• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

Paul,
Nice eye level shot of the plants...that shows no matter what container is used the plants will still perform.......with a little help from the man behind the wheel (barrel).

Beautiful photos of the Manzano's, I'm sitting here eating a "junk salad" and I swear I can taste those peppers.

The dish looks great !....perfect ingredients to also make empanadas, meat, raisens, hard boiled eggs and peppers.

Nice version of Rocoto Relleno. My wife is from Peru so we have relleno everything. Papas, Palta, Tomate, pimenta and I'm sure others though I can't think of any right now. I love Peruvian food! I hope my Rocotos and Manzanos produce as well as yours this year. Keep up the good work!

wow that looks great... :drooling:

Great way to use those last peppers (of your year round grow) and a tribute to your season last year!
That grow shelf is looking good to - you'll be ready for plant out again!
I can't wait for plant out, my friend! Seems like months away ;)
I have to admit that in my wildest imagination I would not have thought
I'd be harvesting the last pods at this time! At the beginning of last
season I didn't even know peppers could winter over.

Paul,
Nice eye level shot of the plants...that shows no matter what container is used the plants will still perform.......with a little help from the man behind the wheel (barrel). The plants are pretty forgiving. They probably grow in spite of what I do :lol:

Beautiful photos of the Manzano's, I'm sitting here eating a "junk salad" and I swear I can taste those peppers. Glad to be of some small service, buddy!

The dish looks great !....perfect ingredients to also make empanadas, meat, raisens, hard boiled eggs and peppers.
Hey, Greg! It was muy rico, as they say! I can't really take much credit for it,
the stuffing was the dish!

Nice version of Rocoto Relleno. My wife is from Peru so we have relleno everything. Papas, Palta, Tomate, pimenta and I'm sure others though I can't think of any right now. I love Peruvian food! I hope my Rocotos and Manzanos produce as well as yours this year. Keep up the good work!
I envy your dining situation! We have a great peruvian restaurant
here in Portland called Andina - top notch food! Good luck getting
those pubescens to flourish. I was happy to get a few pods last
season; hopefully I'll get better production this year.

Nicely done Paul...grow to table! Don't worry...adding a little heat to the weather will pour a little heat into those pods. Podding on the noobs too! You're living like a king!
Just living lucky I guess, Shane! I'm rooting for the grow season to begin,
that's for sure! Hope it's all good in sunny SoCal!

Now you have made me a very happy girl :dance: FOODIE PICSSSSSSS YUMMM that looked delicious.
You are very easy to please, my friend :lol:

Nice eye line perspective Mr G!! How about those aged on the plant pods ... 4 month vintage ... like extra tasty crumbly aged chedder or a nice bottle of Gimblett Gravels Syrah from Hawkes Bay in New Zealand aged for 6 years ... some things are just worth waiting for :D

Nice eye line perspective Mr G!! How about those aged on the plant pods ... 4 month vintage ... like extra tasty crumbly aged chedder or a nice bottle of Gimblett Gravels Syrah from Hawkes Bay in New Zealand aged for 6 years ... some things are just worth waiting for :D
Hey, thanks, Trippa. And quite a wait it was! Both those
pods set after I moved the plant into the greenhouse last Oct. 21.
I guess that makes it 5 and-a-half months!

On another note, I tried your method of rooting cuttings. Of
the three I started on Feb. 1, one produced roots. The first
root showed up on March 18. This picture was taken today,
so we are at about 10 weeks:
DSCN5308a_zpsbc8c515e.jpg

Here's the plant nestled into a 6" pot with some Fox
Farms soil. I tried to be careful about damaging the
roots; time will tell. Hope it manages to take hold and
grow out. The growth at the bottom and the first node
started after I put the cutting in the water:
DSCN5311a_zps56d36949.jpg

These seedlings have all forked and started producing small flower buds. I potted them
up to the 1- gallon Root Pouches a couple of days ago. Will pot up a few more tomorrow:
DSCN5300a_zps6eca4a84.jpg

Left to right: Pointed Yellow Habanero, Orange Rocoto, Marconi Rosso, Naga Morich,
Fatali/Savina.

Thanks for looking, everyone. I hope all of you are having a great weekend. I'm watching the
Trailblazers struggle against Houston, and no beer in the house! Ouch!

Dude, it is about time you gave us an update...geez! ;)

Seriously though, those stuffed Rocotos looked awesome! Loved the "plant's eye view," and the first pod of the season, yay!

