• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Really looking good Paul. Love that Black Pearl and the Rainbow is beautiful. couple of questions, which fish fert do you like to usa and is CalMag the same as the supplilment I see at the drug store?

Yellow Aji seedlings growing fast:
DSCN4149a.jpg

Time to pot up to 18oz. party cups. the dirt germinated seedlings had a
loose rootball which came apart easily:
DSCN4150a.jpg

The cup germinated seeds had a denser root ball in general:
DSCN4151a.jpg

The 14 new transplants in the party cups. Each received
4oz. of 1/2 strength B-1 transplanter:
DSCN4153a.jpg

Okay. Done for the night. Good growing everyone.

The weather looks nice there! And your plant's seem to be happy about it.. :) Very healthy looking plants.. doing good Paul! It's +2 celsius here and snowing again.. that's very uncool! Hope the sun will shine here too soon.. :)

That is tres uncool, brother! We've been having the usual on again, off again
weather for our area. The temperatures are moving in the right direction, though,
and a few sunbreaks during the day keeps the greenhouse nice and warm.
I think the plants are happy there; it took them a while to adjust and start growing
after transplanting and moving out.

Thanks for taking a look, Mankeli! Good luck moving on to summer!

Great job Paul, love those flowers on Bolivian, you seem to be having great weather.
I'm kinda jealous on that Inca pod developing :D

Are those black buckets 5 gallon?

Thanks for stopping by, MisterNo! The Bolivian Rainbow is one of my favorites;
kind of halfway between a compact ornamental like Explosive Ember, and a more typical
annuum growth habit like the Black Pearl, at least so far. They are all knockout plants!

The front row of pots are fives, the back row are seven gallonUS.

I'm surprised that the Inca Red Drop was the first to set a pod, but it's so
small right now, it hardly counts :D
Yours will come soon, I bet! Good growing to you!

Really looking good Paul. Love that Black Pearl and the Rainbow is beautiful. couple of questions, which fish fert do you like to usa and is CalMag the same as the supplilment I see at the drug store?

Thanks for asking, RM. I use Alaska brand fish fertilizer 5-0-0. The CalMag
is a Botanicare product I got at the local hydro grow store. I don't know if
the supplements would do the same thing at the concentrations they are in;
interesting experiment there, bro! Right now I use a 1/4 strength mix of both
for every watering; probably 1/3 then 1/2 strength over the next few weeks.
Then, when they go outside into the big containers, I'll switch to Alaska fish
and their MorBloom product in a 3 to 1 mix at full strength. I have sprayed
once with kelp, but need to try to be more regular with that, I think, and will
continue that through the summer.

This routine is something I copied from someone else on the forum, so credit
where credit is due, but I can't remember where I first saw it! But thanks anyway,
'phantom' member! Good growing to you, RM!

[sup]Looking great as usual! Glad you're back! Glad your (and my) weather is finally cooperating. [/sup]

Thanks, Shane, and for the great care package you sent! I'll be posting a
pic of the contents pretty quick. Suffice it to say that you are the man, my friend!
Maybe our West Coast weather has finally turned the corner; I'm sure there will
be a few more surprises just to keep us on our toes!

edit: Here is evidence that not only is Shane a Master Grafter and Expert Glogster, but a
Right on Dude, as well! Thanks, buddy!
DSCN4154a.jpg

Seeds: Tepin x ?; Goat's Weed; Tepin #15; Wild Brazil; Manzano
Manzano/Thai powder; Shane's Mix flakes w/ some powder

Started soaking seeds for round two germination in distilled water:
DSCN4161a.jpg

Center: Tepin x ? (Shane)
Clockwise from top center: Orange manzano from market, mystery cherry type hot from a friend,
Tepin #15 (Shane), Manzano (Shane), Goat's Weed (Shane), Wild Brazil (Shane), mystery 'orange nando' from Socalchilehead.

