• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

OCD Chilehead said:
Glad to see your back at it. You always have a nice grow. Love the garden every year.

Thanks, Chuck.  Hope you are getting a good grow underway in Colorado.
az1000 said:
Nice to see you back!
I have some nice plants from your seeds.
Thanks again for the seeds!

I'm glad you are having some success with the seeds, Cat.
I hope you get some awesome pods.
stickman said:
Hi Paul, welcome back from your European trip! I'm definitely looking forward to pics from your grow this year. Cheers!

Thanks, Rick.  I hope you get a chance to look at the europe web site.
We had a great time.
Good luck with your grow this season, Rick - I'm sure you are rockin' by now!

Okay, when did the sucky ads start getting inserted to our pages?
Just a crock of horse pucky.

What a funky distraction.  How can I get rid of them?

Since I've spent so much time working on this:

http://myplace.frontier.com/~paulgriffith2/pix/europe2015.html

that I have neglected my THP page, so I'm going to post some
photos from earlier in the season just so I have a record of what
things looked like earlier in the Spring.

The first five pix are from April 5th.

Fifth year Fatali, made as bonchi last Fall:
IMG_2298_zpsgs2lm7bb.jpg

Out for some fresh air and hardening off; tall ones are Aji Amarillo, the others are Padrons and Tristen's F-3:
IMG_2300_zpsafdaxaie.jpg

Padron peppers with nice early pods:"
IMG_2301_zpshweblyce.jpg

Getting some early Spring sun:
IMG_2302_zpsulzlyiib.jpg

Early flowering in the greenhouse:
IMG_2313_zpsaqgwl1mg.jpg

April 16, more hardening off:
IMG_2315_zpsnpxe6npl.jpg

IMG_2319_zpsfo46yhh3.jpg

April 17:
IMG_2321_zpsjahdxv1n.jpg

April 21 - getting crowded in the greenhouse at night:
IMG_2323_zpsil34bb5k.jpg

April 25 - plants really growing:
IMG_2341_zpswqajbjzk.jpg

I have another post's worth of pix, then I can get some more recent pix up now that my planting out is done.

May 4- I didn't have room for all my plants out in the greenhouse, so I had 8 of them under
lights in the garage; 1 Scotch Bonnet TFM, 3 Yellow Scorpions, 3 Chocolate SB, and 1Fatali:
IMG_2353_zpsrqcdjpxi.jpg

May 8 - Started planting out with the 2 Aji Amarillos (4th gen. peruvian
seed) and 2 Rocotos (first gen. peruvian seed):                                             A nice deep hole for these tall babies.  5" of stem buried:
IMG_2354_zpsp2pglwj1.jpg

IMG_2355_zpsne6g8p43.jpg

Finished off:                                                                                                    Two down, 37 plants to go:
IMG_2356_zpsxzoe9gm8.jpg

IMG_2357_zpsh7lv6a5o.jpg

May 10 - planted out the 2 Rocotos in 15-gal containers; a good number of pods already setting:
IMG_2358_zps7jf8ygr4.jpg

May 11 - Padrons ripening up pods.  They made awesome poppers:
IMG_2359_zpsdbrnb8pt.jpg

Two of the Padrons in their 10-gallon containers by the greenhouse:
IMG_2360_zps3z58hxp8.jpg

May 12 - 4 JA Red Habaneros 3rd generation(Devv and WalkGood) getting some sun:
IMG_2361_zpswrzapjan.jpg

Okay, now I can get some pix of the plant-outs posted.  
Everything is in - just put in the last six on May 24.

az1000 said:
Looking great. very healthy !

Thanks, Nicolau - it's been a good season so far, great weather.
OCD Chilehead said:
Love all the pics. That bonchi is something else. Jukka would be proud.

The little Fatali has set and dropped a couple of pods, but it has lots of flowers, now.

Everything looks great, plants are huge!

That greenhouse looks similar to mine from harborfreight except I don't have the louvers in the back. Is that something you installed after the fact? 

Do you have a shade cloth over it, if so how did you do it over the roof vents?

You come back and Bang!

Great pics and plants Paul!

Glad the vay-kay was a blast, today was the last day of school for us. So we get a break ;)

D3monic said:
Everything looks great, plants are huge!

That greenhouse looks similar to mine from harborfreight except I don't have the louvers in the back. Is that something you installed after the fact? 

Do you have a shade cloth over it, if so how did you do it over the roof vents?

Same greenhouse, Michael.  the thing that looks like louvres is a shelf
folded up in the vertical position.  I bought a set of shelves at Harbor
Freight when I bought the greenhouse.   I do use a shade cloth sometimes,
I just cut out the section for the window.  This year, I just moved the
plants outside when it got too warm.

Thanks for the visit, bud!
Devv said:
You come back and Bang!

Great pics and plants Paul!