Up-potting today...pods tomorrow. Yup, I think that's how it works!

Thanks for the update!

Nice to see you got a result with one cutting at least. I find it helps if you peel the outer layer from the stem up one side only (about a quarter of the circumferance total) from the diagonal cut to the first node past the bottom node(assuming you have cut the stem from below a node) if you don't have a second node simply about 2-3 cms is fine

Good looking starts Paul...oh, and sorry for your loss to the Rockets yesterday. :liar:
Yeah, the Blazers lost their last 13 games, I believe. We're looking forward to 'next year'!

Hey buddy where you at?
Hey, friend. Sorry to be so neglectful of my pals on the forum. We were
in Washington, D.C. last week for five days, visiting my daughter. The weather
has been decent here, so my computer time has been really shriveled. I just
haven't spent much time with my peooers, either; just sort of letting them fly
solo. Some look pretty good, others a bit peaked, but you can see in the photos
below. Hope all is good in Poway.

Dude, it is about time you gave us an update...geez! ;)
I guess the situation hasn't improved much, has it! :lol:
Seriously though, those stuffed Rocotos looked awesome! Loved the "plant's eye view," and the first pod of the season, yay!

Up-potting today...pods tomorrow. Yup, I think that's how it works!
Yeah, that's the ticket!
Thanks for the update!
Hey, Brent! Unfortunately, the Marconi Rosso suffered greatly in my absence,
and I came back to a severely wilted plant. In hindsight, I should have removed
the big pod before I left. I think my buddy overwatered it and it was in a hot part
of the greenhouse. I'm trying to rehabilitate it now, but it has lost almost all of it's
leaves. Have been battling aphids, too, after two seasons with very few of them.
Yuk. My thumb is covered with squished bugs :lol: I hope your grow is rockin', bro!

Nice to see you got a result with one cutting at least. I find it helps if you peel the outer layer from the stem up one side only (about a quarter of the circumferance total) from the diagonal cut to the first node past the bottom node(assuming you have cut the stem from below a node) if you don't have a second node simply about 2-3 cms is fine
Hey, Tristen, I am trying your trick with a manzano branch. Unfortunately,
the Tepin cutting croaked almost immediately after planting it; I guess it wasn't ready,
yet. If the Manzano roots, I will let it develop a lot more roots before planting it. There are
some of your seed progeny in the pic below.

Beautiful plant pics, stuffed pepper to die for and roots in a cup … awesome! Hats off mon \o_
Ramon! Glad you stopped by. Hope your grow is proceeding well.

Here are a couple of photos. I've got the plants outside for now. Night temps
in low 40,s, but some high 70's during the day.

DSCN5369a_zpsa025deab.jpg

These are some new seedlings I started with the express purpose of finishing out their grow in the greenhouse this Fall.
Varieties are Market Honduran Mountain Pepper, Chocolate Habanero, Goat's Weed (Shane's original seed, my harvest),
Market Bushy Aji Amarillo (I hope this is true to the parent plant; very bushy and not 7 feet tall!), and Manzano (seed from
the Manzano that overwintered in the greenhouse, Shane' seed. I'll get a pic of the Rocotos/Manzanos later.

DSCN5370a_zps8b8bfdce.jpg

These gallon root pouches have been outside for 4 days. I think the hot afternoons on the shelf above the deck were a little too much for some of them. Their leaves look kind of off-color and brassy. Some leaves had sun scald. I gave them their first taste of fish and guano liquid in the soil yesterday, and they got a foliar spray of kelp yesterday evening. The 3 gallon pot is an OW Congo Trinidad Red trying to branch out. It's Choco Hab partner did not survive it's transplant into a three gallon root pouch.

DSCN5371a_zps0724ce1a.jpg

These OWs appear to be successful, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet. From left to right, NuMex Twilight (Siliman's seed), Wild Texas Tepin (THSC), Black Pearl (THSC), Fatali, and Wild Brazil (Shane's seed). They look pretty good, considering. They got a hit of fish and guano, as well. They hadn't been fed yet this season.

Okay, I know it's not much, but I'll be back with pubescens pics later. Hope everybody is well, and thanks for looking in.

OW’s and plants looking good in pictures. While you say some of the plant leaves are off color I think you’ll be able to get past that without a hitch with your mad skills. Keep dem updates coming \o/

Back