• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Paul here's a plant (Caribbean Red)  outdoors in early June a few years ago. It started out as a branch cutting (8" long) with 4 unripe pods on it.. (the previous October),...I dipped the cutting in rooting hormone powder and planted it in a 50/50 mix of dampened vermiculite/perlite. The clone took within 3 weeks I was able to replant into a potting medium and bring indoors under flouros....Dam if I can find the photos but what I can say is all 4 pods ripened and after I stripped them off, the plant grew like mad. I did have pods by Superbowl...no joke. I brought the plant outdoors. It flourished being very compact and dense. It would have looked great in a large urn or hanging basket since the branching tended to cascade over.

PIC 1 said:

Paul here's a plant (Caribbean Red)  outdoors in early June a few years ago. It started out as a branch cutting (8" long) with 4 unripe pods on it.. (the previous October),...I dipped the cutting in rooting hormone powder and planted it in a 50/50 mix of dampened vermiculite/perlite. The clone took within 3 weeks I was able to replant into a potting medium and bring indoors under flouros....Dam if I can find the photos but what I can say is all 4 pods ripened and after I stripped them off, the plant grew like mad. I did have pods by Superbowl...no joke. I brought the plant outdoors. It flourished being very compact and dense. It would have looked great in a large urn or hanging basket since the branching tended to cascade over.
That seals the deal, my friend!  I'll give it a try.  
I wonder if they would root in the AeroGarden?

Why the combo of Vermiculite and Perlite?

PaulG said:

PaulG said:

PaulG said:

Give it a try.....I think other folks have cloned in the aerogarden..........Denniz always has good results ?
Rock wool also works fine with a little prep work before hand.

I've always used vermiculite when propagating, especially when air layering. It retains moisture, and lets the air flow at the same time. The perlite increases the oxygen once the roots get going......no soggy feet.

You can use a large clear solo....holes for drainage...to view the roots as they grow. Set the cuttings in the greenhouse. High humidity is a must.

Nice pods Paul!

I hope the weather holds for you Paul, you've done really well this season...

Good information here Greg!

Well Paul all I can say is your season has been a pleasure to follow from start to finish ... Well done on the fruits of your labour/love ... And it is still chugging into autumn .. great stuff. Hey I have my annual Christmas card list with your name on it again this year ... Drop me a pm sometime as I have your name on a few stray varieties which you may like..

PIC 1 said:

Give it a try.....I think other folks have cloned in the aerogarden..........Denniz always has good results ?
Rock wool also works fine with a little prep work before hand.

I've always used vermiculite when propagating, especially when air layering. It retains moisture, and lets the air flow at the same time. The perlite increases the oxygen once the roots get going......no soggy feet.

You can use a large clear solo....holes for drainage...to view the roots as they grow. Set the cuttings in the greenhouse. High humidity is a must.
Pix coming soon, brother!

Thanks for the great tips, Greg!

Devv said:
Nice pods Paul!

I hope the weather holds for you Paul, you've done really well this season...

Good information here Greg!
Thanks, Scott.  We're into the real Fall weather pattern, now.  Mostly rainy and cloudy with
some sun breaks here and there.  On the positive side, night temps are still above 50!

Trippa said:
Well Paul all I can say is your season has been a pleasure to follow from start to finish ... Well done on the fruits of your labour/love ... And it is still chugging into autumn .. great stuff. Hey I have my annual Christmas card list with your name on it again this year ... Drop me a pm sometime as I have your name on a few stray varieties which you may like..

You are kind and generous, my friend.  Will PM right away.  Is your addy still the same?

A quick update on the c. rhomboidium from Jacen (onefowl1).  Has hit 15"
(about 37 cm) at the top leaf node, so I had to pot it up to a one-and-a-half
gallon (about 6 L) container:
_DSC2399a_zpsa92cd063.jpg

Your glog never disappoints Paul... there's always something new going on here. :party:  You've had some good looking pulls the last week or so too. How did you like the Hungarian Paprika pods? This year I didn't get as many from the plants as I did last year... I think the cool, wet spring into early summer put a crimp in their style. They're usually one of the first plants to flower and set pods, but this year they dropped flowers like crazy until around the 4th of July.

stickman said:
Your glog never disappoints Paul... there's always something new going on here. :party:  You've had some good looking pulls the last week or so too. How did you like the Hungarian Paprika pods? This year I didn't get as many from the plants as I did last year... I think the cool, wet spring into early summer put a crimp in their style. They're usually one of the first plants to flower and set pods, but this year they dropped flowers like crazy until around the 4th of July.
You are kind as usual, Rick!

