• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Portuge said:
Nice start Paul, still cant believe that your tepin is covered in pods...
The T5 HO lamps really put out the lumens; wish I had bitten
the bullet earlier and purchased them before!  The Tepins are
exactly 4 months old.   Going out in the greenhouse may actually
help them round off the first 'year' grow season for them, and let
them regather themselves for spring plant out.  Just a whacko theory!

Thanks for being my first 2014 grow log visitor, James!  Sorry there
isn't some kind of door prize or something :rofl:

maximumcapsicum said:
Very clean operation! And an amazing grow list. It'll be fun to follow along!
Thanks, MaxCap!  Glad to have you join the party!

WalkGood said:
Clicked follow, awesome job Paul ... wish I had more time for my garden in 14 :/
Great, Ramon, thanks!  Time is always a precious commodity, my friend!
Devv said:
Alright now!

Here we go!

Nice list Paul!

All the success this year!

And the T5's do rock!  Indeed.
Thanks, Scott!  Same to you, my friend!

There is no doubt that the T5's do rock, my current setup in the garage involves 2 4' t5 light fixtures... the only problem im stuck with is my setup isnt insulated like yours is Paul, trying to control the growth on my plants for two more months. Got a ton more seed to sow after the new year and currently have 60 plants on the shelf

Alright Paul! Glad to see you got your '14 glog underweigh... good luck to you for the coming year's grow... I'll be keeping an eye here fo' sho'!

Portuge said:
There is no doubt that the T5's do rock, my current setup in the garage involves 2 4' t5 light fixtures... the only problem im stuck with is my setup isnt insulated like yours is Paul, trying to control the growth on my plants for two more months. Got a ton more seed to sow after the new year and currently have 60 plants on the shelf
I hear that, James, I wish I had another 6-10 inches of height in
my grow shelf.  The foam core board is a great material, really
lightweight and has some decent R value.
stickman said:
Alright Paul! Glad to see you got your '14 glog underweigh... good luck to you for the coming year's grow... I'll be keeping an eye here fo' sho'!
Hey, Rick, thanks for checking in!

Jamison said:
Way to go bud! Tepin looks amazing. Wonderful list, and good luck this year!
Thanks, Jamison!  This is definitely more heat than I've grown i the past.

PaulG said:
Hey, check this out.  My wife bought a pack of those bite-size
frozen quiches; the trays are a perfect fit for Jiffy pellets   :rofl:

An 18-pack!:
_DSC0827a_zps12185e10.jpg

Man, folks seem to be having great success with these guys. I may have to give them another whirl this year. Nice that they're pretty much guaranteed to be sterile.

maximumcapsicum said:

Man, folks seem to be having great success with these guys. I may have to give them another whirl this year. Nice that they're pretty much guaranteed to be sterile.
This will be my third try at using these.  This time, I followed Jason's (GaGrowhead)
advice and worked the plugs a little to loosen them up. Haven't done that before. I
noticed a definite compactness in the bottom 1/4 of the plugs.  After working them a
little, they were a little looser, taller and skinnier - not much - and seemed much more
hospitable to root growth.  Next, I'll fluff up the tops, dibble a little hole in them and put
the seeds in.  If they don't work for me this time, then it's back to Black Gold seed
starting mix; it has worked great for me the past 2 seasons.

Looks like you are off to a good start, if the plants your are overwintering are putting out to much growth under your T5's I would cut back and use T8' grow lux with stardard duty Flours. I have 14 plants crowed under a 4 ft bank of 4 T8's and they are pretty much dorment despite being crowded, I plan to buy a 4 bank of T5's for growing my seedlings although I have used T8's for that in the past. 
The peat pots are ok, but they tend to mold so I plan this year to go to rapid rooters or core blocks and I will have to set up a new heating system to germinate my seeds Last year my heating pad that I had used for the last four years finally quit on me so now I have to find a good cheap answer to my heating problem.
I like your list of peppers I grew the Infiniy pepper last year not knowing it was not stable, my pods didn't look like some of the other Infinities that I've seen, the heat was way up on the list of ultra hots I barely had time to enjoy the flavor before the heat kicked in.
I would grow the Primo away from your C. Reapers as I have heard that they look a lot like each other although taste wise you can tell which is which.  

