• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Devv said:
Are you applying the Calmag as a foliar application? That worked much better compared to a drench for me, twice a week didn't hurt either ;)

That's a good idea.  I can't get between my rows with a watering can without knocking off a lot of pods.

Devv said:
Sounds like things are winding down there Paul, but good on ya for squeezing out the last harvests!

Are you applying the Calmag as a foliar application? That worked much better compared to a drench for me, twice a week didn't hurt either ;)
Winding down quickly, my friend!

At this stage of the game, I just dumped a quart of liquid around the trunk.
It may have nothing to do with the pods     :shh:    Who knows?     :think:
Sawyer said:

That's a good idea.  I can't get between my rows with a watering can without knocking off a lot of pods.
That's a great problem to have, John    :cool:

Hey Paul, You have had a most incredible grow this season. You have had truck loads of chillies.... I am sensing that time for the chilli thanks giving meal must be nigh :party:  Looking forward to all the amazing meals you will conjur up :dance: :dance: :dance:

PeriPeri said:
Hey Paul, You have had a most incredible grow this season. You have had truck loads of chillies.... I am sensing that time for the chilli thanks giving meal must be nigh :party:  Looking forward to all the amazing meals you will conjur up :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thank you, thank you, Lourens!  There are some amazing powder blends in the future   :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

As for amazing meals, I'm afraid this is about as good as it gets here.  My honey was away for a few days,so dinner was pretty
simple!  Some chicken breast prepped with a dry rub then slow cooked over charcoal using Ann's outstanding Tropical Ghost
Hot Sauce Glaze often and liberally during the last half of the cooking.  Then some Red Fatali/Savina powder for one breast, and
Chocolate powder for the other.  Yum:
_DSC2355a_zps50a1c32e.jpg

Some steak and shrimp.  Shrimp with the Ghost Glaze and some of Ann's Spicy Worcestershire Sauce for the steak.  
Another yum!  Actually this meal came first.  You can tell by the level of sauce in the glaze bottle:
_DSC2349a_zpsa9c36365.jpg

That's the best I can do, buddy   ;)   You'll have to visit the real cooks on the other blogs.  You know, I sure wish the spell checker would
stop changing glog to blog  :rolleyes:

PaulS said:
I've just found this glog. Really nice grow, good job from PaulS!

Welcome aboard Paul!  Thanks for the positivity!  We've been fortunate this year, for sure.
Good luck growing in the UK, my friend!

The sun is very low in the sky now, so had to move some plants into some sunnier spots.

The c. chacoense var. Exile - Stc3248, has responded to the increased sunlight by
darkening a bunch of pods, but is also ramping up the coloring process:
_DSC2356a_zpsb1581764.jpg

Same for the Chili Costa Rica:
_DSC2359a_zpsfbae7139.jpg

A closer look at the top:
_DSC2360a_zps5cfe36f9.jpg

In the back yard, the Texas Tepin, 2nd generation is loaded with pods:
_DSC2362a_zps362b9ef9.jpg

The Red Bhut Jolokia, 2nd generation is about ready to pluck:
_DSC2363a_zps50d4d5b2.jpg

I lightened the load on the Goat's Weed cross by pulling about 3
dozen pods from the plant.  Still about the same number left to
ripen up.  After the last pull, I'll cut down the plant and see how
tall it really is.  I'm guessing it came close to 11 feet:
_DSC2366a_zps4a2c0590.jpg

The c. galapagoense - Stc3248, is slowly ripening up pods.  I don't
think I'll get many unless it can withstand the Fall weather here.  I
have picked about a dozen pods so far:
_DSC2364a_zps3d47e1dd.jpg

That's it for now.  I'll be harvesting tomorrow or the next day.  Will post pics of the pods then.  
Hope everyone is having a good week - we're still in the sun belt for the time being   :cool:   Highs
in the 70's, lows in the 50's.

Hey Paul,good to see you are enjoying your retirement and growing some great plants. The galapagoense are definitely more frail than other wilds,or chiles in general. The soft lamb ear texture doesn't do well with colder temps,twelve pods is a nice haul,they are extremely long season species. Hope all is well in the PNW...take care my friend.

Wow Paul, your going into fall and your plants still look better than lots of mine in mid summer... and they look über loaded as wel - amazing!