I think the paprikas are great.  Nice peppery taste.  
They dry nicely and should blend well with some hotter reds.
I had some nice early pods in the nice part of Spring, but then when excess
Summer heat set in, I didn't get many pods.  The return of more seasonal
weather has seen a few more pods ripen up.  I guess I got around a dozen.  
The plant never grew beyond 2 feet tall, but it is a a nice looking variety.

We had a beautiful Summer yesterday - 70˚ and sunny!  Today back to cloudy and rainy!

The c. galapagoense - Sstc3248, is still ripening up a few pods.  If it gets too late, I'll try
cutting the branches and hanging them up to see if I can get the rest of the pods to ripen:
_DSC2402a_zpsbf1a47c4.jpg

Picked four more yesterday   :party:  :
_DSC2404a_zps7c3e061d.jpg

The Goat's Weed and Texas Tepin are under the deck canopy for the rainy Fall weather,
but yesterday saw them out in some welcome sun.  There are 3 or 4 ripe pods on the
Goat's Weed, but still a hundred   :liar:  black ones left.  Well, it seems like it:
_DSC2406a_zps2495e1be.jpg

_DSC2410a_zps6a40bf43.jpg

_DSC2411a_zps228eefca.jpg

_DSC2407a_zpsbcc15727.jpg

Lots of nice, big pods on the Tepin:
_DSC2408a_zpsc977f2bc.jpg

_DSC2409a_zps9c80007a.jpg

Trippa's Bird's Eye HTM just keeps going.  The leaves are yellow and falling off, but it wants to ripen every last pod:
_DSC2413a_zpsc1fd129c.jpg

This is why I hate pulling up plants.  This Charapita is rarin' for another shot:
_DSC2422a_zps67c9dcea.jpg

Still got some good stuff going on Paul! Glad to see it.

Yeah, pulling plants is hard. A break is coming soon ;)

I pruned the 3rd year Fatali last week to prepare for a repotting as my first bonchi attempt:
_DSC2417a_zps16426934.jpg

Combing out the roots.  I had to dump dirt into the tub three times - I'm always amazed at how much dirt expands out of the pot:
_DSC2418a_zps5f8e9bc3.jpg

Roots cleaned out and washed:
_DSC2419a_zps0888c4e7.jpg

DIY bonchi tray:
_DSC2420a_zps4d0a122e.jpg

Pruning back the roots to fit.  I removed a little more here
and there after this pic.  That's landscape cloth in the tray:
_DSC2421a_zps786e6387.jpg

Wired in.  I tied off to the tray rather than under it since the trays
have no feet and the wires make them wobbly underneath:
_DSC2424a_zps993b23e0.jpg

The final product. It's either dead or will sprout new growth in a few weeks!  I've done this a lot with pines
and maples, so we'll see if my technique translates to peppers.  This potting is really a 'bonchi-in-training'
and should be 're-trayed' when it has grown out more roots in 6 months to a year.
_DSC2423a_zps56d178c5.jpg

This one is screaming "bon chi me!":
_DSC2425a_zps0d74d739.jpg

A few pods still soldiering on.  This is a 7 Pot Barrakapore:
_DSC2415a_zpsfb802996.jpg

Good on ya for doing a bonchi.

I have a Thai in a small pot, pretty much have to water it every day in the heat. Funny how they react to their new feet and put on just a tiny bit of growth. But it still flowered and set a few pods..

My question is should I trim the roots again? It seems like the potting soil is going away and being replaced with roots..

Devv said:
Good on ya for doing a bon chi.  We'll see   ;)

I have a Thai in a small pot, pretty much have to water it every day in the heat. Funny how they react to their new feet and put on just a tiny bit of growth. But it still flowered and set a few pods..