Glad the vay-kay was a blast, today was the last day of school for us. So we get a break ;)

Thanks, my friend!  I'm not sure about a bang -
but maybe a small pop?  The pepper gods have
been smiling on PNW this Spring   :cool:

The vacation was really good.  Saw lots of old friends, met
some new ones, and ate some outrageous good food!  We
want to go back in another year or two for a three-month stay.

PaulG said:
Okay, when did the sucky ads start getting inserted to our pages?
Just a crock of horse pucky.

What a funky distraction.  How can I get rid of them?

I don't get them, I always run an adblocker programme. It works quite well, especially on facebook if you have it, you can select sections where you don't want ads, it's a brilliant programme. 

This is a link to the one I use, and I have chrome as a browser.
https://getadblock.com/

Edit - Also, your plants look amazing! 

Comptine said:

I don't get them, I always run an adblocker programme. It works quite well, especially on facebook if you have it, you can select sections where you don't want ads, it's a brilliant programme. 

This is a link to the one I use, and I have chrome as a browser.
https://getadblock.com/

I have to have a look at the program for sure. I'm guessing it allows the download but stops the display. At work I tried to block the ads with our content filter (I do IT for a school district) and if they're blocked the pages won't load.

Thanks for the info!

You are a champ my friend.  You are going to have a killer year/harvest.  Many harvests.  So good to see things are well and I will be watching your wonderful grow.  

OCD Chilehead said:
I just noticed the ads the other day. It's only there when I look at the site, not signed in.

Thanks, buddy - I figured it out finally - duh.

Devv said:
Glad you had a good time one your trip!

I'm right at 3.5 years from retiring...I don't want to rush my life, but I can't wait until I am free! ;)

You can do it standing on your head, my friend - 3.5 years will go by so fast.

stickman said:
Wow Paul... you're really back with a bang! :dance:  I'm lovin' those pics... ripe Padron pods already... far freakin' out!

The second round of Padrons started ripening up yesterday.  
Can't wait for more poppers!  Unfortunately I have a small problem (or big)
with my grow.  More on that below.

Comptine said:

Thanks - they got off to a good start, but things are starting to get dicey now.

Sanarda said:
You are a champ my friend.  You are going to have a killer year/harvest.  Many harvests.  So good to see things are well and I will be watching your wonderful grow.  

Pia!  Great to hear from you!  I hope that there is a harvest, and if so, the pods are decent.
I imagine your grow is going full bore!

In the photos below, you can probably see that a lot of the plants have had many leaves removed.  
Unfortunately, I have wound  up with a bacterial spot infection on many of my plants.  It's a soil borne
disease that comes from tainted  seeds, and is spread by leaf hoppers and other insects. Either seeds
I got from elsewhere, or my own seed  stock got infected last year and I missed it. So, next year, I may
have to grow resistant varieties and be very  careful where I get my seeds from - I hate to lose some of
the lines I have going, but if the plants are badly  infected, the pods will be small and the plants not as
robust.  There is no cure except for using copper sprays which in excess are not good for pods and
plants, and is not guaranteed to work, in any case.  I read an  article by some of the CPI gurus about this,
and it sounds pretty dismal.  I don't really want to try to replace about 550 gallons of soil in all my containers!

I have stripped the worst of the leaves off of all the plants so some of them look kind of bare as you can see
here. I had already decided to keep the lower stems bare this season to promote upper branch growth so
that probably made the problem less severe since the bacteria is also transmitted when water splashes soil
up on the leaves when it rains.  This is the main grow section in the back yard: 
IMG_2492_zpsfultq0vm.jpg

The front yard section - Chocolate Bhuts, Red Habs, Primos and Padrons:
IMG_2463_zps63k60dpb.jpg

This is the irrigation I'm using this year to try to get a more even
distribution of water in the container soil:
IMG_2458_zpsytzkyitf.jpg

IMG_2457_zpseycw9yjo.jpg

Back yard Padrons:
IMG_2495_zpsk10n0oif.jpg

The Chocolate Scotch Bonnets and Yellow Scorpions (left side) get some partial shade:
IMG_2493_zpsvdycnmcj.jpg

The Rocoto pods are growing bigger:
IMG_2494_zpsisjitjg7.jpg

So far, the Aji Amarillos, Chocolate Bonnets, Padrons and Rocotos seem to be resisting the infection in
pretty good shape, but there is evidence on them, too.  As for the rest, some varieties seem more susceptible
than others - the past three or four days of over 100˚F in the back yard have stressed the plants.  Time will tell.  
I'll just have to keep picking off infected leaves when they get too bad, and try to minimize insects on my plants.  
Not the way I wanted the season to develop. but what can I say?  I'll try to update on the problem periodically.  
Hopefully, there will still be a season!

Seems like this season is a challenge for some of us this year. I'm sure you'll do fine though!
If I remember correctly Shane used a tad of aspirin to treat his plants some time ago, although I forget what for. Also the soil can be solarized to kill pathogens as well.

Good luck with your grow!

Back