• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper companion in the garden

Ocimum basilicum Magical Michael
It attracts bees.
It also supposedly repels nasty aphids, mites, and tomato hornworms.
Sounds like a good friend to have in the garden.
--------------------
From parkseeds

Magical Michael is a very floriferous, wonderfully scented mounded plant. We grew it in our trial gardens last summer, and it attracted more bees than other plant we have ever grown, period.

The plant forms a nice, plump mound 12 to 18 inches tall and 12 to 17 inches wide, topped by hundreds (maybe thousands!) of tiny cream-colored flowers (from purple calyces) all summer long. The foliage is so fragrant that to brush against it is to start your mouth watering for Italian food! This is a perfect choice for the vegetable garden as well as the border and bed, because it repels aphids, mites, and tomato hornworms.

I have Genovese Basil growing and no shortage of bees. I haven't noticed any pests on my chiles or tomatoes. But all my stuff is potted.

Resurrection time...

So basil is a good companion plant for chilli, and I read somewhere else that garlic is good too. Any other thoughts about companion plantings?

RS

habman said:
Ocimum basilicum Magical Michael
It attracts bees.
It also supposedly repels nasty aphids, mites, and tomato hornworms.
Sounds like a good friend to have in the garden.
--------------------
From parkseeds

Magical Michael is a very floriferous, wonderfully scented mounded plant. We grew it in our trial gardens last summer, and it attracted more bees than other plant we have ever grown, period.

The plant forms a nice, plump mound 12 to 18 inches tall and 12 to 17 inches wide, topped by hundreds (maybe thousands!) of tiny cream-colored flowers (from purple calyces) all summer long. The foliage is so fragrant that to brush against it is to start your mouth watering for Italian food! This is a perfect choice for the vegetable garden as well as the border and bed, because it repels aphids, mites, and tomato hornworms.

thank you habman will be putting this in my garden next year,keep the pests away and attract those o so wonderful bees :)

I grow Magic Michael and several other basils too. They smell great, taste great and fight off the bad critters as well. What's not to like? Lol.

Jackie

I have a couple of different basils here. One is called Sweet Thai Basil and the other one is Italian Large Leaf Basil. Anybody know if these would have the same effect or is there something unique about this Magical Michael variety?

Basil comes in many varities but they should all work the same as far as companion planting, they'll be good company for your peppers.

Jackie

i grow three varieties, but mind dont attract bees because i dont let them flower. i'll have to try it next season though.

Good information - thanks a lot!

I have heard about this before but it seems to have slipped my mind. I'll definitely keep it in mind for next season!

The midday flower also keep various nasties away, they get planted a lot among vegetables for that reason (and they look nice), seems the smell is hard to take if you got six legs and aren't a bee!

Mt uncle told me to keep Basil by my peppers..i didn't next year i will and thank`s to some Advice from a Portuguese friend on basil types :)

Back