Hell yea... that food looks mighty fine. You certainly know how to cook. When my lady is out of town I generally starve lol Ok, not quite that bad... but I usually know how to make a curry and that is it. I really must try playing around a bit more with my chilli and sauces ;) Your glog is an inspiration - thank you buddy!

Paul you've hit the jackpot with the forecast. 
Are you moving any plants into the green house to extend the season one step further ?

Spicegeist said:
Love the dark leaves on that plant.  How do you like the taste of the galapagoense?
The Chili Costa Rica is one of the prettiest ornamentals I've grown, Charles.  
I'm hoping the powder from the pods is as good as the powder from the Black Pearl.

I tried one of the galapagoense pods.  Very tough and seed packed, so not enjoyable
to eat, but the heat was off the chart for such a small pod.  I was taken by surprise by
how hot it was, and didn't really get a good hit in the taste.

Pr0digal_son said:
Hey Paul,good to see you are enjoying your retirement and growing some great plants. The galapagoense are definitely more frail than other wilds,or chiles in general. The soft lamb ear texture doesn't do well with colder temps,twelve pods is a nice haul,they are extremely long season species. Hope all is well in the PNW...take care my friend.

Thanks, John.  I can't say retirement is all bad   ;)

The Galapagoense is hanging in there.  I actually got 13 more pods a couple of days ago.  
A couple are big enough to be good seed prospects.  I'll let it go until the bitter end.  Next
year I'll start earlier; this seed didn't get planted until mid-January.

PeriPeri said:
Wow Paul, your going into fall and your plants still look better than lots of mine in mid summer... and they look über loaded as wel - amazing!
Been lucky this season, brother!
Hell yea... that food looks mighty fine. You certainly know how to cook. When my lady is out of town I generally starve lol Ok, not quite that bad... but I usually know how to make a curry and that is it. I really must try playing around a bit more with my chilli and sauces ;) Your glog is an inspiration - thank you buddy!

You are too kind, Lourens, but thank you for the positivity!   Things are really winding down,
but I don't have the heart to pull a plant that still might ripen up a pod.  some of them look
pretty sad after last nights rain!  I'm going to go out and pull some chacoense pods when
I'm done with this post.  Oh, yeah, the Texas Tepin is loaded, too.

PIC 1 said:
Paul you've hit the jackpot with the forecast. 
Are you moving any plants into the green house to extend the season one step further ?

Hi, Greg.  We're heading into a rainy spell; maybe two nice afternoons left
then a week of rain with about 2" in the forecast.  Had a quarter inch last night.  
We need it, really.I put the 'Black Pearl' and the NuMex Twilight into the greenhouse
to finish off.   I'm going to root prune and repot them since they have been growing
in the same pots for three seasons.  I have onefowl1's c. rhombodium in there as well.  
It needs new shoes.

I'm not going for a lot of OWs this season.   I may start my Aji Amarillos, Manzanos, and
galapagoense seeds at the beginning of November and let them stay in the grow shelf for
a couple of months before going out to the greenhouse.  I'm not really sure if that's overwintering!

Congratulations on a super season for yourself, Greg!

Penny said:
Those plants look amazing Paul and that dinner....delish!! :dance:

Hey, Penny!  Grilling is my only skill in cooking, and even then it's pretty basic!

Your tomatoes were outstanding this year.  I think that next year I'll grow the
Bulgarian, Mann Marvel, Polar, Black Seaman, and the Watermelon Beefsteak.  
They seemed the most productive for my climate.  I'm fermenting some seeds now.

stickman said:
Nice! I see the garden's last hurrah is doing quite well for you Paul. No worries if you don't have Cordon Bleu foodie pics for us... you've gotta start somewhere... ;)

Thanks for the pass, buddy!  I'll just watch you work your magic!

Devv said:
I see you're still kicking it Paul! good deal!

Great foodies too ;)  They tasted good even if they aren't fancy!

Not too bad for the PNW, I guess.  It would be nice to count on a summer like this every year!

The last big harvest happened a couple of days ago.  There will be some more here and there.  
The c. chacoense and Tepin have lots of ripe pods, but most of the remaining plants are on the last handful.
Maybe the Inca Lost will ripen up another handful.  I will get some Ajis and a couple more Manzanos.

I managed a pretty decent harvest for October a couple of days ago.

