• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

3/5King said:
Dang, nice to see a post from ya Paul! That GW almost doesn't look like a pepper with how tall that shoot got. Are those "not" GWH or do they just ripen orange that way? Love the dragon fly pics, saw a lot of different varieties myself up in Michigan. PODS PODS PODS. Hope the season keeps hammering away for you.
David!  Dude your running, etc exploits are awesome!  Way to go.

The GW def is tall, allright.  It has finally forked and the branches are growing out fast
The GWH had big yellow pods on it last season.  This is the next gen and it's showing 
orange, like the Fatali/Savina.  Both are next gen plants from plants Spankycolts gave
me last season.   We're still early in the summer season here, so perhaps there will be
more surprises in store!
Sanarda said:
My little Goatsweed, which was a late start, is doing the same thing. I actually need to stake it. I killed my first two and had two that I started late. One of those is super healthy and grew at least 4 inches in two days due to my stinky fish tank soup. Ahahaaaa
Hi, Pia!  If that GW wasn't staked up, it would be growing horizontal!
I'm not surprised at the growth rate on yours, especially with a nice
afternoon tea   ;)

PIC 1 said:
Yum...Burgers and Beer.
Pretty unique growth with the Goat's Weed. There's plenty of spacing between the leaf sets.
Does the plant receive ample sunlight , it appears to be stretching.
The GW was gettting about 2-3 hours of direct morning sun, then mid-day dappled sunlight, and some direct sun in the late afternoon.  It wilted badly every day.  The second GW has a typical growth habit, but is more sun tolerant.  I moved the big one to a shadier location, and it looks much happier and robust.
Nice work with the Hab clone. Taking the cutting from the main stem always seems to root faster than any of the side branching. That should end up being a bushy plant.
It will definitely be a late Fall producer.  I put it in a three-gal so it would be easier to put in the greenhouse for final pod ripening - at least that's the plan!
The Fatalii cross has podded up nicely. There's a good amount of "Habish" heat with those.
The little premie pods I ate from it (small, orange, and hab-looking) had impressive heat for the early pods.
Haven't grown the GWH before but it does look similar to the Rotan Pumkins I've grown in the past.
I'm not sure how many gens of plants this one is since it came to me as a plant last year.  I'm not sure what GWH actually is, I've seen in some posts that it might be similar to some other pepper.  Spanky never told me the plant's history, so it's a mystery!   Last year it produced some awesome stinger pods.
The Congo Trinidads are high on my list when making hot sauce. As with any sauce once it calms down and mellows out the true flavor appears...my go to red sauce when dashing up a slice of pizza.
One of my best producers last year.  That's why I have three this year!
I like the the story about the Hummingbird photography. The cable release is a handy device whether its wire or air release, which is used for longer distances. I use to lock up the mirror in the camera for extended time exposures and clamp down the cable,that made it easy to walk away and come back minutes or hrs later.
Also have an rf transmitter for my medium format equip. That worked well when the camera could be set-up but the photographer had to be out of sight and out of (his) mind....lol
What medium format 6x7cm?  My dad also used a 4x5inch view Calumet view camera for a number of years, but went back to 35mm later.  I still have his transparencies and negatives from the 4x5 days.
Paul thanks for the update, I'm glad your garden looks happy.
Greg!  Brother!  If my garden looks happy, yours is absolutely
ecstatic!  Thanks for the visit, bud.
The Round Two Chocolate Habanero.  This plant is growing stout as a Doug Fir!  The forks have really extended since this photo on the 24th:
_DSC0293a_zpsb71ca6c5.jpg

Some of the leaves are pushing 8 inches in length.  There are two leaves with
a little chew hole in them    :banghead: :
_DSC0287a_zps1b397075.jpg

The Yellow Seven pods are getting large, about an inch-and-a-half in
length (3.6cm):
_DSC0264a_zpsf2241158.jpg

Two more of the biggies.  There are many more on the way:
_DSC0265a_zps3f1fc5e8.jpg

A helpful dragonfly lunches on an insect that was threatening the pepper plants   :D :
_DSC0304a_zpsee1b912b.jpg

Nice shot of an eight spotted skimmer:
_DSC0244eightspotskimmera_zps98ed71a2.jpg

Haven't been able to i.d. this one, yet.  The green shading on the wing spots and tips is something
I haven't seen before:
_DSC0258a_zps90d636dd.jpg

Another view in case someone might recognize it:
_DSC0302a_zpsd42f12bb.jpg

Okay, that's it for now.  Gotta get out and do some watering!

Hope everyone is having a good week and that the 'Gods of Pods' are smiling on you!

