• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Thanks, Fernando - I'm going to check the nursery now and see how many more have sprouted.
The habs and ornamentals haven't emerged yet since they have only eight days in the dirt. Some of the
seed varieties have sprouted 100%; PepperMania and NMSU seeds seem very robust. It will be interesting
to see how the dust settles in the end!

Have a great day, buddy : )

Thanks, Scovi, to you and the other kind forum folk!
It's fun to have a focused purpose to my gardening;
I've just always been a generalist - sort of a shotgun
approach.

1/30 - seeds germinated (showing cotyledons) 8th day:

Orchid Mix:

1x bolivian rainbow - PM - 3 total
1x fatali - 2 total - PM
1x long red cayenne - Ferry Morse
1x marconi rosso - Hume Seeds
1x early jalapeno - Hume Seeds

Soil Mix:

1x chocolate habanero - RF
2x serrano - Hume Seeds - 3 total
1x fatali - PM - 2 total
1x congo trinidad - PM - 3 total
2x serrano - Hume Seeds - 3 total
2x chiltepin - NMSU
1x marconi rosso - Hume Seeds - 3 total
3x early jalapeno - Hume Seeds

Total so far 48

Day 8: Orchid mix on the left, soil mix on the right:

DSCN3440.jpg

Here's an oddity. The cotyledons on several of the inca red drop sprouts are fused to varying degrees, a couple almost the length of the cotyledons. They are in the lower left cell in each mix. None of the other sprouts show this characteristic. I have noticed similar occurrences in my garden in the past, but don't remember it making a lot of difference. Will be interesting to see if they develop leaves or not. Fortunately, a couple of the sprouts have normal cotyledons. Here's a closer view, the lighting is kind of glare-y; the color is much more even on the sprouts in general:

DSCN3438.jpg

You guys have inspired me... this year will be the one I grow orange habs. Last frost here is Mid-May, so I guess I'll start them about St Paddy's day. Lots of time to plan and prepare.

Can't wait to see your reports!

Looking great PaulG! I like the seedling mix comparo you have going. It will be interesting to see which can form a better rootball, so if you could, grab a couple of shots before you pot up.

Thanks to you, I've improved my grow area by putting more emphasis on the 'flaps' at the side of the fixtures like you did. It holds heat better and obviously reflects light better. I use the bubble foil wrap insulation, so I can thrash it, cut it, etc.

One thing, are you using a fan for your your seedlings? You look pretty well enclosed. I might have missed it in your GLog along the way.

Keep up the great work.... :cool:

looks like heinz 57 is showing off a little! I like your ingenuity Paul! My first batch of seeds this season was done with a handwarmer mat and a meat thermometer! Worked great! Off and running though! You're a tinker...er like myself cracking me up with the mad scientist bit during the germination station experiments!

Looking great PaulG! I like the seedling mix comparo you have going. It will be interesting to see which can form a better rootball, so if you could, grab a couple of shots before you pot up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I will take some pics of the potting up, for sure.

Thanks to you, I've improved my grow area by putting more emphasis on the 'flaps' at the side of the fixtures like you did. It holds heat better and obviously reflects light better. I use the bubble foil wrap insulation, so I can thrash it, cut it, etc.

I like the bubble foil wrap idea. The gap between the flaps and bench top provides some relief from heat build up in our garage environment. I can feel a little heat escape when I lift a flap to check the plants in the a.m. I'm keeping a close eye on damping off. I have the covers off a couple of times a day for misting, etc.

I'm not using a fan, yet, since I have covers on the germ trays. I hope to score a computer fan or similar from my techie neighbor once I have transplanted, unless it becomes an issue before then. I didn't have one last year, and the poblanos, serranos and jalapenos did fine. Maybe some of the more exotic varieties are persnickety. I just want to get them out into the greenhouse when the weather warms up a bit. Then I can breath a little easier.

looks like heinz 57 is showing off a little! I like your ingenuity Paul! My first batch of seeds this season was done with a handwarmer mat and a meat thermometer! Worked great! Off and running though! You're a tinker...er like myself cracking me up with the mad scientist bit during the germination station experiments!

It will be interesting to tabulate the final result in a couple of weeks. I was glad to see the choc hab show up. Looks like an aji yellow may emerge tomorrow. I'm with you - the heinz 57 does seem a bit more productive at this point. I think this forum is a mad scientist magnet! Ya-ha-ha :D I say if a hand warmer mat and meat thermometer work, it's all good!

...I'm not using a fan, yet, since I have covers on the germ trays. I hope to score a computer fan or similar from my techie neighbor once I have transplanted, unless it becomes an issue before then. I didn't have one last year, and the poblanos, serranos and jalapenos did fine. Maybe some of the more exotic varieties are persnickety. I just want to get them out into the greenhouse when the weather warms up a bit. Then I can breath a little easier.

With a fan, I get a tougher stem and less likely to get leggy. I rattle them around with some fan-wind from near day one, but It is a trade-off between nice regulated temp and inducing some wind to get more plant vitality. Since you've grown plants before without problem and have a plan to get into the ghouse early, it's probably not as much a factor for you.

