• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Paul,

It has been a few months since I stopped in your thread. I always enjoy your commentary and photo's of your pepper managerie. I had a ton of posts to catch up on, first so sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. From your posts it sounds like he had a great life and was dearly loved and will be sadly missed. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Sadly I and my wife have been through this 4 times as well, no living parents left with us either. We try to keep their best memories alive. This provides some level of comfort.

You photo's are very good, I was curious what camera you use, I recently get a Nikon D5100 and a couple of lenses, looking forward to trying it out on my plants, flowers, pods this season. Anyway, just want to stop by and pay my respects to your passion for peppers and the THP collective.

Later...

Rhody...

Most excellent Paul! I'm looking forward to checking out your grow this coming season too.

It's time for me to start pulling everything together for my indoor seed starting also. I have almost all the seeds I want to germ for next year... just waiting on a package from Croatia, then it's cleaning up the grow area and setting it up for the new season. I'll still use the grow tent from last season to give the seedlings their initial push, but then I move them to a table under a couple of shop lights when they outgrow the tent. Your grow shelf is giving me ideas... I may make a cover out of reflective foam board and duct tape. Cheers!
Hey Rick! I owe you a debt of gratitude for prodding me into getting it done before I actually start germinating seeds! This foam stuff comes in thicknesses up to at least two inches, so you could build a very sturdy cover with foam board and duct tape, and it would weigh just about nothing. Sounds like you are getting close to g-day, buddy. Enjoy the holidays, and then down to business!

pods look lovely as does your growden... keep us updated... let me know if you are looking for seeds.. i might have a few
Thanks, Denniz. I'm probably okay for seeds at this time, I have to
start deciding what not to plant by way of eliminating some! Same
goes for you; see anything on my glog you like, just speak up!

Ghetteaux... :rofl:

Nice grow shelf!
Thanks, Brent, I think it will work very well.
I noticed I mispelled ghetteaux in my post.
Geaux figure.

Paul,

It has been a few months since I stopped in your thread. I always enjoy your commentary and photo's of your pepper managerie. I had a ton of posts to catch up on, first so sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. From your posts it sounds like he had a great life and was dearly loved and will be sadly missed. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Sadly I and my wife have been through this 4 times as well, no living parents left with us either. We try to keep their best memories alive. This provides some level of comfort.

You photo's are very good, I was curious what camera you use, I recently get a Nikon D5100 and a couple of lenses, looking forward to trying it out on my plants, flowers, pods this season. Anyway, just want to stop by and pay my respects to your passion for peppers and the THP collective.

Later...

Rhody...
Thanks for the visit, Dave, and for the condolences. This is the fourth
for us, as well. Every day we notice some change in our lives and
routines that evolve from the fact dad is no longer here. Nothing bad,
just different. We have some very supportive friends, as well, and I
know the feeling of missing them will never really go away.

Most of my pics are taken with a Nikon Coolpix S550 pocket camera,
10 megapixels, but small sensor, sometimes on a tripod (the biggest factor!).
I also take a few with my Canon Digital Rebel; the original version (nine years
old) with 6.1 megapixels. It takes great pictures. My dad was a photographer,
so I will start learning to use his Nikon D300S soon! You will have a great time
with your Nikon D5100, buddy! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Got a nice envelope from Trippa in Oz. He was going to send me some Scotch
Bonnet seeds, and threw in some surprises along with them:
DSCN5051a.jpg

Thanks, my friend! Some of these will be going into the germination chamber
for sure!

No worries Paul!! .... I felt sure I included wild Brazil seeds in your Christmas seed bonus... dam ohh well next time they will be there

Not to worry, brother; the package is more than complete! I'll include a couple
from Shane's Wild Brazil seed just for fun in the meantime!

Nice score Paul....you got a great selection from Trippa. More varieties to display next year with your classic dinner photos.
Right you are, my friend! Tripp put together a nice selection. It will be a
tough decision when it comes to the 2013 list :think: Gotta find a balance between
what I like that does well and trying something new. Hope things are good in
your neck of the woods, Greg.

