• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Your weather seems not far off from mine, temperature wise. I got a greenhouse quite similar to yours.

Are you running heater most of the time to keep the temps alright for the plants? I would do fine if my temps were around yours at the lowest(54F)?

I kinda ruled out the idea of planting anything there yet since quite cold. You sure got me bit exited and feeling like planting out hehe

I only run the heater when the temps are low. The heater has a little
thermostat controlled switch. The lows are actually around mid to
upper 40's. I figure 15F above freezing will be safe, if not conducive
to rapid growth. Warm days will help offset the cool nights a bit in
my view of a perfect world!

Thanks for stopping by, Slash! Good luck making the decision to move
out or not. You can wait and see what happens to my peppers, if you want : )

Thats a Gangsta looking glasshouse Paul!! Nice one ... and nice work pulpiteer on posting some of my fellow Kiwi Countryman above (Flight of the Conchords) ... brilliant

Hey, Tripp, thanks for checking out the glog!

It's not too bad for a hobby kit; and it
has provided lots of hours of enjoyment!
Britt is working on my music education!
I've sort of gotten out of the loop lately.
Like for the last 15 years or so!

Take care, buddy!

Paul I would sleep in the greenhouse And leave the peppers in the perfect environment. This hobby has warped my perception though. And when I lose my job for following the serial updating of you and Shane we will be keeping each other warm in your greenhouse.

Haha better than the doghouse
icon_lol.gif
!

When the revolution comes, you are free to bunk here in the greenhouse!
I'm sure our collective body heat would spur the pepper plants to some mad growth!

Sorry to jeopardize your job, but thanks for checking in, Pr0d!

Here are the Yellow Aji seed germination test updates.

Dirt germinated seeds. Seven germinated out of nine. One died from
helmet head. Doesn't look like the other two are going to pop. The older
seedlings are starting to put out some true leaves:
DSCN4066a.jpg

Cup germinated seeds. Eight out of Eight. The bottom left seedling was
trapped in a seed husk for a couple of days, and I had to snip it twice.
The cotys are starting to unfurl now:
DSCN4067a.jpg

So, in summary, the Aji seeds produced 15 16 out of 20 19 (edit: I forgot
about the non-floater.) One died of helmet head, one got dried out after
germinating (so actually I guess it counts) and a couple just haven't germed
in the dirt, yet. That makes the effective germ rate 84%, with 15/19 or 79%
becoming seedlings.

Paul I would sleep in the greenhouse And leave the peppers in the perfect environment. This hobby has warped my perception though. And when I lose my job for following the serial updating of you and Shane we will be keeping each other warm in your greenhouse.
I'm not a serial updater...I have multiple personalities all updating, and so do I.

and me to.

Thats a Gangsta looking glasshouse Paul!! Nice one ... and nice work pulpiteer on posting some of my fellow Kiwi Countryman above (Flight of the Conchords) ... brilliant

Not to hijack the thread, but...
FOC are brilliant. My son has a stuffed giraffe that's green and looks sort of dragon like, so we named him Albi.

Not to hijack the thread, but...
FOC are brilliant. My son has a stuffed giraffe that's green and looks sort of dragon like, so we named him Albi.

That's okay - I feel like I know something now that I did not before!
If you had asked me who the Conchords were, I would have said
an airplane!

thats a bad ass looking greenhouse u got there paul, your plants are awesome as always, as for me im fixing my problem for my plants

Lookin good Paul! Your plants are freaking huge compared to the last time I saw them!
How are they likin the greenhouse? Are you keeping them out at night?
Your GH temps are exactly like mine in rainy conditions, when the sun breaks it can shoot up 30+ the outside temp.
We hit 31degrees last night but frost cloth kept em warm.
That shade cloth works wonders for the hardening off process.
I have one more day and I'll be at full exposure status with the OW's :D

Hope all is well with you my friend. Good to finally get around to checkin out your glog :)
Brandon

Damn Paul.. you have nice amount of plants! :) Greenhouse would be so nice.. maybe one day i get one too! :)

Thanks, Mankeli! I'm trying to keep a reasonable grow list, mostly annuums,
with a few baccatums and chinense just to get my first experience with hotter
varieties. Over the next two or three seasons, I'm trying to find a handful of
varieties that do well here in our climate.

