• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

DWB said:
Then I tried Carolina Sapphire (Arizona Cypress) and find them to be superior. I can't believe how fast they grow. The 2017 seven gallon one of these has already outgrown the 2015 and 2016 fifteen gallon Arbor Vitae. They're also very beautiful with their blue coloring.

+1 on Arizona Cypress!  We put an Arizona Blue Ice Cypress in as a specimen tree last October and love it!

And Paul, loving your berries!  If only I had the room.....

DWB said:
Wow, I never would have guessed Arbor Vitae. I've planted quite a few Arbor Vitae Green Giant around here as landscape/memorial trees. Every year we get one as a living Christmas tree. When the nice, large "grown in pot" Eastern Red Cedar became unavailable, I switched to the Arbor Vitae for a while.Then I tried Carolina Sapphire (Arizona Cypress) and find them to be superior. I can't believe how fast they grow. The 2017 seven gallon one of these has already outgrown the 2015 and 2016 fifteen gallon Arbor Vitae. They're also very beautiful with their blue coloring.

nmlarson said:
+1 on Arizona Cypress!  We put an Arizona Blue Ice Cypress in as a specimen tree last October and love it!

Sounds beautiful, my friends!
I will look for them in your grow logs!

Mildfruit said:
Wow Paul! So jealous on your Amarillo plant, its gorgeous! Glad to see your plants are thriving (as expected) also those flowers on the F7 is something else :party:
The Ajis are prolific, alright.
One of my favorites.

I think Tristens cross is one of the most
beautiful varieties I have grown. The purple
foliage is almost black in the sun, but glows
purple.

PaulG said:

Sounds beautiful, my friends!
I will look for them in your grow logs!

They are in there but would be very difficult to find amongst all the other trees. This will be easier. Planting dates December 31 all years.

h973NKf.jpg

po7myJY.jpg

Nothing to post pepper-wise, but the Shiryu No Homare
azalea (aka Spider Azalea) has started blooming. It is
the last of the rhododendron species to bloom in our yard
each Spring/Summer:
DDFE1255-D9C2-4510-863F-24B99DDB0CD4.jpeg

Welcome to the color confusion party!!! I've got browns that were supposed to be red...green that were supposed to be brown...green that were supposed to be yellow...yellow that were supposed to be red...bleeding calyxes that shouldn't be bleeding.  Funny you have a red that was supposed to be chocolate bhut, I have one that was supposed to be a red bhut that came out chocolate! Sometimes these surprises are kinda cool though, I really love the two green pod plants. Another interesting anomaly is I have some wicked looking chocolate pods on a bhutalah plant with almost no heat at all!!! The awesome thing is they look like the rest of my chocolate bhutlah pods on the two other plants, so I could REALLY mess with some folks... :fireball:  :rofl: need to isolate that one  fo-show!

I have never fermented pods, and I don't have any
of the stuff to do it. I will give most of these to my
neighbors since I haven't given them any yet this
season.  I'll just have to hope for some more pods
to experiment with.

PaulG said:
I have never fermented pods, and I don't have any
of the stuff to do it. I will give most of these to my
neighbors since I haven't given them any yet this
season.  I'll just have to hope for some more pods
to experiment with.

its not hard at all and its super cheap.  you've got to give it a try.  esp with beautiful pods like that.

BDASPNY said:

its not hard at all and its super cheap.  you've got to give it a try.  esp with beautiful pods like that.
I'd be curious to hear about your favourite method, any links or details you could share? ;) I'm also completely new to fermenting, but if possible, would love to give it a try!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
I'd be curious to hear about your favourite method, any links or details you could share? ;) I'm also completely new to fermenting, but if possible, would love to give it a try!

this thread has a ton of information on how to and different methods.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/

I used this simple kit with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Masontops-Pebbles-Pipes-Mason-Fermentation/dp/B01ITT6UB6/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?crid=2WGPQHPLBRTQW&keywords=fermentation+kit&qid=1562180937&s=gateway&sprefix=fermenta%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-20-spons&psc=1

BDASPNY said:
Thanks a lot, the thread and the Amazon link are super useful! Doesn't seem like it takes much no, just a good harvest of pods and minor equipment; fingers crossed for the former! ;)

Back