habanero:
DSCN3797a.jpg

Paul,

Blue skies and sunshine at the moment.........with wind galore
About 15 miles west of Chicago (Plainfield) is considered tornado alley...We've been lucky to miss some of the bad storms. In 1967 a Tornado ripped through Oak Lawn which is 2 miles from me. It leveled part of a high school, demolished a roller rink, flattened an entire trailer park. I was young but I can remember the sky turning from green to black... 2 months earlier Chicago had the largest record snow fall in one day to this date...
I'm ready for a record number of clear skies in a summer season.

You can transplant your annuums slightly deeper, and bottom watering helps to keep the top layer of soil dry. My Waxes, Banana's, and Jalp's are taking longer to emerge. So far in three flats planted only a couple of "Cubanelles" have sprouted.....7 days running. I know that once I opened my big mouth when I go home they'll be a few more.....ha......I hope

Keep the pictures flowing.....looking good

Greg

Paul. This grow log has taught me many things. I have a request. Once you are done with this season I WOULD LOVE to see a thread on "Cloning Peppers", along the vein of the "Overwintering" thread Pepper Guru did. This is amazing stuff and you have already collected quite a bit of data. Please consider making a "Cloning 101" thread at some point.

Thanks for the GLOG. Your constant curiosity and willingness to experiment have been a real inspiration.

As long as the leaves aren't crispy they should pull out of it! I had one little fatalii that fried all its leaves crispy. I move moved the stump indoors and it if is now putting out new growth at the nodes...Unless the stem is dry and brown there is always hope brother!!! Keep us posted! Shane

Just realized I should not make comments at 4am...

Those donors look awesome! Looks like you may have to stake them for a bit to help support all that crazy new growth! Gotta get you in on the grafting experiments!

Shane

Here is a pic of the Chiltepin I 'pinched' last week:
DSCN3805a.jpg

Paul, Blue skies and sunshine at the moment.........with wind galore About 15 miles west of Chicago (Plainfield) is considered tornado alley...We've been lucky to miss some of the bad storms. In 1967 a Tornado ripped through Oak Lawn which is 2 miles from me. It leveled part of a high school, demolished a roller rink, flattened an entire trailer park. I was young but I can remember the sky turning from green to black... 2 months earlier Chicago had the largest record snow fall in one day to this date... I'm ready for a record number of clear skies in a summer season.
Glad you have avoided the worst, Greg! I usually bottom water for
regular waterings, and have top watered with fish fertilizer twice including
today. I try to keep the top layer cultivated as well so the moisture wicks up.

You can transplant your annuums slightly deeper, and bottom watering helps to keep the top layer of soil dry. My Waxes, Banana's, and Jalp's are taking longer to emerge. So far in three flats planted only a couple of "Cubanelles" have sprouted.....7 days running. I know that once I opened my big mouth when I go home they'll be a few more.....ha......I hope Keep the pictures flowing.....looking good Greg
When I transplant some of the streaker annuums I may bury the stem
up to the second leaf node; that will still give a decent sized plant with
a sturdy support system, and lots of places for new root hairs to emerge!

You're right about the seeds, they start slow and then explode! I hope
you find dozens, bro!

Paul. This grow log has taught me many things. I have a request. Once you are done with this season I WOULD LOVE to see a thread on "Cloning Peppers", along the vein of the "Overwintering" thread Pepper Guru did. This is amazing stuff and you have already collected quite a bit of data. Please consider making a "Cloning 101" thread at some point.

Thanks for the GLOG. Your constant curiosity and willingness to experiment have been a real inspiration.

Hey, Seth, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad there are other
folks interested in this stuff, too! Cloning 101 is a great idea; there are a
number of folks who could contribute in a big way to a thread like that.
I'd be glad to start it if I don't have a senior moment ; ) Have enjoyed
your grow this season as well - will drop by your grow log soon.

Just realized I should not make comments at 4am...
I thought you were just slipping into the relative security of street slang!
The worst part is I didn't even notice : )

Those donors look awesome! Looks like you may have to stake them for a bit to help support all that crazy new growth! Gotta get you in on the grafting experiments!
I definitely am interested in that. If I get some over winters going,
that will be my next thing! Thanks for stopping by, Shane!

Shane

Hey, Seth, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad there are other
folks interested in this stuff, too! Cloning 101 is a great idea; there are a
number of folks who could contribute in a big way to a thread like that.
I'd be glad to start it if I don't have a senior moment ; ) Have enjoyed
your grow this season as well - will drop by your grow log soon.

I appreciate it Paul. Gonna have a bunch to share on the next entry. My babies are getting big and looking happy. SO MANY DEVELOPMENTS, SO LITTLE TIME! The toddler keeps me busy and his 3rd birthday is this weekend. That means the in-laws are coming. So it's time to clean the house and pretend like we actually live like this all the time. Ah, the illusion of having it together... :rofl:

Your yellow aji plant looks so cool Paul! The main stalk with the cotyledons looks like arms trying to hold up the bulky new growth. That chiltepin is coming along great too, real vigorous.

We must have completely different tepin's...I think mine was labeled tepin #2??? The ones I have are much more compact than yours. Will be interesting what each of our pods look like! You may also be interested in a few of these Wild Brazils I am growing, I will gladly shoot you some over once I get pods (or should I say if) They are also called Cumari and the pods are similar in size and shape to pequins or tepins, but they are a chinense.

Glad you're back!
I was worried about you...being all old and such!
You should warn us before your next hiatus!
Shane

That comment on MG's page was a poke back at Brandon's comment...
Matt, I'm helpin you catch up as we speak! That's just the kinda guy I am :lol:
You know.. I could start a bunch of cloning experiments and start asking a buncha questions and watch my page count go into overdrive but NOPE. I'm gonna keep it clean! lol.
Those two have some kind of page count contest going on...I really enjoy the cloning, grafting and soil content on your, my and jss's pages...little different than the standard "I planted some seeds and now they're growing!" glogs (which I also enjoy). I've learned a ton by surfing through everyone's trials and tribulations, but definitely some more than others. You are absolutely in the some and not the other category my friend!

Shane

That comment on MG's page was a poke back at Brandon's comment...

Those two have some kind of page count contest going on...I really enjoy the cloning, grafting and soil content on your, my and jss's pages...little different than the standard "I planted some seeds and now they're growing!" glogs (which I also enjoy). I've learned a ton by surfing through everyone's trials and tribulations, but definitely some more than others. You are absolutely in the some and not the other category my friend!

Shane

That joke is getting way too much attention!! lol. For the record. I view the cloning, grafting, and soil experiement glogs more than the standerd ones and they deserve all the attention they get! It's something new and interesting people can and have learned LOADS of info from. Just like the Overwintering 101 deal.. Id be doing all the above I had more time. I got all your guy's tips and info stored in my mental memory bank for when I want to try my luck at it lol. Without the experimental glogs.. I wouldn't have figured out my soil problem and inturn.. wouldn't have a glog at all lol. So thanks for all the great info. Matt and I have been.. I don't even know what to call it.. pretend glog battling? since day one. how it got started, I really dont know lol. At the end of the day though it is a joke for us.. well.. Matt might be serious I don't know.. :lol:

Your clones are looking great Paul. Those fried one's don't look too bad and will snap back now that your there to care for them. I've seen worse trust me. Your chiltepin looks freaking great as well.. Good to have ya back in action my friend.

Can't wait to see your stuff out in the yard this spring.

Brandon

Back