You know there are some great DIY greenhouses and hoop houses on the forum.
They might give you some good ideas! Glad you took a look; good luck with your
grow season!

thats a bad ass looking greenhouse u got there paul, your plants are awesome as always, as for me im fixing my problem for my plants

I'm glad you are getting a handle on things. I guess if worse came to
worse, you could do wht someone suggested - pinch off the sour growth
and see if the lower nodes push out healthier looking veg.

Thanks for looking, and for the kind words, PP83!

I love that greenhouse. It's a perfect size. Might have to start sweet talking my wife a bit... :whistle:

It was the least expensive greenhouse kit I could find, if that helps with the sweet talkin' :D
It takes a little tinkering and management, but if your okay with tools, it's no sweat.
Many years ago i built an 8x10 with 2x4 framing and patioflex. It was inexpensive
and lasted years.

Thanks for looking, good luck going into Spring!

Lookin good Paul! Your plants are freaking huge compared to the last time I saw them! How are they likin the greenhouse? Are you keeping them out at night? Your GH temps are exactly like mine in rainy conditions, when the sun breaks it can shoot up 30+ the outside temp. We hit 31degrees last night but frost cloth kept em warm. That shade cloth works wonders for the hardening off process. I have one more day and I'll be at full exposure status with the OW's :D Hope all is well with you my friend. Good to finally get around to checkin out your glog :) Brandon

Hey, Brandon, thanks for taking a look. I know you've been a busy man
getting ready for the Pacific Northwest Spring!
Congrats on finishing the hardening off marathon with your OW plants!
Bet that feels good - one less chore every day!

I am leaving the plants out 24/7. So far I'm very pleased. Even if it's
44 outside and 50 in the ghouse, it's a warm 50, if that makes sense.
No wind or rain getting in their faces, and very tranquil. When weather
warms up a bit, I'll start giving them a little outside direct sun. It's
supposed to be decent (around 60 and mostly sunny) here this weekend,
so maybe then. How's the forecast looking for you, bro?

Hey, green house looks nice. My plants should be ready to harden off soon to, but ihave to wait just a bit longer due to nute burn :bangshead: I thought that if I went by the exact on the bottle it would be fine, but I think it was still to much for my plants. Noob error, but learned from it. But your plants look nice and heathly. Great job and good luck on the move to the greenhouse.

Moving into the greenhouse has been good. Feels like I'm actually making
some progress and not just spinning wheels. I think Shane is right, the lower
temps do not seem to be affecting the annuum and baccatum budding so far.
That could change, I suppose, but for now, cool :cool: It's been a full two nights
and days in the greenhouse; the weather hasn't been that great, but we seem
to be holding the course. It is nice to be able to actually see what color the
plants are now that they are out from under the lights!!

The pots are not giving up near as much water as when they were under the lights. I have
not added water to any of the plants since going into the greenhouse. I cultivated the soil
a little today in the gallon pots so it might escape a bit faster. I need sun breaks! Not today
I'm afraid :mope:

I thought this Inca Red Drop flower would drop right off, but it has been hanging in there:
DSCN4069a.jpg

The Wild Texas Tepin has gone into budding mode in the last few days, fingers crossed:
DSCN4071a.jpg

The Bolivian Rainbow is also budding more. I have been pinching buds all along, but now that
they are out in the greenhouse, I'm going to let the plants do their thing, for better, or even better :D :
DSCN4073a.jpg

Hey, green house looks nice. My plants should be ready to harden off soon to, but ihave to wait just a bit longer due to nute burn :bangshead: I thought that if I went by the exact on the bottle it would be fine, but I think it was still to much for my plants. Noob error, but learned from it. But your plants look nice and heathly. Great job and good luck on the move to the greenhouse.

