• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

edit: 6/9: Haha I just noticed a page topper :lol: guess I'm still not paying attention to details!

Great to see ya back Paul. We're all elated to hear that your dad is doing well and the plants survived.

Now, what's next on Pauls Pepper Sampling List, that Butch T looks good :whistle:
Haha, Bill. Easy to say :mouthonfire:
Thanks for the nice welcome!

Good to see you back with some more positive news paul.
I don't envy what you have gone through. Don't feel any pressure from us to get your glog to 100 pages just yet ;) good things usually take time so you take care of yourself and those close first and foremost and we'll all be here regardless of how often you check at the moment. But good to see you back. Peace trippa
Thanks, Trippa. We're going to see the cardiologist tomorrow. Other than that, it's one day at a time for a few weeks.

We are all glad your dad is home and in your care. God bless and can't wait to see the old PaulG back action :party:
Thanks, Jamie; so are we.
Hope I can find my tripod :D

It's good to see you back Paul, and glad to hear your dad has been a bit more stable. 97? Wow, them are some good genes for you huh? Anyway, looking forward to your updates and glad to see you back around!
Thanks for the nice welcome, Andy. Dad will be 98 on 9/1! Hope it's hereditary!
Wow! Look at this page. A true sign of your character,and class sir. At times our resolve gets put to the test,and it is hard to let go of that steering wheel. Amazing how we see how truely blessed we are after times of trebidation or grief.
You are right on, Pr0d. It is great to be able to look back and know it could have been far worse, and to appreciate the support and prayers from our friends here.

Glad it sounds like things have maybe started to turn the corner. Hope things keep improving and you find a bit of time to relax and let your guard down. Oh and hope you find some time to take a few garden pics while your at it...

Glad it sounds like things have maybe started to turn the corner. Hope things keep improving and you find a bit of time to relax and let your guard down. Oh and hope you find some time to take a few garden pics while your at it...
Thanks, Britt. It's nice not to be on red alert for a change. The 11 days in the
hospital seem like so long in the past; it's hard to realize all this started happening just
three weeks ago.

Hope to nab a few pics today or tomorrow. In the meantime here's the latest sampling
from Jamie's box, the Bhut Jolokia and a Red Habanero:
DSCN4553a.jpg

It had been two weeks since I had any hot peppers, and believe it or not, I
was craving some heat! So I just sliced these up into little pieces:
DSCN4555a.jpg

We had some kind of roast beef with gravy over rice. Sorry Pinoy,
I know it's not a luau, but the sliced pepps make the dish look better!
DSCN4556a.jpg

When I sliced the peppers up, there was a strong pepper aroma which smelled
good. I licked the fork I used to hold them for cutting after cutting them up; hot
mouth! I started with some of the jolokia pieces. The first couple of bites left an
all-over tongue burn which spread to the lips and had a great flavor. About a
fourth of the way through the dish, my eyes started watering a little and the heat
increased with each bite. About halfway through, my nose was running and I
was breaking a sweat; could feel the heat in my forehead and increased lip burn.
The flavor continued to be very nice for both the jolokia and red hab, although by
the two thirds point I was blowing my nose! As I finished up, the heat seemed to
spread even more up to my forehead which was itching pretty good by then; even
my eyelids had some heat sensation. The heat subsided fairly quickly once I was
finished. Another normal dish made decent by some hot peppers! Thanks to Jamie
once more!

I did manage to catch some nice light in the garden the other afternoon. Here are a
few pics until I can get some close-ups of the different pods and plants.

Front: Congo Trinidad, Chocolate Hab, Pointed Yellow Hab, Hungarian Yellow Wax.
All in 5-gallon pots​
Back: Bolivian Rainbow, Cayenne and two Marconi Rossos. All in 7-gallon pots:
DSCN4560a.jpg

The Pubescens from Peppermania in the back
has really grown in the past week. And there are
two pods on it! Will try to get some pics of them.
That's a Peruvian Yellow Aji to the left. The pube
is in a 10 gallon pot:
DSCN4563a.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow starting to change colors:
DSCN4564a.jpg

I know these are just teasers. I promise to post some pod shots soon!
Thanks for looking!

That Bol. Rainbow is extraordinary!!!!! What a beautiful plant!