wildseed57 said:
Looks like you are off to a good start, if the plants your are overwintering are putting out to much growth under your T5's I would cut back and use T8' grow lux with stardard duty Flours. I have 14 plants crowed under a 4 ft bank of 4 T8's and they are pretty much dorment despite being crowded, I plan to buy a 4 bank of T5's for growing my seedlings although I have used T8's for that in the past. 
These plants sprouted on Aug. 15th, so they have literally gone through a grow season under the T5s.  They are behaving like late season plants, dropping old leaves and dialing back the flowering.  I'll move them to the greenhouse this week sometime, and it should be like going into Fall for them, with the heater and the light.  The grow shelf will hopefully have a bunch of starts in it in a few weeks, so the T5s will be put to good use!
The peat pots are ok, but they tend to mold so I plan this year to go to rapid rooters or core blocks and I will have to set up a new heating system to germinate my seeds Last year my heating pad that I had used for the last four years finally quit on me so now I have to find a good cheap answer to my heating problem.  
I think it is easy to overwater the pellets, or the seedling mix for that matter.  I get a little moss or hairy mold on the top once in a while, but just scrape it off and hit it with a little Safer fungicide, and it seems to take care of it.  Hope you find a heat source - I'm using regular heating pads, both of which are pretty old, but seem to be working okay.  I have just used my lights for heat in the germinating trays before.
I like your list of peppers I grew the Infiniy pepper last year not knowing it was not stable, my pods didn't look like some of the other Infinities that I've seen, the heat was way up on the list of ultra hots I barely had time to enjoy the flavor before the heat kicked in.  Agreed.  My 2012 plant had smallish red pods before.  Will be interesting to see what develops this year.  Hope the seeds I collected are viable.
I would grow the Primo away from your C. Reapers as I have heard that they look a lot like each other although taste wise you can tell which is which.  
Thanks for the tip, I haven't had much experience with either; I'll be extra careful with labels!

And thanks for the visit, George.  Good luck to you this season.

Penny said:
Way to recycle with the plastic trays!! ;)
I had to laugh when I tried one of the pellets and it fit    :lol:

Pr0digal_son said:
Good luck in '14 my friend. Have a safe Christmas and New Year. Any snow/hiking yet?
Thanks for the well wishes, John; hope you have a great season 2014, as well.
Pretty good snow up in the mountains, but I had hernia surgery a month ago, so it
hasn't been an option!  I hope to start getting out in late Jan. or February.

Best of the holiday season to you and your family, and a Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year.

I should have a fairly large amount to grow this coming year I have some near stable crosses that I want to grow again along with some others like the Savannah, and Jay's peach and red ghost scorpion along with the Infinity which looked much like my Barrackpore only bigger and some different types of the Ghost peppers. I got two pods with no seeds in them of the Moruga Blend that Chris has been growing (CMPman1974) really very hot!!,  made my mouth hurt for some time, I have it over wintering and plan to grow some more from seeds, with all of them I'm looking around for some different wilds I have several chiltepins that I plan to grow and have some overwintering and I'm going to be growing a bunch of sweet peppers So I will have my hands full. I'm hoping I have better luck with my tomatoes and eggplants both was a washout last year as I spent the spring and early summer in the hospital which was really a bummer, but pulled through it all but I was unable to put out the cash I needed for insect control as all my cash went into gas and to the doctors and to the hospitals which I had to drive back and fourth to. Well enough of that sorry for being long winded, I'll pop in as much as I can to see how you are doing best wishes for your Christmas Holidays and New Year.

Back