My local hydro guru also advocates an oscillating fan to more simulate ma nature as opposed to a straight line fan. He also says run the fan whenever the lights are on. Come on--ya gotta draw the line somewhere! But he is more kooky than me...in a good, over-the-top plant-wise way..... :cool:

My local hydro guru also advocates an oscillating fan to more simulate ma nature as opposed to a straight line fan. He also says run the fan whenever the lights are on. Come on--ya gotta draw the line somewhere! But he is more kooky than me...in a good, over-the-top plant-wise way..... :cool:
Sounds like a great guy :halo: Since I've got an earlier start this season, the fan thing may well turn out to be a necessity since my plants will be in the garage for a while, under lights on a table top.

Nice germination ...........got yourself some fresh seeds, it looks like a close call between the to mixes

Greg

With a fan, I get a tougher stem and less likely to get leggy. I rattle them around with some fan-wind from near day one, but It is a trade-off between nice regulated temp and inducing some wind to get more plant vitality. Since you've grown plants before without problem and have a plan to get into the ghouse early, it's probably not as much a factor for you.

Hey Sil,
The fans are a good idea, mine turns on with the MH lighting if not the room can hit 88+ deg with the additional flouros running. I have two fans, one is a high rate vortex which brings in the fresh cool air from inside the house, that blows towards my overwinters. I can see the pollen on the lower leaves. I also use an oscillating fan, which supposibly can help make the stems more vigorous. I need every bit of that with the "spring" winds we have here in apr/may

Greg

Paul, your setup is kinda like mine...plus its cooler where you are especially in your garage. I'm only running my fan for a few hours in the evenings when I get some supplemental heat from the sun on the west window by my grow shelves. I think you have to weigh your benefits of the fan vs the loss of heat under your lamps. My outdoor ghetto greenhouse setup has a heater that is a fan as well, so every time the heater kicks on at night I get some air movement in there, plus I open it up to the elements on nice days so I think I'm covered out there. I definitely noticed a difference when I started using the fan though...at first I thought the only thing keeping the plants from getting leggy was the light, but adding some air movement is keeping them even more compact!

I definitely noticed a difference when I started using the fan though...at first I thought the only thing keeping the plants from getting leggy was the light, but adding some air movement is keeping them even more compact!

Okay, Shane, that settles it, when I pot them up, I'm going to include a little fan.

1/31 - seeds germinated (showing cotyledons) 9th day:

Orchid Mix:

1x serrano - Hume - 2 total
1x orange rocoto - PM
1x early jalapeno - Hume Seeds - 2 total

Soil Mix:

1x yellow aji - PG
2x poblano - Hume Seeds

Total so far 54

Orchid Mix - 100% germ so far: inca red drop PM, omnicolor NMSU, bishop's crown PM, bolivian rainbow USHot

Soil mix - 100% germ so far: red carribean NMSU, bishop's crown PM, serrano Hume, congo trinidad PM,
marconi rossso Hume, early jalapeno Hume​

Day9: Orchid mix on the left, soil mix on the right:

DSCN3441.jpg

Some of the earlier sprouts starting to push out true leaves. So far, I'd say the soil mix is a little quicker, and the seedlings seem slightly more robust. too early to tell for sure; we'll see if the trend continues.

Way to go Paul!................. :cool: ........................that looked easy.

Some people have the misfortune due to "bum" seeds. I've run in to that myself. Even from reliable sources.

Sometimes patience is the answer. Good luck with the next phase of your grow

Greg

Everything has sprouted at least some seeds, except for the white habanero,
yellow jellybeans, w.t.tepin, and the ornamentals. I think these are the more tentative
germinators, so guess I can't complain. I'll definitely keep them in the germinator
for at least several weeks, even after I pot up the others.
Thanks for the encouragement, Greg!

Later: Two tepin hooks and one explosive ember hook peeking out of the dirt!

2/1 - seeds germinated (showing cotyledons) 10th day:

Orchid Mix:

1x explosive ember - THC

Soil Mix:

1x explosive ember - THC
1x wild texas tepin - THC

Total so far 57

Germination really slowed down in the main tray. Some habs and a nosegay still to sprout.
Don't see new hooks in any of the cells which have seedlings already up. There are roots
showing up at the bottom of the cells with older seedlings in them, especially ones with
true leaves emerging. The inca red drops with the fused leaves are pushing out some true
leaves, as well.
Some seedlings are starting to hit the tops of my covers, so maybe time to pot up to some
larger pots. Maybe I'll put some more seeds in the empty cells :D Ya-ha-ha.

In the ornamentals tray, things are starting to happen. Time for patience!

Day10: Orchid mix:

DSCN3449a.jpg

Day10: Soil mix:

DSCN3447a.jpg

Day 10: ornamentals:
You can see the explosive ember seedlings in the top row, and the tepin hooks in the second row.
DSCN3453a.jpg

Just for fun, I did a similar experiment with tomato seeds. Same drill, orchid mix on left,
soil on right:

DSCN3456a.jpg

Okay. Going out to mix up some compost, recycled soil, and peat for potting up some of the more advanced
seedlings. Will have to set up another light to accommodate the larger sized pots.

Back