It's funny, we have baggies of frozen chiles from last Summer's bounty...and for the past 7 months, whenever I open one to grab some heat, the aroma takes me right back to some of the best moments of Summer '11 (my initiation to superhots!). Truly delightful! :)

Cheers to "normal dishes made decent but some hot peppers"!!!!!!!! :D

That Bolivian rainbow looks awesome! Next year I'm going to see if I can get my mom to let me plant some ornamentals in with her flower bed...hehehe. There are so many cool looking plants! Your gardens are so prim and proper. It looks elegant and classy. Love it Paul. Glad to hear your Sad's progressively getting better. He is a champion. Keep fighting the good fight!

Likes for everyone! Makes me smile from the inside out to be looking at pics from Paul again! Can't wait for the closeups! I'm sure you've got some really nice pods hiding under those perfect leaves! Cudos to you for powering through another couple hotties...been able to eat a few of my own, you're not far behind my friend!

Hey Paul, nice return update!

I remember that Bolivian Rainbow being just a small ground-cover ornamental not so long ago.
It's turned into the conical-vortex shape.......she could possibly pass as a landscaping shrub!...........nice

Greg

You are a soldier paul! Thats alot of heat for one bowl! i think that would have lite me up good! the Garden is lookin great hope you get to spend more time in it in the coming weeks. Sounds like youve earned it!

Hey Paul, been a few weeks since I visited and it appears you have been busy! Sorry to hear about your pops! Glad he is on the mend. I hate getting older for the simple reason that everyone else gets older too. I guess things like that really make you stop and appreciate the moments you have with all of your loved ones. So there is at least that. A reminder of how tenuous and fragile our existence really is. And a reminder to really enjoy the company and be present when with those you love.

Anyway, I love those smart pots. I know you will have tons of success with them. My growth was just about double when I compared pot ups in smart pots with regular pots. Needless to say, if I could grow all my container plants in them, I would. But, they can be quite cost prohibitive. I plan to pick up a couple few each season from now on.

Keep growing PaulG!

Hey Paul, been a few weeks since I visited and it appears you have been busy! Sorry to hear about your pops! Glad he is on the mend. I hate getting older for the simple reason that everyone else gets older too. I guess things like that really make you stop and appreciate the moments you have with all of your loved ones. So there is at least that. A reminder of how tenuous and fragile our existence really is. And a reminder to really enjoy the company and be present when with those you love.

Anyway, I love those smart pots. I know you will have tons of success with them. My growth was just about double when I compared pot ups in smart pots with regular pots. Needless to say, if I could grow all my container plants in them, I would. But, they can be quite cost prohibitive. I plan to pick up a couple few each season from now on.

Keep growing PaulG!

If you have a Wegmans near by, check there. I picked up a few 7 gal. smart pots for $2 each last time I was there.

Paul glad to see you back and glad your dad is doing better!! I hope you have him around for many more years. It's always rough when the loved ones get sick. Your plants look great, can't wait to see some more pics! Take care Paul! ;)

Looking good Paul, Nice to have you back. Cheers!
Thanks Rick; good to be off adreneline for awhile. I was pretty
strung out after three trips to the ER ;) Hope your gochu grow is
goin' great guns!

That Bol. Rainbow is extraordinary!!!!! What a beautiful plant!

It's funny, we have baggies of frozen chiles from last Summer's bounty...and for the past 7 months, whenever I open one to grab some heat, the aroma takes me right back to some of the best moments of Summer '11 (my initiation to superhots!). Truly delightful! :)

Cheers to "normal dishes made decent but some hot peppers"!!!!!!!! :D
It's a beauty, indeed. There is a nice pic of it somewhere ahead!
Pepper heat is a good thing! I am going to try some of my own this
weekend!

He's back Nice review. Those peppers look just like the day I picked them :party: Amazing

And we demand more pics from the garden. ;)
The peppers were basicallyunopened in the pyrex container for the 11 days dad was in the
hospital, so they kept very well. I chopped up the last Yellow Aji on a salami and cheese
sandwich yesterday. Mmmm, good! Unfortunately the barakapore did not survive so well.
It was soft and wrinkly and had a little mold on it. The seeds were dark :confused: but the rest of
the peppers look great. Still the Sweet Venetians, the Datil and the African Tunisan about
which I know very little.
More pics up ahead! Hope you are okay in Florida.

That Bolivian rainbow looks awesome! Next year I'm going to see if I can get my mom to let me plant some ornamentals in with her flower bed...hehehe. There are so many cool looking plants! Your gardens are so prim and proper. It looks elegant and classy. Love it Paul. Glad to hear your Sad's progressively getting better. He is a champion. Keep fighting the good fight!
Thanks, King. Dad is making good progress so far, and we are all thankful.
I've never been associated with anything elegant and classy :shocked: (except my wife!)
You are too kind, bro!

