• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

Pinoy83 said:
hope you liked it....the 2 orange powders they are the same, i just end up using 2 bags cus its to small
Well, buddy, they are A-W-E-S-O-M-E-!!!!!

stickman said:
Glad you liked the sauce/seeds... it's good to see Jericson back in the saddle too... Good luck with the surgery today!
Thanks, Rick. Yeah, Pinoy is bomb, allright!

Just had to get the page topper before going to the hospital!

Pinoy83 said:
good luck on ur surgery today make sure you bring some peppers with you so you got some snacks with heat :fireball:
Thanks, Jericson.  The surgery went well according to the doctor.
I'm a little sore today, but vicodin is helping with that   ;)   Doc says
six weeks to full recovery, meantime no lifting over 10 pounds until I
see him in 10 days.  I'll just have to harvest a little at a time.  
Right   :rofl: Ten pounds.

Got some more pods back from the gas chamber today.  Also have
stripped all my plants and put a bunch of pods in paper bags with
bananas for ripening up.

Bahamian Goats (Trippa):
_DSC0761a_zps62698a51.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques (Trippa):
_DSC0760a_zpsaaf07402.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM (Trippa):
_DSC0759a_zps816892f0.jpg

'Giant White Habanero' (Spankycolts) is still turning out awesome pods:
_DSC0758a_zpsd72faeba.jpg

Hope a good weekend is in progress for all!

Glad to hear you're home and taking it easy... Did you have them put in the mesh to re-enforce the abdominal wall when they did the repair? More nice looking "gassed" pods today... Best wishes for a quick recovery  Paul!

Devv said:
Glad to hear the surgery went well, man I hate surgery!

Yet more beautiful pods. You've done really well this season for sure!

Rest up bro!
Thanks, Scott.

It's not my favorite thing, either.  Only my third one - first was a tonsilectomy
when I was a kid.  Anyone here old enough to remember the smell of ether? -
so I don't have a lot of experience!  

The season has turned out well after all is said and done.  I'll be weighing out
the dried pods when I'm done drying in a week or so, and then I'll have a good
idea of the total harvest.  Last year I had 3 1/4 pounds of dried pods.

It's going to be hard for me to just lay around.

stickman said:
Glad to hear you're home and taking it easy... Did you have them put in the mesh to re-enforce the abdominal wall when they did the repair? More nice looking "gassed" pods today... Best wishes for a quick recovery  Paul!
Thanks, Rick.  It was a laproscopic procedure with mesh, so I have
four holes in my abdominal wall for the devices.  I'm sure it will be
tender for a while.  Doc said the key to a successful result is not try-
ing to do too much too soon.  Dang.

Have a good weekend, fellas.

[SIZE=medium]Great to read the surgery went well, I wish you speedy recovery so your back to picking dem 10++ pulls \o/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]This last pull is awesome, love the pictures … they just make you want to eat one, love da colors on all, hab a great day![/SIZE]

Paul, I'm glad the surgery went smooth......laproscopic..........nothin wrong with some good ole, modern medicine methods..............can't live without them !

Those are some colorful looking pods. I like the Bahamian Goat look, peachy on the outside, white on the inside.
Bonda Ma Jacques always make my list, they're different tasting than any other yellow hab or congo.
Are your Giant White Habs ever cream colored ? I haven't grown them before. 
Enjoy your Sunday and take it easy....the doc knows best

GA Growhead said:
Glad to read that the surgery went well.
Just try to take it easy! I know that isn't easy to do.
Thanks, Jason.  At least I'm not laid up flat on my back!
Ibuprofen seems adequate to handle the post-op pain
so far, so I guess it can't be too bad.  They gave me some
other stuff, but it makes me feel yukky   :sick:

WalkGood said:
[SIZE=medium]Great to read the surgery went well, I wish you speedy recovery so your back to picking dem 10++ pulls \o/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]This last pull is awesome, love the pictures … they just make you want to eat one, love da colors on all, hab a great day![/SIZE]
Thanks, Scott!  The pods just kept on coming toward the end of the season.  
Unreal.  I have a bunch in banana bags now, so still have some work to do!