I'll get these into the germination trays tomorrow.

Rainy day today and most tomorrow, then two nice days in a row, supposedly. Unfortunately I will be not be able to get the peppers out into the sunshine; going Fri-Sun for some winter camping in the Three Sisters Area. So am not going to have much time for update today. I'll try to get everything on auto pilot so the pepps will be okay for the weekend.

That being said, time marches on; started the round 2 seed germination escapade today. For those who haven't seen it before, the foil skirts on the light (2x 4' 6500k T12) keep the trays at about 85 at soil level. Now just to wait and see what happens:
DSCN4164a.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Hopefully the nice weekend will get the plants to open up some flowers for shooting some pix.
Happy Spring growing to all!

It was supposed to rain here today as well Paul, but no luck. Another dry (albeit windy) day. I was hoping that It would rain so I could leave my watering system off. Perhaps on Sunday.

By the way, I still haven't gotten that envelope from you to send some seeds back your way. Probably my mail lady ate it... She doesn't particularly like me I think - always giving my water bill to my neighbors, and filling my mailbox with austrailian pine needles, and limbs (long story).

I'll keep looking out for it though, and check with my neighbor, though, the only thing she's given them is my water bill...

Just for the record that Tepin Cross is from Sawdust (Frank) so I deserve no credit for that guy all thanks go to him. The Manzanos were collected from store bought pods and are almost vinelike. I may have to build them trellises to train them on.

Have a good time and be safe on your camping trip. I used to camp for weeks at a time during winter break from college above tree line in New Mexico...We were always the only ones dumb enough to be out there in the sub zero conditions with a foot of snow. You haven't seen a view until you've awakened to the cloud ceiling only a few feet above your head and a fresh blanket of snow...but then again you haven't been cold until your tent is destroyed and carried away by a storm and the winds are kicking at about 80 mph. That was a ccccold night. Luckily we were able to find shelter and get a good fire going behind a rock structure or I wouldn't be writing this!

Saw some of your camping/hiking photos. Cool stuff man. You got skills!
Will be looking for the update when you get back,
Shane

It was supposed to rain here today as well Paul, but no luck. Another dry (albeit windy) day. I was hoping that It would rain so I could leave my watering system off. Perhaps on Sunday.

By the way, I still haven't gotten that envelope from you to send some seeds back your way. Probably my mail lady ate it... She doesn't particularly like me I think - always giving my water bill to my neighbors, and filling my mailbox with austrailian pine needles, and limbs (long story).

I'll keep looking out for it though, and check with my neighbor, though, the only thing she's given them is my water bill...

Please don't blame the postal service! Shane was smart, he knew if
he waited for me to send him an envelope it would take me forever.
I finally got to the UPS Store today and got some envelopes, labels, etc.
The mailman will pick it up tomorrow, and you should have it next week.
Thanks in advance, and thanks for being patient, jcr! Us old-timers
need a little slack in the line :lol:

Tell ya what, you can have some of the 2-1/2 inches we've been getting
over the past week to 10 days! Trade ya for a little sun!

Thanks for the visit, Ken. I need them. I notice Shane is 600 views ahead
and leaving me behind. He may be over 20K by now :D

Just for the record that Tepin Cross is from Sawdust (Frank) so I deserve no credit for that guy all thanks go to him.
Okay! Thanks, Frank!
The Manzanos were collected from store bought pods and are almost vinelike. I may have to build them trellises to train them on.
That should be interesting! I hope a couple germinate for me.
Have a good time and be safe on your camping trip. I used to camp for weeks at a time during winter break from college above tree line in New Mexico...We were always the only ones dumb enough to be out there in the sub zero conditions with a foot of snow. You haven't seen a view until you've awakened to the cloud ceiling only a few feet above your head and a fresh blanket of snow...but then again you haven't been cold until your tent is destroyed and carried away by a storm and the winds are kicking at about 80 mph. That was a ccccold night. Luckily we were able to find shelter and get a good fire going behind a rock structure or I wouldn't be writing this!
Dude! We try to stay more comfy than that : ) but I love being out when there is no one else around. We've had to ski in or out five miles in 3' of snow with backpacks a few times, but nothing as gnarly as what you describe! Good that you and all your gear weren't blown away!
Saw some of your camping/hiking photos. Cool stuff man. You got skills!
Will be looking for the update when you get back,
Shane

Thanks, bro, and thanks for looking in. Have a great weekend.