_DSC2373a_zps60248130.jpg

_DSC2374a_zpse3f49fd1.jpg

_DSC2375a_zpsa1bb27d3.jpg

_DSC2372a_zps954d84d5.jpg

Some of the Mystery Annuum x Goat's Weed.  Took a taste of one of these - very hot!
_DSC2370a_zps1feaeed0.jpg

The Aji Amarillos are really coming onto their own.  They like the cool weather.  Even though the plants
look droopy, the pods are ripening up nicely:
_DSC2378a_zpsabd28315.jpg

_DSC2379a_zps78d8545e.jpg

The bushy phenotype plant:
_DSC2380a_zps1cbd25d6.jpg

Manzano ready for picking:
_DSC2381a_zps4e1fa6fa.jpg

Looks like I'll get a third pull from the Costeño Amarillo:
_DSC2376a_zps0ddab771.jpg

Thanks for the visits, my friends.  Hope everyone is having a decent weekend, and that their football teams all win!

Glad to still see some color out there Paul!

A few of mine are podding up for the fall season, they have 60 days or so before the frost comes, but most can be moved into the shop.

Keep it green!

Devv said:
Glad to still see some color out there Paul!

A few of mine are podding up for the fall season, they have 60 days or so before the frost comes, but most can be moved into the shop.

Keep it green!
Awesome, brother.  Sounds like you have another round in the future!
Hope the frost cooperates with you and you don't have to move too
many plants around.  

Just found some recent data on Spring and Fall frost dates for our area.  
This table shows the probabilities for frost (<32.5˚) occurring by certain dates.

BEAVERTON 2 SSW, OREGON (350595)
Temp F Earliest 10%    20%   30%    40%    50%    60%   70%    80%    90%   Latest
36.5      09/19   10/01  10/11  10/14  10/15  10/18  10/22  10/27  10/31  11/06  11/28 
32.5      09/26   10/11  10/17  10/24  10/29  11/02  11/07  11/12  11/21  11/30  12/22 
28.5      10/31   11/02  11/08  11/12  11/15  11/27  11/30  12/12  12/19  12/22   **/** 
24.5      11/11   11/17  11/28  12/13  12/20  12/30   **/**      **/**     **/**     **/**    **/** 
20.5      11/13   12/01  12/20  12/26  **/**      **/**     **/**      **/**     **/**     **/**    **/**

If you are in the west, you can search for your own location's data at this site:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu

This site lists the regional sites nationwide:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/rcc.html

Managed a minor harvest a couple of days ago:
_DSC2383a_zps98ce0ad1.jpg

The 7 Pot Barrakapore - GaGrowhead, seems to think it's Spring:
_DSC2388a_zpsd99bb743.jpg

_DSC2387a_zpsbc64ce54.jpg

It has a few nice pods trying to finish:
_DSC2385a_zps849a21c4.jpg

_DSC2386a_zps2aedb0ac.jpg

The Marconi Rosso is seasonally challenged as well   :rofl: :
_DSC2390a_zps0c157de3.jpg

Well, it looks like the rains will come tomorrow night, so tomorrow, I will pick some c. chacoense and Texas Tepin pods.  
I've been dragging my feet trying to squeeze every minute of sun for the ripening pods.  Then I need to find a dry spot
for the Tepin and the chacoense that also gets a little sun   :think:  so they can ripen up some more pods.  I cut down a few
more plants today,  Will probably take down a couple of more tomorrow before it gets too soggy.  Nighttime temperatures
in the low 50's for the greatest part in the ten day forecast.  Highs mostly in the high 60's.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Managed a little pull yesterday in the waning light of summer.  Rains arrived overnight:
_DSC2395a_zps504f4d27.jpg

First Aji Amarillo harvest:
_DSC2391a_zps80ed573d.jpg

This plant is producing very consistent pods:
_DSC2392a_zpsee917e13.jpg

Mor variation in the pods from this plant:
_DSC2393a_zpsc80ba6f5.jpg

These pods seem slightly larger than the others:
_DSC2394a_zps737130a7.jpg

There are quite a few more on the vines ripening up, so I hope to get a few more.  Probably the best Aji season of the past three.

Beautiful pods Paul............heck with OW's, take a few of cuttings of that Barrackpore and you'll have a compact plants putting out pods before Superbowl.

PIC 1 said:
Beautiful pods Paul............heck with OW's, take a few of cuttings of that Barrackpore and you'll have a compact plants putting out pods before Superbowl.
Thanks, Maestro!

Why didn't I think of that   :confused:   Maybe I'll give it a whirl.  
Shame to lose such a great plant!

Back