• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

mpicante said:
Nice grow list.Hope you have a great season!

Thank you, Florissa.  It's not a large list, but I've decided
to just grow my favorites for a few seasons.

I hope your season is off to a great start.

ronaldo_fanbelt said:

Thanks, Ronaldo - going to ChiliFest next Fall?

I always like to play it by ear and see what the family thinks.

Gotta plan ahead, buddy   ;)  Make it a done deal!

Glad to see things are going... you are the cloning master... using the aero this year??

I'm going away from the tiny pods also. I did get a few pods from flexuosum.. and the rhomobium. If I did again I'd do the flex as I like the heat..taste ..and texture of it... rhmobo. No heat. No taste..happy growing .

grantmichaels said:
hi paulg - did you get a padded envelope from me somewhat out of the blue?

Hey, Grant!  Yes, I did, thank you.  Just got back on the forum or
I would have let you know earlier.  

Are those annum or chinense?  

Hope your grow is off to a good start this season.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Glad to see things are going... you are the cloning master... using the aero this year??

I'm going away from the tiny pods also. I did get a few pods from flexuosum.. and the rhomobium. If I did again I'd do the flex as I like the heat..taste ..and texture of it... rhmobo. No heat. No taste..happy growing .

Denniz, good to hear from you buddy.

No aero so far this season, I had enough room on my heat
mat to start everything I'm going to grow out this year.  I'll
probably start some tomatoes, etc. in it in the Spring.

I agree about the rhomboidiom, although it did set a ton of 
little pods.

I hope your grow is proceeding well, good luck this year - I
hope all the mite issues are behind you.

PaulG said:
Hey, Grant!  Yes, I did, thank you.  Just got back on the forum or
I would have let you know earlier.  

Are those annum or chinense

¯\(°_°)/¯

No need to apologize, as I sent them a year late and out of the blue relative to when I planned to - haha ;)

They came from 'the wild,' well, if you consider empty land in Miami 'wild' ...

They are seeds from pods from tiny, orange peppers that grow in a cluster of plants that's kept itself going for year's and year's on some property near an inlet or drainage ditch in West Miami ...

My shop foreman is Peruvian, and they are from an area down there will a bunch of Peruvian's ...

They are not either Wild Brazil version, or *ANY* of the tiny chiltepin/tepin etc from CCN (I grew every one of them to try to figure it out) ...

They didn't taste anything like cumari either ...

The latest possibilities are aji charapita, or the other day someone posted some yellow bird peppers that looked strikingly similar ...

Some people are growing some this year, so we'll see sooner than later ... whether or not it's just a wild cluster of charapita, or if it's just going to remain Mystery Citrus ...

I wasn't sure of the postage, so I wasn't sure if the 3x padded envelopes that I sent actually made it to people ...

Good luck w/ the grow!

:CHEERS:

Thanks for the info Grant.  

Maybe I'll give those a go just for fun,
although I wasn't going to grow any
small pod peppers this season.

PaulG said:
Thanks for the info Grant.  

Maybe I'll give those a go just for fun,
although I wasn't going to grow any
small pod peppers this season.

I totally understand ... harvesting the seeds from them was a real PITA ...

They have a tough little, leathery skin, and are filled w/ densely packed seeds ...

:CHEERS:

stc3248 said:
Best of luck this season Paul!!!!

Thanks, Shane!  Always good to have you check in.

What's up with your deployment/rotation these days?
Are you having a grow and grow log this year?

Trident chilli said:
All the very best Paul for this season

Thanks, John.  Looks like you are off and running this season.

stc3248 said:
Hope so Paul! I have a few more commitments coming up, but I think I can squeeze in a grow!
Me too, Shane - I always enjoy your grow log and awesome pepper grow!

Awesome to see you back again Paul!! Nice little list you have going on as well! I like that there are some of my supplied genetics still on your favourites list ... Best of continued luck bro!!

It's been 8 weeks since the seeds went into the dirt, so this is a good time for a quick update.
I updated my lights to 4-tube fixtures so I could spread the plants out a little.

Plants listed left to right with number of each variety.

Red Bhut Jolokia (4) three are hybrids with purple foliage, Tristen's Mystery Cross F-3 (3), 7 Pot Burgundy (4):
_DSC3210_zpsg6kfltv9.jpg

Red Habanero (4), Primo (2), Fatali (3), Yellow Scorpion (3):
_DSC3211_zps7ndzock3.jpg

Front row:  Chocolate Scotch Bonnet (3), Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (2), Back row: Scotch bonnet TFM (3), Padron (2):
_DSC3205_zpsktpfsf0n.jpg

Aji Amarillo (2), Padron (2):
_DSC3212_zpsrqgmbvid.jpg

Getting some early pods on the Padrons.  Perhaps I started these a bit early   :rolleyes: :
_DSC3208_zpsilqbputl.jpg

More Padrons.  All four plants are setting pods under the lights:
_DSC3207_zpshxkzxu0o.jpg

Two Red Rocotos:
_DSC3213_zpscegskh2r.jpg

That's all I've got for now.  I hope everyone is having a great grow season so far.

Trippa said:
Awesome to see you back again Paul!! Nice little list you have going on as well! I like that there are some of my supplied genetics still on your favourites list ... Best of continued luck bro!!

Thanks, Tristen.  Some of the stuff you sent have become my favorites, for sure.
Be sure to shoot me a PM if you want some seeds - just list what you're looking for.

Pulpiteer said:
Great to see you back and running Paul.  Good luck this season!

Thanks for stopping in, Andy - hope your season is off to a good start.

Devv said:
Good luck this season Paul!

Your grow is always one to watch ;)

Hey, buddy - good to hear from you, Scott.  I hope you've avoided some
of the nasty weather this Winter and Spring.

Back