• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019 - Three Gallon Grow

Decided to put links to my other threads in the first post
of my new threads so I can find them easily when looking for
information. Did that this year on the first page and it is
very handy:

PaulG 2012
PaulG 2013
PaulG 2014
PaulG 2015
PaulG 2016
PaulG 2017
PaulG 2019

So, this thread is sort of a sub-thread to my regular 2019 Grow Log.

I am growing ten plants in 3-gallon pots this season.

Thinking about this because I want to be able to move
them in and out of the garage or greenhouse this Fall in
order to extend the season. Plus, I am not sure how much
longer I want to wrestle with the big containers. Even wet
10-gallon pots are getting heavier each year, and always
having to get help to lift the big containers in and out of their
saucers is getting to be a drag.

This thread will concentrate on just the 3-gallon plants. If I
can get decent production from a 3-gallon Pot, that would
be great. I think that will be the case based on my grow of
the Aji Amarillo plants in 2-gallon pots in 2017.

The ten plants included in this mini-grow:
  • JA Red Habanero
  • Yellow Scorpion
  • SLR cross
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Peruvian Red Rocoto
  • Chiltepin
  • Goats Weed
  • c. chacoense
  • BJ Hybrid (3-inch pod)
  • ? - probably Mark's (Dragon49) PdNxBJ if it arrives healthy and I can get it going!.

PaulG said:
Interesting observation, TG. I am always amazed by
how much plant can grow in a smaller pot!

I wish I had a proper experiment going, but all I have to go by is observation. I've stuck with smaller pots because our season is so short I figure there's really no point in anything bigger than a 3 gal. Plus I can conserve container mix which I reuse year to year. We seem to have success. I'd have to say, for us anyway, an early start is more important than a bigger pot.

Merry Christmas from Mr. Sausage
3B49B706-3487-4A72-87A1-32DC55FF4655.jpeg

Sri Lanka Chili, cross.

PaulG said:
Yeah, pubescens varieties like the shade and cooler temps.
Too much heat/sun and the flowers just drop off.

I have three pubescens varieties growing this year and they are all in full sunlight 19 hours per day. The Manzano Rojos and Montufars are both producing prolifically but my Pico Mucho only has 7 pods on it (though they are very large to be honest) despite being in a yuuuuuuge planter box. After setting those 7 pods, it basically dropped shitloads of flowers and refused to set pod number 8.

Then again we don't know real heat here in Finland - our summer daytime highs average 21c (70f). Our UV index is also around 5 during the peak of summer, which is quite low. I am also situated right at sea level. As a whole, though, pubescens grow wonderfully here but they do require massive sized pots to reach their full potential - 3 gallon pots are just not going to cut the mustard in this case. I had one of my Montufars in a 3 gallon pot and had to end up transplanting it to a 7 gallon pot at some point during July as it just grew so large that it became top heavy.

Totally inspired by your 3 gallon grow, Paul, I have all of my annuums sitting in pots that size and they are producing heavily. There are a few of them that look exactly like a stick with a few leaves and a ton of pods. Also growing 3 California Wonders in those and they produce more than we can eat.

Would I grow pubescens, chinense or baccatum varieties in 3 gal? No, definitely not when growing outside as I am not able to babysit them full time. If I had a greenhouse where wind was not a problem and things could be tied from the roof, then that is a completely different story. However, for annuums and frutescens I have found wonderful success in the 3 gallon pots (last year, I was growing some of these in 1 gallon pots and not doing nearly as well as this year).

timegoat said:

I wish I had a proper experiment going, but all I have to go by is observation. I've stuck with smaller pots because our season is so short I figure there's really no point in anything bigger than a 3 gal. Plus I can conserve container mix which I reuse year to year. We seem to have success. I'd have to say, for us anyway, an early start is more important than a bigger pot.

Paul, how long is your outdoor growing season there in Oregon? Here in southern Finland, we basically have from maybe second week of May until end of September, maybe mid October if we are lucky. I normally start my stuff inside during end of March / beginning of April so that it is not too massive in size before I am able to move it outside. By early to mid August, most things here have generally grown to an obscene size.

podz said:

Paul, how long is your outdoor growing season there in Oregon? Here in southern Finland, we basically have from maybe second week of May until end of September, maybe mid October if we are lucky. I normally start my stuff inside during end of March / beginning of April so that it is not too massive in size before I am able to move it outside. By early to mid August, most things here have generally grown to an obscene size.
You are at about 60 degrees North latitude, and we
are at about 45 degrees, so your summer days are
longer than ours. Our grow season is pretty similar.
Our temperatures are hotter by about 10F on average,
I imagine. Sounds like you have great pepper weather!

PaulG said:
You are at about 60 degrees North latitude, and we
are at about 45 degrees, so your summer days are
longer than ours. Our grow season is pretty similar.
Our temperatures are hotter by about 10F on average,
I imagine. Sounds like you have great pepper weather!

Well, great for everything except chinense - they just don't dig this moderate climate. Last summer was the hottest in recorded history and I still had to bring them inside for a month to get them to ripen.

The 3-gallon Red Rocoto has done well. You can see
the second round pods on the bottom growth. So far,
I have harvested 7-8 pods , and there are/were a dozen
around the bottom.
IMG_2127.JPG

The tall growth came up after plant-out, and basically tried
to shoot straight up into the shade of the Japanese Maple.
If that wasn't enough, it has recently set 6 new pods, and
is flowering right along.
IMG_2122.JPG

lespaulde said:
Haha, it literally looks like the young apple tree we just planted at home - definitely an ambitious fella!

Nice to see production has started for you my friend, harvesting is seriously one of the best times too :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Oh, yeah, that is what its all anbout!

Time to put some of the three gallon plants into the
greenhouse for seasons end. Chiltepin, c. Chacoense,
Goats Weed, Red Rocoto, BJ hybrid:
56FDA193-7561-496E-9C1E-16CB9156F76B.jpeg

Same scene with the Aji Amarillo inside:
C813C6DD-2E71-4394-BFE3-9EE7C60E53AF.jpeg

Devv said:
Do you have any issues keeping the greenhouse cool this time of the year?
Not really , Scott. Our hot weather is past. Just
keeping the door and a window open is sufficient
this time of year.

Pulled the ripe Aji Amarillos. Still about a dozen
green ones left on the plant.
4BEA5418-7705-4AFC-A681-D4FA169657BE.jpeg

A tiny bit of action in the 3-gallon greenhouse plants...

BJ hybrid, looks like a red version:
194DECB3-47A0-48AA-9D64-A131D8C46BEA.jpeg

Goats Weed:
14B63A07-4643-403A-8977-A60DFC6F0C3B.jpeg

C. Chacoense finally starting to ripen:
71D18CB9-B7C5-4BD6-9BF4-1355F76F0B05.jpeg

Chiltepin. Has gone through some ups and downs this season:
76DB7045-064D-47C0-9ED5-4DA336BC40EC.jpeg

Man, every time you post a pic of the Goats Weed I stop and take a second look. Beautiful plant Paul.

DownRiver said:
Man, every time you post a pic of the Goats Weed I stop and take a second look. Beautiful plant Paul.
Thanks, DR. One of my favorites I haven't grown for awhile.
These are from 2014 seed, so I was happy they germinated
(quite well, actually.) Seed originally came from Stc3248.

I hope to have at least enough pods for some seed sharing.  

The 3-gallon container suited the plant very well. They can
get large in a large container, and the 3's are easy to move.

Back