Uhm... So it worked... I got about an inch of rain today. haha.

Thats enough for now though, would like for it to be sunny once agai, n.

haha my mail lady is crazy... I have this pernicious tree that grows at the end of my property by my mailbox (austrailian pine... grows like kudzu), and in order for me to be able to get in and out of the mailbox, I have to cut the stuff off at the ground every week. So one time, a couple of weeks ago, the day after I had trimmed it, she cut down 20 - 30 of them, crammed my mailbox full, and then forced the mail in on top of them... Fortunately it was grocer flyer day, and that was the only thing that was ruined (numerous holes in numerous diameters).

I left her a note, and left the trees in there until she finally pulled them out... I refuse to trim them now, and will walk down to get the mail... She wants to cut them down, she can have at it, but next time she'll be on camera.

Having reread the post, I should point out that there are hundreds perhaps a thousand or more that vary in height from seedlings to 60'+ in height... The ones I found in my mailbox were broken off about a foot off the ground, and came mostly from behind my mailbox.

Dang Paul I thought Grant was the mad scientist when it came to peppers. Love to see what the two of you could come up together.

Uhm... So it worked... I got about an inch of rain today. haha.

Thats enough for now though, would like for it to be sunny once agai, n.

haha my mail lady is crazy... I have this pernicious tree that grows at the end of my property by my mailbox (austrailian pine... grows like kudzu), and in order for me to be able to get in and out of the mailbox, I have to cut the stuff off at the ground every week. So one time, a couple of weeks ago, the day after I had trimmed it, she cut down 20 - 30 of them, crammed my mailbox full, and then forced the mail in on top of them... Fortunately it was grocer flyer day, and that was the only thing that was ruined (numerous holes in numerous diameters).

I left her a note, and left the trees in there until she finally pulled them out... I refuse to trim them now, and will walk down to get the mail... She wants to cut them down, she can have at it, but next time she'll be on camera.

Having reread the post, I should point out that there are hundreds perhaps a thousand or more that vary in height from seedlings to 60'+ in height... The ones I found in my mailbox were broken off about a foot off the ground, and came mostly from behind my mailbox.

Dude! I don't know which is worse - the australian pine or the mail lady!
Glad you got the rain - we did get a little sun. Fair trade!

Dang Paul I thought Grant was the mad scientist when it came to peppers. Love to see what the two of you could come up together.

Your half right about the mad scientist part :lol:

They do say two heads are better than one!

Want an Australian venomous snake to keep as a pet in your mailbox Paul? we got plenty here on the property you can have. ;)

Mezo.

Hey Paul- takes longer and longer to make the glog rounds these days-which means all is going really well with everyone-and thats a good thing! Looks like you will have plenty of ammo for when the weather decides to cooperate with you! Are going to go with pots or ground when the time comes?
Good to see you are starting more seeds..makes me feel less crazy for wanting "one more round"!
Cheers-
Dave

I am starting one last maybe two last rounds :D

I want some more Tomatoes, and I have a few varieties of peppers I am determined to get in the ground - galapagoence for one... Brain Strain for another. Both I have had ill luck starting.

Also I might take you up on your offer Mezo :D

The UPS person is equally frustrating down here....

My uncle with a similar name (I'm Kenneth G, he's Kenneth D - same last name) lives directly next door...

My address is 7235, his is 7241.