My question is should I trim the roots again? It seems like the potting soil is going away and being replaced with roots..
The bonsai information I have read says to root prune and re-pot every two years.  
But those are in tiny trays.  It is amazing how much soil they consume, so sometimes
I just add a little on top.  I'm really bad about repotting.  In my experience, if you don't,
the plant will push itself out of the pot with its roots, or just get funky and not grow well.

Diggin' the bochi's, man! Reminds me that I still have a ton of work to do when I get in from my road trip. I've enjoyed creepin through your glog from time to time this season, a lot of great stuff in here for sure.

AaronB said:
Diggin' the bochi's, man! Reminds me that I still have a ton of work to do when I get in from my road trip. I've enjoyed creepin through your glog from time to time this season, a lot of great stuff in here for sure.  Thanks a million!
Thanks for the visit, Aaron - good luck getting to that to-do list.

Glad you stopped by from time to time!

I see you're getting ready to OW some of your pepper plants Paul... me too. I found a  home for my MoA Bonnets for the winter and I'll be potting up my Manzanos tomorrow before a hard freeze predicted for tomorrow night. You've had a great season for sure, and I wish you success next year as well. Stay crazy buddy... ;)

PeriPeri said:
Awesome Paul. Love what you doin with that there Fatalii ;)
Thanks, Lourens.  We'll see how it goes.
I'll feel better when I see some little green growth buds!

stickman said:
I see you're getting ready to OW some of your pepper plants Paul... me too. I found a  home for my MoA Bonnets for the winter and I'll be potting up my Manzanos tomorrow before a hard freeze predicted for tomorrow night. You've had a great season for sure, and I wish you success next year as well. Stay crazy buddy... ;)

Yes, little by little, Rick.  Frost isn't our enemy right now; we haven't even hit the 50% date yet!
Our bugger is rain which just tends to drown everything here in April and again in November.

Found this interesting web page on Weather Underground referring to the wettest months
of the year around the country:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=311

That being said, we're into two days of low 70's and dry this weekend, then more rain.

PaulG said:
Pix coming soon, brother!

Thanks for the great tips, Greg!

Thanks, Scott.  We're into the real Fall weather pattern, now.  Mostly rainy and cloudy with
some sun breaks here and there.  On the positive side, night temps are still above 50!

You are kind and generous, my friend.  Will PM right away.  Is your addy still the same?

A quick update on the c. rhomboidium from Jacen (onefowl1).  Has hit 15"
(about 37 cm) at the top leaf node, so I had to pot it up to a one-and-a-half
gallon (about 6 L) container:
_DSC2399a_zpsa92cd063.jpg
Thats about 3 inches higher then when mine started to branch out big time much like several other wilds do down low. So it should not be long before yours does the same.

onefowl1 said:
Thats about 3 inches higher then when mine started to branch out big time much like several other wilds do down low. So it should not be long before yours does the same.
There is a little growth at every leaf node; the ones down low are
starting to grow a little as you can see.  I imagine re-potting will slow
it's growth down a bit until the roots have a chance to grow out some.

My Wild Brazil and Charapita also had the bushy growth down low.  
The chacoense and galapagoense somewhat, but not as bushy as
the other two.  I'm hoping all four will make a nice 'wild grove' along
with the rhomboidium, the Cheiro Recife and Jamie's Datil.  

I'm already having a hard time deciding what plants to grow out
next season   :rofl:

Going to cut down a handful of plants today and tomorrow,including the
Goat's Weed cross.  Will be fun to get a final measurement on that one!

Nice sunny day today - the remaining plants got a nice dose of sol!

Moved the c. chacoense and c. galapagoense onto the deck so I can
shelter them from the rainy weather and so the chaco  can get some
better sun.

Took down the Goat's Weed cross.  Measured the height at 10'8".  That's my neighbor Pete:
_DSC2426a_zpsfc8d26c6.jpg

Pete is 6'2" tall:
_DSC2427a_zps9c401b73.jpg

The Chili Costa Rica is still ripening up pods under the cover of the front porch:
_DSC2428a_zps35a95894.jpg

Back