Hey Paul,
I used mainly Mamiya RB/RZ's 6x7's also 2 1/4 Hasselblad's.....but have worked with Calumets and Speed Graphics amongest others. My preference for 35mm has always been with the Nikon series......well prior to anything automatic or digital. Eastman Kodak used to be based here, now I believe the building is a condo complex....good ole days

PIC 1 said:
Hey Paul,
I used mainly Mamiya RB/RZ's 6x7's also 2 1/4 Hasselblad's.....but have worked with Calumets and Speed Graphics amongest others. My preference for 35mm has always been with the Nikon series......well prior to anything automatic or digital. Eastman Kodak used to be based here, now I believe the building is a condo complex....good ole days
Nice list of equipment there, bro!  My dad used Leicaflex SL's which he
handed down to me when he went to 4x5.  When he went back to 35mm,
he went with Nikon.  I still have his Nikons - two fully equipped, including
bellows and lenses FE's, I believe.  When he got into digital, he went with
Nikon Dxxx series, and I wound up with his D300S and lenses.  Sweet camera!

When was Eastman Kodak in Chicago? I always thought Rochester, NY was their home.

PaulG said:
_DSC0266a_zps067218d4.jpg

These are three early pods from the GWH.  The middle one reminds me of a little pumpkin:
_DSC0269a_zps96fac324.jpg

Guess which burger is mine   ;) :
_DSC0307a_zps9d0d9fcf.jpg
That orange/peach color just pops in those pictures.  That burger shot almost looks like a black and white with color for the peppers - very cool.  How did it taste?

Pulpiteer said:
That orange/peach color just pops in those pictures.  That burger shot almost looks like a black and white with color for the peppers - very cool.  How did it taste?
The taste was not as good as the heat, although def fruity hints.
The burger was awesome!
These early pods are a good indicator for the mature plant pods,
I hope.  Will be interesting to see if they ripen orange, too, or
revert back to the yellow color.

windchicken said:
Beautiful plants and poddage, Paul...Congrats on some very nice work! I love me some Yellow 7s!
Hey, Gary, thanks.  The Yellow 7 Jamie sent was one of my favorite pods last year.  
I have high hopes for this one!  Be happy to send some seeds when these ripen   :party:

Lol...Jamie is the very guy who turned me onto the Yellow 7, back in 2011!

Far and away my favorite of the super hots—excellent flavor, heat, and aroma, and baskets full of massive bright yellow pods on huge, bushy plants....

Nice updates Paul!

Plants all look like they're enjoying the beautiful weather you're having.

Photography is out standing!

Like the Humming bird story, I have a few pics I've taken...somewhere, none are close ups though. I have this beautiful bird that comes by called a Green Jay, he's very shy dude, and I've only been able to shoot him from inside the house and the pics were terrible...one of these days....

Keep up the good work!

windchicken said:
Lol...Jamie is the very guy who turned me onto the Yellow 7, back in 2011!

Far and away my favorite of the super hots—excellent flavor, heat, and aroma, and baskets full of massive bright yellow pods on huge, bushy plants....
Now, there's a legend for ya!

Gotta agree on all counts  :fireball:

Devv said:
Nice updates Paul!

Plants all look like they're enjoying the beautiful weather you're having.

Photography is out standing!

Like the Humming bird story, I have a few pics I've taken...somewhere, none are close ups though. I have this beautiful bird that comes by called a Green Jay, he's very shy dude, and I've only been able to shoot him from inside the house and the pics were terrible...one of these days....

Keep up the good work!
Hey, Scott.  Wildlife photography can be very challenging, indeed.

The weather has just about everybody happy around here    :cool:    :party:
I'm amazed we haven't had a thunder storm yet.  If this month had
been August/September, with these temps, we would have had some
by now!

Looking great Mr G!! Those yellow 7's are starting to look lumpy and bumpy!! If I am not mistaken Paul I believe wind chicken is growing some THSC yellow 7s as well. So via weird tangents (ie myself and i am not sure where windchicken got his from) you are growing the same genetics...
Great shots of the dragonflys Paul!!

Nice brotha! Great pics, great food...ahhh. I grew a pod that looked exactly like those pumpkin looking GWHs last year...and it was delicious! A nice break from the crazy superhots that melt your face off. Your timing was really good this year. Not as early as many, but still cranking out some ripe ones. Great job! Your cloning skills continue to impress as well, nice save on you topped plant!

Trippa said:
Looking great Mr G!! Those yellow 7's are starting to look lumpy and bumpy!! If I am not mistaken Paul I believe wind chicken is growing some THSC yellow 7s as well. So via weird tangents (ie myself and i am not sure where windchicken got his from) you are growing the same genetics...
Great shots of the dragonflys Paul!!
Thank you, Tristen.  It will be interesting to compare the final products   :fireball:

GA Growhead said:
Cool shots!
Thanks, Growhead!

stc3248 said:
Nice brotha! Great pics, great food...ahhh. I grew a pod that looked exactly like those pumpkin looking GWHs last year...and it was delicious! A nice break from the crazy superhots that melt your face off. Your timing was really good this year. Not as early as many, but still cranking out some ripe ones. Great job! Your cloning skills continue to impress as well, nice save on you topped plant!
Thanks, my friend!  I'm hoping we get a nice long grow season.
I think my grow would benefit from a lighting upgrade to avoid the
early Spring stall out here in PNW.  I'm thinking of lights like the CFL
bar you put together last year.  My growshelf is only 15"x8'x2', so
am not sure how many of the 100W CFL's I'd need.