Likes for everyone! Makes me smile from the inside out to be looking at pics from Paul again! Can't wait for the closeups! I'm sure you've got some really nice pods hiding under those perfect leaves! Cudos to you for powering through another couple hotties...been able to eat a few of my own, you're not far behind my friend!
Good to hear from you, Shane! There are some surprise pods hanging out there for sure.
I found another pubescens pod yesterday that I hadn't seen before; that makes three.
They are all swelling. I love trying out the peppers. There are some pics ahead of some
I'm going to try this weekend. The nice weather has perked everything up pretty well.
Hope your pepper farm is doing okay.

@ Melissa (lost your post) Thanks, Melissa. I hope you are right!
Thanks for the kind words. As for pics,your wish is my command!

Here's the first pod off the Fatali x Red Savina (Robin). Lots of green ones all around:
IMG_9458a.jpg

Here's a closer look at the Bolivian Rainbow:
IMG_9456a.jpg

Congo Trinidad in a 5 gallon pot:
IMG_9454a.jpg

Congo Trinidad podding up:
IMG_9455a.jpg

Two shots of the Hungarian Yellow Wax:
IMG_9453a.jpg

IMG_9450a.jpg

Pubescent - Orange Rocoto:
IMG_9446a.jpg

Bishop's Crowns. No flowers yet:
IMG_9445a.jpg

Yellow Aji (Pepper Gal):
IMG_9443a.jpg

More to come, but have to bail for a while. Back soon.

Hey Paul, nice return update!

I remember that Bolivian Rainbow being just a small ground-cover ornamental not so long ago.
It's turned into the conical-vortex shape.......she could possibly pass as a landscaping shrub!...........nice

Greg

Thanks for looking, Greg. The BR does get a lot of comments; the pictures don't really do it justice.

Glad to see you're back in action, my friend. I thought it was getting a little quiet around here... ;)

Thanks, Rab. Good to be back!

Welcome back Paul glad to hear good news from you. Plants look amazing and I can not wait to see those pod pics.

Thanks, Fernando. We're pretty happy about dad's progress.
There are some pics up ahead somewhere.

You are a soldier paul! Thats alot of heat for one bowl! i think that would have lite me up good! the Garden is lookin great hope you get to spend more time in it in the coming weeks. Sounds like youve earned it!

I thought the two peppers together would be over the top, but it wasn't really too bad.
There was just enough burn to sweat and get a good runny nose! I have been getting
out to the garden a bit more in the past week. Feels great! Thanks for the kind words, bro!

Keep growing PaulG!

Well said, my friend! Dad is doing quite well for a 97 year old!
So far the soft pots are working pretty well. I love the ease of
moving them around.
Hope your grow is proceeding apace, Seth!

Awesome update!!! My Manzanos took a long time to start putting on the pods...and grew huge in the process. Dropped hundreds of blooms...then one day as if someone flipped a switch they all started piling on the pods. Really haven't put too many photos of them up yet. most are between dime and quarter size. So if yours are already producing you're way ahead of the game! I am also loving your tomato trellis idea, and I'm stealing it for next year! For now I am going to have to come up with some sort of crazy scheme to prop my larger plants up for the rest of the season. You also added the Bolivian Rainbow to my grow list for next year! Your plants look just about perfect...keep it up man!
Shane

Awesome update!!! My Manzanos took a long time to start putting on the pods...and grew huge in the process. Dropped hundreds of blooms...then one day as if someone flipped a switch they all started piling on the pods.
Okay then, I won't worry too much!
Really haven't put too many photos of them up yet. most are between dime and quarter size. So if yours are already producing you're way ahead of the game! I am also loving your tomato trellis idea, and I'm stealing it for next year! For now I am going to have to come up with some sort of crazy scheme to prop my larger plants up for the rest of the season.
Some of my tomato cages are not going to be tall enough. I'm still looking for the perfect solution!
You also added the Bolivian Rainbow to my grow list for next year! Your plants look just about perfect...keep it up man!
Shane
Thanks for looking and for the kind words, my friend. Am looking forward to getting to your glog soon.

The Giant White Habanero is really putting on the growth:
IMG_9442a.jpg

New Mex Twilight pods turning purple:
IMG_9436a.jpg

Black Pearl (Nota):
IMG_9435a.jpg

Peruvian White Habanero:
IMG_9460a.jpg

Serranos:
IMG_9461a.jpg

The past two years all my poblanos have been lobed on the blossom
end. This year, about half have a stinger end: