• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

Hi Paul, nice to see some color on your Habs and Savina, and the Marconi Rosso beefing up. I started mine earlier, and the pods are full-sized... about 10 inches long to almost a  foot, but they don't seem to be ripening at all. I hope that means they're bulking up the flesh inside and getting sweeter before that. The other pics are great too, It looks like summer has finally come to you and everything's lovin' it!

+ 1 to Scott's comment. I forgot to shoot small pods (very small but there) on Red Manzano today. But then we exchanged weather with y'all. I know you're in Oregon but lately I've been answering phone, "Seattle, Southeast. How may I help you?" Ironically, old friend, "the drummer" with the former band based in Austin was calling from Seattle to chat. Pam deadpanned: "It's really sunny and nice here."

Those pubs are just gorgeous Paul, as are the rest! :party:

stc3248 said:
Looking good Paul! Coloring up...yee haw! Can't wait for your next pod tasting adventure story!!!

The first Dragonfly looks like a Blue Dasher....the scientific name for that one is kinda funny. The other is hard to tell without a shot of rest of him...

Keep 'em green brotha!
Thanks, Shane!  A little color goes a long way this time of the season!
It will be awhile for stories, buddy!  I have had several little orange pods off
the Fatali/Savina and they had surprising good heat and flsvor
with my steak!

You are right about the dragonfly, on both counts   :lol:

wahlee76 said:
Beatiful plamt you have there. Love how the Goat's weed looks.
I have seeds of that plant for a couple of years, but never grown it. Every time I see a goat's weed I tell myself to gow it, but for some reason still haven't.
Thanks, Wally, and welcome to the forum!

The Goat's Weeds are a beautiful plant, indeed.  The pods
make great ristas, and the seeds dry nicely in them.

stickman said:
Hi Paul, nice to see some color on your Habs and Savina, and the Marconi Rosso beefing up. I started mine earlier, and the pods are full-sized... about 10 inches long to almost a  foot, but they don't seem to be ripening at all. I hope that means they're bulking up the flesh inside and getting sweeter before that. The other pics are great too, It looks like summer has finally come to you and everything's lovin' it!
Indeed, Rick, the weather finally feels like summer.  

The Marconis are okay green, but the ripe red ones have awesome flavor.  
Hope you get to enjoy them soon!

Trippa said:
Very Nice photos and the plants look very happy Paul.  I see lots of Yellow 7 pot/pods in your future !
Thanks, Tristen, all the seeds you sent are doing very well.  
Really looking foreward to the others begonning to pod up!

Devv said:
Glad to see some color in your neck of the woods!

You guys in the cooler climates have to be especially talented to get these kinds of results, well done!
Thanks, my friend, but can't take all the credit.  Andy's boss has some say in the matter, as well!

So the pubes grow better in the shade and partial sun? I'm thinking of trying some next season..
Yeah, it's about time for something besides green pods!

IT seems like the Rocotos and Manzanos do much better in
shade - several other folk on the forum have reported the
same thing.  Who knew?  Actually it means I now have
more places to grow peppers in the yard!

Good luck getting some pubescens going.

annie57 said:
+ 1 to Scott's comment. I forgot to shoot small pods (very small but there) on Red Manzano today. But then we exchanged weather with y'all. I know you're in Oregon but lately I've been answering phone, "Seattle, Southeast. How may I help you?" Ironically, old friend, "the drummer" with the former band based in Austin was calling from Seattle to chat. Pam deadpanned: "It's really sunny and nice here."

Those pubs are just gorgeous Paul, as are the rest! :party:
Sorry, Annie, but we need some decent weather, too   ;)

Thanks for the nice feedback.

Here are a couple of more dragonflies.  The first two pictures are the same insect I haven't been
able to identify yet.

_DSC0157a_zpsad0ef191.jpg

_DSC0162a_zpsc6904bf1.jpg

Red Flame Skimmer:
_DSC0228red-flame-skinnera_zps2d169011.jpg

Eight Spotted Skimmer:
_DSC02448spottrd-skimmera_zps261bc52c.jpg

Just for the sake of records-keeping, final list of plants in this season's grow.
There are 43 plants and 35 varieties, not counting the volunteer 'Tepin 15'