Two days in a row I've gotten packages from UPS - one was an awesome survival knife, the other was a full tang bowie (I like knives in case you didn't notice)... Any way, the brilliant UPS driver follows the drive way up to my house, sees where my car is parked, my open garage door, the sidewalk to the house from the garage, and thinks to him self... Gee, rather than deliver this to the address on the box, I think I'll take it someplace else. OOO look, there is someone elses house, I think I'll go over there.

Fortunately its my uncle, and he's trustworthy... But still, why why why why why doesn't he use his eyes, and drop the package off at the house on the label. I know my uncle buys a lot of stuff off amazon and such, so the UPS guy may recognize Ken, and think ahh, mobile on stilts. But still. Arg. I was going to call and raise heck over it, but my uncle said he'd addressed the guy already.

I was tempted though to leave the box at my uncles a few days, and then to call down there and let them know that I never got the package despite their tracking number saying delivered.

:hell: Just to get the guy in trouble. He's done this a couple of times now, and I've talked to him once, and called down to UPS and informed them once, and still dumb dumb does the same thing.

arg. arg. arg. arg. arg.

/end rant/

I don't mind the Australian pines too much - I keep them in check with the tractor pretty well so long as I mow every few weeks. I cut down some saplings to use as weed control in the smaller of the pepper gardens, and it worked wonders... every where there was a sapling, the weeds didn't grow, everywhere else the weeds grew with vigor.

The pines act as a buffer to keep the Lime dust down when it hasn't rained in a while. I considered cutting them all down, and replacing them with the much more atractive (albeit messier) golden rain trees, but decided it would take too much time and effort to cut down the Aus Pines.

@ Mezo - No snakes here-let's keep it that way : )

Hey Paul- takes longer and longer to make the glog rounds these days-which means all is going really well with everyone-and thats a good thing! Looks like you will have plenty of ammo for when the weather decides to cooperate with you! Are going to go with pots or ground when the time comes?
Good to see you are starting more seeds..makes me feel less crazy for wanting "one more round"!
Cheers-
Dave

Hey, Dave, thanks for stopping by. Crazy is as crazy does :crazy: :lol: Go for it, dude!
I'll be putting plants into containers. Mostly 7 gallon, but some fives, and I have
4 or 5 big ones for some special plants that like to get big!

Good growing to you, Dave!

I am starting one last maybe two last rounds :D

I want some more Tomatoes, and I have a few varieties of peppers I am determined to get in the ground - galapagoence for one... Brain Strain for another. Both I have had ill luck starting.

Great rationalization. Let's face it, you're hooked :D
Good luck with your 'toughies', Ken! Thanks for visiting.

PS: Sounds like the delivery route from hell!

Hey Paul, great blog...Not to hijack, but where did you get your rocoto, Inca red drop, and Bolivian rainbow seeds?

Thanks, Scovi - it's a work in progress, for sure.
My Rocoto seeds came from Peppermania in a business card seed pack.
The Inca Red Drop also from Peppermania, and the Bolivian Rainbow from USHotStuff.

Glad you made it back safe and sound buddy! How was the trip?

Thanks, Shane. Had a great trip - practically summer weather. The snow was soft
and wet, but skiable. We skied in to a ski shelter, a three walled structure with a
wood stove and benches, and spent two nights there:
DSCN4216a.jpg

The view from the shelter (Middle and North Sister, Central Oregon Cascades):
DSCN4179a.jpg

We buried some Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond Pale Ale at the trailhead
for the after ski out toast!
DSCN4220a.jpg

BTW Shane, The Goat's Weed and Manzano seeds started hooking yester-
day and today!

Sounds like my kind of weekend Paul! The spring snow might be wet and heavy but not having to wrap up in so many layers makes it totally worth it! Thats a sweet Ski shack! Is that someones private place or does it belong to like a alpine club or something? Cant believe your Manzano seeds are popping that fast. Your got that germ thing down!

Back