Took advantage of another nice day to take down a few plants
and pull the remaining pods off those. The Bisho;'s crowns and
the Yellow Ajis are still ripening pods, so I'm letting them go for a
while. The greenhouse Yellow Aji is coloring up nicely now, too.

Here's the plate of pods from today's bushwhacking:
DSCN5053a.jpg

Marconi Rossos, Red Caribbeans, Orange Rocotos, Naga Morich,
Inca Red Drop, peruvian market Yellow Aji.

This is for Big Cedar and Mellissa. I wasn't able to get to all the pods before
they softened up, so I have been eating the best ones (we had a couple last
night, too). I really haven't kept track of what they were, but I enjoyed them
totally! The remaining pods went into the dryer. I'm going to grind them a
little and call it the MissyBigCedar Explosion:
DSCN5054a.jpg

Thank you both for the marvelous pods.

I have a few plants in the garage under 2x 4' 6500K fluros. They all have
new growth bumps and sprouts. When they grow out a little, I'll do some
more pruning, and then see about transplanting, maybe. There are seeds
drying in the paper plates.
DSCN5057a.jpg

Yes, the Fatali is ripening up!
DSCN5056a.jpg

That's it from this corner of the PNW for now. Hope everyone had
a good weekend. We had a tapas and wine night with a couple of
friends here last night. Hot peppers were on the table, as well!

Hey Rick! I owe you a debt of gratitude for prodding me into getting it done before I actually start germinating seeds! This foam stuff comes in thicknesses up to at least two inches, so you could build a very sturdy cover with foam board and duct tape, and it would weigh just about nothing. Sounds like you are getting close to g-day, buddy. Enjoy the holidays, and then down to business!

Hi Paul
How low do the temps get in your garage over the span of the winter? Our basement seems to hold at a constant 50 degrees, and my hope is that by building a sort of box cover with the foil-faced foam board, the shop light inside will heat the space to at least 60 degrees without having to heat the space artificially. I don't want a repeat of our March electric bill!

Got a nice envelope from Trippa in Oz. He was going to send me some Scotch
Bonnet seeds, and threw in some surprises along with them:

I got some nice seeds from Trippa as well... Good man!
Just over 4 weeks to G-day and the first wave..
Nice looking OW plants Paul, that's the next frontier. Cheers

Haha "the next frontier" makes me feel like James Kirk! I guess chili
pepper horticulture is almost as exciting as space travel.

I'll bet that if you built a cover out of the foam and it is reasonably tight you
will have to vent it to keep the heat down depending on the size! Just kidding,
but it should stay plenty warm if you don't open it up and play a lot, which I do
anyway.Our garage gets down to about 50-55 on the coldest nights, and usually
hangs around low 60's at night in cold weather. There is a heater vent off the
duct so I keep a tad bit of warm air in during the day. The garage is semifinished,
so holds heat pretty well. We have foam on the garage doors. During the day the
temps are 65-68 ambient. It looks like the shelf will maintain close to 80˚ at that
temp. I'm going to do another test today, leaving the light halfway up and on for
several hours, measuring temp close to the shelf floor, and then see how well it
holds the heat with the light off.

Okay here's the final installment of this update, I think.
In truth, I can't believe I'm posting these pics on Dec. 3!
Except maybe for the greenhouse photos!

In the greenhouse:

The bushy phenotype peruvian market Yellow Aji
has begun to look serious about ripening. I trimmed
all the non-productive branches on this and all my
remaining plants, outdoor and greenhouse. There
are over two dozen pods. Will be interesting to see
how long it holds out. In 18 days the days will start
getting longer again, so if I can just keep em alive...
DSCN5060a.jpg

The Peach Habanero (Fernando) continues to look great and ripen up more
pods, although no new pods setting; too cold, I think.
DSCN5061a.jpg

New growth on the three primary forks of the Red Manzano (Shane). I'll
prune back to these forks at some point, preferably after pods ripen:
DSCN5063a.jpg

Outdoors:

Yellow Aji (Peppermania) finally starting to ripen in a significant way. I have
no idea how many pods are on these plants. This is about one-fifth of the
mass of shrubbery:
DSCN5064a.jpg

