• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

capsidadburn said:
Paul, Looking good on the tips from Jason about peat pucks.  I did not use them a whole lot but those are very sensible ideas and great results I suspect.  I like to use Rockwool for the tougher germing wilds.  I suppose paper towel or coffee filter is the same benefit though.

Keep it green!

Mike
I don't use the coffee filter method much.  I think it would be really good
if one wanted to germinate a lot of a variety and not have to waste rockwool
or whatever on seeds that don't germinate.  I suppose when yu get right
down to it, all the methods work just fine if you do it carefully!

Wow!  Received two bomb packages from Wayright and Pic 1!

Yesterday these awesome hot salts from Kevin.  The Smoked Chocolate Scorpion
is to die for - went into a salt shaker immediately!  the others are awesome, too, that
was just my favorite.  I sampled his Yellow Boquet powder last year, and the Yellow
Boquet salt is just as good.:
_DSC0832a_zpsb4988d02.jpg

Thank you for your generosity, Kevin.  The pastel colors on the grinds are awesome in their own right!  
The photos don't do the colors justice.

Then, today, a bonanza from Greg.  What an awesome array of sauces.  Completely professional in
packaging and presentation, not to mention the product!  I have only tried the Scotch Bonnet so far,
but they should all just be the cat's meow:
_DSC0833a_zps1e9c2d53.jpg

Thank you so much for your kindness, Greg.  These are just great!  
Especially for someone who doesn't yet make sauces!  The Scotch Bonnet
is packed with flavor, and has a nice mellow burn.  Thanks again, my friend!

Gotta love the folk on THP.  I don't know of a more supportive online community.

Excelent glog Paul. I like the grow list and the OW strategy.

If it's not too much of an inconvienence, I'd also be interested in a few Tepin seeds if you think they weren't cross pollinated and a couple Aji Ammarillo seeds as well (my wife if Peruvian). You've seen my grow list on my glog so if you see something you'd want in trade, just let me know.

I also like your strategy with the Jiffy Pellets. Even though i germinated my November plantings in lose sterile seeding medium, I did pick up a few boxes of pellets early this past summer in the clearance isle. I did sow the Rocotos I planted back in August in pellets and had pretty good success, but I seemed to have difficulty with uneven water evaporation which is why I went to bagged medium in November. I think I will try your recommended method on my annums after the first of the year.

You're off to a great start!

PaulG said:
I don't use the coffee filter method much.  I think it would be really good
if one wanted to germinate a lot of a variety and not have to waste rockwool
or whatever on seeds that don't germinate.  I suppose when yu get right
down to it, all the methods work just fine if you do it carefully!

Wow!  Received two bomb packages from Wayright and Pic 1!

Yesterday these awesome hot salts from Kevin.  The Smoked Chocolate Scorpion
is to die for - went into a salt shaker immediately!  the others are awesome, too, that
was just my favorite.  I sampled his Yellow Boquet powder last year, and the Yellow
Boquet salt is just as good.:
_DSC0832a_zpsb4988d02.jpg

Thank you for your generosity, Kevin.  The pastel colors on the grinds are awesome in their own right!  
The photos don't do the colors justice.

Then, today, a bonanza from Greg.  What an awesome array of sauces.  Completely professional in
packaging and presentation, not to mention the product!  I have only tried the Scotch Bonnet so far,
but they should all just be the cat's meow:
_DSC0833a_zps1e9c2d53.jpg

Thank you so much for your kindness, Greg.  These are just great!  
Especially for someone who doesn't yet make sauces!  The Scotch Bonnet
is packed with flavor, and has a nice mellow burn.  Thanks again, my friend!

Gotta love the folk on THP.  I don't know of a more supportive online community.

Wow what a treat? What's in the blackthorn?

Pinoy83 said:
thats a great xmas gift for you pauly....it will speed up your healing powers from your surgery :dance: :dance: :dance:
Yeah, Jericson, i feel better already!