Man. if you can eat one of those babies, you are a better man than I   :shocked:    :rofl:

PIC 1 said:
Paul, I'm glad the surgery went smooth......laproscopic..........nothin wrong with some good ole, modern medicine methods..............can't live without them !

Those are some colorful looking pods. I like the Bahamian Goat look, peachy on the outside, white on the inside.
Bonda Ma Jacques always make my list, they're different tasting than any other yellow hab or congo.
Are your Giant White Habs ever cream colored ? I haven't grown them before. 
Enjoy your Sunday and take it easy....the doc knows best
Surgery has come a long way, indeed, Greg.  And I for one, am glad!  I have four
.22cal-sized bullet holes in my abdominal wall.  Is this sort of what it feels like to get
shot?  Aside from all the internal damage a bullet causes   ;)

The giant White Habs have never been cream colored; the bush produced yellow
pods from the get-go.  However this generation produced more stinger pods than
the first plant that Spankycolts gave me.  I don't remember who said it looked more
like a yellow Cardi Scorp cross; I'll take their word for it   ;)

I'm really looking forward to trying some Bonda and Bahamian Goat powder.
Trippa did me good with those seeds!  PM me yur addy and I'll send some GWH
seeds your way.

Penny said:
Glad to hear that your surgery went well, and the pain is manageable for you....nice looking pods too. :P  Love the peach color of the Bahamian goats!
Thanks, Penny!  No pain, no gain, right?  
If Matt Gold can do it, so can I!  Nothing
like a little calf implant to get a few weeks off   :rofl:

The Bahamian Goats are great peppers - I'm being more and more
drawn to the non-red varieties, although I will always have to have
some kind of jolokia in the mix!

Thanks for the well wishes, folks.  

Just a quick update.  Took a few pods out of the banana bags today.  
They are ripening up decently.   Probably as good as the gas
chamber, but it holds a LOT of pods!

A big pile of Devil's Tongues, 5 Bahamian Goats, 4 Giant White Habs, and some Scotch Bonnet TFMs:
_DSC0762a_zps784beb09.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Jamaican Red Mushroom, Fatali x Savina,
Scotch Bonnet TFM, Red Hab, Orange Hab, Bahamian Goat:
_DSC0763a_zps5fac9f34.jpg

Paul, that is great that you are still dealing with ripening fresh peppers. There aren't many as far north as you are that can say the same. I guess living so close to the ocean does have its climate benefits. What is your area, like zone 8ish?

I've used the banana trick for a few years. Glad to see that you think it works about as good as a commercial gas chamber.

Glad you're ok Paul! Wow...you're sure packing in the late season pods and pages!!! I go MIA for a few weeks and come  back to page after page of awesomeness!!! I like your style Paul...your pics, garden and even your greenhouse are perfect...my stuff always starts out that way and just ends up a confused mess by mid season...Keep them pics coming, as long as that camera is less than 10lbs.

Nice way to finish the season Paul. I always learn something new reading your glog. My green/unripe pods were tilled under. Maybe next year. This is my second season drying pods to make powder. I removed the seeds last year for this years grow/trading. I didn't remove all the seeds this year ( bhut and paper lantern hab) just the ones from the nice pods. Is there a reason to remove seeds. ( taste )?
Thanks for all the knowledge I gain from your glog. Keep up the good work.

Penny said:
Nice bunch you got there Paul!! :dance:
:cheers:   Cheers, Penny!

Jeff H said:
Paul, that is great that you are still dealing with ripening fresh peppers. There aren't many as far north as you are that can say the same.   Luck has been holding, through no fault of my own   ;)   I guess living so close to the ocean does have its climate benefits. What is your area, like zone 8ish?