OW Plants (7):
Fatali (Peppermania)
Congo Trinidad Red (Peppermania)
Manzano (Shane)
'Wild Brazil' (Shane)
NuMex Twilight (Siliman/CPI)
'Black Pearl' (THSC)
Wild Texas Tepin (THSC)
Round One Plants (23):
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Trippa)
Devil's Tongue (US HotStuff)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Trippa)
Bahamian Goat (Trippa)
Yellow 7 (Trippa)
Jamaican Red Mushroom (Ferry Morse)
Fatali/Savina (Spankycolts)
Bih Jolokia (Spankycolts)
Naga Morich (Spankycolts)
Red Savina (Peppermania)
Orange Habanero (CPI)
Red Habanero (CPI)
Giant White Habanero x2 (Spankycolts) 
Pointed Yellow Habanero (Spankycolts)
Peruvian White Habanero (Spankycolts)
Congo Trinidad Red x2 (Peppermania)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda)
Rocoto x 2
Costeno Amarillo (SoCal Chilihead)
Marconi Rosso (Hume)
Round Two Plants (7):
Goat's Weed x2 (Shane)
Manzano (Shane)
Aji Amarillo (Peruvian Market)
Chocolate Habanero x2, one is a clone (Refining Fire)
Honduran Market Mountain Pepper (Roatan, Honduras)
Round Three Plants (6):
Trinidad Red Scotch Bonnet x 2 (Pulpiteer)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet x2 (Pulpiteer)
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet x2 (SoCal Chilihead?)
(one had top broken off in wind last night)

You've got quite a selection of dragonflies, Paul, very cool. Is your area one that is known for that? That red one is really beautiful.

Pulpiteer said:
You've got quite a selection of dragonflies, Paul, very cool. Is your area one that is known for that? That red one is really beautiful.
Hey, Andy.  I think there are about 40-50 species of dragonfly/damselfly in
Oregon, but not that many where we live, I'm sure.  We have a few small
bodies of water in the neighborhood so we get visitors in the yard from
those populations.  There are a bunch I haven't photographed, yet.  Would
almost make having a water feature in the landscaping to support dragonfly
populations worthwhile!

edit:  Dude!  Your new profile pic is awesome!

PaulG said:
Glad you found them to your liking, Scott!
You must have a few down your way!
I see them when we float the river, they land on us all the time. Unfortunately I don't see any in the garden. However I did see a humming bird the other day while picking...too fast for me to get a shot!

Fantabulous. Dang nabbit everything looks fantastic. I finally caught up (again) and I'm glad to see the Manzano Denniz sent me looks as good as yours and my Goatsweed also. I am out of town headed home right now and can't wait to see if I have a pod or two on those two plants. Looking good my friend. Keep up the great grow

Wow Paul I really got behind here my apologies … great colorful pictures of the plants and pods. I really love the look of your Fatali/Savina pods that are ripening. The leaves on the Manzano look perfect and I love the look of the flower … pods too \o/

Almost forgot great dragonfly pics, we’re getting a bunch around here too but I think there are only 2 varieties although I don’t know much about them.

Keep up da great grow and have a great soon come weekend :)

Devv said:
I see them when we float the river, they land on us all the time. Unfortunately I don't see any in the garden. However I did see a humming bird the other day while picking...too fast for me to get a shot!
My dad liked photographing hummingbirds.  He'd set up his
camera w/ telephoto lens focused on a particular flower, and
then sit in the sun with a beer waiting for one to feed on the
flower, then he'd trip the shutter with his cable release.  He
got some awesome images that way.  And had a great time!
Scarecrw said:
25 pages later and my knowledge base has grown exponentially. thanks for entertaining my morning. Nice glog.
Thanks, Scarecrw.  You have infinite patience, my friend!  I'm glad
you enjoyed spending some time here.  The stuff other people add
to the conversation is what makes it interesting!
Trippa said:
Pictorial Updates??? ;)
stickman said:
Yes please! Inquiring minds want to know... ;)
Okay, okay.  There are pix to follow, but as usual they are
already six days old.  I have to figure out a new system   ;)

Thanks for your patience   :D

Sanarda said:
Fantabulous. Dang nabbit everything looks fantastic. I finally caught up (again) and I'm glad to see the Manzano Denniz sent me looks as good as yours and my Goatsweed also. I am out of town headed home right now and can't wait to see if I have a pod or two on those two plants. Looking good my friend. Keep up the great grow
You are too kind, as always, Pia, but thank you!
I hope you found lots of pods when you got home!

Good growin' in Jersey!

WalkGood said:
Wow Paul I really got behind here my apologies … great colorful pictures of the plants and pods. I really love the look of your Fatali/Savina pods that are ripening. The leaves on the Manzano look perfect and I love the look of the flower … pods too \o/

Almost forgot great dragonfly pics, we’re getting a bunch around here too but I think there are only 2 varieties although I don’t know much about them.

Keep up da great grow and have a great soon come weekend :)
Hey, Ramon!  No apologies necessary - I'm the worst
offender in the 'visiting glogs' category!  Thanks for the
comments.  Those Fatali/Savina pods are downright scary.  
Great big and Orange.  Last year the pods were red and
looked like habanero/savinas.  Wonder what next generation
will bring?

Hope the grow continues to go well for you, buddy.