Yellow Aji with Bishop's Crown in the background. Plants bent over
from nine inches of rain the past three weeks; stretched out the
twine holding the Ajis up! The BC's seem to be able to hold themselves
up better being more tree like. The Ajis are truly vine-like and would
be great on an espalier or trellis:
DSCN5067a.jpg

The Bishops Crowns. These are rangy plants, and climbed the arbor
vitae behind them, as you can see.But they are not as supple and
vine-like as the Ajis.
DSCN5066a.jpg

I suppose next update would be about overwinter plants, so not much
happening for a few weeks. Maybe I'll get a chance to visit some grow
logs. Thanks for looking in in spite of my poor performance :shocked: :oops: :rolleyes:
in that area.
Hope great holiday seasons are in store for all.

Amazing that you still have plants kicking :fireball: . Kinda of looks like some of mine. Tired and ready to take a nap. Just 18 days is a nice sound. I was just thinking how depressing it is to go to work in the dark and come home and it's dark. No gardener should have to love like that ;) . Your glog is the most informative one west of the Mississippi :party:

Thanks Paul and happy Holidays!!

Poor performance? Ha! Looks great to me! Way better than any of my plants look. Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Sorry, Brent, I wasn't very clear. I was referring to the fact
I haven't visited many glogs lately. I feel okay about the
grow for a first time serious attempt at growing capsicum sp.
The backyard peppers have ripened up more today. We have 32˚
predicted for a couple of nights in the next week. If we can escape
a serious freeze who knows ?

Happy and healthy holidays to you and your family as well.

Amazing that you still have plants kicking :fireball: . Kinda of looks like some of mine. Tired and ready to take a nap. Just 18 days is a nice sound. I was just thinking how depressing it is to go to work in the dark and come home and it's dark. No gardener should have to love like that ;) . Your glog is the most informative one west of the Mississippi :party:

Thanks Paul and happy Holidays!!
Amazing is how I'd put it. This has been an exceptional grow season!
Yes, they do look a bit sad, my friend, and I'll be glad when this finally ends!
The yard is pretty much winterized except those plants! I fully agree
about the dark thing. That's one of the best things about being retired : ),
or even semi-retired.

Best holiday wishes for you and your family, Jamie.

Hi Paul
Boy, even for the Pacific Northwest, you've had an exceptional growing season. I bet back in February you weren't thinking that you'd still be picking chiles in December! After 10 months without a break in the garden and elsewhere, I'll also bet you're ready for one...

Right you are, Rick! On both counts.
I might even get a spicy Christmas present
from my greenhouse if I can baby it along!

Hey Paul, seems your season has evened out. I remember your spring and early summer not cooperating,but things have caught back up for you. The baccatums have a cool growth habit, and very prolific. It is surprising how well their scrawny limbs hold all that weight without breaking. Have a safe,and happy holiday.

Wow! Can't believe you're still pulling pods! Looking amazing there Mr G!
Hey, Neil! Thanks for the visit, buddy; I can't believe it, either.
I'm holding out for a nice Yellow Aji harvest before it freezes.
It will be nip and tuck, but it could happen!

I did pull a few more Peach Habaneros before trimming the plant
back to the second forks:
DSCN5075a.jpg

Hey Paul, seems your season has evened out. I remember your spring and early summer not cooperating,but things have caught back up for you. The baccatums have a cool growth habit, and very prolific. It is surprising how well their scrawny limbs hold all that weight without breaking. Have a safe,and happy holiday.
Yes, we had a chilly and wet Spring here in the PNW all the way to
June, then three months with no rain. Go figure. Some of the varieties
really didn't start flowering or setting pods in a big way until October.
The baccatums are interesting, indeed. I need to give my Yellow Aji
(I'm only growing one!) more room next season, for sure.

Best of the holiday season to you and your family, John!

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Paul.
Same to you and your family, Brent!
How's that greenhouse treating you?

Got a nice surprise from Wayright's house yesterday. He said a forum
member had him send me a nice sampling of powders, but didn't say
who. I think I know who it was, so thanks, buddy!:
DSCN5074a.jpg

The aromas of the powders are amazing, especially the smoked congos.
This will be fun!

Back