Penny said:
All those sauces look great....enjoy them during the holidays. :onfire:
Thanks, Penny, should be a nice warm Christmas and New Year's!

jma1787 said:
Excelent glog Paul. I like the grow list and the OW strategy.

If it's not too much of an inconvienence, I'd also be interested in a few Tepin seeds if you think they weren't cross pollinated and a couple Aji Ammarillo seeds as well (my wife if Peruvian). You've seen my grow list on my glog so if you see something you'd want in trade, just let me know.

I also like your strategy with the Jiffy Pellets. Even though i germinated my November plantings in lose sterile seeding medium, I did pick up a few boxes of pellets early this past summer in the clearance isle. I did sow the Rocotos I planted back in August in pellets and had pretty good success, but I seemed to have difficulty with uneven water evaporation which is why I went to bagged medium in November. I think I will try your recommended method on my annums after the first of the year.

You're off to a great start!
Thanks for the kind words, J.  We'll see how all these strategies play out!  
I'm trying something new in the germinating this season, so may have to
go back to the drawing board.  I'm using a heat mat, which I've never done,
and the pellets.  So this is a double whammy!  The OWs re always subject to
SPD during the long winter months.

I'd be happy to send some seeds, buddy.  I'll send some WT Tepin and Aji
Amarillo harvest seed, and some Wild Brazil dried pods and a couple of
the original Tepin seed from THSC 2012.  I had great success with them in
August.  Good luck with the harvested seed, I understand that the wilds and
pequins are notoriously hard to germinate.  Hope they work for you.

Do you and your wife ever visit Peru?  Bring back some rocoto and aji seeds!

PM me your addy and I'll get these in the mail asap.  They are all bagged and
ready!

Sanarda said:
What a great start you're having.  Cheers to a great 2014 season.
Thank you, Pia.  I'm excited to grow out the Congo Trinidad
Yellow again.Will start them in January.

rebelgrower3 said:
Can't wait to see these get going looks like you have a nice selection there.
Thanks, buddy, Nothing like waiting for paint to dry1

maximumcapsicum said:

Wow what a treat? What's in the blackthorn?
I don't know, I haven't had a chance to check out Greg's
glog yet to see what the sauces are made of.  I'm sure it's
killer!

Blister said:
Nice list Paul. Are you planning on growing the MoA Bonnets again this year or just the TFM'''?
My MoAs didn't make it last year, so I haven't any MoA seed.
In the future when I get some more, I will definitely give them
a shot.

Crappy to hear that they didn't make it. Did you get any pods from the plants last year? I'm curious about the heat and taste. Bonnets are one of favorites.

I've been using the heat mat for a few years. It really seems to cut the sprout time. I have one of the jiffy set ups. I've had decent success with the pellets. I've always soaked then and squished them a bit to break them up before putting the seed in.

Just a heads up, I had a couple of sets that I was starting in wet paper towels and bags. The heat of the mat was too much for them when I placed them directly on the mat. It worked fine when I put them in the tray with the dome on though.

Good luck with the new grow log. I'm still working my way through your last glog.

Neil

PaulG said:
Thanks for the kind words, J.  We'll see how all these strategies play out!  
I'm trying something new in the germinating this season, so may have to
go back to the drawing board.  I'm using a heat mat, which I've never done,
and the pellets.  So this is a double whammy!  The OWs re always subject to
SPD during the long winter months.

I'd be happy to send some seeds, buddy.  I'll send some WT Tepin and Aji
Amarillo harvest seed, and some Wild Brazil dried pods and a couple of
the original Tepin seed from THSC 2012.  I had great success with them in
August.  Good luck with the harvested seed, I understand that the wilds and
pequins are notoriously hard to germinate.  Hope they work for you.

Do you and your wife ever visit Peru?  Bring back some rocoto and aji seeds!