The Chocolate Hab clone is growing fast.  I have transplanted it into a three
gallon Root Pouch since this pic was taken:
_DSC0246a_zps0b5e753d.jpg

These Fatali/Savina pods have since turned completely orange.  All of the newly set pods
have the same phenotype as these:
_DSC0259a_zps35f7b20b.jpg

Had an extra spot for a plant on the drip system. and picked up this quartet of Mucho Nachos
up at our local Kroger chain store.  They since have grown up about an inch or two above
the next ring on the cage:
_DSC0248a_zps6030eaf8.jpg

Also found these Purple Flash (also from Bonnie's).  They remind me of Explosive Ember
except the leaves start out green and white variegated.  The Green turns dark purple in
the sun, and the white turns sort of a neon purple.  Very interesting effect.
_DSC0249a_zps128fc93c.jpg

Congo Trinidad Red, pinch top, in 3 gallon Root Pouch.  Really setting pods now:
_DSC0250a_zpsd3e4e92a.jpg

In-ground Congo Trinidad Red also getting in gear:
_DSC0245a_zps25ce09f0.jpg

Giant White Habanero, early pods.  Nice heat and a genuine apricot scent
when sliced open.  I'm saving the biggest one for a steak!
_DSC0266a_zps067218d4.jpg

These are three early pods from the GWH.  The middle one reminds me of a little pumpkin:
_DSC0269a_zps96fac324.jpg

Guess which burger is mine   ;) :
_DSC0307a_zps9d0d9fcf.jpg

This Goat's Weed was about 32 inches high 6 days ago and has
grown more since then.  For some reason this one is a real sky-
rocket.  The ruler is 30" long:
_DSC0292a_zps32c37d5d.jpg

We have had a full 30 days of summer weather in a row since July 1,
with more on the way.  The average high temp in my back yard for
July 1-30 was over 86˚F (about 30˚C).   Looks like a week of slightly
milder weather ahead.

I have another mini-update that I'll post later.  Thanks for looking.  

Dang, nice to see a post from ya Paul! That GW almost doesn't look like a pepper with how tall that shoot got. Are those "not" GWH or do they just ripen orange that way? Love the dragon fly pics, saw a lot of different varieties myself up in Michigan. PODS PODS PODS. Hope the season keeps hammering away for you.

My little Goatsweed, which was a late start, is doing the same thing. I actually need to stake it. I killed my first two and had two that I started late. One of those is super healthy and grew at least 4 inches in two days due to my stinky fish tank soup. Ahahaaaa

Great update Paul, via the pictures the plants look like they are loving your summer weather, temps sound great. The leaves and over all look of your choco hab and others look so lush! I love that look, great green thumb mon! Have you tried the orange Fatali/Savina pods yet? I bet they have some serious heat :)

Keep an eye on that Mucho Nacho, I think she’s eyeing the PBR, lol … ;)

Very cool description on your Purple Flash and the color change does sound interesting, looking forward to seeing how the flowers on her look down the line and the pods to boot.

I see dem Congo Trinidad pods, bet you can’t wait for them to redden up. They have me salivating for some red heat … and GWH, what happen to the color? Are they nots? Regardless I love da look and I’m sure the orange are super tasty, especially on your burger. I use to do the same with my burgers and still do in a pinch but lately I’ve been mixing in the chopped pepper and onion into the meat before cooking, gives it a little different effect but both are great … dam you now I’m hungry, hehe.

Wow your Goat’s Weed is really stretching for da sky, how much sol does she get? I bet she’ll be a tall girl!

Everything looks great, the pics, plants & foodie … awesome job, keep up dat great work and looking forward to your follow upI update ^_^

Have a great hump day!

Yum...Burgers and Beer.
Pretty unique growth with the Goat's Weed. There's plenty of spacing between the leaf sets.
Does the plant receive ample sunlight , it appears to be stretching.

Nice work with the Hab clone. Taking the cutting from the main stem always seems to root faster than any of the side branching. That should end up being a bushy plant.

The Fatalii cross has podded up nicely. There's a good amount of "Habish" heat with those.

Haven't grown the GWH before but it does look similar to the Rotan Pumkins I've grown in the past.

The Congo Trinidads are high on my list when making hot sauce. As with any sauce once it calms down and mellows out the true flavor appears...my go to red sauce when dashing up a slice of pizza.

I like the the story about the Hummingbird photography. The cable release is a handy device whether its wire or air release, which is used for longer distances. I use to lock up the mirror in the camera for extended time exposures and clamp down the cable,that made it easy to walk away and come back minutes or hrs later.
Also have an rf transmitter for my medium format equip. That worked well when the camera could be set-up but the photographer had to be out of sight and out of (his) mind....lol

Paul thanks for the update, I'm glad your garden looks happy.

Back