:rofl: The two clones that lived look great!

Here's what was cookin' last night; two nice tri tip roasts:
_DSC0310a_zps81beb158.jpg

To go with the meat, some of Salsa Lady's wonderful, flavorful sauces and a great sauce Melissa
sent with some pods last year.  The little homemade shakers have a variety of powders - peach hab,
choco hab, fatali/savina, yellow peach mix (Brent).  The pods are my first 'harvest' - Red Hab (very hot),
Fata;i/Savina, Giant White Hab, Pointed Yellow Hab:
_DSC0309a_zpsf492b5ab.jpg

Thanks for visiting, friends.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Devv said:
Life is good in the North West for sure!
It's definitely a step in the right direction, Scott!

Have a great weekend, brah!

The answer to your light question is...AS MANY AS WILL FIT!!!  :rofl: Fine looking meal there to accompany those tasty little firecrackers...and some wine to help level off the burn...ahhhh. Must've been a fine night at the Paul's G-Spot!

Hi Paul!  Enjoyed getting caught up on your glog!!!  Your season looks like it is going well for you.

We get a few dragonflies here, which surprises me as dry as it is, but I have never tried to catch one on camera.  I'll have to do that, so you can help me identity them.

Didn't know about the lack of sun tolerance on the pubescens.  Guess I'll have to do things a bit different next year.  I put my Yellow Manzano at the comm. garden where it is in full sun from sunrise to sunset.    :banghead:   The poor thing looks a little rough.  It was blooming when I planted it out, it changed it's mind about that for about a month, and seemed to be just sitting there pouting.  Now it's finally putting on some growth and starting to bloom again, so I'm hoping to see some pod set soon.  My Goat Weeds are there too though, and don't seem to mind that amount of sun.  One of them is almost 4' tall now, and setting pods pretty heavily.

When I was reading about your Bonnie's Purple Flash above, it took me a second to realize you were talking about that OTHER Bonnie!   :rofl:  I was thinking to myself, did I send him some seeds? Oooooh ....

stc3248 said:
The answer to your light question is...AS MANY AS WILL FIT!!!  :rofl: Fine looking meal there to accompany those tasty little firecrackers...and some wine to help level off the burn...ahhhh. Must've been a fine night at the Paul's G-Spot!
Haha   :lol: j I do worry a little bit about heat in such a small space.
I was thinking one socket every 12" or so.  If I do y-sockets
that would give me 16 - overkill?  If every other socket was a
single, then I'd have 12.  

The tri-tip's were great with the sauces and pods.  Didn't get into
the Fatali/Savina, gave that one to a neighbor.  

Have a great weekend, Shane - hope you have a big enough
box for all the pods you'll pull! 
highalt said:
Hi Paul!  Enjoyed getting caught up on your glog!!!  Your season looks like it is going well for you.
Thanks, Bonnie.   So far, so good.  Knock on wood!
We get a few dragonflies here, which surprises me as dry as it is, but I have never tried to catch one on camera.  I'll have to do that, so you can help me identity them.  There are some great region-specific dragonfly sites on the web.

Didn't know about the lack of sun tolerance on the pubescens.  Guess I'll have to do things a bit different next year.  I put my Yellow Manzano at the comm. garden where it is in full sun from sunrise to sunset.    :banghead:   The poor thing looks a little rough.  It was blooming when I planted it out, it changed it's mind about that for about a month, and seemed to be just sitting there pouting.  Now it's finally putting on some growth and starting to bloom again, so I'm hoping to see some pod set soon.  My Goat Weeds are there too though, and don't seem to mind that amount of sun.  One of them is almost 4' tall now, and setting pods pretty heavily.

When I was reading about your Bonnie's Purple Flash above, it took me a second to realize you were talking about that OTHER Bonnie!   :rofl:  I was thinking to myself, did I send him some seeds? Oooooh ....  That is too funny!
Last year, I had my Orange Rocoto in full sun, an it produced 6 pods
and looked sick all summer.  This year, in the partial shade, it is reaching
for sun, but looks beautiful, with a zillion flowers but no pods.  The Manzano
seems to like the shade more, but is setting pods regularly.  I also notice some
growth habits differences between the Manzano and Rocoto in my small sample
of plants.

Hope the high desert is treating you well!

Sanarda said:
My Manzano and two Rocoto's are also in full sun and look horrible with no flowers or pods.  Lesson Learned.  Your pods look great BTW
Is it too late to move them to a shadier location?
Or maybe rig up some shade cloth of some kind?
I think Shane or ? used cheesecloth with good
effect.  Might be worth it; there's a lot of growing
season left     :party:

Back