PM me your addy and I'll get these in the mail asap.  They are all bagged and
ready!

I used a heat mat this year and it worked great. I also attached mine to a thermostat set to 85F. Make sure you put your mat on a towel or small blanket instead of just sitting it on the table. It helps retain the heat.

I've heard the wilds are hard to germinate, but since I live in Texas, I thought I'd give them a try. The other varieties sound interesting. What species is the wild Brazilian?

I haven't been to Peru in over 10 years, but we keep talking about going back and probably will eventually. In the meantime, I'm going to see if any of my wife's family is going back soon. If someone is, I will ask for some seeds.

I sent you a PM with my address. Again - Thank You!

jma1787 said:

I used a heat mat this year and it worked great. I also attached mine to a thermostat set to 85F. Make sure you put your mat on a towel or small blanket instead of just sitting it on the table. It helps retain the heat.
My main worry is too much heat.  I'm just using an old heating pad set on low, and the soil temp at seed depth is 85F, but warmer at the bottom of the plug.  I'm hoping it's not too warm in there.
I've heard the wilds are hard to germinate, but since I live in Texas, I thought I'd give them a try. The other varieties sound interesting. What species is the wild Brazilian?
The Wild Brazil was supposed to be a Cumari Pollux, but Shane wasn't sure when we last talked about it.  The description of the Cumari matched the plant quite closely; It is an awesome bush none-the-less - small upright pods like most bird peppers, and very prolific.  Mine overwintered well in the greenhouse before I killed it last summer.  It had tons of green pods on it.  

If you can't grow Tepins there, you can't grow them anywhere!
I haven't been to Peru in over 10 years, but we keep talking about going back and probably will eventually. In the meantime, I'm going to see if any of my wife's family is going back soon. If someone is, I will ask for some seeds.
Oh, yeah!  One of the Yellow Aji you are getting is from Peruvian Market seed brought back by a friend!  Would be cool to get some different kinds of Rocoto and/or manzano seeds!
I sent you a PM with my address. Again - Thank You!
Got it, my friend!  Will have those babies on the way very soon!
Hope they grow out well for you.

Trippa said:
On to the next season already ....its a Perpetual hobby no matter how short the season world wide now ... Good luck this/next season Paul ...should be a cracker!!
It is sort of an amazing phenomenon, isn't it?

Good luck getting round two underway, brother.
And thanks for the good wishes.

You are so right Devv....people here are amazing. :dance: Other sites could learn a thing or two. ;)

I posted too, in the Pepper people are the Best thread :dance:......your seeds and powders arrived yesterday Paul :woohoo:....thank you so much, haven't tried any as of yet, but I have a pot of chili to make on the weekend... ;)

Thank you again. :party:

Trippa said:
On to the next season already ....its a Perpetual hobby no matter how short the season world wide now ... Good luck this/next season Paul ...should be a cracker!!

That's the truth. I've been shocked at how much there is to do during the "off-season," though mostly it revolves around gearing up for the grow season!

Devv said:
Nice gifts Paul!

As you said can't beat the people here and their giving attitude!

I have MoA seeds, PM me your addy.
Awesome, Scott!  That is very kind, my friend!  I hope I can
do better this season with them.  I'm banking on the T5s!.
Penny said:
You are so right Devv....people here are amazing. :dance: Other sites could learn a thing or two. ;)

I posted too, in the Pepper people are the Best thread :dance:......your seeds and powders arrived yesterday Paul :woohoo:....thank you so much, haven't tried any as of yet, but I have a pot of chili to make on the weekend... ;)

Thank you again. :party:
All right, Penny!  Snail mail strikes again!  I'm glad
they made it 'cross the border! ya-ha-ha!  Enjoy!

maximumcapsicum said:

That's the truth. I've been shocked at how much there is to do during the "off-season," though mostly it revolves around gearing up for the grow season!
That's right Max.  It's a good thing we love it, huh?

Back