Thanks for checking out my glog, Aaron, always good to have another
NWPacker hanging about (is Big C still the boss?) :lol:

I think you are right on the fertilizer thing. In the past, i never fertilized
anything until it was outside. Trying to grow peppers out of their true
climate zone necessitates a little different approach, maybe. I'm glad I checked
out this forum before launching blindly like I usually do, it helped me avoid the
fertburn issue. (However I still haven't checked pH : ) ) I've been using 1/4 strength
fish and cal mag mixed together for watering. Seems to be working okay.

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck carrying on in WA weather.
See ya soon, bro!

There is a God! We actually got a couple of sun breaks
this afternoon to boost the greenhouse temp up to 66F.

Here's updated temperature data.

.........outside: greenhouse​
3/27 - 45/55 : 47/67​
3/28 - 45/52 : 44/72​
3/29 - 45/54 : 46/57​
3/30 - 39/52 : 47/58​
3/31 - 39/54 : 45/80​
4/1 - 38/49 : 45/69​
4/2 - 38/62 : 45/82​
4/3 - 36/50 : 45/67​
4/4 - 36/52 : 45/66​

Gee, I hope that 55 degree night doesn't toast your plants :D

here's mine :)

Wednesday April 4
Tonight A few clouds. Slight chance of a rain shower. Low near 70F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday April 5
30.png

Day Sunshine and clouds mixed. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 82F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph.

29.png

Night A few clouds. Slight chance of a rain shower. Low near 70F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.

Friday April 6
30.png

Intervals of clouds and sunshine. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 83F. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph.

Saturday April 7
30.png

Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 70s.

Sunday April 8
30.png

Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 60s.

Monday April 9

34.png

A few clouds. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 60s.

Tuesday April 10

32.png

Mainly sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s.

Wednesday April 11
34.png

Mostly sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 70s.

Thursday April 12
34.png

Plenty of sun. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 70s.

Friday April 13
34.png

Plenty of sun. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s.

Nobody likes a showoff Pinoy! There's a slim chance I could end up in Guam soon...if so you all better look out! Averages are 80-90 highs and 70-80 lows year round!

My little tepins have been pushing out buds for weeks, and still haven't opened up any flowers...any day now. None are dropping, just taking their time. The stems are a trip they are so long and slender. They're some of my best performers so far. Can't wait for a POD to form! Won't be long and we'll both be tired of picking the little boogers!

Just as a side note Paul...don't know how much is due to the cold or the wet or both, but the plants are a little less attractive than they were before putting them out in the sub optimal environment. All still moving and producing though. I am finding new buds daily, so yours should be fine. Also, the ones that have been out the longest are starting to adapt and grow again, so don't fret if they struggle a bit at first. Like the conversation between you and Trippa...I am just going to accept their ugly blemishes and let them do what they do! The adversity that we put them through will only make the harvests that much sweeter when they come...and possibly a whole lot HOTTER! :flamethrower: :fire: :fireball: :fire:

Nobody likes a showoff Pinoy! There's a slim chance I could end up in Guam soon...if so you all better look out! Averages are 80-90 highs and 70-80 lows year round!

My little tepins have been pushing out buds for weeks, and still haven't opened up any flowers...any day now. None are dropping, just taking their time. The stems are a trip they are so long and slender. They're some of my best performers so far. Can't wait for a POD to form! Won't be long and we'll both be tired of picking the little boogers!

Just as a side note Paul...don't know how much is due to the cold or the wet or both, but the plants are a little less attractive than they were before putting them out in the sub optimal environment. All still moving and producing though. I am finding new buds daily, so yours should be fine. Also, the ones that have been out the longest are starting to adapt and grow again, so don't fret if they struggle a bit at first. Like the conversation between you and Trippa...I am just going to accept their ugly blemishes and let them do what they do! The adversity that we put them through will only make the harvests that much sweeter when they come...and possibly a whole lot HOTTER! :flamethrower: :fire: :fireball: :fire:

yea guam is a really hot country, they're like Philippines there's only one weather and its summer lol...i miss philippines because of the weather, everything grows crazy in there, the only thing i dont like is we get storm from time to time

Back