I've used the banana trick for a few years. Glad to see that you think it works about as good as a commercial gas chamber.
Hey Jeff, thanks for visiting.  We are more or less 8b, lowest temps 15-20˚F. 
Most normally lows dip into mid to high 20's, just like the next 7-10 days here,
lows forecast from 25 to 32 up and down.  This is definitely the end!  Thank
goodness    :rofl:   Time to prep the containers for winter    :mope:    Wait.    :party:

The banana'n'bag trick works pretty well for me, especially if there is at least 40-50%
color in the pods.   I need to check the bag every day and remove the pods that
are ripe enough so there is less chance of spoilage.  The 'Giant White Habs' are
especially susceptible to stem end rot after they re picked due to the wet Fall 
weather here.  Need to extend their season a bit more somehow.

stc3248 said:
Glad you're ok Paul! Wow...you're sure packing in the late season pods and pages!!! I go MIA for a few weeks and come  back to page after page of awesomeness!!! I like your style Paul...your pics, garden and even your greenhouse are perfect...my stuff always starts out that way and just ends up a confused mess by mid season...Keep them pics coming, as long as that camera is less than 10lbs.  I didn't realize how much we use our core muscles in just about every move!  I get some nice twinges when I turn just right - no way I'm tempting fate by lifting more than doc says!
Brother Shane!  The pods sort of dribble in in fits and starts!  But I'll take them   ;)  
Everything is pretty much off the bush and in ripening bags 

Thanks for the kind eye, my friend!  By shooting pics hand held, they are just
fuzzy enough to cover up all the rough edges.  Everything else goes under
the shelves!  You did have a bit of a wind issue to stir your grow up pretty good
this season!   You are still my role model, bud!

Scarecrw said:
Nice way to finish the season Paul. I always learn something new reading your glog. My green/unripe pods were tilled under. Maybe next year. This is my second season drying pods to make powder. I removed the seeds last year for this years grow/trading. I didn't remove all the seeds this year ( bhut and paper lantern hab) just the ones from the nice pods. Is there a reason to remove seeds. ( taste )?
Thanks for all the knowledge I gain from your glog. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, SC.  Glad you were able to find something useful.  Everything here is an experiment!
My second year drying and grinding too.  Last year I didn't take out the seeds before drying,
and it was really hard to separate the seeds after the pods were dry.  My little coffee grinder
just doesn't cut the seeds up fine enough for my taste.  I have to sift the grind to get out the
flakes as it is, so I thought deseeding might be easier up front.  The truth will be told when
these pods are ground and I can compare to last year's powders which have more seeds.

Thanks for the visit, Jeff!
Devv said:
Well done Paul! Those pods look great!

Remember to take it slow ;)
Thanks, Scott.  They are definitely better than frozen green pods!  I didn't
get the last few on the bushes today, so they will probably freeze if I don't
get them tomorrow.  There can't be more than a few on any of the bushes,
most are stripped.

I am moving pretty slow, for sure, but am happy it's not worse than it is.
The laproscopic surgery is the ticket, so far.

Pulled a few pods from the greenhouse plants today.  The Goats Weed (Shane) has fallen to aphids - stripped all the leaves, growth and pods off of it today.  Also took out some Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pulpiteer), Mountain Peppers, and a few Chocolate Habaneros.  With luck, more will ripen up in the enclosure:
_DSC0764a_zpse7621551.jpg

Making a rista from the Goat's Weeds.  They are excellent rista pods - thin walled and dry readily.  I hang ours on the patio door above a heat register so they dry without getting damp or soft:
_DSC0765a_zpse8a75da7.jpg

Last year's rista pods ready for storage, grinding.  The seeds from these pods germinated at near 100% for me this
season.  It's fun to pull a dry pod off the rista for some scrambled eggs or chili seasoning.  the GW is a great pod:
_DSC0766a_zps22b2d95b.jpg

Thanks for the visits, everybody.  Hope you are having a good week!

Back